Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-30-2009   #1
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Anyone want another SB in Houston again?

For years after we had out first one, I wanted another one. I partied in downtown just about every day of that whole entire week. By the weekend time though Downtown became like a mini Mardi Gra and I thought it was to much.

I'm not sure that I want another SB coming to Houston again with all of the crazy traffic and parties everywhere at places where I normally go to hang out at, but the prices and door fees get attached because of the SB weekend and it makes things sort of annoying in my opinion. After the SB a lot of the bad crowds started hanging out in Down town as well making a lot of the club owners and bar owners to have to change locations.

What are others thoughts on this? Would you guys want another SB to come to Houston in the next few years or would you guys rather have them have it somewhere else?
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009   #2
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3753 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Anyone want another SB in Houston again?

Let someone else have it...
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009   #3
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 20333 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't mind hosting a Super Bowl, or three. I'd sure as hell rather be in it though. The things you say about clubs and stuff isn't true. The Super Bowl in 2004 helped Downtown more than anything.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009   #4
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not worried. It would be sweet candy A$$ if the Texans go in 2011 ... (I hope sooner but esp 2011)

I don't think a movie could script it any better.

Texans 2011 superbowl, in Dallas stadium (whatever they are going to call it)

Salt in the wounds for some Dallas fans(esp if Dallas isn't there)

I am not one that really like championship games between the same state (i'e philly and steelers, or mets and Yankees)

but I would have a blast on a Texan-Cowboys superbowl
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009   #5
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

It's THE game.

For a week your city is THE place to be.

It's something the city can hang its hat on for years to come..hey we had the SB here and it was great.

It all sounds good to me. Take the tourists money and have a week where you maybe are inconvenienced a little bit. Not so bad.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009   #6
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
I wouldn't mind hosting a Super Bowl, or three. I'd sure as hell rather be in it though. The things you say about clubs and stuff isn't true. The Super Bowl in 2004 helped Downtown more than anything.
You're way off on that. It killed down town's classier elements and brought in the younger crowds that most places didn't want. It brought in the younger crowds that the bar owners and club owners that were doing really well didn't want. Many of them had to leave and that was when everything moved to MIDTOWN. That was the birth of Midtown shortly after that. You're to young to understand this.

Now just about everything Downtown is for the younger crowds and has a lot of the thugs out there. I have plenty of friends that live out there and buddies that were promoters and club owners at the time and they all hated what happened after the SB. It brought in more traffic to Downtown, but not the kind of traffic that the people living there wanted nor was it the kind of traffic that the successful up scale bars wanted either.
Old 01-30-2009   #7
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
I am not worried. It would be sweet candy A$$ if the Texans go in 2011 ... (I hope sooner but esp 2011)

I don't think a movie could script it any better.

Texans 2011 superbowl, in Dallas stadium (whatever they are going to call it)

Salt in the wounds for some Dallas fans(esp if Dallas isn't there)

I am not one that really like championship games between the same state (i'e philly and steelers, or mets and Yankees)

but I would have a blast on a Texan-Cowboys superbowl
THat would be fantastic.
Sponsored links
Old 01-30-2009   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 282778 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought it was cool and would welcome another one.

But I don't party, so I could care less what happened to the scene.

However, the NFL Experience was top-notched, and I would really enjoy taking both my boys to check it out.
Old 01-30-2009   #9
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Good revenue for the city. I'd love to have another superbowl here, I missed out on the first one. Of course, I probably wouldn't go to the game but I'd still like it to be here.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009   #10
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

If history repeats itself, it will be the year 2030 before we see another one.
Old 01-30-2009   #11
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd love to see another Super Bowl in Houston but unfortunately Texan Bill is probably right. The NFL simply does not like holding it's big game in Houston. There's no other real explanation for it. Sometimes 'they" like you and sometimes they don't. They don't really much care for this town and nothing can seemingly change that. We can do every single thing right and it won't matter. They'd rather go elsewhere and I believe that once Jerry's palace gets built up there with it's enormous seating the NFL will likely never look at Houston again.

We'll just have to settle for playing in them (I hope).
Old 01-30-2009   #12
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 27093 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

I had a good time. By Super Bowl day I was almost at the point of exhaustion. I had a good time at the opening ceremony, the NFL Experience, the gospel show, the party over at the Hilton, and downtown was a blast. Oh yeah, and the game was awesome. When it gets to be to much I will just keep my old self at home.

I haven't been throughout the downtown area to observe the club scene, and haven't been in a club downtown since the Super Bowl, except for that bar across the street from MinuteMaid (Home Plate, if not mistaken). The times spent in the theater district, especially observing events over at Bayou Place, the people I see hanging out there don't strike me as thugs. However, I am pretty down to earth and laid back so someone has to basically be acting a plum fool to get my attention. Now, I have seen some of that rowdy behavior at just about every large event in town and imagine that same person probably puts on a suit on Monday morning and act as though he had played golf and watched old movies all weekend.

As for the question of another H-Town Super Bowl, as former President Bush would say, "Bring It On."
StarStruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009   #13
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
If history repeats itself, it will be the year 2030 before we see another one.
I'd love one again. It was fun, it was beneficial to the city (both financially, and from a PR standpoint), and hopefully, any minor annoyances that it would cause would be tolerated for the greater good.

With all that, I'm not optimistic about getting one. I went to Super Bowl 37 in San Diego (Bucs vs. Raiders), knowing that the next one was going to be here. While in SD, I was able to visit Tijuana, the SD Zoo, Coronado Island, the Gaslamp (partying) district, along with a few other touristy venues, and I've got to be honest - one of my recurring thoughts the whole time was "What are folks going to do next year in Houston besides play golf, and get drunk?". Having experienced this city first hand during SB 38, I'm still not sure what the answer to that question was.

We're a wonderful city. I've lived here almost 25 years, and would cringe at the idea of moving anywhere else. If you want to relocate your firm HQ, there's all sorts of reasons to come to Houston, but if you're looking for a convention/party/what happens in <fill in the blank> stays in <fill in the blank> type of place, there's probably a number of choices you'd like better. The fortunate reality (for those of us residing in the Houston area) is we're a nice place to live, but all too many wouldn't want to visit here.
Old 01-30-2009   #14
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 20333 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
You're way off on that. It killed down town's classier elements and brought in the younger crowds that most places didn't want. It brought in the younger crowds that the bar owners and club owners that were doing really well didn't want. Many of them had to leave and that was when everything moved to MIDTOWN. That was the birth of Midtown shortly after that. You're to young to understand this.
I'm too young to understand this? Bro, Midtown was already becoming a hotspot before the Super Bowl. There was already redevelopment going up in Midtown (as well as the line down to Montrose/Museum District/TMC). Much was in anticipation for the light rail line. Clubs Downtown are thriving. Having clubs Downtown is just part of what the City is doing to make Downtown lively at nights and on the weekend. Cities like Denver blow Houston's Downtown out of the water. With the addition of Discovery Green, Houston Pavilions, and other residential/hotel developments Downtown, AS WELL AS the clubs, Downtown is definitely turning around. The "classiness" can stay in River Oaks.

Quote:
Now just about everything Downtown is for the younger crowds and has a lot of the thugs out there. I have plenty of friends that live out there and buddies that were promoters and club owners at the time and they all hated what happened after the SB. It brought in more traffic to Downtown, but not the kind of traffic that the people living there wanted nor was it the kind of traffic that the successful up scale bars wanted either.
What's wrong with things being for the younger crowd Downtown? A good thing about being in a big city like Houston, is that there are other places to party. I'm sure the grown folk can go somewhere else if they are afraid of young people.
Old 01-30-2009   #15
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
I'd love one again. It was fun, it was beneficial to the city (both financially, and from a PR standpoint), and hopefully, any minor annoyances that it would cause would be tolerated for the greater good.

With all that, I'm not optimistic about getting one. I went to Super Bowl 37 in San Diego (Bucs vs. Raiders), knowing that the next one was going to be here. While in SD, I was able to visit Tijuana, the SD Zoo, Coronado Island, the Gaslamp (partying) district, along with a few other touristy venues, and I've got to be honest - one of my recurring thoughts the whole time was "What are folks going to do next year in Houston besides play golf, and get drunk?". Having experienced this city first hand during SB 38, I'm still not sure what the answer to that question was.

We're a wonderful city. I've lived here almost 25 years, and would cringe at the idea of moving anywhere else. If you want to relocate your firm HQ, there's all sorts of reasons to come to Houston, but if you're looking for a convention/party/what happens in <fill in the blank> stays in <fill in the blank> type of place, there's probably a number of choices you'd like better. The fortunate reality (for those of us residing in the Houston area) is we're a nice place to live, but all too many wouldn't want to visit here.
Houston is getting better. By the time we get another Super Bowl, Houston will have the following (it has some of it already): Discovery Green Park (already a hit), Houston Pavilions (good shopping and House of Blues), clubs Downtown, 38 miles of new light rail lines (depending on when we get our next game, we'll have more), new shopping developments in Uptown, commuter rail to Galveston (so Schlitterbahn, Moody Gardens, The Strand, and Beach), Earth Quest Adventures (1600 acre theme park in New Caney), etc. There is plenty to do in Houston for at least a week, if not more.
Old 01-30-2009   #16
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post

You're preaching to the choir... Unfortunately 1974 to 2002 = 28 years. 2002 + 28 years = 2030.

And as Herv pointed out, the NFL doesn't seem to share the same appreciation and enthusiasm that we all do for H-Town.
Old 01-30-2009   #17
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
You're preaching to the choir... Unfortunately 1974 to 2002 = 28 years. 2002 + 28 years = 2030.

And as Herv pointed out, the NFL doesn't seem to share the same appreciation and enthusiasm that we all do for H-Town.
I don't know, maybe not now . The NCAA sure loves us. The NFL will turn around soon enough. Houston did a great job in 2004.
Old 01-30-2009   #18
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I'm too young to understand this? Bro, Midtown was already becoming a hotspot before the Super Bowl. There was already redevelopment going up in Midtown (as well as the line down to Montrose/Museum District/TMC). Much was in anticipation for the light rail line. Clubs Downtown are thriving. Having clubs Downtown is just part of what the City is doing to make Downtown lively at nights and on the weekend. Cities like Denver blow Houston's Downtown out of the water. With the addition of Discovery Green, Houston Pavilions, and other residential/hotel developments Downtown, AS WELL AS the clubs, Downtown is definitely turning around. The "classiness" can stay in River Oaks.

What's wrong with things being for the younger crowd Downtown? A good thing about being in a big city like Houston, is that there are other places to party. I'm sure the grown folk can go somewhere else if they are afraid of young people.
Several of my friends were business owners over there and I have several friends are restaurant GM's that worked out there around the time and many of the places that they worked at out there suffered later on down the stretch and a lot of it had to do with newer crowds coming out there which resulted in a lot of the current crowds that had been out there to go to other areas and places. A lot of the newer crowds weren't spending the same kind of money and didn't bring the revenue with them. As a result many places had to go elsewhere. My buddies talk about it all the time.

You're right that they are trying to build back the class appeal out there but it isn't easy. They just got that House Of Blues out there and that should help some, but there is a long way to go.
Old 01-30-2009   #19
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Houston is getting better. By the time we get another Super Bowl, Houston will have the following (it has some of it already): Discovery Green Park (already a hit), Houston Pavilions (good shopping and House of Blues), clubs Downtown, 38 miles of new light rail lines (depending on when we get our next game, we'll have more), new shopping developments in Uptown, commuter rail to Galveston (so Schlitterbahn, Moody Gardens, The Strand, and Beach), Earth Quest Adventures (1600 acre theme park in New Caney), etc. There is plenty to do in Houston for at least a week, if not more.
Earth Quest Adventures almost seems too good to be true...especially now. But yeah....downtown and surrounding areas would be much much better the next time around. Last time it was basically the new rail/mainstreet that we had completed and was at the very beginning of the construction boom we are still in.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009   #20
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
Earth Quest Adventures almost seems too good to be true...especially now. But yeah....downtown and surrounding areas would be much much better the next time around. Last time it was basically the new rail/mainstreet that we had completed and was at the very beginning of the construction boom we are still in.
It really isn't too good to be true though. There have been updates on it as recently as two weeks ago from the Chronicle. It's happening and one of the things that will put people to work.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read