Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-30-2009   #1
InterestedJeff
Rookie

Rep Power: 7 InterestedJeff is on the Pro-Bowl ballotInterestedJeff is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Johnson VS Fitzgerald via 1st and 10

One of the topics today on 1st and 10 was "Is Fitzgerald overrated." To my suprise, both Skip Bayless and Eric Casilious, who I normally dispise, said yes. Both of them said Andre Johnson was the best in the NFL and that the reason Fitzgerald is getting so much run is because ESPN does nothing but talk about how great he is.

I know most of us probablly agree with them on this one. All of us here in Houston love AJ. Its just nice to see him get some national love as well.

GO TEXANS!
InterestedJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009   #2
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Johnson VS Fitzgerald via 1st and 10

Fitzgerald is a great player. I wouldn't consider him to be overrated.

I would actually just say that AJ is underrated.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009   #3
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 114610 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post

That's pretty much where I'm at...no reason to bash Fitz to make AJ look better. I sure wouldn't drop either of them off MY roster!
Old 01-30-2009   #4
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I feel dirty agreeing with Skip Bayless about anything. Even if he said the sky was blue, I'd still feel like I was agreeing with a professional troll.
Old 01-30-2009   #5
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Fitz is a monster. Aj is as well. These two are 1a and 1b, people just don't see that because they don't tell everyone they are.
Old 01-30-2009   #6
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

You also have to look at the division Fitz plays in. Getting to the playoffs, gets you the recognition, and going to the Super Bowl claims your fame. It's easier for Fitz to do it right now because of how he can get in the playoffs. It would've taken us a 12-13 win season for AJ to even smell playoffs.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009   #7
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
You also have to look at the division Fitz plays in. Getting to the playoffs, gets you the recognition, and going to the Super Bowl claims your fame. It's easier for Fitz to do it right now because of how he can get in the playoffs. It would've taken us a 12-13 win season for AJ to even smell playoffs.
I agree with that, but when you take your team on your back and drag them to victory, you deserve some credit.
Old 01-30-2009   #8
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Fitz has put up Jerry Rice type playoff numbers..better even..so that is far from overrated. But I refuse to take Skip's bait, that is all he does and is the Justice mentor. BOTH are great and I agree with bah007, it is more AJ being underrated.
Old 01-30-2009   #9
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Good points by all. Fitz is definitely being showcased the last few weeks, the perks of making the playoffs I suppose. That being said he is quite awesome and there is no need to bash either one of them. There should be no arguement that the NFC West is not the toughest division/road to the playoffs.

Take away all the media hype, especially produced in overdrive by ESPN and you are left with two fantastically talented receivers.

If I was to compare them head to head, I think Fitz looks a little more graceful going up and high pointing the ball with the balance and body control and AJ is more just powerful than finesse, he'll just manhandle the ball away from a defender. They are both good route runners, not sure who is faster, I would think AJ is from watching TV from my couch. They are both tough enough to go across the middle as well. So like someone said, 1A and 1B. But for my money, I give the edge to AJ.
Old 01-30-2009   #10
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I love how respectable both wideouts are. I think Andre is better, but I wouldn't call Fitzgerald overated at all. Fitzgerald has had more hype to him since joining the league. I feel Andre has always been forgotten about nationally, until this year. People across the country are finally coming to the realization of how good he really is.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009   #11
Polo

Fitzgerald is better at catching. AJ is better after the catch has been made.
Old 01-30-2009   #12
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94174 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone calling Fitzgerald over rated should be punched in the face.

The real answer between both of them as to who is better is both answers. They are both great WR's and play great for the their teams. Fitz is just getting more pub from everyone right now because he has been the only WR playing each week and in the playoffs he has been by far the best so that is all that anyone is looking at and Fitzgerald is fresh on their minds while AJ hasn't been playing in weeks.

THis year AJ, Roddy White, Steve Smith, Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, and Bolden all had fantastic seasons in the team situations that they were in and you could almost make a case for anyone of them. Most of us in here would want to say AJ because he plays for the Texans and he is our guy.

At the end of the day though after watching the kinds of plays that Calvin Johnson made this year I think he is probably the most talented.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009   #13
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Both are talented.. but I give the nod to AJ , he had to play a few seasons with "who we dare not mention is name"

Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post

What he said.

Both are sick WRs who are going to be commonly mentioned (barring injury) as being at the top for their position for some time to come. Fitz is getting his attention because of the play-offs. AJ finally got his because he is just that darn good despite being on the Texans. Hanging 200+ on a top D sure didn't hurt that.

Funny--google AJ and this was one of the top links--AJ--The Unrespected
Old 01-30-2009   #15
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94174 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Both are talented.. but I give the nod to AJ , he had to play a few seasons with "who we dare not mention is name"

Look at what Calvin Johnson had to play with this year? He was in maybe even worse of a situation.

Look at what Fitzgerald and Bolden had to play with for several years. They had all kinds of bad QB's over there in Arizona and no running game to help them out either. AJ isn't the only great WR that has been hampered down from having horrible QB situations.

I don't really think their is one best WR in the league. Last year you could have made that argument for Randy Moss because he had 23 TD's and was dominating everyone, but that was for that one season. TO was amazing as well the year before.

I think going into next season it will be AJ, Fitzgerald,Calvin Johnson, Steve Smith, Roddy White ,Moss (If Brady is playing), and Bolden (Depending on where he goes).

All of those guys will be the front runners and the best in the game. It will just be a matter of who gets injured and for how long and how their QB's play as well.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009   #16
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Look at what Calvin Johnson had to play with this year? He was in maybe even worse of a situation.

Look at what Fitzgerald and Bolden had to play with for several years. They had all kinds of bad QB's over there in Arizona and no running game to help them out either. AJ isn't the only great WR that has been hampered down from having horrible QB situations.

I don't really think their is one best WR in the league. Last year you could have made that argument for Randy Moss because he had 23 TD's and was dominating everyone, but that was for that one season. TO was amazing as well the year before.

I think going into next season it will be AJ, Fitzgerald,Calvin Johnson, Steve Smith, Roddy White ,Moss (If Brady is playing), and Bolden (Depending on where he goes).

All of those guys will be the front runners and the best in the game. It will just be a matter of who gets injured and for how long and how their QB's play as well.
true, I should have added a smiley on it LOL
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009   #17
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

The only clear advantage Fitzgerald has over AJ is hands...beyond that...I'd say as a complete package WR Andre Johnson is #1 in the world of football.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009   #18
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Johnson VS Fitzgerald via 1st and 10

Without looking at one stat - wasn't Boldin the Cardinal beast until his face got smashed? My impression is that Fitz has done GREAT things in the POST SEASON. As such, awesome. Some great highlight reel plays. I would not, however, say he's one of the best because of a handful of games.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009   #19
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

AJ: 115 receptions, 1575 yards, 13.7 average, 8 TDs
6 year career: 486 receptions (81 per year), 6379 yards (1063 per year), 13.1 average, 33 TDs (5.5 per year)
6'3" 223
4.43 40 time

Fitz: 96 receptions, 1431 yards, 14.9 average, 12 TDs
5 year career: 426 receptions (85 per year), 5975 yards (1195 per year), 14.0 average, 46 TDs (9.2 per year)
6'3 220
4.53 40 time

Boldin: 89 receptinons, 1038 yards, 11.7 average, 11 TDs
6 year career: 502 receptions (83.6 per year), 6496 yards (1082 per year), 12.9 average, 40 TDs (6.6 per year)
6'1 217
4.71 40 time

Pretty close

Last edited by gtexan02; 01-30-2009 at 05:37 PM.
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009   #20
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
AJ: 115 receptions, 1575 yards, 13.7 average, 8 TDs
6 year career: 486 receptions (81 per year), 6379 yards (1063 per year), 13.1 average, 33 TDs (5.5 per year)
6'3" 223
4.43 40 time

Fitz: 96 receptions, 1431 yards, 14.9 average, 12 TDs
5 year career: 426 receptions (85 per year), 5975 yards (1195 per year), 14.0 average, 46 TDs (9.2 per year)
6'3 220
4.53 40 time

Boldin: 89 receptinons, 1038 yards, 11.7 average, 11 TDs
6 year career: 502 receptions (83.6 per year), 6496 yards (1082 per year), 12.9 average, 40 TDs (6.6 per year)
6'1 217
4.71 40 time

Pretty close
That's a MASSIVE TD differential.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read