Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-28-2009   #21
Drew_Smoke
@Drew_Smoke

Section: 117 FF
Rep Power: 611 Drew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respectedDrew_Smoke is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Strength and Conditioning Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I think she is busy at the Super Bowl rooting on her husband Kurt Warner.

Now that's not very nice. Funny but not nice.
Drew_Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009   #22
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steroids View Post
Couldn't agree more, but I do think that you can apply conjugate periodization to the OL's, while mixing in some of the powerlifts to increase brute force.

I'd quit my job tomorrow if we got the right guy in place, and I could intern underneath him.
I've got no problem with using some of the ideas Westside uses. I mean, ultimately Louie nabbed most of those ideas from Siff and Zatsiorsky and those guys. Most OLer's use some of the same concepts. The Russians back in the day had a whole system of conjugation built up based on identifying your weakness in your OL lifts. Prilephin's Table, which is used by PLers and BBers, actually came from a larger group of tables that included that in one of the cycles.

And that returns back to using periodization methods that Riley was against.

That just boggles my mind.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009   #23
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

OOOoooouuuuuucccccchhhhh.
Old 01-28-2009   #24
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
is actually ?

I could see that....
Old 01-28-2009   #25
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1964 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I've got no problem with using some of the ideas Westside uses. I mean, ultimately Louie nabbed most of those ideas from Siff and Zatsiorsky and those guys. Most OLer's use some of the same concepts. The Russians back in the day had a whole system of conjugation built up based on identifying your weakness in your OL lifts. Prilephin's Table, which is used by PLers and BBers, actually came from a larger group of tables that included that in one of the cycles.

And that returns back to using periodization methods that Riley was against.

That just boggles my mind.

I am so lost. When did the Russians get an offensive line?
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009   #26
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1964 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
OL = olympic lifting, aka the technique/rfd based explosive lifts (clean, clean&jerk, snatch, etc)

PL = power lifts (squat, bench, deadlift)
Thanks, I had already look up PRILEPIN'S TABLE and few of the terms you used. It makes sense to me, I do not understand the position that Riley has.

And I am happy we are going in a different direction, heck for how many year did we lead the league with players on the DL? It appears to all be related.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009   #27
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have Science and Practice of Strength Training by Zatsiorsky and Supertraining by Siff on my desk right now...

For those reading who are curious whats being talked about, this is the table:

PRILEPIN'S TABLE

Percent..............Reps per Set.......Optimal.......Total Range

70 and below ............3-6 ................24 .................18-30
70-80 .......................3-6 ................18 .................12-24
80-89 .......................2-4 ................15 .................10-20
90+ ..........................1-2 .................7 ..................4-10

Back to my point though, I'd like to see someone on this level (or better!) in place. I'm tired of athletes being drafted, and getting slower, weaker, more injury prone than when they were drafted. Week in, week out, our team just looks smaller weaker and slower than our competition. At least thats how I've felt for a while. I could be wrong.
That is the exact program we used when I played in highschool.
Old 01-29-2009   #28
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Being a SC in the NFL should be the easiest job there is, except for dealing with pre-madonna attitudes that some athletes have. These guys are such gifted athletes that almost anything works with them. There is a saying in the strength and conditioning community that the quickest way to become an elite coach is to work with elite athletes.

Hopefully they find someone good, and hopefully they get rid of all those goofy machines.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009   #29
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Bull View Post
You lost me with the technical terms, but no matter. Are you familiar with either college or pro personnel that would/could be in line either with your thinking or possibly the Texan's thinking? It appears to me technology associated with body strengthening/speed in the last 10-15 years is not dissimilar to technological advances in computing. Otherwise, you wouldn't have all these potential draft picks going to various trainers to increase their measurables before the draft. A bit different than the guy who trained Earl Campbell, et.al. on his "hill" and also sold BBQ. Times change.

I fail to see where there is a problem with the result this guy, and his hill, accomplished. Lets send all our rb's up this hill then maybe we can run it in from the one yard line.

Either that or find the fountain of youth and give Earl a big swig along with a shiny new contract..

Old 01-29-2009   #30
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
is actually ?

I could see that....
Eh, this is not so mean. Brenda Warner doesn't look that way any more. It's amazing what being financially sound can do for your appearance:

Really, the Warners are the best story in the NFL. By far. Their true story is more amazing than anything that would be believable in a movie.
Old 01-29-2009   #31
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Really, the Warners are the best story in the NFL. By far. Their true story is more amazing than anything that would be believable in a movie.
Kurt went from sacking groceries, to
being sacked repeatedly in the SuperBowl.
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009   #32
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I have Science and Practice of Strength Training by Zatsiorsky and Supertraining by Siff on my desk right now...

They're both sitting in my bookcase across the room.
Old 01-31-2009   #33
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2678 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

did i mention that nerds can have muscles too. what ever happened to the sand kicking thing?
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009   #34
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Eh, this is not so mean. Brenda Warner doesn't look that way any more. It's amazing what being financially sound can do for your appearance:

I saw some of the more recent pictures when I was looking for an older Powter-esque one. I was impressed but I went with an old one for comedic value.

Truth be told, I'm pulling for Arizona tomorrow mainly because of Kurt Warner.
Old 01-31-2009   #35
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
I vote for Danny Arnold

Fire Bobby Greir

Danny Arnold would be a fantastic hire!! He has about 75 to 100 top College and NFL players that he trains every year before the football season start.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009   #36
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Check out those forearms maybe we will hire her S&C coach.

I'm rooting for the Cardinals because of Warner
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009   #37
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:

I have to admit, I saw a clip of her recently and I didn't recognize her. She looks tons better than she did during their St. Louis years.
Old 01-31-2009   #38
InterestedJeff
Rookie

Rep Power: 7 InterestedJeff is on the Pro-Bowl ballotInterestedJeff is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

How about these guys??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 89lhansfranz.jpg (3.9 KB, 6 views)
InterestedJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009   #39
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.click2houston.com/sports/.../detail.html#-

Quote:
Texans Close To Announcing New Strength And Conditioning Coach

POSTED: Friday, February 6, 2009
UPDATED: 11:26 am CST February 6, 2009
Houston -- NFL sources tell KPRC Local 2 Sports that the Houston Texans will name Ray Wright as the teams new Strength and Conditioning Coach.

Wright has been with the team for 7 seasons and 8 overall in the NFL. Wright served under Dan Riley, regarded by many in NFL circles as one of the most respected in the business, who did not have his contract renewed after the season along with trainer Kevin Bastin.

The Texans have not yet made the announcement. League Sources tell KPRC once an assistant is hired , the new position for Wright will be announced.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009   #40
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly not really thrilled they decided to stay in staff considering that they didn't renew Riley's contract and he was part of his staff. I hope his approach is different then Riley's considering what I have seen posted here.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read