Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Matt
He is young, has room to grow and probably will 21 17.65%
He has reached his peak...what you see is what you get (but I'm cool with it) 3 2.52%
He has to stay on the field to not be labled injury prone... 32 26.89%
Matt Schaub is what he is (And I'm not cool with it) 4 3.36%
He cuts down on the turnovers and he's an elite QB in the leauge 59 49.58%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-28-2009   #1
Polo

Question The phrase that most accurately describes Matt Schaub

going into next year is...

This is a big year for Matt...If he gets injured again I think he will get labled as being injury prone..

If he has a good year and cuts down on his turnovers I think he can vault himself into the top tier of QB's...

This year is pretty big for Matt...His and Kubiaks careers could take drastic turns in either direction...

Last edited by Polo; 01-28-2009 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-28-2009   #2
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The phrase that most accurately describes Matt Schaub

Our starting QB.
Old 01-28-2009   #3
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally, I think it's a combination of the above.

1st off- Matt has to be able to stay on the field. Take Tom Brady for example, he's not such an elite QB if he can't get back on the field and stay healthy consistently. Matt's got to be out there.

2nd- Assuming he stays healthy, I think he can develop into an extremely good NFL starting QB. I actually think he's very close to being that QB. To me, it seems each season Kubiak is stressing a couple of REALLY important themes during the offseason. Last year it seemed like it was turnovers and penalties. Turnovers were under control, except for QB play. I think Matt has continued to work on this and will this offseason, and we'll see a dramatic improvement. Our defense will be getting better, our offense has really hit stride, and I think we can be an elite team in the next couple years.

I really think Schaubo has what it takes to be a pro bowl QB, but more importantly get us those W's. We saw him last year make those drives late in the game that are needed from true QBs. We havn't just seen his sky high stats when he's "on", we've actually witnessed him develop into a leader of this offense, we've seen the passion and his fight during the game, and we've seen him lead the team to score or put ourselves in a position to score at the end of the game. That's what you need in a franchise QB.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009   #4
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know if this means anything but this thread makes me miss our football team. Offseason sux.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009   #5
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Turnovers and injuries define Schaubs career as well as late game drives. He shows a lot of leadership on the field and has a ton of talent. Let's see him put it all together for 16 games a couple of years in a row. By cutting down on the turnovers, Schaub could definitely help the D. By staying healthy and keeping Rosencopter on the bench, he could help the whole team. I just can't seem to let that go.
Old 01-28-2009   #6
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I really think Schaubo has what it takes to be a pro bowl QB, but more importantly get us those W's. We saw him last year make those drives late in the game that are needed from true QBs. We havn't just seen his sky high stats when he's "on", we've actually witnessed him develop into a leader of this offense, we've seen the passion and his fight during the game, and we've seen him lead the team to score or put ourselves in a position to score at the end of the game. That's what you need in a franchise QB.
I like Matt as a QB...I think we can win big with him...

At the same time though I worry sometimes about his playmaking ability...I'd like to see him make better decisions when things break down around him...He does extrememly well when "it looks likes its supposed too"....When things break down he tends to be mistake prone though...So I guess my biggest thing with Matt would probably be turnovers...

If he commits just half of the turnovers he had then I don't think his health issues are as magnified...But considering how he got injured it could have been a lot worse...
Old 01-28-2009   #7
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Has to stay on the field.

He showed signs at the end of the year, signs that he could get rid of the ball before getting creamed. And even when he DID get hit hard, he popped back up.

I wonder if Rosencopter incident is what got him over the top. I think it did. Some think it silly to attribute it to a singular incident, but I think he finally felt like it was HIS team when the debacle happened.

When someone screws up THAT badly, there's a lot of pressure taken off your shoulders. A lot of psychology, IMO.

Hopefully he doesn't relapse at the start of the season and get nailed over and over, especially from the blindside and/or when he's scrambling out of the pocket and holding the ball to the last second trying to find somebody.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-28-2009   #8
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Has to stay on the field.

He showed signs at the end of the year, signs that he could get rid of the ball before getting creamed. And even when he DID get hit hard, he popped back up.

I wonder if Rosencopter incident is what got him over the top. I think it did. Some think it silly to attribute it to a singular incident, but I think he finally felt like it was HIS team when the debacle happened.

When someone screws up THAT badly, there's a lot of pressure taken off your shoulders. A lot of psychology, IMO.

Hopefully he doesn't relapse at the start of the season and get nailed over and over, especially from the blindside and/or when he's scrambling out of the pocket and holding the ball to the last second trying to find somebody.
I hope Matt didn't feel too relieved...This is the NFL and they can both lout of a job if they don't perform...
Old 01-28-2009   #9
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 89889 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

"Quarterback Matt Schaub Here!!!"

I think he will round into what many hoped he would be next season. This all depends on the number of cheap shots he can avoid though.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009   #10
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start On # 69 View Post
"Quarterback Matt Schaub Here!!!"

I think he will round into what many hoped he would be next season. This all depends on the number of cheap shots he can avoid though.
That commercial always startles me when I hear it on the radio. For some reason I think the audio output is louder than the other programs so it comes out really loud on my radio... haha makes me laugh everytime.

I was thinking about the shots Schaub has taken while he's been in Houston. They've all been very very hard hits. He gets rid of the ball well, but it leaves him exposed. These hits are towards the head or when they are body shots, its pounding him into the ground. Not just knock down shots but wrap up hard its hitting him into the earth.

With that said something just clicked a couple minutes ago. Schaub was thought to be a late 1st or early 2nd round pick coming out of Virginia, except for one big reason. He was injured, so he dropped to the 3rd round, if I remember correctly. I hate the injuries as much as anyone but always kind of chalked it up to the hard hits and unsportsmanlike hits he's been getting. But coming out of college he was injured too.

Let's hope the injuries and turnovers aren't a problem anymore, for our sake and his.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009   #11
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's the phrase I want to here

Matt Schaub QB of the SUPER BOWL champion HOUSTON TEXANS

It could be a reality in the next 2-3 years if he can stay healthy.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009   #12
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

a QB starts to come into his own after about 3 years worth of starts....I see a bright future if he can stay on the field.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009   #13
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

How about a combination of answers:

If he cuts down on the turnovers AND stays on the field he can become an elite NFL QB. That's how I feel about him. We need him to stay healthy and keep progressing.
Old 01-28-2009   #14
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
a QB starts to come into his own after about 3 years worth of starts....I see a bright future if he can stay on the field.
I know this says alot coming from Vinny. Since 02 I haven't heard him say anything like the statement above with any other QB we've ever trotted on to the field. That's a good sign.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I know this says alot coming from Vinny. Since 02 I haven't heard him say anything like the statement above with any other QB we've ever trotted on to the field. That's a good sign.
turnovers come with inexperienced QB's and yeah, we haven't had any decent quarterbacking here since day 1 so I'm pretty optimistic about next season since Schaub will have enough starts under his belt to pretty much understand the speed of the game, the experience to know when to throw the ball away instead of making an ill advised pass through a keyhole, and the repercussions of holding the ball too long.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009   #16
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
That commercial always startles me when I hear it on the radio. For some reason I think the audio output is louder than the other programs so it comes out really loud on my radio... haha makes me laugh everytime.

I was thinking about the shots Schaub has taken while he's been in Houston. They've all been very very hard hits. He gets rid of the ball well, but it leaves him exposed. These hits are towards the head or when they are body shots, its pounding him into the ground. Not just knock down shots but wrap up hard its hitting him into the earth.

With that said something just clicked a couple minutes ago. Schaub was thought to be a late 1st or early 2nd round pick coming out of Virginia, except for one big reason. He was injured, so he dropped to the 3rd round, if I remember correctly. I hate the injuries as much as anyone but always kind of chalked it up to the hard hits and unsportsmanlike hits he's been getting. But coming out of college he was injured too.

Let's hope the injuries and turnovers aren't a problem anymore, for our sake and his.
Schaub had only one injury in his 2.5 years as a starter at Virginia: a separated throwing shoulder the first game of his senior year. He missed two games and struggled somewhat upon his return. The perception was that he did not have as good a year as a senior as he did as a junior.

For a guy like Schaub whose measurables--other than his height and accuracy--are not going to wow anyone, it's all about how he performs in live action. He didn't play as well as a senior, and that hurt him. But he was still the fifth QB taken that year, and three out of the four taken ahead of him--Eli, Rivers and Roethlisberger--have had enormous success so far, justifying their draft positions. The fourth--J.P. Losman--was a dud.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009   #17
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 139897 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post

If he cuts down on the turnovers AND stays on the field he can become an elite NFL QB. That's how I feel about him. We need him to stay healthy and keep progressing.
Pretty much how I felt about it. I don't question his manhood, etc., but we gotta keep him on the field to really evaluate where he is as a QB. We've got to shore up the O-Line to make that possible. The Texans haven't fielded a "good" center for pass-protection in their history.

..that's why, (despite arguments to the contrary in the plus-one thread) I think a really good center could elevate the whole team. Let the Texans mix the run/pass better & keep the Defense rested.
Old 01-28-2009   #18
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post

Personally I don't thin his injuries are that big of a deal if he protects the ball better when he does start...

If Matt commits half of the turnovers he had then people are salivating for him to come back to the line-up instead of hanging question marks over his head when he does return...

I think Matt and Kubiak are intertwined in more ways than one and probably the biggest way that they are connected is that this season coming up could define (atleast in the short term) how people view their careers...

If Matt has a good season...He will have almost cemented himself as a top QB
If he gets injured or has a bad season, he could be written of just as quickly...

The same things goes for Kubes...8-8 and he may be viewed as a coach that can't get over the hump...If he wins big, he could be thought of a really, really good coach...
Old 01-28-2009   #19
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3019 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I don't know if this means anything but this thread makes me miss our football team. Offseason sux.
Palabra.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009   #20
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

With better OL protection and getting someone other than Slaton that can run the ball . I am hoping he will take less hits and with that, stay on the field more
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read