Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-26-2009   #1
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Thoughts on coach Kollar from a Buffalo fan

I recently asked one of my buddies from another forum who is a long time Buffalo fan about our new DL coach and this is what he had to say:

Me: Can you give me any insight on the Texans new DL coach Bill Kollar? He was with the Bills the last 3 seasons I think. He says he wants the DL to shoot the gaps and get after the QB, much better than the read and react crap the Texans had been trotting out while Richard Smith was DC.

I'm wondering if they're going to be sacrificing run defense for some extra sacks or not.

Buffalo Fan: I can't give you an honest answer as I think the Bills' D-line woes are 99% personnel based. Kollar certainly had some players over-achieving (Kyle Williams, Ryan Denney, even Aaron Schobel). Schobel is probably a great example of Kollar's upside. Not the greatest physical tools but he can get after the passer and is decent against the run. Stroud also had a better year than many expected.

That being said, the Bills d-line was a huge weakness this year. There was ZERO pass rush after Schobel went out. I'd say Chris Kelsay is the perfect example of Kollar's downside. Kelsay, the only white, slow, 250lb DE that STARTS in the NFL despite NEVER getting to the passer (2 sacks this year iirc). He's also terrible against the run. Most teams would cut this guy or have him as a high energy backup. Not the Bills. He starts at LE where his size disadvantage his magnified, he's a captain and he's got a huge contract that has prevented the Bills from drafting a DE in the 1st round or bringing in another FA DE. His position coach has to have something to do with this. What I'm saying is, Kollar may put a little too much into "Works hard, good team guy, great motor" and does so to the detriment of the team.

John McCargo was a 1st round pick (that the Bills traded up for) and, under Kollar's watch, he hasn't developed into a starter, let alone a stud. "Effort" is often the only reason given. DE Chris Ellis was the Bills' 3rd round pick this year and he looked terrible in all 11 snaps he played this year. Overall, I'd be concerned a little with his player evaluation skills.

Hopefully, with talent like Super Mario and Omobi-wan to work with, Kollar's talents shine through for you. It's hard to build frightening defensive machine when you're working with LEGO (ie. 250lb white lineman)
Old 01-26-2009   #2
Polo

Default Re: Thoughts on coach Kollar from a Buffalo fan

Is your friend racist ?
Old 01-26-2009   #3
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Is your friend racist ?
Or... just truthful?
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009   #4
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is your friend racist ?
I'd go with truthful. WE did have a backup white DE man on man against Darren McFadden this year.... yet another reason our DC is gone!!!
Old 01-26-2009   #5
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is your friend racist ?
More stereotypical than anything.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009   #6
Polo

You guys are probably right....

Anyways...His analysis is interesting....

A little worried that he couldn't get more from the 1st and 3rd rounder though...
Old 01-26-2009   #7
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1283 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

A little worried that he couldn't get more from the 1st and 3rd rounder though...
Well, the first rounder might have been a tad overrated because of the guy he played next to at N.C. State. You've probably heard of that dude.

As for the third rounder (Ellis), he was a rookie last year and battled injuries. Still remains to be seen whether he works out, but, as we all know, judging a DE on his first season can be a dicey proposition.

Like every other coach, Kollar has some successes (Schobel) and failures (McCargo) on his record. But I think it is fair to say that, in Buffalo, he had nowhere near the raw material to work with that he has now.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-26-2009   #8
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

It's a real failure of the highest magnitude for an NFL franchise if they can't get a player they used a first round pick for, especially thought enough of to trade up for in the Draft and then have the player not produce at a high enough level to secure a starting position on the team.
Lets hope that the Buffalo personnel guys just overrated this guys upside for the NFL instead of it being the fault of the coach to communicate and develope this kid enough to be productive.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009   #9
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I do know Ellis was a good player in college.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009   #10
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
I'd go with truthful. WE did have a backup white DE man on man against Darren McFadden this year.... yet another reason our DC is gone!!!
So, my friend and I saw that play and had to rewind it to see if we were really dumb enough to do that. Crazy.
Old 01-27-2009   #11
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

We also did it against Cleveland and Weaver got an interception out of it.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009   #12
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
We also did it against Cleveland and Weaver got an interception out of it.
And Weaver has been burned numerous times in coverage...
Old 01-27-2009   #13
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And Weaver has been burned numerous times in coverage...
I don't like the play myself but if Weaver can get an interception no telling what Bullman can do. I'm just glad that Richard Smith isn't the DC.
Old 01-27-2009   #14
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I don't like the play myself but if Weaver can get an interception no telling what Bullman can do. I'm just glad that Richard Smith isn't the DC.

Bulman? If anything he'd be worse in coverage than Weaver. LOL, are we seriously going to talk about the pros and cons of PUTTING OUR DL IN COVERAGE?!?!?!
Old 01-27-2009   #15
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

This applies to Travis Johnson, too.

Lots of 1st rounders parade themselves as sure-thing NFL'ers.

I think Kollar has more to work with in Houston than he did in Buffalo. Plus, the morale is probably higher here than in Buffalo.

Taste the Kool Aid. It's great.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009   #16
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 231518 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Bulman? If anything he'd be worse in coverage than Weaver. LOL, are we seriously going to talk about the pros and cons of PUTTING OUR DL IN COVERAGE?!?!?!
I believe that Smith had most of our linemen dropping into coverage at one time or another. That includes Bulman, Cocharn, Mario, Amobi, Deljuan, etc.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009   #17
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Quote:
No pros and cons to talk about. I've always hated putting a DLineman in coverage, even when Buddy Ryans 4-6 called for it in Houston.

I just made a simple observation.
Old 01-27-2009   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 218004 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
No pros and cons to talk about. I've always hated putting a DLineman in coverage, even when Buddy Ryans 4-6 called for it in Houston.

I just made a simple observation.
I think it's a thing of Beauty, when JPep is snort'n and fuming at the LOS, got the QB all bothered.

The QB feels Pep coming to land one right between the numbers, so he hurries, throws the ball.......

and #90 standing 5-10 yards from the LOS gets a pick, then runs it in for a TD.
Old 01-27-2009   #19
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I think it's a thing of Beauty, when JPep is snort'n and fuming at the LOS, got the QB all bothered.

The QB feels Pep coming to land one right between the numbers, so he hurries, throws the ball.......

and #90 standing 5-10 yards from the LOS gets a pick, then runs it in for a TD.
And how many times has that happened in the last 7 seasons of football?

Unless you're talking about the whole TD part too, then we're at a different number.

Old 01-31-2009   #20
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

I think with Kollar's premium on "Works hard, good team guy, great motor" we will be targeting Paul Kruger in the 2nd or in the late 1st after a trade down. A more talented Tim Bulman, Kollar would love this guy

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read