Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-26-2009   #1
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88648 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Troy Polamolu

Most dynamic defensive player in NFL football.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80e25bf3
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009   #2
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Troy Polamolu

I agree 100%.He's one of the best defensive players the game has ever produced and certainly the best saftey in the game today.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009   #3
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
I agree 100%.He's one of the best defensive players the game has ever produced and certainly the best saftey in the game today.
I would say Ed Reed is a little better once he gets the ball in his hands. They are the best two in the NFl, with Palumalu being the more complete package. These guys are 1a and 1b. Like Manning and Brady.
Old 01-26-2009   #4
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Ed Reed is better. Ed Reed Scores TD's. But both are hall of famers, no doubt.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009   #5
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88648 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry guys, but TP is better than Reed. He is all over the field and a much bigger threat on any given play than what Reed is. Reed is the better center fielder, but TP is the better play maker and football player. TP will blitz the QB and give him nightmares, he'll stop the rush all day, he play up in close coverage to stop the screen pass plays, and he'll ball hawk if you ask him to. He is the most dynamic defensive player in football. And the Steelers wouldn't have been in that last SB they won had he not made some huge impactful INT's and big plays. He did it again this year against the Ravens when he picked off Flacco on that last drive and ran in back in for a TD.

Reed gets more picks because he constantly lines up 25 yards off the ball and ball hawks more for his team. I guarantee you that if Polamolu did that on every play the way Reed does TP's INT numbers would be a lot higher and he'd have more TD's. Plus, TP gets more pass deflections than Reed does. People get enamoured with Reed because of INT's and a few TD runs backs, but TP does so many things that can't be measured with stats and if I were a QB facing both teams I would be a lot more afraid of what TP will do on play after play, because I wouldn't ever know where he is or what he is going to do on each play and that would give me more nightmares than a guy who is usually in the secondary ball hawking. It's just to hard to know what TP will be doing on any given play.
Old 01-26-2009   #6
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Ed Reed has played only one more year than Polamalu and has 43 interceptions compared to only 17 int's by Polamalu. Not even close. And he has 7 returned for TD's to only one by Troy. Yes, Polamalu delivers the bigger hits, but I'd take an INT over a big hit anyday of the week.
Old 01-26-2009   #7
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

I have to agree with Texecutioner on this one. I'll give Reed his due, but Polamalu is the superior Saftey.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-26-2009   #8
stingray
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Sorry guys, but TP is better than Reed. He is all over the field and a much bigger threat on any given play than what Reed is. Reed is the better center fielder, but TP is the better play maker and football player. TP will blitz the QB and give him nightmares, he'll stop the rush all day, he play up in close coverage to stop the screen pass plays, and he'll ball hawk if you ask him to. He is the most dynamic defensive player in football. And the Steelers wouldn't have been in that last SB they won had he not made some huge impactful INT's and big plays. He did it again this year against the Ravens when he picked off Flacco on that last drive and ran in back in for a TD.

Reed gets more picks because he constantly lines up 25 yards off the ball and ball hawks more for his team. I guarantee you that if Polamolu did that on every play the way Reed does TP's INT numbers would be a lot higher and he'd have more TD's. Plus, TP gets more pass deflections than Reed does. People get enamoured with Reed because of INT's and a few TD runs backs, but TP does so many things that can't be measured with stats and if I were a QB facing both teams I would be a lot more afraid of what TP will do on play after play, because I wouldn't ever know where he is or what he is going to do on each play and that would give me more nightmares than a guy who is usually in the secondary ball hawking. It's just to hard to know what TP will be doing on any given play.
Polamalu has the defensive player of the year playing with him. I think that helps him out alot. While Reed still has Ray Lewis, he is not even close to the player he was five years ago.
Old 01-26-2009   #9
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
Ed Reed has played only one more year than Polamalu and has 43 interceptions compared to only 17 int's by Polamalu. Not even close. And he has 7 returned for TD's to only one by Troy. Yes, Polamalu delivers the bigger hits, but I'd take an INT over a big hit anyday of the week.
I hate when people try making these arguments using INT"s to measure who is better. TP does not ball hawk on just about every play like Reed does. He does so much more, and if TP did do that his INT numbers would be so much higher. He plays so many roles for his team, rather than just to ball hawk. Plus, TP makes it a lot easier for all of those gritty LB's of the Steelers to get open on the blitz because O lineman also have to watch out for Polamolu and block him on certain plays because he blitzes so much more than Reed does.
Old 01-26-2009   #10
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Polamalu has the defensive player of the year playing with him. I think that helps him out alot. While Reed still has Ray Lewis, he is not even close to the player he was five years ago.
Terrell Suggs, Bart Scott and Ray Lewis are arguably the best LB duo in the game. And you are wrong to say that Ray Lewis isn't near what he was years ago. The hell he isn't. He isn't quite as good but he is still a great player. TP helps to open up LB's because O lineman have to block TP on a lot of plays when they see him blitzing.

Regardless, you can't say that because TP plays with Harrison that it makes Reed better, when Reed plays with the guys that he does.
Old 01-26-2009   #11
stingray
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I hate when people try making these arguments using INT"s to measure who is better. TP does not ball hawk on just about every play like Reed does. He does so much more, and if TP did do that his INT numbers would be so much higher. He plays so many roles for his team, rather than just to ball hawk. Plus, TP makes it a lot easier for all of those gritty LB's of the Steelers to get open on the blitz because O lineman also have to watch out for Polamolu and block him on certain plays because he blitzes so much more than Reed does.
Well, I hate when people argue that a player is better than another because of "intangibles" instead of stats. Stats aren't everything but it is a starting point of how to measure how good a player is.
Old 01-26-2009   #12
stingray
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Terrell Suggs, Bart Scott and Ray Lewis are arguably the best LB duo in the game. And you are wrong to say that Ray Lewis isn't near what he was years ago. The hell he isn't. He isn't quite as good but he is still a great player. TP helps to open up LB's because O lineman have to block TP on a lot of plays when they see him blitzing.

Regardless, you can't say that because TP plays with Harrison that it makes Reed better, when Reed plays with the guys that he does.
If you think that ray Lewis is close to what he was five years ago than you haven't been watching him play because he is not. He is still a damn good player but he was playing as a good as any linebacker in history in his prime.
Old 01-26-2009   #13
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ed Reed is better. Ed Reed Scores TD's. But both are hall of famers, no doubt.
They're better at different things, but I agree. Reed may be the best defender witha a ball in his hands not named Deion.
Old 01-26-2009   #14
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Hate to nit pick, but how are three people the best LB Duo in the game...? Sorry.
Old 01-26-2009   #15
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

What I'd give to have Polamolu and Reed as our Safeties. That's just sick.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009   #16
stingray
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Sorry guys, but TP is better than Reed. He is all over the field and a much bigger threat on any given play than what Reed is. Reed is the better center fielder, but TP is the better play maker and football player.
Both are great. Both are future hall of famers. It's like arguing who was better, Emmit Smith or Barry Sanders.. You can state a case for both and not be wrong.

Last edited by stingray; 01-26-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-26-2009   #17
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Yeah I agree. Both are great. Both are future hall of famers. It's like arguing who was the better RB, Emmith Smith or Barry sanders. You can state a case for both and not be wrong.
Agree with you here. Even though I disagree with you, I feel that a good argument can be made for Reed as well. My argument goes for TP though. I love what Reed does, I just think that with him being able to ball hawk and having that as his main role makes it easier for him to pick off more balls and get more yards after the INT, as oppose to a guy that has a much different role and is so great at just about every role he has on any given play. There has never been a safety like TP before in my opinion. There have been a few like Reed.
Old 01-26-2009   #18
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Hate to nit pick, but how are three people the best LB Duo in the game...? Sorry.
Yeah, you're nitpicking. group of LB's then. Same point being made. The LB part isn't anything relevant though because both players play with great LB's.
Old 01-26-2009   #19
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
I would say Ed Reed is a little better once he gets the ball in his hands. They are the best two in the NFl, with Palumalu being the more complete package. These guys are 1a and 1b. Like Manning and Brady.
I agree. The Texans need a 1c.
Old 01-26-2009   #20
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
If you think that ray Lewis is close to what he was five years ago than you haven't been watching him play because he is not. He is still a damn good player but he was playing as a good as any linebacker in history in his prime.
He is close to what he was 5 years ago. I never said he was as good as he was, but he had a fantastic season all year. This isn't about which LB's are better though. It's about the safeties and both of them play with great LB's.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read