Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-25-2009   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 106570 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default In our plus-one game, the Texans select...

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcsouth/...select---.html

Quote:
Early this week I invited you to join me in playing a little fantasy football and asked this: If the Houston Texans could add any one player in the NFL, who would the best choice be?

The Texans' biggest needs are on defense -- I believe along the defensive line where Mario Williams doesn't have enough help and at safety where they need a playmaking and stabilizing force.

Before I make a pick on behalf of the team, let's look at what some of you had to say:

Mad Mike in Houston: Paul: If the Texans could add any one player it would have to be Troy Polamalu. Ed Reed is very good on the backend with picks and getting the most out of them, but Troy has a big effect in all aspects of the defense. Haynesworth is an obvious choice, but at a cost of 10m per year, I think with Amobi Okoye and another DT could be okay. Not diminishing Alberts value just based on my thoughts. Troy or someone like that would have the biggest impact for the Texans. Thanks.....MM

Robby in League City, TX: Albert Haynesworth would be hard to pass up, but Polamalu would do wonders for their shaky secondary that badly needs some help. If any change needs to be made on the defensive line, my vote is for a defensive end opposite Mario, possibly a Julius Peppers type that can stop the run as well as improve the pass rush.

Chris in Austin: One player for the Texans... in the entire NFL, very tough choice. I would want someone young who's in or approaching their prime, like Jared Allen (much as I hate him for killing our playoff hopes in 2008). Polamalu is a good choice, and I would also love to have Bart Scott as an OLB. He'd translate well to a 4-3 with his cover skills - and he'd bring something the Texans are sorely lacking IMO - a nasty attitude.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009   #2
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: In our plus-one game, the Texans select...

Polamalu is the best safety in the NFL. Ed Reed is good, but not as solid as Polamalu.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009   #3
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh man that's tough...I'd have to go with Polamalu or James Harrison. I'd lean Polamalu though
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009   #4
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 33666 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Polamalu is the best safety in the NFL. Ed Reed is good, but Polamalu is for the children.
I had to edit it into a classic Grammy moment.
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009   #5
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Polamalu is the best safety in the NFL. Ed Reed is good, but Polamalu is for the children.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg no re View Post
i had to edit it into a classic grammy moment.
rep!!!
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009   #6
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

This is a cool game and it's really hard to choose. Obvious needs are on defense. Here's a few of my options:

LT- Joe Thomas - One of the premiere LTs in the league and is only 24 years old. This would push Duane Brown inside to guard or to RT (winston to RT)... we'd have a dominate OL.

DE- Justin Tuck -Tough for me to choose any pass rusher over any other. My reasoning for Tuck is that he's a true 4-3 DE which we need. I'm very skeptical to pick a 3-4 OLB to transition to a 4-3 end. Tuck is only 25 years old and had 12 sacks last season and 10 in 2007.

LB - Patrick Willis - I'm a huge fan of Willis as most people on this board already know. I think he's the best 4-3 LB in the NFL and pairing him up with Demeco would be insane. Choose who you want inside and who you want outside.

S - Troy Polamalu - I think adding a SS like him would be crazy. I also think it would mask our FS position until we could find a more suitable player. Imagine moving Dunta (which i've been against) to FS and having Polamalu at SS. We could take a CB this draft like Vontae Davis and have an absolutely great secondary.

I think of all the players, I'd probably take Polamalu.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009   #7
Polo

I'm gonna go with Peyton or Tom. Probably Tom cuz he's younger.
Sponsored links
Old 01-27-2009   #8
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 120726 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Defense:

Albert Haynesworth

Troy Polamalu

Antonio Cromartie

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

Nick Collins

Cortland Finnegan

Nnamdi Asomugha

Offense

Adrian Petersen

Maurice Jones-Drew

Jeff Saturday

Andre Gurode
Old 01-27-2009   #9
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

No doubt about it people.... Reggie Bush
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009   #10
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182552 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
No doubt about it people.... Reggie Bush
He'll be happy to know the medical center is just up the street .
Old 01-27-2009   #11
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

Julius Peppers.
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009   #12
TexansMVP
Probowler

I like Nnamdi Asomugha assuming we can keep Dunta too and take a chance on a DE in the draft.
TexansMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009   #13
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 128424 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Hwsnbn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009   #14
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 74351 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Defense:
Cortland Finnegan

Offense

Jeff Saturday

Andre Gurode
What?

If it's only one player we can add, then I'd say we have to add somebody like Kevin Williams. Big, nasty, and most of all, all-pro. I think a player like him would transform the entire defense, from front to back, and elevate the play of everybody around him.

I think Williams just does everything that great D-linemen do, and I really can't recall a time (Outside of this starcaps stuff that's going through Minnesota courts) where he has been a detriment to his team in any way.

I think our entire offense is good enough where it is, they just need to work on the execution. The real albatross is the defense, and I'll take the big nasty guys on defense every day of the week.
Old 01-27-2009   #15
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 33391 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
What?

If it's only one player we can add, then I'd say we have to add somebody like Kevin Williams. Big, nasty, and most of all, all-pro. I think a player like him would transform the entire defense, from front to back, and elevate the play of everybody around him.

I think Williams just does everything that great D-linemen do, and I really can't recall a time (Outside of this starcaps stuff that's going through Minnesota courts) where he has been a detriment to his team in any way.

I think our entire offense is good enough where it is, they just need to work on the execution. The real albatross is the defense, and I'll take the big nasty guys on defense every day of the week.
I'll take a more threatening backfield, and Troy is that for me, love his big plays, and when he isn't taking it back for 6, theres a good knowledge of the game, and a real nice speed.

Although I feel he's the best I've seen, any other top level safety could be added really..
mattieuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009   #16
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18944 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

A lot of good choices here but I'm going to go with someone who generally flies under the radar but is one of the best DL in the game - Haloti Ngata.

6'4" 345lbs And a young 25 years old.

He might not be as glamorous as a Polamalu, but his size and athleticism in the middle of our line would be unmatchable
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009   #17
Farough
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 880 Farough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respectedFarough is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Farough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
A lot of good choices here but I'm going to go with someone who generally flies under the radar but is one of the best DL in the game - Haloti Ngata.

6'4" 345lbs And a young 25 years old.

He might not be as glamorous as a Polamalu, but his size and athleticism in the middle of our line would be unmatchable
Thats exactly who I was thinking about when I first saw this thread. Hes a huge man in the middle there and gets great pressure and great at stopping the run
Old 01-27-2009   #18
Spled
All Pro

Rep Power: 51 Spled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respected

How about Peyton Manning?
Spled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009   #19
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Plaxico Burress? I mean, it wouldn't even be fun to watch after like 4 games of 77-24 type of scores....
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009   #20
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 33666 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Plaxico Burress? I mean, it wouldn't even be fun to watch after like 4 games of 77-24 type of scores....
We wouldn't win like that all the time... I mean, we'd always find a way to shoot ourselves in the foot.
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read