Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-25-2009   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 133123 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Who has money to spend this offseason?

Quote:
The mock drafts and scouting reports have already started, so it's clear that "next year" is already on people's minds.

And even though the NFL draft tends to get all the attention, free agency can be just as important. If a team has a money to spend, it can turn around its fortunes in just one offseason (just ask Michael Turner and the Falcons).

Obviously, we don't know how teams are going to spend their money, but it's always nice to know who has some cash to spend. The good people over at Draftsharks.com compiled a list of approximately how much cap room each team has heading into the offseason.

1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: $42 million. The Bucs have several holes on offense, but they have a lot of money with which to fill them. Does this mean breakout WR Antonio Bryant will be back? It certainly can't hurt their chances of re-signing him.

2. Arizona Cardinals: $41 million. It's almost not fair that a Super Bowl team has this much cap room to play with. With all this money to spend, the Cardinals should be able to bring back Kurt Warner, but will they have enough to satisfy Anquan Boldin (pictured), too?

Quote:
10. Houston Texans: $25 million
http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/the...his_offseason?
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009   #2
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who has money to spend this offseason?

With this cap room I would like to see us sign C. McCalister, Page & M. Peterson.

This can be done &is not a pipe dream like Haynesworth, Aso, & Peppers
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009   #3
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

I saw the title of this thread and thought you were asking the fans. After paying so much money during the season who has any money during the offseason? I wonder how the bad economy is going to affect how many people renew their season tickets.

On topic though, I heard a report that many sports teams are going to be cutting back in offseason spending because of economic issues.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009   #4
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1365 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
With this cap room I would like to see us sign C. McCalister, Page & M. Peterson.

This can be done &is not a pipe dream like Haynesworth, Aso, & Peppers
First, solidify Dunta so he can retire as a Texan.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009   #5
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110804 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans34Life View Post
First, solidify Dunta so he can retire as a Texan.
After resigning our FA's we should have about 20 mil to spend on UFA's.

The extra money comes from cutting Greenwood, Demps,Green & any other FA's we dont want to bring back.

I almost forgot about our friend Anthony (the cap killer-bank robber) Weaver
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009   #6
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1284 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
I saw the title of this thread and thought you were asking the fans. After paying so much money during the season who has any money during the offseason? I wonder how the bad economy is going to affect how many people renew their season tickets.

On topic though, I heard a report that many sports teams are going to be cutting back in offseason spending because of economic issues.
Bingo.

The cap is only a ceiling; it is not a floor. Most teams, even when the economy is strong, do not spend all the way to the cap. This is the biggest source of tension between the league and the union. The NFL wants a cap to keep the Cowboys from becoming the Yankees, but the union, citing the reluctance of most teams to even spend up to their cap figure, wants it gone.

Labor issues aside, my guess is teams are really going to tighten their belts (like everyone else is doing). Look at what's happening in baseball: there are some really useful players languishing in free agency because the money has dried up. In years past, these guys would have gotten some really nice deals.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009   #7
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9...nd-of-cutbacks

I recall a couple of teams having cuts in the front office so I was wondering how it effects all operations. Also, how will it effect a teams ability to scout and find those small school players.
Sponsored links
Old 01-28-2009   #8
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9...nd-of-cutbacks

I recall a couple of teams having cuts in the front office so I was wondering how it effects all operations. Also, how will it effect a teams ability to scout and find those small school players.
I heard that too. I even heard that Dud is firing his hair dresser and is getting Vince to shampoo his grey rug for free. Once Vince finishes his semester at Beauty School that is.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009   #9
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overalls View Post
I heard that too. I even heard that Dud is firing his hair dresser and is getting Vince to shampoo his grey rug for free. Once Vince finishes his semester at Beauty School that is.
Hope its at least a semester in TX.....cause I can't imagine a good beauty school in Tennessee. Sides for that grey rug + being a cheap bastard = paying a dog groomer.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009   #10
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overalls View Post
I thought he just cut pieces of gray carpet to replace on his head.

Quote:
Re: Who has money to spend this offseason?
Congress, apparently.

Seriously though, I don't see why teams that historically sellout would cut costs. They'll have their ticket revenue and the TV deals are already in place. I know they will, I just don't understand why. I can see teams that have ticket sale issues (i.e. Jacksonville or Oakland) needing to cut corners.
Old 01-29-2009   #11
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 76955 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

After getting Dunta and OD re-signed I would like to see the Texans go after Derrick Ward, Jermaine Phillips or Oshiomogho Atogwe.

I think Nnamdi Asomugha is a pipe dream.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009   #12
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125690 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
After getting Dunta and OD re-signed I would like to see the Texans go after Derrick Ward, Jermaine Phillips or Oshiomogho Atogwe.

I think Nnamdi Asomugha is a pipe dream.
I'd love to get Ward to pair with Slaton but Ward is probably going to cost some mula. Don't see us spending enough to get him.

I'd rather see us spend the money on a CB or good LB like Bart Scott.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read