Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-25-2009   #21
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: While the woman sleeps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post
For some reason I just see Sean Smith going to the Pats. He has a ton of upside and can play something like 4 positions as well as being a freak of nature.
He may be be able to slide over to FS, but his physical measurements at CB are off the charts. He is a huge CB. His size is the main reason of the S talk. However, because of his size, I think he will shoot up draft boards as we near the draft.
Old 01-25-2009   #22
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm just curious as to why you guys can justify moving Demeco Ryans outside ?

What I know is Ray can't play outside in a 4-3. I mean he could play there...but he isn't going to be productive there. It's almost like you're saying we've watched one slew footed line backer for two years and our solution is to draft another one, younger, with better college stats, and stick the one we currently have playing middle line backer, outside to replace the one we're trying to upgrade ? I don't get it. Or are you guys saying out right you're just going to trade Ryan's befor the draft ? Explain it to me YTF.
Old 01-25-2009   #23
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post

What I know is Ray can't play outside in a 4-3. I mean he could play there...but he isn't going to be productive there. It's almost like you're saying we've watched one slew footed line backer for two years and our solution is to draft another one, younger, with better college stats, and stick the one we currently have playing middle line backer, outside to replace the one we're trying to upgrade ? I don't get it. Or are you guys saying out right you're just going to trade Ryan's befor the draft ? Explain it to me YTF.
It was his position in college.
He would take less of a beating if he moved outside.
It would free him up to be more of a playmaker.

I would ONLY consider moving DeMeco if we could get Maualuga. I wouldn't make the move for any other LB. I think that highly of Maualuga. I used to think it was a waste of time to even talk about this - but Kubiak has said he will always play his best three LBs regardless of where they play, and he's also said he's open to moving DeMeco outside.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009   #24
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerATO View Post
For some reason I just see Sean Smith going to the Pats. He has a ton of upside and can play something like 4 positions as well as being a freak of nature.
I LOVE Sean Smith. AND his teammate, DE Patrick Kruger. I think after the Combine, Smith will be a sure-thing first-rounder.

If Raji and Maualuga are off the board at 15, I'd like for us to trade down and take Kruger in the low 20s of the first round. It might be a little bit of a reach, but I think that dude can be coached up to match that draft position.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009   #25
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post

lol.

You know for a fact that a productive an super athletic LB from a school with a good history of NFL players can't play a position in the NFL? Have you watched Maualuga? He may be big (260 or so) but he can move. He could run a 4.5 4.6 type dash. It's not even that, it's his explosive ability when getting to the ball. If he's able to play sideline to sideline in the middle, why couldn't he play middle to sideline if he lined up on the outside? Maualuga is anything but slow footed. The only way Ryans isn't on this team is if someone like you were to take over pete. As another poster mentioned, the best 3 LBs will play. When Ryans was drafted, he was expected to play OLB and he just worked his way into the MLB role. The best 3 will play, at the position that they will help the team at the most.

As far as Ryans goes, he was an OLB coming out of college; he is our best blitzing LB; he has the speed to play on the outside; while he has hands of stone, he is above average in coverage; and is just that talented of a player.

I'm not saying Ryans has to move, but I think this gives our defense the ability to get two elite LBs on the field together. Maualuga can play on the outside. I think everyone is reading way too much into that part of it. Ryans will still make all the calls, regardless of where he lines up. If DeMeco is lined up at CB, he would still make the audible calls and the defensive play relays to the team.

My reaction to your post is simply that you haven't watched Maualuga, and I'm honestly leaning towards you not having watched Ryans if you are calling him "slew" footed.
Old 01-25-2009   #26
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
I LOVE Sean Smith...I think after the Combine, Smith will be a sure-thing first-rounder.
Agreed.
Old 01-25-2009   #27
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Considering the title of this thread I am surprised that Texan Bill has not paid a visit...

Old 01-25-2009   #28
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

He can not flip his hips and cover on the nfl level. No way no how. Ands I'll tell ya something else about him...he'll give up just as many big plays as he makes.

He can not play on the out side in this division and on this defense. I'll bet ya a Relaint stadium coke on the forty. He's not going to break 4.7.
Old 01-25-2009   #29
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Another big RB I like is Marlon Lucky from Nebraska. I think he may replace Jennings in my next update.
Old 01-26-2009   #30
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

YTF- I'm down with Maualuga/Ryans to the outside as the pick but I think for the rest of your mock you don't finish what you start. Maualuga would be a nod at having a better run stopping defense but no other picks go that way. No DT, no big hitting safety...

Chung or Delmas in the 2nd as S, or a DT does more than a tiny CB. Plus with Smithiak a 3rd or 4th has been spent at CB the last two years and mentions "never having enough guys who can cover" so I'd expect that trend to continue.

Demeco/Adibi coming off the edge or covering would be sick. Those two are too fast to get around especially if Ryans shed his wannabe-MLB bulk. Even if a big play or two came up the middle Rey-Rey's physical demeanor, aggression is something that is sorely lacking in this defense.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009   #31
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
but Kubiak has said he will always play his best three LBs regardless of where they play, and he's also said he's open to moving DeMeco outside.
Sure, just as you'd want to start/play your 5 best OLineman. Now that concept probably wouldn't apply for the the DBackfield or DLine, where there's just more specialization and therefor the positions aren't as interchangeable.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009   #32
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Another big RB I like is Marlon Lucky from Nebraska. I think he may replace Jennings in my next update.
What about Cedric Peerman (Looked like a hard nose runner) Jeremiah Johnson (Looked great catching passes - a must for Texans RB) or Andre Brown (Good size and can catch passes as well. Ran well during senior bowl.)???
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009   #33
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
YTF- I'm down with Maualuga/Ryans to the outside as the pick but I think for the rest of your mock you don't finish what you start. Maualuga would be a nod at having a better run stopping defense but no other picks go that way. No DT, no big hitting safety...

Chung or Delmas in the 2nd as S, or a DT does more than a tiny CB. Plus with Smithiak a 3rd or 4th has been spent at CB the last two years and mentions "never having enough guys who can cover" so I'd expect that trend to continue.

Demeco/Adibi coming off the edge or covering would be sick. Those two are too fast to get around especially if Ryans shed his wannabe-MLB bulk. Even if a big play or two came up the middle Rey-Rey's physical demeanor, aggression is something that is sorely lacking in this defense.
Agreed. Taking Rey would almost force your hand to move D-Ry to the outside where he will still be uber productive.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009   #34
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58359 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You need to read up on this guy YTF. He has some personal problems that will get brought up and will hurt his draft stock. Might not even get drafted.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009   #35
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 21318 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd love to see Maualuga be there at 15, and for the Texans to take him; and while I not sure Rey will be there 15 I'm even less convinved that the Texans would move Ryans to OLB.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009   #36
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
You need to read up on this guy YTF. He has some personal problems that will get brought up and will hurt his draft stock. Might not even get drafted.
Being in Kansas and dating a girl from Nebraska, I'm well immersed with Nebraska football. Unfortunately. Lucky lost his job this year, and he may not get drafted, but I think he has enough talent to be a late round pick still. I wasn't saying Lucky was a 4th rounder, as he does have issues beyond what you mentioned, but he has been productive enough, especially in short yardage situation.
Old 01-26-2009   #37
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Agreed. Taking Rey would almost force your hand to move D-Ry to the outside where he will still be uber productive.
Not necissarily. Why the presumption that Maualuga couldn't play SAM? Other than listening to pete's baseless claims that Maualuga isn't athletic enough?
Old 01-26-2009   #38
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
What about Cedric Peerman (Looked like a hard nose runner) Jeremiah Johnson (Looked great catching passes - a must for Texans RB) or Andre Brown (Good size and can catch passes as well. Ran well during senior bowl.)???
What about them? They are other options. I went with some options, but this just proves the point that a RB option is easy enough to find and should not by any means be considered a priority.
Old 01-26-2009   #39
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Chung is no different than what we have. I liken him to Glenn Earl (healthy). Nothing special but will be drafted in the second round. He is an in-box safety; the exact opposite of what everyone wants.

I used a higher pick on a CB because the amount of guys who can cover is very limited. There are plenty of "potential" guys like Molden who have the physical set. I went with a more proven cover man, where the value is earlier. Sean Smith or D.J. Moore may be an option as well. We don't need bodies, we have enough guys technically; we need guys who can overtake or upgrade. We have some developmental guys (Molden and Bennett) already.

We likely won't be going with a big, run stuffing DT. Our new coordinator's past schemes haven't used them. We don't have them. His past defenses have been successful enough without them, and we actually have the DT personnel (if developed to an extent) to play the style most on this board have indicated we will used. I would love to have a Terrance Cody (not in the draft) type body, but we don't need it. That's why I didn't include it. I went with a larger LB because of the new DC's tendency to utilize smaller DTs.

As mentioned above, we don't need a new "hard hitting safety". We have those guys. Meet C.C. Brown. That was Glenn Earl's role. That was what we hoped Boluware could do.

I hope this answers your stuff.
Old 01-26-2009   #40
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I like what Ive seen of his too. He'll be there in the 7th, so I'd take a shot. Can't be worse than Brinks...

Quote:

With the dline coach and philosiphy, dont look for us to invest in that big space eater. They want smaller penetrators, not fat block absorbers. Rey sounds good in the 1st, then look for us to get another big LBer to go on the other side to fill gaps left by the line. Also, if we do fill a need in Fa, be it a FS, Haynesworth, or Suggs/Peppers ect... and a guy like Curry drops to around 10, dont be shocked if we move up.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read