Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-23-2009   #1
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What new Coaches mean for Personnel.

So, with all the changes, here's how I think it will impact individual players and their performance... Here's the DL assessment:

Anthony Weaver- I don't think he'll make the team unless it's a cap issue that keeps him here. His strength is taking on blocks and securing the corner and his veteran intelligence. I don't think he has the ability to hit gaps, or beat a tackle around the corner. I think he's gone.

Tim Bulman - I think he's likely to be back at DT in a rotation, primarily on passing downs. As a DT, he has very good quickness and has good pass rush skills. I expect 20-30 snaps a game from him at DT next season and probably fairly effective. I don't expect him at DE unless it's to give the LDE a breather or due to significant injury.l

Mario Williams- I suspect we'll see him improve in his ability to read the play- draws, screens, etc... and he may have a few less snaps a game in order to keep him fresh. OVerall, I think he'll have his best season.

Amobi Okoye- He should improve dramatically. Kollar already mentioned that there is work to do on his technique. I think all the DTs will be in a steady rotation. I expect him to provide steady pressure up the middle, shooting the gap. I'm very anxious to see if he has the athleticism to get to the QB regularly or if he's just limited enough to get some pressure. I also expect to see a number of tackles for a loss in the run game.

Earl Cochran- I'm very excited for him to return healthy. I think he will probably play all 4 spots on the Dl by the end of the year... My guess is he'd by at DE on running downs more often and at DT on passing downs. While he probably won't start, I expect him to play quite a bit and probably hang 5 or 6 sacks on his resume by the end of the season.

Travis Johnson- I think he may be the biggest surprise of all. I almost became a fan of his during the first 1/2 of the '07 season. What I like about him is his agressiveness and his willingness to pursue the ball to the sideline. Those are both crucial points of focus for Kollar. What I haven't like is his lack of productivity. However, with new coaching and philosophy, I think it will really pay off for him. My guess is he will play most run-centric plays and rotate off during passing downs. I think by midseason, he'll be a fan favorite.

Dejuan Robinson- I expect he and Travis to handle the majority of run downs at DT. I doubt we see him more than 30 plays a game but I'm excited about him as part of the rotation.

Zgoniga- Simply can't make the team. He doesn't have the ability to shoot gaps or even chase plays. He's gone unless Kubiak is more of a control freak than I think.

Stanley McGlover- Obviously, I have no idea other than to say that he's the only guy on the team right now that has the skills to be a speed rusher at weakside DE- other than Mario who will probably shift back and forth all season. Hopefully, he shows something.

Last edited by TEXANS84; 01-23-2009 at 05:03 PM.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #2
Polo

Default Re: What new Coaches mean for Personnel.

Don't expect for any of our D-linemen to react well to Screens or mis-directions...That's not gonna be our strenght or our goal...

I think our philospphy is basically going to be disruption and demolition...

In fact we'll probably be more susceptible to being beaten by screens and draws...But we should be better almost everywhere else...

Last edited by Polo; 01-23-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-23-2009   #3
Clamp
Rookie

Rep Power: 167 Clamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree about TJ, i think he will have his best season simply because he was a 3 technique in college, and while he has improved at the nose tackle spot, he has obviously been playing out of position. (not to imply that his lack of prouction or anything else stems solely from that alone, but it had alot to do with it in my opinion.)
Clamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #4
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm very high on our group of LBs. Here they are:

Demeco Ryans- I think there is at least the possibility of a move to the weak side for him. I doubt it though. Anyway, if the team is really going to committ to attack gaps in the front 4, it will be interesting to see how he handles single gap responsibility and probably more engagement by Guards and Centers. That being said, I think he'll have a good season, probably have a couple more sacks and collect more turnovers. If Bush really gets this team on the same page, he may really blossom as an on-field coach and leader of the defense.

Adibi- Probably the biggest X factor. He has the best athleticism we've ever had at LB and he was a big playmaker in college and showed something this season. I think, barring injury, we're looking at a guy that will start at WLB, get 4-5 sacks, and also make a few interceptions. He may be our biggest playmaker on the field other than Mario.

Zac Diles- If he's healthy, I expect him to start at SLB. If he's healthy, I think he starts somewhere, even if it's not on the strong side. I loved what I saw from him in coverage after the 3rd game last year. He flashed the ability to man up on some pretty good TEs. I think he'll be very solid and a strength of the defense that probably goes largely unnoticed.

Kevin Bentley- Excellent backup at all three positions. He's a guy I could see take over at MLB if Demeco gets moved. He can certainly run the defense but I don't like him as much as a starter. He should be first off the bench but his best position is MLB.

Morlon Greenwood- GOODBYE!

Chaun Thompson- He's built like and has similar skills to Karlos Dansby, who Bush coached into a borderline probowl LB. If he's healthy, he's great in the nickel. He can blitz, rush off the edge as a DE, or drop into coverage. I think Bush, a former LB, will recognize that and use him situationally. He'll make some big plays for us!

Coley- He's the reason why we don't go get anybody in FA or early in the draft. Very solid depth. I think he'll be our 6th LB and be active on game day- probably very good on special teams.
Old 01-23-2009   #5
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Okay, DBs:

Dunta Robinson- I'm thrilled to see him next year. I think he'll play more with a safety over him which will allow a couple things: he'll be more agressive breaking on balls and picking a few off, and, I think we'll see more CB blitzes from him. In the nickel, I definitely expect to see him play over the slot. This should be his best season since '04.

A. Molden- He's clearly a football player and an excellent athlete. I think he'll end up playing quite a bit- either beating Reeves or Bennett out of a job or replacing an injury. It's more likely he'll start if we have experience starting at safety. I expect a good season from him though I'm sure he'll make a couple bonehead plays.

Jaques Reeves- I think he's excellent depth and expect him to play but lose his starting job to Bennett or Molden or someone else. I don't think he's physical enough or enough of a playmaker for the staff to get too excited about. Also, if they play more cover2, I think that will highlight his mediocre ball skills and minimize the value of his recovery speed.

Fred Bennett- I think he'd be great in cover2 with his ball skills and heighth. I really don't know how this staff will assess him. THis is something I'm very interested in watching during preseason.

Faggins- I've always been a supporter of his, but barring numerous preseason injuries... He's gone!

At safety, I expect Eugene Wilson to be re-signed. Other than that, I have no clue what to expect back there... Except for an improvement.
Old 01-23-2009   #6
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Don't expect for any of our D-linemen to react well to Screens or mis-directions...That's not gonna be our strenght or our goal...

In fact we'll probably be more susceptible to being beaten by screens and draws...But we should be better almost everywhere else...
I get why you say that. However, I disagree. The problem with our read and react defense the past 2 years, is it didn't read or react well at all. I think they were just simply coached poorly. I don't mean to suggest that Mario will fall back when he senses a screen. Instead, I just expect him to recognize it quicker as he's moving upfield- increasing the likelihood of disrupting the play by batting the ball down, etc....
Old 01-23-2009   #7
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Nice post Dale.

The only thing i see different is that DelJuan actually making more of an impact on the pass rush more then the run.

Either way i feel we have a solid rotation of DTs to keep em fresh.
Old 01-24-2009   #8
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Zgoniga- Simply can't make the team. He doesn't have the ability to shoot gaps or even chase plays. He's gone unless Kubiak is more of a control freak than I think.
You do know who his DL coach was at Purdue? How about his roommate at Purdue? He will be in camp unless he retires.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009   #9
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 94543 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice post. Has anyone looked up FA's our new coaches have coached that are available or anything like that. I haven't had time with my work schedule.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009   #10
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 57823 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=dalemurphy;1105194]So, with all the changes, here's how I think it will impact individual players and their performance... Here's the DL assessment:

Travis Johnson- I think he may be the biggest surprise of all. I almost became a fan of his during the first 1/2 of the '07 season. What I like about him is his agressiveness and his willingness to pursue the ball to the sideline. Those are both crucial points of focus for Kollar. What I haven't like is his lack of productivity. However, with new coaching and philosophy, I think it will really pay off for him. My guess is he will play most run-centric plays and rotate off during passing downs. I think by midseason, he'll be a fan favorite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamp View Post
I agree about TJ, i think he will have his best season simply because he was a 3 technique in college, and while he has improved at the nose tackle spot, he has obviously been playing out of position. (not to imply that his lack of prouction or anything else stems solely from that alone, but it had alot to do with it in my opinion.)

Applications now available for tickets on the TJ bandwagon..

Old 01-24-2009   #11
pappy
Veteran

Rep Power: 3248 pappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=cuppacoffee;1105781]
Quote:
So, with all the changes, here's how I think it will impact individual players and their performance... Here's the DL assessment:

I take it that your driving and supplying the coffee ?
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009   #12
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 4561 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Okay, DBs:

Faggins- I've always been a supporter of his, but barring numerous preseason injuries... He's gone!
About four years and 10 games lost due to his big play ability....for the other team.
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009   #13
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=cuppacoffee;1105781]
Quote:

Hey now, I've been on that bandwagon since year 2. Everyone forgets how much he stepped up under Kubiak to make the team. He lost a lot of weight, became a lot more ferocious, and played a hell of a lot better than he did his rookie year.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009   #14
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Nice post. Has anyone looked up FA's our new coaches have coached that are available or anything like that. I haven't had time with my work schedule.
Free agents that Bush coached:
Bertrand Berry (also has a Denver connection, he's as good as signed)
Monty Beisel
Karlos Dansby

Free agents that Gibbs coached:
Jarrad Page (RFA, may only cost a 7th rounder)
Jon McGraw
Tyron Brackenridge (RFA, signed as UDFA so I'm not sure what he would cost)

Free agents that Kollar coached:
Copeland Bryan (RFA, signed as UDFA)
John McCargo (likely to be traded or cut, Mario Williams connection)

Denver free agents who may fit:
Tom Nalen
Michael Pittman
Kenard Lang
Nate Webster

Also, with McDaniels coming in, it's possible they cut a couple guys who could make good depth here along the OL.
Old 01-25-2009   #15
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post

Yep. Which makes it very important to get some run stuffing LB's.
Old 01-25-2009   #16
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK View Post
Monty Beisel
Karlos Dansby

Jon McGraw

Tom Nalen
Michael Pittman
Kenard Lang
Nate Webster

Also, with McDaniels coming in, it's possible they cut a couple guys who could make good depth here along the OL.

Im tired of Denve FA and Faggins better be gone!
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009   #17
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatexan View Post
Im tired of Denve FA and Faggins better be gone!
Yeah, Nick Ferguson and Chris Myers really hurt this team last year.
Old 01-26-2009   #18
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah, Nick Ferguson and Chris Myers really hurt this team last year.
Actually, Myers did in fact hurt the team quite a bit the first half of the season. He did get better towards the end of the season, but overall, he was horrible at run blocking.

All that said, he'll still likely be the starter next season, but I'll be expecting notable improvement.

Old 01-26-2009   #19
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK View Post
Monty Beisel
Karlos Dansby

Jon McGraw

Tom Nalen
Michael Pittman
Kenard Lang
Nate Webster

That's interesting! Wasn't McCargo the player that Buffalo traded up to draft in the 1st and most people were thinking, What The Hell Are They Doing? I think he was rated a 2nd or 3rd round prospect but the Bills traded up to the 1st to get him. And, if my memory serves me correctly, I think it was to a team the Texans were also trying to trade up with so they could land one of the top RB's, but Buffalo out bid us for the pick. And because we weren't able to move up we selected DeMeco with our 2nd pick. If this is correct (Maybe someone else can verify this and fill in the details.), and Buffalo now wants to cut McCargo, that would be just too funny. It would also bring up the question, did Kollar have any input into drafting McCargo?
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009   #20
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
That's interesting! Wasn't McCargo the player that Buffalo traded up to draft in the 1st and most people were thinking, What The Hell Are They Doing? I think he was rated a 2nd or 3rd round prospect but the Bills traded up to the 1st to get him. And, if my memory serves me correctly, I think it was to a team the Texans were also trying to trade up with so they could land one of the top RB's, but Buffalo out bid us for the pick. And because we weren't able to move up we selected DeMeco with our 2nd pick. If this is correct (Maybe someone else can verify this and fill in the details.), and Buffalo now wants to cut McCargo, that would be just too funny. It would also bring up the question, did Kollar have any input into drafting McCargo?
Yes you are correct on them moving up not 100% sure they effectively blocked a trade up or not but it seems logical. Kollar probably may or may not have who knows. Had the Bills just waited til the 3rd round it wouldnt have been that big of a deal that he busted. (BTW I didnt realize he was that bad of a player) Their FO is terrible. Thats all you should take out of that pick
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read