Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-23-2009   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 66612 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default John Harris talks Texans First Round Draft

I asked John Harris who he liked at the 15th pick. Here is his answer:

John Harris Talks First Round Texans Draft Pick

Pretty basic stuff, but it lays out the candidates as he sees them for fit with what the Texans do.
Old 01-23-2009   #2
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: John Harris talks Texans First Round Draft

Harris (like his sidekeick LZ on 1560s morning show), really knows the nuts & bolts of football/football talent, though my impression is he really likes the college component more than the NFL, which I guess makes him perfect for analizing players in the NFL Draft ? BTW, I'm not familiar with JHs guy Paul Kruger, but I'm gonna check him out.
I'd sure like to know JHs take on our first round pick Duane Brown now that he's concluded his rookie season ? I was listening to 1560s Sean & John Draft show last April when the Texans pick came down and Harris went ballistic. He hated the pick and said he'd watch Brown all week long at the East-West Shrine game practice earlier in the year in Houston and came away thinking
Brown was a fourth round pick, tops.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #3
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I asked John Harris who he liked at the 15th pick. Here is his answer:

John Harris Talks First Round Texans Draft Pick

Pretty basic stuff, but it lays out the candidates as he sees them for fit with what the Texans do.
Good work. Interesting on E. Brown. I'm not sold on the guy either but can't put my finger on it...maybe it the fear of D-linemen from Fla. St.. But I like motor guys like Kruger. If you ask me I'd like to go the MLB route because I really think DeMeco is losing years in the middle. But it all depends, of course, on who falls.
Old 01-23-2009   #4
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Good quick read. The water is to muddy to tell what the Texans need to draft in round 1. But I did want to point out that with Orakpo getting beat up over the senior bowl, he just might be there at 15, unless he destroys the competition at the combine, and if you know anything about Orakpo he will.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #5
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Good quick read. The water is to muddy to tell what the Texans need to draft in round 1. But I did want to point out that with Orakpo getting beat up over the senior bowl, he just might be there at 15, unless he destroys the competition at the combine, and if you know anything about Orakpo he will.
Is Orakpo even at the Senior Bowl?
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #6
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Getting beat up in just practice but doing well in shorts wouldn't be much of a recommendation for him. Now if he does well in the game....that means the most, but then if he does that and well at the combine then he probably won't be there at 15.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #7
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Nope. Orakpo, Jason Smith, Michael Johnson, and James Laurinaitis all opted out of it.
Old 01-23-2009   #8
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK View Post
Nope. Orakpo, Jason Smith, Michael Johnson, and James Laurinaitis all opted out of it.
That's what I thought.

There seems to be no reason for him to be there. He dominated all season long and he is going to blow up the combine. No reason to risk injury in a game where your stock can't go anywhere but down.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #9
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK View Post
Curry as well.

Which is one of the reason why the 3 USC LBs are dominating in 11 vs 11s right now, and will likely start the game as a unit.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #10
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's what I thought.

There seems to be no reason for him to be there. He dominated all season long and he is going to blow up the combine. No reason to risk injury in a game where your stock can't go anywhere but down.
Agreed. He decided to skip the combine so he's now falling in all the mocks, but after the combine he will be a top 10 pick. We won't have a shot at him unless we trade up which is not going to happen.

This disappoints me because if we were going to get anybody in the 1st round it would be Orakpo. He is the perfect DE opposite Mario imo. They both have the ability to speed rush & bull rush with Mario being a better power rusher and Orakpo being a better speed rusher. They would complement each other perfectly.

If Orakpo is gone then take Raij the DT from Boston College. If he's gone then trade back and take Alphonso Smith, CB from Wake Forest. I say Everette Brown would be our last resort if we feel we NEED a DE. If we don't NEED a DE in the 1st take one of the other 2 guys.
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #11
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

B.J. Raji is a high end DT and fits a need. I don't know if it's the need or not...what ever. their chips are on Okoye....this is a redundant pick. Brace in the third or fourth gives you a run stuffer a lot cheaper. So do we want to replicate the Okoye pick...or a true nose tackle ? If you want another Okoye...wait and draft Ziggy Hood from Missouri.

Everett Brown works. For a speed rusher. You don't know if he can set the edge on the rush at this level. And you don't know if he can flip his hips and cover. You've got four months to put twenty pounds on the guy if you're drafting him as a three down hands on the ground guy. If he can't flip his hips and run...he can't stand up and play the Sam.

Ray Maualuga....can't flip his hips. He can't cover. That there thing is an inside baker in the three four. He's off our board.

Delmas works....William Moore is a bouncer. He's not a very sure tackler.

The two Smiths work.... Alphonso as Dunta insurance. Sean as a big cover corner. They're talking about Jenkins as a free safety...you figure that one out.
If we're slanting and blitzing a lot....better have corners who can man up.

The problem they have this draft is their is a ton of 3-4 tweener guys on the board. And only a hand full of true 4-3 ends on the board. What we're looking for, or should be..is a guy with a great first step. Not another Weaver. Weaver doesn't work. And the true four three guys don't have the great first step you're looking for. Lawrence Sidbury and Robert Ayers are big enough to play the four three DE. Ayers is a one year wonder from Tennessee. Sidbury has several moves as a pass rusher. Spin, inside and out side...push pull....what he doesn't have yet from what I've seen is a dip and rip....which means he's no where near his celling. Because they are so raw, they both have a shot at being there for us in the second.

Sidbury is a small school guy. So you're getting a bit of Lane college with the guy. But he has the longest arms at the position in the draft (35.5 "). Which means he can fight off the bigger tackles. His weight is wrong on the NFL senior bowl roster, 265 not 295.

I posted all of that to post this....you better get the best outside backer you can find in the first round with the fifteen. Clay Mathews....Brian Cushing...If Everret Brown can stand up...Everett Brown.

If Larry English can flip his hips next month....Him too. If you're slanting with the DTs , shooting the gaps...better have the OLBs...with size, who can scrape and fill the missing gaps. With Dilles laid up, an Adibi's injury history, Better plug that hole first with the best guy you can get your hands on.

In 2006 we sought play makers...difference makers, on offense. To drag this defense out of the cellar, they need play makers in 2009 on the defense. Trying to sneak a rush end in on defense on Manning when you're in third and long is going to be a bit of a chore. They need one of these tweeners who can stand up outside and get there when they send five.
And if they can find one guy who can do both things...that's your pick at the fifteen.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 01-23-2009 at 11:54 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #12
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Beat up over not going to the senior bowl.

For some reason these draft guys get their feelings hurt when a player chooses not to come.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I really agree with what he has to say about Alphonso Smith, db wake, similar size playmaker in secondary to a Bob Sanders less a hitter more of a cover guy yet someone to fear. key word is fear, when trying to attack a defense, thats excatly what the Texans lack, other than Mario.
Quote:
Alphonso Smith has me intrigued - tough, can play man, excellent special teams player, and I have an affinity for guys from Florida, especially for guys who come from the Muck (small area in Florida known for its Sugar Cane fields) - he's from the same area that gave us Fred Taylor, Anquan Boldin and Santonio Holmes to name a few. A little cocky arrogance combined with the ability to lock up someone in man coverage, I'm going to like that.
I might even project him to play FS in the NFL & allow him to be more involved in every play of defense.

Also like his assesment of Rey Rey Maualuga,
Quote:
Take Maualuga to get a thumper in the middle and move DeMeco to the outside and let him change the game from the perimeter. That way Ryans can blitz off the edge and run to the football a little more unabated and you get 6'2", 260 pound beast who brings it - sure he's overaggressive, but when was the last time you heard a Texan defender was overaggressive? You/We haven't, so I'll take some risk with that for the impact he can have from a physical standpoint.
would take him in a heartbeat @ #15, take Smith in a trade down or hope his height scares off enough teams to still be on the board for the Texans in the second round.....
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Beat up over not going to the senior bowl.

For some reason these draft guys get their feelings hurt when a player chooses not to come.
its all about money or love of the game. to me its important not to hide anything, want to improve, compete, stand out & display confidence in ones own ability. It would be nice if they could back this thing up a little to include those who are coming out early or just create a Junior Bowl mixed in with other eligible draftable players who desire a chance to showcase NFL skill. I for one would love to watch Evertte Brown all week in practice to see what makes him tick, gives the average fan an inside view behind scenes, nuts & bolts of what it takes to make the next level
Old 01-23-2009   #15
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

double post.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 01-23-2009 at 11:57 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #16
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 146679 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Food for thought about great moments in Senior Bowl history .

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.c...8129/index.htm

Quote:
1. Amobi Okoye/DL/ Louisville: Okoye was the talk of the town this week. Weighing in at a chiseled 287-pounds, he displayed tremendous quickness and athleticism from the first practice. Okoye, a bright and articulate 19-year-old, also interviewed well for the teams that spent time with him.
Old 01-23-2009   #17
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I really agree with what he has to say about Alphonso Smith, db wake, similar size playmaker in secondary to a Bob Sanders less a hitter more of a cover guy yet someone to fear. key word is fear, when trying to attack a defense, thats excatly what the Texans lack, other than Mario.
I might even project him to play FS in the NFL & allow him to be more involved in every play of defense.

Also like his assesment of Rey Rey Maualuga,
would take him in a heartbeat @ #15, take Smith in a trade down or hope his height scares off enough teams to still be on the board for the Texans in the second round.....
This is pretty much what I've been thinking the past few days. Right now, I'm really looking towards Maualuga or Curry in the first (no trade up, so Maualuga would be the most likely) and a stud defensive player who falls. I really like Curry. I pointed him out early in the season, and I *might* have been the one to bring him to the attention of the board. I've been on his wagon for a while regardless. I think running two smaller DTs might require some more bulk behind them. Granted Curry would slide to SOLB, but He provides good "bulk" and is just a hell of a player.
Old 01-23-2009   #18
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 146679 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
This is pretty much what I've been thinking the past few days. Right now, I'm really looking towards Maualuga or Curry in the first (no trade up, so Maualuga would be the most likely) and a stud defensive player who falls. I really like Curry. I pointed him out early in the season, and I *might* have been the one to bring him to the attention of the board. I've been on his wagon for a while regardless. I think running two smaller DTs might require some more bulk behind them. Granted Curry would slide to SOLB, but He provides good "bulk" and is just a hell of a player.
What about the new 3-4 teams taking Cushing early ? Is he safer than Brown or Maybin ?
Old 01-23-2009   #19
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post

Please refrain from using reality checks when posting in draft discussions.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post

check out his weight - chiseled 287-pounds its possible Richard Smith tried to make him something he's not, a run stuffing interior 4-3 DT. playing fast with less weight Amobi was virtually unblockable all week

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read