Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2009   #1
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx
Default DL Coach

Any interviews, candidates, ideas? This is the missing piece of the puzzle and coaches are becoming less available..........
Old 01-19-2009   #2
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: DL Coach

I'll garuntee it's somebody that's not very well known and probably coached on a Bronco squad at some point in his career already.
Old 01-19-2009   #3
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I'll garuntee it's somebody that's not very well known and probably coached on a Bronco squad at some point in his career already.
Took the words right out of my foul old mouth!!
Old 01-19-2009   #4
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

How about Rod Marinellohnevermind...
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Old 01-19-2009   #5
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's a few names to look out for:

Larry Coyer -- former Broncos DC from 2003-2006, Buccaneers DL coach 2007-2008
Greg Robinson -- Jets DL coach 1990-1993, Jets DC 1994, Broncos DC 1995-2000, Chiefs DC 2001-2003, University of Texas DC 2004, Syracuse HC 2005-2008
Larry Brooks -- Packers DL coach 1994-1998, Seahawks DL coach 1999-2002, Bears DL coach 2003, Lions DL coach 2004-05, Cardinals DL coach 2006

Just a hunch, but I'd think Coyer would be the heavy favorite, unless we're holding out to interview the Cardinals DL coach (who was brought in after Bush was let go).
Old 01-20-2009   #6
Rozelle
Rookie

Rep Power: 599 Rozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK View Post
Here's a few names to look out for:

Larry Coyer -- former Broncos DC from 2003-2006, Buccaneers DL coach 2007-2008
Greg Robinson -- Jets DL coach 1990-1993, Jets DC 1994, Broncos DC 1995-2000, Chiefs DC 2001-2003, University of Texas DC 2004, Syracuse HC 2005-2008
Larry Brooks -- Packers DL coach 1994-1998, Seahawks DL coach 1999-2002, Bears DL coach 2003, Lions DL coach 2004-05, Cardinals DL coach 2006

Just a hunch, but I'd think Coyer would be the heavy favorite, unless we're holding out to interview the Cardinals DL coach (who was brought in after Bush was let go).

I just don't think we're gonna see Coyer and Gibbs together. There were rumors Coyer had Gibbs fired in Denver, below is from PFT November, 2004

MORE ON GIBBS AND COYER

As a follow-up to Thursday's report regarding the real reason for the abrupt termination of Denver defensive backs coach David Gibbs, we're hearing that defensive coordinator Larry Coyer was feeling specifically threatened by the fact that players on the Broncos defense were going to Gibbs, not Coyer, when they had questions about the scheme.

Gibbs, we're told, was perplexed by the fact that Coyer got his nose out of joint because of this dynamic. Coaches are there to answer player questions. If players think one coach is more approachable and/or helpful than another guy, so be it.

As we said on Thursday, we have a feeling that there's even more to the story. Shanahan, in the end, had to think that he was doing the right thing by firing Gibbs, and we doubt that Shanny didn't merely accept Coyer at his word.

Still, even if Gibbs had said or done something that justified the firing, it looks like Coyer instigated the move.

Last edited by Rozelle; 01-20-2009 at 08:34 AM.
Old 01-20-2009   #7
da Bull
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK View Post
Wasn't there a feud between Coyer and Gibbs (Jr.) in Denver leading to Gibbs firing? If I recall, that lead to Shannahan (Sr.) and Gibbs (Sr.) getting cross-threaded. Maybe it wasn't Coyer......but, a pair of Gibbs beats 1 Coyer if it was.
Sponsored links
Old 01-20-2009   #8
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone know what Larry Brooks is doing these days?
Old 01-20-2009   #9
Rozelle
Rookie

Rep Power: 599 Rozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Texans View Post
Anyone know what Larry Brooks is doing these days?
I don't know, I beleive he is unemplyed. It was a strange ordeal with him last January when it was reported Washington had hired him as their DL coach, then a couple weeks later John Palermo was introduced as the DL coach.
Old 01-20-2009   #10
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14

Texans hire Bills' Kollar to coach DL:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6220659.html
Old 01-20-2009   #11
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14

From Bills Website:

Quote:
20th Year in NFL/3rd with the Bills

COACHING EXPERIENCE: Continues to stress ball pursuit and a penetrating pass-rushing style for the Bills’ defensive line ... Under Kollar, DE Aaron Schobel earned his second Pro Bowl selection following the 2007 season as he led the team with six forced fumbles and tied for the team-lead with eight tackles for loss and set a career-high with 96 tackles; Four of the team’s leaders in tackles-for-loss came on the defensive line (Schobel, DE Chris Kelsay (8), DT Kyle Williams (7) and DT John McCargo (7)) … In his first season with the Bills in 2006, Buffalo’s defensive ends ranked tied for fourth in the NFL with 26.5 sacks … helped Schobel, Kelsay and DE Ryan Denney all post career seasons. Schobel recorded a career-high 14.0 sacks and was voted a starter in the Pro Bowl. He added 95 tackles and led the team with three forced fumbles. Denney recorded career highs with 72 tackles and 6.0 sacks. Kelsay added career highs with 88 tackles and 5.5 sacks. … as the defensive line coach with the St. Louis Rams from 2001-05 his unit quickly emerged as one of the toughest and most relentless front fours in the NFL…in his five years coaching the D-line for St. Louis, he helped DE Leonard Little emerge as a premier sack artist, with 57 sacks in five seasons....prior to his time with the Rams, Kollar served as the defensive line coach for the Atlanta Falcons from 1990-00…in 1998, the Falcons' defensive line tied for the NFL lead by giving up only six rushing touchdowns and set a team record by allowing an average of 75.2 rushing yards as Atlanta won the NFC Championship and earned a trip to Super Bowl XXXIII…began his coaching career as assistant defensive line/special teams coach for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1984...moved to the University of Illinois to coach the defensive line and special teams (1985-87), then served in the same capacity at Purdue University (1988-89). PLAYING EXPERIENCE: Was a defensive lineman for eight seasons in the NFL... a first-round selection (23rd overall) by Cincinnati in the 1974 NFL draft and played three seasons for the Bengals…moved to Tampa Bay, where he started at every position on the line from 1977-81…played in the 1979 NFC Championship game against the Rams.

PERSONAL: Played college football at Montana State, where he earned an all-America selection and was named the most valuable player in the Senior Bowl…Kollar and his wife, Jan, have two sons, Chad and Clint.
He has worked with some good talent and developed some very good D-Lines, I didn't see one mention of Broncos anywhere...weird.

Some people might not be enthused about the hires, but I am really starting to like the staff we have in place for next year.

Old 01-20-2009   #12
johndoe
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 johndoe was voted MVPjohndoe was voted MVPjohndoe was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWarren14 View Post
Texans hire Bills' Kollar to coach DL:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6220659.html
just started a new thread....my bad

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read