Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-18-2009   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Superbowl in 2009-2010

Arizona is a team with a young head coach, a high powered offense, and a suspect defense.

They were 8-8 in 2007
They are in the superbowl in 2008-2009

If they can do it, "Anything is possible"

If a team like Arizona can make it to the superbowl, there is zero reason you can give me that we shouldn't expect to make it there as well.

Superbowl or bust in 2009. Anything else is a failure
Old 01-18-2009   #2
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Superbowl in 2009-2010

I'll think about Super Bowl if the Texans makes the playoffs.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009   #3
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 283140 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

We're still short a few coaches, haven't made it through free agency or the draft and we're talking super bowl already? I'd say play offs or bust next year, but I'll hold off on the super bowl until I see us actually play a few games.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I never really believed in quick turn-arounds until this year.

A 1-15 team won their division and made the playoffs
A team picking 3rd in the NFL draft last year won 11 games with a rookie QB and HC
A team that won 5 games last year and started a rookie QB this year might be in the superbowl
A team that won 9 games all year and ended the season on a string of blowouts is in the superbowl. Their combined record over the last 5 seasons is close to ours

This "it takes time" argument is crap, and I see that now. Teams dont need 10 years of careful building and coaching. They don't need years and years to gel.

They need good coaching, healthy players, and a supportive home field advantage. We were 8-8 last year. The cardinals are in the superbowl. Anything can happen
Old 01-18-2009   #5
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85602 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Superbowl or bust in 2009. Anything else is a failure.
Well, if that's the way you want to look at things next season . . . prepare to be disappointed.

Look at how many years it took the Cardinals to get there.

And it doesn't matter what the previous season's W-L was.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009   #6
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85602 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They need good coaching, healthy players, and a supportive home field advantage. . . .
. . . and a whole hell of a lot of luck.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009   #7
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104197 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Would have to invest a lot of picks in the offense to see immediate returns:

C
G
WR
Power HB
Return man

Following the Cardinals model of building an offense and taping together a defense is the only viable option for the Texans to be a real playoff team. All the defense lovers will have to accept that our D will be terrible.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-18-2009   #8
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 631 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Arizona is a team with a young head coach, a high powered offense, and a suspect defense.

They were 8-8 in 2007

If a team like Arizona can make it to the superbowl, there is zero reason you can give me that we shouldn't expect to make it there as well.
The down side to that is that the Cardinals haven't won a division championship since 1975. 33 years isn't such a fast turn around.

On the plus side, given healthy, relatively talented players and coaches plus the right calls or wrong calls in your favor, very few turnovers, the ball bouncing in your favor, peaking at exactly the right time, and a home field advantage - yes, we could make it to the Super Bowl next year.

My personal goal for this team is a winning season first, playoffs second,(both happening in 2009), and then I'll think about the Super Bowl.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009   #9
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16635 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Its a wait and see on the cards IMO

Just like the seahawks that went to the playoffs every year even the SB once but never won the big one

what iam trying to say is its easy to make playoffs every year when u play inthe NFC west where all 4 teams have a chance anything can happen

Not in our divison colts have been kings for a long time

it took the jags a long time just 2 be second

and the titans have only one like 2 divison crowns i think much of it in the late 90's
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009   #10
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Arizona has been nothing short of phenomenal this post-season but they don't make the playoffs in the AFC South this season. I have been rooting for them hard because I think we have some similarities in personnel and lack of historical success. With Bush as our D-coordinator I wouldn't mind seeing something similar to what I saw today but we are going to have to be better in the regular season than Arizona had to be in order to have a shot at the SB. I mean unless we have an offseason that totally blows me away I think I will expect about 10 wins from the Texans next season and that will at best be a coin flip chance to get a WC slot.
Old 01-18-2009   #11
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

My only question is how many of the quick turnaround are sustained for more then just one hit wonders?

One thing that you can point out with each of those teams is consistent QB play and good running games. Our offense is good enough to get us into the playoffs but our defense isn't obviously. We can all demand this team makes the playoffs but that doesn't mean it is going to happen. How about an 11-5 Pats team that lost their MVP QB and didn't make they playoffs? Being patient doesn't mean you're accepting mediocrity.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009   #12
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

They were 8-8 in 2007

Expect...?
Old 01-18-2009   #13
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

The Eagles and the Cards each won one game more than the Texans did this year and they made it to the conference championship game. One game. Now we weren't gonna make it at 9-7 in our division/conference, but it's interesting to see these teams that weren't "elite" during the regular season get hot in the post season and go all the way.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009   #14
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

They were 8-8 in 2007

I agree with your post. The Cardinals give the Texans hope that they are that close to just getting to the playoffs. The Cardinals were 8-8 last year. The only thing is they play in a much weaker division than the Texans do. It will be more difficult for the Texans to even get into the dance. Then again if we would have won the games that we should have, we might have made the playoffs instead of the Colts this year. Anyway I like the glass half full view gtexan!

This is what fans can only hope for....and hope is a good thing.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009   #15
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Would have to invest a lot of picks in the offense to see immediate returns:

C
G
WR
Power HB
Return man

Following the Cardinals model of building an offense and taping together a defense is the only viable option for the Texans to be a real playoff team. All the defense lovers will have to accept that our D will be terrible.
Are you mentally handicapped? The offense isn't the problem its the D
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009   #16
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104197 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
Are you mentally handicapped? The offense isn't the problem its the D
The D will still suck after this draft.

Draft offense and built upon the strength. Add depth to the line and skill positions. The offense is going to have to carry the team anyways.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Draft offense and built upon the strength. Add depth to the line and skill positions. The offense is going to have to carry the team anyways.
Well that's one opinion. Another is the talent was underutilized (and now we have a new DC) and 2-3 new players through FA and the draft could make a huge difference. Just getting up to the 12-15 range would be a huge difference and would let the O go be the O.

Saying we need another WR is just ignorant.

Folks are being silly about JJ. With all his foibles, he only lost one fumble ended with the 4th best average for regular punt returners--oh and was one of only 4 players to have 2 or more returns for TD's.

Last edited by infantrycak; 01-18-2009 at 08:17 PM.
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009   #18
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

A bad D can turn into an average defense in one season. We need to draft defensive players
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009   #19
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

This is the worst post ive seen on this subject. You talk about following the Cardinals model for building, when they drafted defense heavy this past draft with defensive picks in 1, 2, 4, and 6.

You wanna know why the Cards are winning playoff games this year? Good defense, good coaching and consistent QB play by Kurt.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009   #20
gtexan02
Working?

So many of you just assume that every player we have is playing up to their full potential, and so our team is not "elite" and therefore can't compete with the top teams.

Did you skip the part of my post wehre I mentioned a 1-15 team made the playoffs one year later? or that a 5-11 team after a year is battling for the superbowl with a rookie QB?

Maybe some players are crappy, but the vast majority of people don't make it to the NFL if they don't ahve what it takes in some system/form. Scouts are too good. The reason so many people end up playing crappy is:
1) They don't have the right attitude
2) They are being misutilized/poorly coached

Attitude comes with winning. And obviously coaching on defense is osmething we've been lacking

A team that went 1-15 made some minor changes and won their division. The AFC East, by the way.

Show me one person who said the Dolphins would win that division this year, and I'll be shocked. The Pats were 16-0. The Dolphins were 1-15. Come on. ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN. Maybe I should bold it.

Who cares about the titans, jags, and colts. Anything can happen. The Cardinals just made the Superbowl. 2009-2010 is Superbowl or bust

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read