Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-17-2009   #1
checo446
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 checo446 was voted MVPcheco446 was voted MVPcheco446 was voted MVPcheco446 was voted MVPcheco446 was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to checo446
Default Gartrell Johnson?

Anyone else see the East West game today? RB Gartrell Johnson seems like the type of big back we need to compliment Slaton. Runs with a lot of power, has some decent burst through the hole and is a good blocker. Seems like just what we need.

What are everyone else's thoughts on this guy?
checo446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009   #2
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18944 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Gartrell Johnson?

This probably belongs in the draft forum. Johnson has a good shot given the whole CSU fetish, but I'd rather have Lucky or Brown. We don't necessarily need a "big" back, we just need another effective one.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009   #3
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

ESPN the magazine had a feature in it mentioning the Kubiak connection to CSU (his two sons were Johnson's teammates) and how we could be interested. He could be a solid short yardage back or even a FB. His lack of burst of speed is concerning but he's physical and fits the system.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009   #4
Lucky

Rep Power: 163616 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Johnson reminds me of BenJarvus Green-Ellis, from last year's East-West game. He may have a little more giddy up in the open field than Ellis. I think he would be a good late round selection for the Texans, but I'd like the Texans to find a proven inside runner in free agency, as well.
Old 01-17-2009   #5
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84496 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I took him in the 5th rd in BL's draft a RB thread.

He would be a steal in that rd. IMO

Hopefully the RB in FA will be Pittman, Maroney (sp) or Rhodes

Introducing 2009 Houston Texans RB's

Slaton, Pittman, Johnson, Moats
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

very thick. initial acceleration is more important than his lack of long speed. looks like a big target to hit, not elusive or second effort guy gets too hung up in trash.

Sutton & Lucky both look like they could be solid back-ups behind Slaton. Lucky is a little bigger, has nice cut-back ability & sees open lanes. Sutton is smaller, quicker, ellusive high motor.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009   #7
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
very thick. initial acceleration is more important than his lack of long speed. looks like a big target to hit, not elusive or second effort guy gets too hung up in trash.

Sutton & Lucky both look like they could be solid back-ups behind Slaton. Lucky is a little bigger, has nice cut-back ability & sees open lanes. Sutton is smaller, quicker, ellusive high motor.
I've been impressed by Lucky. I think he is more than just a "big" back; I think he has the ability to actually provide some positive yardage. I like Lucky as a late round pick.
Old 01-18-2009   #8
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95075 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
This probably belongs in the draft forum. Johnson has a good shot given the whole CSU fetish, but I'd rather have Lucky or Brown. We don't necessarily need a "big" back, we just need another effective one.
No one was higher on Lucky when the season started than me. However with his off the field problems and lack of production this year I wouldnt touch him with anything but a 6th or 7th round pick if even that.

Johnson caught my eye in the New Mexico bowl game. There was a thread about it.

Last edited by mussop; 01-18-2009 at 06:45 AM.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009   #9
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Here is a Johnson highlight video for anyone interested. This guy is perfect for us. Johnson is thick (haha), doesn't dance around in the backfield, can get the tough yards, fumbled the ball exactly 0 times in his college career, and then there is the whole Colorado State connection. The only questions about this guy are his top end speed and his hands. The more I think about it, the more I think he will be our pick in the 4th or 5th.
Old 01-18-2009   #10
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

yes he looked good and would be a good compliment.
PHAROAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009   #11
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK View Post
Here is a Johnson highlight video for anyone interested. This guy is perfect for us. Johnson is thick (haha), doesn't dance around in the backfield, can get the tough yards, fumbled the ball exactly 0 times in his college career, and then there is the whole Colorado State connection. The only questions about this guy are his top end speed and his hands. The more I think about it, the more I think he will be our pick in the 4th or 5th.
Yeah, he doesnt need top end speed in the red zone. Or in short yardage.
Old 01-22-2009   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153344 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Lucky did well but I have ? on his personal stuff as mentioned above. My guy Ian Johnson did not help himself. I saw Gartrell Johnson for first time for more than just highlights and WOW! I have us selecting Shonn Green in 2nd but if not avail, I like Gartrell in 4th. I am hoping for a trade down with Atlanta to pick up a 2nd or with Eagles giving up #15 and a 4th for their two 1s.
Old 01-22-2009   #13
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
yes he looked good and would be a good compliment.
He runs the One-cut system we're using here. Lets do it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read