Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-16-2009   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 57275 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default LT may be nearing end in San Diego?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3838617

Quote:
SAN DIEGO -- The San Diego Chargers appear to be bracing their fans for the possibility that LaDainian Tomlinson's brilliant eight-year run with the team could be over.

According to the team's Web site, club president Dean Spanos called the star running back Thursday to discuss reports that the Chargers might part with Tomlinson, who has been slowed by injuries the last two postseasons and will count $8.8 million against the salary cap next year.

"We talked about the situation and I just tried to explain everything that must be considered," Spanos said in a story detailing the offseason decisions the team must make. "I told him we haven't even started our discussions and won't for a while, so don't jump to any conclusions. And I told him I would call him personally to make sure he's aware of everything that's going on."
Crazy Stuff
Old 01-16-2009   #2
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: LT may be nearing end in San Diego?

Let me the first to ask it and get it out of the way, What about LT in Houston?

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 57275 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando View Post
Let me the first to ask it and get it out of the way, What about LT in Houston?
Well, he is at that scary age for running backs....the big 3-0.

That being said, he still gained 1100 yards this year and it was the worst of hsi career. I think he's got at least 2-3 years left of 1000+ seasons, and then he'll start to fall off
Old 01-16-2009   #4
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 112924 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post

That being said, he still gained 1100 yards this year and it was the worst of hsi career. I think he's got at least 2-3 years left of 1000+ seasons, and then he'll start to fall off
That sounds familiar...who else did folks say that about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009   #5
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

We don't need him.

Old 01-16-2009   #6
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

He has also been hurt the last two years going into the playoffs. I would not trade a thing for him. Build through the draft and UFA players only.
Old 01-16-2009   #7
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 21402 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Ahman "the monster" Green!

amirite?
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-16-2009   #8
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
I see your point, but the difference would be 2 fold.

1) LT is a future hall of famer
2) LT would be brought in to share duties/score
Old 01-16-2009   #9
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I see your point, but the difference would be 2 fold.

1) LT is a future hall of famer
2) LT would be brought in to share duties/score
And you make a very good point. If Tomlinson wanted to come back to Texas to finish up his career, AND understood that he would be playing the role of "complimentary back" to Steve Slaton, AND was willing to take the kind of money that a player doing that should be paid (considerable but not exceptional bank) then it might work.

I just don't know if I've ever seen an NFL player accept the reality of his situation like that before and doubt LT would be the first to do so.
Old 01-16-2009   #10
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91991 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree. I'd love to pair Slaton and LT as a committee, but LT is not going to take the pay cut of being in a role like that. I can guarantee you guys that he doesn't think he has lost anything yet. Him being more of just a good RB in this league is still new to him, so he hasn't exactly come to grips yet that he isn't the MEGA MONSTER RUNNING BACK of the NFL anymore. We need to get another young stud who can pound the ball inside the 10.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009   #11
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72216 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Christ, I would cut Fatty Fatty Fat Fat so fast to pair him up with CJ for 1-2 seasons....

He ain't done yet.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009   #12
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

We could transition tag Dunta and trade him for LT. Just sayin.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009   #13
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

LT would really be worried if he knew that running backs are a dime a dozen.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009   #14
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
They are easier to come by, more so than for other position.
Old 01-17-2009   #15
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
We could transition tag Dunta and trade him for LT. Just sayin.
Oh come on! Really?
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009   #16
gtexan02
Working?

Since coming into the league 8 years ago, LT has averaged
1460 rushing yards per season
16 rushing TDs per season

475 receiving yards per season
2 receiving TDs per season

20 passing yards per season
and 1 passing TD per season

Those are not "dime a dozen" numbers
Old 01-17-2009   #17
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto View Post
Christ, I would cut Fatty Fatty Fat Fat so fast to pair him up with CJ for 1-2 seasons....

He ain't done yet.
We'll take your Fatty Fatty Fat Fat cause we need a thumper! See if you can get LT off of the training table in week 18 next year.

We already had the Ahman Green experiment here in Houston. We don't need Part Deaux!
Old 01-17-2009   #18
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
We'll take your Fatty Fatty Fat Fat cause we need a thumper! See if you can get LT off of the training table in week 18 next year.

We already had the Ahman Green experiment here in Houston. We don't need Part Deaux!
I know LT is having some injury problems this year, but over his 8 year career, he has missed ONE regular season game. I mean, sheesh, he has averaged 330 rushing attempts and 60 catches a year for his career. Thats nearly 400 touches a season

On the other hand, Green averaged 200 attempts per year with 40 catches in his 9 years prior to Houston.

LT's average stats are better than Green's best years.

I am fine with saying "He's too old. 30 is dangerous" But dont' compare the guy to Ahman Green. There are plenty of examples of Hall of Fame RBs who lose a little, but are still hella-productive late into their careers
Old 01-17-2009   #19
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
Yes hall of fame runningbacks are a dime a dozen. Where can I subscribe to your newsletter?
Old 01-17-2009   #20
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Quote:
I know LT is having some injury problems this year, but over his 8 year career, he has missed ONE regular season game. I mean, sheesh, he has averaged 330 rushing attempts and 60 catches a year for his career. Thats nearly 400 touches a season

On the other hand, Green averaged 200 attempts per year with 40 catches in his 9 years prior to Houston.

LT's average stats are better than Green's best years.

I am fine with saying "He's too old. 30 is dangerous" But dont' compare the guy to Ahman Green. There are plenty of examples of Hall of Fame RBs who lose a little, but are still hella-productive late into their careers
I was on board with the Green signing for the same reasons folks are pining for LT. He will will want feature back money.

Paying big money to an RB with little tread left on the tires? Been there done that. Fool me once...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read