Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-15-2009   #1
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Schwartz the new HC in Motown

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3835911

Quote:
The Detroit Lions have reached an agreement in principle with Jim Schwartz to become their next head coach.

Schwartz, the Tennessee Titans' defensive coordinator for the past eight seasons, has agreed in principle to a four-year contract, sources told ESPN.

The Lions will hold an introductory news conference for Schwartz on Friday.
Wonder who gets the Titans' DC gig, as Gregg Williams has moved on to the Saints.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009   #2
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Schwartz the new HC in Motown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3835911

Wonder who gets the Titans' DC gig, as Gregg Williams has moved on to the Saints.
I heard Richard Smith was available.
Old 01-15-2009   #3
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

You know with all these coaching changes and coordinators being promoted to first time head coaching jobs I have to wonder why these owners offer these guys contracts for 4 years?

He may be a total bomb after one or 2 and then they're stuck paying the rest of the contract.

I'd give him a 2 year contract and see how it goes after that.

I don't get the multiple year thing.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009   #4
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Please be Richard Smith, please be richard smith, please be richard smith
Old 01-15-2009   #5
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

So this brings up the question. Who's available for Tennessee now?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009   #6
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
You know with all these coaching changes and coordinators being promoted to first time head coaching jobs I have to wonder why these owners offer these guys contracts for 4 years?

He may be a total bomb after one or 2 and then they're stuck paying the rest of the contract.

I'd give him a 2 year contract and see how it goes after that.

I don't get the multiple year thing.
Well that is the exact same thing the Texans did. I agree with you though, but the Texans should be criticized the same way then.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009   #7
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

HAHA!!! They lost a huge playoff game, their defensive coordinator, and POSSIBLY their all-pro DT and QB!!!

God frowns on Bud!
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-15-2009   #8
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

I've got no problem with this hiring and really want the Lions to finally become a winning team.
Old 01-15-2009   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Great news! Good luck Mr. Schwartz! Glad you're no longer with Slug's team.
Old 01-15-2009   #10
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
not sure .. only name I saw someone throw out at their boards is
Dave McGinnis

just someone throwing out a name
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009   #11
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87732 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Please be Richard Smith, please be richard smith, please be richard smith
Nah, that would just lead to the inevitable "The Texans are a stupid and impatient organization if they let someone like him go" thread.
Old 01-15-2009   #12
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
They will hire the guy that I wanted to coach our defense, Sean McDermontt. The DB coach to phily.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009   #13
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanfan2002114 View Post
They will hire the guy that I wanted to coach our defense, Sean McDermontt. The DB coach to phily.
I bet Fisher promotes from within and takes a more active role in the defense.
Old 01-15-2009   #14
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Well that is the exact same thing the Texans did. I agree with you though, but the Texans should be criticized the same way then.
I would have talked to a guy that HAS been a HC somewhere before.

I can't imagine the Lions fans jumping for joy over the Titans DC becoming their new head coach...won't sell many tickets I wouldn't think.

I just don't get the 4 year contract. Maybe that's the NFL rule or something. I'd give him 2 years...see how it's going...and then extend him if he's doing a good job.

As it is he could come in there...go 0-16 again...2-14 the next year...and you're going to fire him anyway but now you have to pay him for 2 years of work he's not even going to do. Doesn't seem worth the risk to me. Or the money!
Old 01-15-2009   #15
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
I bet Fisher promotes from within and takes a more active role in the defense.
Yea.I agree with you. Seems like the smart thing to do anyway.
Old 01-15-2009   #16
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've got no problem with this hiring and really want the Lions to finally become a winning team.

Exactly. The Lions fans right now are probably saying

"May the Schwartz be with us!"
Old 01-15-2009   #17
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
I would have talked to a guy that HAS been a HC somewhere before.

I can't imagine the Lions fans jumping for joy over the Titans DC becoming their new head coach...won't sell many tickets I wouldn't think.

I just don't get the 4 year contract. Maybe that's the NFL rule or something. I'd give him 2 years...see how it's going...and then extend him if he's doing a good job.

As it is he could come in there...go 0-16 again...2-14 the next year...and you're going to fire him anyway but now you have to pay him for 2 years of work he's not even going to do. Doesn't seem worth the risk to me. Or the money!
I agree with what you're saying here. I think the Texans should have done the same thing with Kubes. We were practically in the same situation when we hired Kubes. We had a horrible team with no QB and a fantastic WR.

Four years is to long to guarantee to any coach really unless they are proven winners with a great resume, and even then they should still be graded accordingly season by season. I wanted Capers gone by year 3, and you see what happened when he returned for the 4th.
Old 01-15-2009   #18
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Schwartz blitzed as much as Smith, but with his defensive front, he was still able to generate a real good rush.

IMO, the Lions could have done better.
Old 01-15-2009   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree with what you're saying here. I think the Texans should have done the same thing with Kubes. We were practically in the same situation when we hired Kubes. We had a horrible team with no QB and a fantastic WR.

Four years is to long to guarantee to any coach really unless they are proven winners with a great resume, and even then they should still be graded accordingly season by season. I wanted Capers gone by year 3, and you see what happened when he returned for the 4th.
Try and get a coach on a 2 year contract and you are going to have to pay even more for those 2 years since 4 is the NFL norm. Go after an established coach and you won't get him at all.

Besides, what do you care, it isn't your money. McNair paid money to Capers after he was long gone.
Old 01-15-2009   #20
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Gee from what you're telling me maybe it's the "standard" contract for HC's or something?

I just don't know. But it seems like every year these guys are gone after just a few if they fail miserably..why would a team want to tie themself to a coach for 4 years?

I vascilate on Kubiak. Sometime I think he's doing a good job and then I'll think fire the bum! I can't get a handle on how I feel about his job performance. He makes a lot of dumb mistakes but then again the team can play beautiful ball one week and you think AH HA! He's the next Lombardi....

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read