Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-07-2005   #1
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans sign CFL Sack Leader

this may influence who the Texans are targeting with that first pick- Texans sign Ti-Cats DE Cheatwood 6-4 250lbs.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/news_story.asp?id=110313

That would be addressing a need on the cheap, more & more looks like the Texans targeting either a Offensive or Defensive Lineman with the first pick
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005   #2
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Hate to burst your bubble, but somebody bet you to it.

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...ead.php?t=5253
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134504 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

There has been a 2 week old thread on this in the bullpen.

In the off season, teams will be signing all kinds of guys. It's that time of year.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005   #4
Mistril48
All Pro

Sometimes a guy they pick up will work out ...

For those who have been around the Texans' boards for longer than me, is this how it started with Armstong? Had anyone spotted him and his potential?
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134504 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

yeah, way before. Grizzled was way, way, way out in front of the curve on Armstrong.

Old 01-07-2005   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

My only really point to make is that the Texans are addressing one of their primary needs without exclusivley using the draft. Here is a player that could fill the shoes (& more cheaply) than many of the players discussed in the upcoming draft, among some of the names bantered about include Derrick Johnson, Thomas Davis, David Pollack & Mathias Kiwanuka. Thats all I intended to imply bringing this thread to the draft page.

The major need/s clearly are a big, strong, young Nose Tackle and help on the offensive line, a what specific position however I'm still not convinced.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005   #7
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

im not really convinced that we need any OLB help at all. Im not against picking up new talent of course.. but I think the problems with our pass rush can be laid at the feet of our Dline. a more dominant Dline would tie up olines better, and free up our OLBs.

ya know.. the line is the most important aspect of the game, on both offense and defense.. and here we are needing to repair both of them. that aint good.. I hope our front office has some magic planned.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-07-2005   #8
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
... I think the problems with our pass rush can be laid at the feet of our Dline. a more dominant Dline would tie up olines better, and free up our OLBs...
I agree, but I would add a comment. The Texans use the 3-4 as their base, but freely switch to a 4-2 (with the D-line operating as a 4-3 ie. 2 DEs and 2 DTs) when they go to nickle. Because teams will frequently pass on first down as well as 'passing situations' (ie. when the D is in nickle), the Texans need to generate pss rush with both 3 DL and 2 OLB and with 2 DEs and 2DTs.

In addition, in modern football with a lot of specialization, D lineman often share reps. Accordingly, when the Texans activate 5 DL on gameday, they could have some DL who specialize as 4-2 pass rush DTs (like Walker) and some who are more suited as 3-4 DL (like Payne), although of course, they can still fill in reps in the other substitution packages.

I guess what I'm saying is that while the Texans use 3 DT type 2-gap DL to swallow blockers in the 3-4, they could really use a penetrating DT to use with Walker when they are in their nickle packages. Push up front will result in the most disruption of the offense and sacks.
Old 01-08-2005   #9
travfrancis
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 travfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballottravfrancis is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to travfrancis

in the nickel do we use peek - walker - smith - babin on the line?
travfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005   #10
chuckko

Default new texan signing from the North

It probably hasnt sunk in to you folks in Texas yet, but the team has just kidnapped the top sack master in the Canadian Football League-- Defensive End ..Tim Cheatwood. great player, fast as greased lightening.. (remember the Canadian field is umpteen times larger than the NFL.. aggressive as a bear
played for my team the Hamilton Tiger Cats---

our loss, your gain

good luck tim
Old 01-08-2005   #11
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

if he wasnt 27 years old id be more excited about him. but even if he turns into a playmaker and starter, he only has 4-5 more years before he starts to deteriorate. still a good pick up... but ill save my cheering for when we fix the oline
Old 01-08-2005   #12
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
... but ill save my cheering for when we fix the oline

The O-Line
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005   #13
Grid
Hall of Fame

Old 01-08-2005   #14
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by travfrancis
in the nickel do we use peek - walker - smith - babin on the line?
As I recall, early in the year and early in the game, they used Wong - Smith - Walker - Babin and later in the year and later in the game (generally) they switched Wong to Peek (and moved Wong into Foreman's ILB slot.
Old 01-08-2005   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
if he wasnt 27 years old id be more excited about him. but even if he turns into a playmaker and starter, he only has 4-5 more years before he starts to deteriorate. still a good pick up... but ill save my cheering for when we fix the oline
Grid, that post is just downright goofy. He is only in his prime right now aaaaand you are complaining that he may not produce a half a decade from now? You don't have to get excited but are you that worried about the 2009 Texans? Try to be happy the Texans were able to sign the top sack guy in Canada (that is built to play OLB). He could have gone elsewhere. Perhaps he works out, perhaps not, but now we have another bullet in the gun.

Old 01-08-2005   #16
Grid
Hall of Fame

maybe I didnt come off quite like i wanted to.. I didnt mean "ho hum who cares" .. I was just trying to say:

"I wish he was younger so that if he turns out to be good we could expect to have him around for 10 years" and "Its a good pickup, but im not gonna be real excited until we fix our Oline"

wasnt trying to say it was a bad move or anything.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read