Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-14-2009   #1
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected
Default I put together a Mock Draft Tracker for the Texans pick

I'm going to try and update it as much as possible - but if you want to check it out, it's here:

2009 Texans Mock Draft Tracker

I basically went to Walter Football and some other sites where they collect mocks, and just entered all the different mock's pick for the Texans in one table.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009   #2
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: I put together a Mock Draft Tracker for the Texans pick

Rep.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009   #3
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 133685 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Seems like everyone on the planets thinks we'll go Defense (except Sideline Scouting).

Remember a couple years back when everyone knew we'd go Offense?

It's going to be interesting...

Great info! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009   #4
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Seems like everyone on the planets thinks we'll go Defense (except Sideline Scouting).

Remember a couple years back when everyone knew we'd go Offense?

It's going to be interesting...

Great info! Thanks.
LOL - indeed. I actually found one mock that had us taking Sam Bradford. I didn't bother to include it. Heh.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 01-14-2009   #5
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111966 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Why do all of them have us taking William Moore. No way would the Texans take him at 15. God I hope not. Some in here may want Moore, but I'm not that high on the guy at all and NO WAY at 15. Maybe if we were to trade down, but Mays was the only S I wanted in the first round.

I think we should go with Aaron Maabin or a top LB.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009   #6
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Why do all of them have us taking William Moore. No way would the Texans take him at 15. God I hope not. Some in here may want Moore, but I'm not that high on the guy at all and NO WAY at 15. Maybe if we were to trade down, but Mays was the only S I wanted in the first round.
I agree - I think Moore is a reach at 15. Mays is the only safety I think was worth a first-round pick by the Texans - unless we trade WAY back, but even then... I'm not at all a fan of Moore.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 01-14-2009   #7
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111966 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
I agree - I think Moore is a reach at 15. Mays is the only safety I think was worth a first-round pick by the Texans - unless we trade WAY back, but even then... I'm not at all a fan of Moore.
Well we're on the same page as far as that is concerned.

Like I've said for the last two weeks or so, realistically I think the best player available as far as OUR NEEDS go on defense will be a LB like Muleauga, Curry, or Spikes, but Spikes didn't overly impress me in the National Championship game. I've got a buddy that swears Spikes is the real deal though, so he has me a bit intrigued.

Since we need a DE so bad, I like Maabin because he was really really productive even as a Junior so he might have even been better as a Senior. Orakpo should be gone, and I think our only real hope at DE in the first would be Maabin, but I'm betting he'll be gone as well. So that will most likely leave us with one of those LB's I mentioned in which I would happy with. I love Aaron Curry. God, him and Demeco would be great together.
Sponsored links
Old 01-14-2009   #8
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybin looks like a 3-4 rush LB to me.

I think he could play weak DE in a 4-3, but he weighs 235-240 right now. I'm not comfortable with that. If we drafted him to play DE, he would definitely need to add some muscle.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009   #9
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Maybin looks like a 3-4 rush LB to me.

I think he could play weak DE in a 4-3, but he weighs 235-240 right now. I'm not comfortable with that. If we drafted him to play DE, he would definitely need to add some muscle.
God I get so sick of worrying about what player fits well in the 4-3 or the 3-4. I wish most of these players could just be a little bit more versatile and be able to play in both.

That is one thing I loved about when I first heard Will Muschamp say when he first got to Texas. He said he didn't care what kind of player you are or think you are. He said he wanted players that could play in either system, and find ways to be successful. He said he wanted FOOTBALL PLAYERS. Not 3-4 guys or 4-3 guys. FOOTBALL PLAYERS.
Old 01-14-2009   #10
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm going to barf if I see Moore at 15 for us one more time. I was on footballs future and I swear 7 of the first 8 mocks I looked at had us taking Moore. I closed the browser.

The problem I have with all these mock drafts that are out there is that they focus on team need 99% of the time. People are usually a fan of one or two teams that they know well and then just get an idea of what other teams' needs are and fill them accordingly. While mocks even the day before the draft are generally way off... there's just more to it than "the Texans never had a good Safety, they need major secondary help so Moore is the pick here." I get the rationale, it's just not how NFL teams think.

I do find them fun to look at and always support people making mock drafts. I don't look at them to be big tools as to a players draft status at all though. Even "pros" like Wright seem to be way off base in my opinion, but I guess that's why its an interesting thing. McGuire's got Brandon Spikes dropping to the 59th pick? LOL... surprised he doesn't have Curry in the 2nd round!

In any case, great work DiehardChris- Rep!
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009   #11
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

I looked at the only draft that had us taking Raji first. After the 12 pick Curry, Raji and Jenkins were still all available. IMO the 3 best defensive player in this draft. If that were to happen I would have a heart attact.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009   #12
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264424 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
I'm going to try and update it as much as possible - but if you want to check it out, it's here:

2009 Texans Mock Draft Tracker

I basically went to Walter Football and some other sites where they collect mocks, and just entered all the different mock's pick for the Texans in one table.
I like what you did.... good job.
Old 01-15-2009   #13
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27155 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Well we're on the same page as far as that is concerned.

Like I've said for the last two weeks or so, realistically I think the best player available as far as OUR NEEDS go on defense will be a LB like Muleauga, Curry, or Spikes, but Spikes didn't overly impress me in the National Championship game. I've got a buddy that swears Spikes is the real deal though, so he has me a bit intrigued.

Since we need a DE so bad, I like Maabin because he was really really productive even as a Junior so he might have even been better as a Senior. Orakpo should be gone, and I think our only real hope at DE in the first would be Maabin, but I'm betting he'll be gone as well. So that will most likely leave us with one of those LB's I mentioned in which I would happy with. I love Aaron Curry. God, him and Demeco would be great together.

Make that 3 of us that have no desire to see William Moore in a Texans uniform. As of now this guy is highly overrated. If Curry fell to us I think I'd pass out, I don't think it'll happen but OMG if it did. WOW. I think Spikes might be worth a 1st round pick but only if we trade down. I honestly don't expect that the Texans will take a DE on the first day of the draft, maybe later but not early. Weaver is too expensive to let go and was beggining to play better toward the end of the season. Maybe with a new DC and scheme Weaver might turn into something worth keeping. I don't think the Texans are ready to give up on him yet.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Weaver is too expensive to let go and was beggining to play better toward the end of the season.
This is the first year the Texans would save cap money by letting Weaver go. Yes there would be dead money, but overall there would be a cap savings. The two positions Bush identified as needs on D were DE and S.
Old 01-15-2009   #15
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

4 for no Moore...

Vontae Davis, Raji, E. Brown are my 3 choices right now (with my limited college football watching and even more limited scout sheet readings). Michael Crabtree would be awesome to have on Madden but...not in real life.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009   #16
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
The two positions Bush identified as needs on D were DE and S.
I missed it, when did he say that?
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I missed it, when did he say that?
He was interviewed on 610 am the day after he was promoted. He was vague about most things other than attacking, playing with violence, getting uphill but when pressed about draft picks and upgrades on D he said something close to--well we need someone to pair with Mario and a safety to upgrade the secondary.
Old 01-15-2009   #18
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Can you say Michael Johnson 1 and Rashad Johnson 2. Although I hate not doing BPA, the new DC is going to get his picks early.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009   #19
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90044 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
4 for no Moore...

Vontae Davis, Raji, E. Brown are my 3 choices right now (with my limited college football watching and even more limited scout sheet readings). Michael Crabtree would be awesome to have on Madden but...not in real life.
I love Vontae Davis' athleticism and his ability to play multiple positions (CB and FS).

But he was benched this season by Illinois for lack of effort. We don't need that headache.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

maybe Moore gets into the right training facility/trainer loses 12 & runs his forty in the 4.4 range? the one thing the Texans do need is a true centerfielder who has range to cover & become a playmaker in secondary.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read