Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-14-2009   #1
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Ok Cowboy fans I need some help

I'm talking to a guy I know at work and the Cowboys come up and he's talking about how he used to hate the Cowboys (Aikman era) because they always seemed to be able to beat his guys when they played and how you just knew they were going to come back even when you had them down.

I then told him about the Cowboys in the 70's and how infuriating they were to play against. Very difficult opponent who also never seemed to be out of it no matter how well you played. As I was telling him about this (He's like early 20's) I mentioned how demoralizing it was to watch them all come up to the line, set, and then reset before running the play and how their offense looked so damned "automatic" with Landry standing there looking totally unreadable and their linemen doing that robot shift thing.... and he had no idea what I was talking about.

I know you guys know what I'm talking about but do any of you know where there's any old footage of the Cowboys line doing that? I'm trying to explain it and how cool it used to look but I want to show him what I'm talking about. A quick look at Youtube didn't turn anything up.

Anyone know where a clip showing that is online?
Old 01-14-2009   #2
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ok Cowboy fans I need some help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I'm talking to a guy I know at work and the Cowboys come up and he's talking about how he used to hate the Cowboys (Aikman era) because they always seemed to be able to beat his guys when they played and how you just knew they were going to come back even when you had them down.

I then told him about the Cowboys in the 70's and how infuriating they were to play against. Very difficult opponent who also never seemed to be out of it no matter how well you played. As I was telling him about this (He's like early 20's) I mentioned how demoralizing it was to watch them all come up to the line, set, and then reset before running the play and how their offense looked so damned "automatic" with Landry standing there looking totally unreadable and their linemen doing that robot shift thing.... and he had no idea what I was talking about.

I know you guys know what I'm talking about but do any of you know where there's any old footage of the Cowboys line doing that? I'm trying to explain it and how cool it used to look but I want to show him what I'm talking about. A quick look at Youtube didn't turn anything up.

Well I'm laughing because I still look at the talent of the 70s team..which was my childhood team and think they were one of the most talented in history. So to think of someone who doesn't know of that part of the history..that is funny.

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about and it was unreal to see guys start to bend down, get up like the changing of the guard and simultaneously move and get back down. I didn't find any video but I did find another article

http://ezinearticles.com/?That-Stran...-Did&id=798594
Old 01-14-2009   #3
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Trying so hard to be polite here.......oh well, I'll say it.........WHO CARES? It's the freakin' cowboys.

sort of

Last edited by Hardcore Texan; 01-14-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Hardcore Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009   #4
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 162338 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I know exactly what you are talking about. I remember telling my dad I hoped one day one of them would hurt a back muscle doing that unnecessary maneuver (I was a kid, what can I say).

I'll see if I can find a gif online or something later on.
Old 01-14-2009   #5
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 122990 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

herv best I got is this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUDdb...ext=1&index=21

I thought in the 80's the linemen stood up more and then back down ,but in this clip of steelers-cowboys superbowl, they didn't do up as high as I thought they did as a kid
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009   #6
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 162338 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's another one but it's about the same deal as Wolf's. I still watched all of it. This is MNF '79 Browns/Cowboys, Gifford, Dandy Don, Howard. Check out the Cowboy uniforms, those were my favorite Cowboys uni's of all. Not only did they look the best but the Cowboys felt they were cursed when they wore them..lol.

If you can't see the whole vid, watch the Sipe to Newsome TD at the very end, sweet.

ROBERT NEWHOUSE IN THE HOUUUSE.

Gifford, Dandy Don, Howard. *sniff* Toalk amoungst yourselves.
Old 01-14-2009   #7
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35954 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
herv best I got is this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUDdb...ext=1&index=21

I thought in the 80's the linemen stood up more and then back down ,but in this clip of steelers-cowboys superbowl, they didn't do up as high as I thought they did as a kid
They do it right at the 2:15 mark..
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-14-2009   #8
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139196 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Also watch the game between Coach Herman Boone / Coach Bill Yoast's Alexandria Va. team versus Coach Ed Henry for the state championship. Ed Henry's team does the "robot shift"....

Old 01-14-2009   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 388264 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Not what you were looking for but damn that was a team and QB--Staubach
Old 01-14-2009   #10
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I saw Roger play alot and he was the toughest QB I've ever seen. I use to go to the games where Tom would have Roger in and then put in Craig Morton..that's how far back I go.

Roger still looks like he could play! Greatness there.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009   #11
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139196 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
I saw Roger play alot and he was the toughest QB I've ever seen. I use to go to the games where Tom would have Roger in and then put in Craig Morton..that's how far back I go.

Roger still looks like he could play! Greatness there.
Apparently you never watched Dan Pastorini. That was the toughest SOB QB from that era that I can remember.
Old 01-14-2009   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 388264 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Apparently you never watched Dan Pastorini. That was the toughest SOB QB from that era that I can remember.
Didn't watch him enough to compare. I did watch Staubach go back into a game with his throwing hand pinkie bent 90 degrees at the 1st knuckle. Watch Staubach lower his head and shoulders and finish his runs. Landry used to chew his butt about that--some of those rare occasions you saw Landry animated.
Old 01-14-2009   #13
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Never saw Pastorini other than a blurb on the sports highlights. I didn't watch the Oilers. I'll go with Roger but to me most QB's are really tough guys. It's just the nature of the beast.
Old 01-14-2009   #14
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Didn't watch him enough to compare. I did watch Staubach go back into a game with his throwing hand pinkie bent 90 degrees at the 1st knuckle. Watch Staubach lower his head and shoulders and finish his runs. Landry used to chew his butt about that--some of those rare occasions you saw Landry animated.
Roger's hand is still all funky from his playing days.
Old 01-14-2009   #15
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Never saw Pastorini other than a blurb on the sports highlights. I didn't watch the Oilers. I'll go with Roger but to me most QB's are really tough guys. It's just the nature of the beast.
I have a Dan Pastorini jersey (childhood hero) but if I'm putting together a football team I'm going to go with Staubach over Pastorini every single time that question comes up. I'm sorry but that's just a no-brainer right there.
Old 01-14-2009   #16
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Quote:
First man to wear the flak jacket and for good reason. They once did an x-ray on his knee and found two ribs.
Old 01-14-2009   #17
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35954 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
They do it right at the 2:15 mark..
Nevrmind, I thought that was it. I now wanna see it... Robot looking formation, that sounds cool.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009   #18
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Well I'm laughing because I still look at the talent of the 70s team..which was my childhood team and think they were one of the most talented in history.
C'mon Froggy, get real !
The Cowboys '90s SB teams would kill the '70s team. Actually most '90s
NFL team would kill the '70s team.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009   #19
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I have a Dan Pastorini jersey (childhood hero) but if I'm putting together a football team I'm going to go with Staubach over Pastorini every single time that question comes up. I'm sorry but that's just a no-brainer right there.
I remember seeing some corny movie Dan made once...it was horrible. Let's just say he was no actor.

I only saw the Oilers once and Warren was the QB.

On Roger/Dan question...one is a HOF and the other isn't. It is a no-brainer but I wouldn't question his toughness even if I had watched him based on what's being said here.
Old 01-14-2009   #20
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I remember seeing some corny movie Dan made once...it was horrible. Let's just say he was no actor.

I only saw the Oilers once and Warren was the QB.

On Roger/Dan question...one is a HOF and the other isn't. It is a no-brainer but I wouldn't question his toughness even if I had watched him based on what's being said here.

Killer Fish, and no he wasn't an actor, he was a QB.

My favorite QB as a kid.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read