Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-08-2005   #21
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID
So what if Mike Williams runs a 4.6? Anquan Boldin ran a 4.7 at the combine 2 years ago and the scouts said "OMG why is this kid here?" and look at the numbers he has posted up in Arizona with QBs throwing to him by the name of Jeff Blake and Josh McCown.
All well and good, but Boldin wasn't picked at 13 now was he? Not saying that Williams isn't good, just that he isn't the number 1 WR in the draft
at this point, plus he probaly isn't the type of WR we would be looking to draft.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005   #22
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy
If Mike Williams runs the 4.6 or worse most people expect him to, I doubt he'll be worth the 13th pick.
Michael Clayton averaged a 4.64 40 at the combine last year. Tampa Bay looked at the film, saw a football player, and drafted Clayton at #15 anyway. Michael rewarded them with a 80 reception, 1200 yard season.

Every season, the almighty 40 is debunked. Every offseason, it's resurrected.
Old 01-08-2005   #23
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

But the Bucs needed a receivers, not a single receiver (if WE even need that many); and the type of receiver we need is a burner, and after watching teh film several people noticed that Willams rarly pulled away from anybody, much less the "great" DBs of the Pac-10
Old 01-08-2005   #24
bad
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 bad is on the Pro-Bowl ballotbad is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy
...and after watching teh film several people noticed that Willams rarly pulled away from anybody, much less the "great" DBs of the Pac-10
Yeah but the beauty of the thing was that he didn't NEED to pull away from anyone in order to dominate a game. He didn't even need to be open - he'd just outjump and outmuscle anyone in his way then it would be on them to try and drag him down. Plus he can make the tough catches.

I think it's a moot point anyway. Williams will be gone by the time the Texans pick.
bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005   #25
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad
Yeah but the beauty of the thing was that he didn't NEED to pull away from anyone in order to dominate a game. He didn't even need to be open - he'd just outjump and outmuscle anyone in his way then it would be on them to try and drag him down. Plus he can make the tough catches.

I think it's a moot point anyway. Williams will be gone by the time the Texans pick.

But we won't be able to out-anything most of the NFL DBs. I'm not saying he isn't a good receiver, just that I don't think a) he's worth the 13th pick and b) that he isn't the best type of reciever to fit the needs of the Texans. When/if Bradford we need another DEEP threat, not a possesion type receiver.
Old 01-09-2005   #26
TexansCanes
All Pro

40 is very overrated for wr, if they can fly that just helps them, but a slow time shouldn't hurt them in my opinion. but i don't think bmw is the right wr for this team. just because carr looks to johnson and then dumps it off to davis doesn't mean that gaffney isn't a number 2 wr. their is a reason why we took him in the second round and if you watch him in college you would see why. big mike isn't the deep threat that is really missing. he have the all everything guy-johnson, the good hands guy-gaffney, now we need a solid speed guy.
Old 01-09-2005   #27
fresno8
Veteran

I like Gaffney as our #3, I think he can turn into a Stokely like slot WR. He has good hands and runs good routes. I just don't see him as our #2 and taking away coverages from AJ. We need a Tyrone Calico/Ashlie Lelie like WR as our #2. Gaffney will have many good years for us once we get our line problems solved. He has developed nicely and is still young.
Old 01-09-2005   #28
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresno8
I like Gaffney as our #3, I think he can turn into a Stokely like slot WR. He has good hands and runs good routes. I just don't see him as our #2 and taking away coverages from AJ. We need a Tyrone Calico/Ashlie Lelie like WR as our #2. Gaffney will have many good years for us once we get our line problems solved. He has developed nicely and is still young.
i agree fresno, but what about Armstrong as the #2?
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005   #29
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
We need a Tyrone Calico/Ashlie Lelie like WR as our #2.
Funny you say that because Gaff's rookie year was almost twice as better than Calico's rookie year and Gaff was step for step with Lelie for career stats until this year when the Broncos decided to use Lelie more and while the Texans let Gaff disappear for games at a time...

Gaff was thrown at 68 times this year
Lelie was thrown at 101 times this year

I would love to see what Gaff could do with 101 balls thrown his way...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005   #30
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
I would love to see what Gaff could do with 101 balls thrown his way...
Gaffney at 101 targets would project to 61-938-3
Old 01-09-2005   #31
THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID
Rookie

Send a message via MSN to THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID Send a message via Yahoo to THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID

We don't need a speedster, we need a playmaker. Speedster and Playmaker are two different things. Don't get me wrong, a speedster can be a playmaker, but Mike Williams atlethic and phyiscal ablititys are so great, he is a natural playmaker. We have a guy in AJ who is going to stretch a defense. Mike Williams is a guy who can run the short slants and fight a little 5'10 corner for the ball. He could also be a major red zone target, somewhere I beleive we had little success at this season, if we could get there.

I agree that Gaffney is going to have a stellur carrer here, I just think he is better fitted as a #3 WR. You mention his days at Florida.......wasn't that still when Spurrier's fun and gun game was in the swamp? I just think we should give Carr one more target. Maybe that target is a TE I don't know. I'm jush not satisfied with AJ, DD, and JG. MW would make that combination a lot better.
THE_HONKEY_TONK_KID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005   #32
fresno8
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
i agree fresno, but what about Armstrong as the #2?
I'd like to see what Armstrong can do as a 2. He might be that guy. I haven't seen him enough to make that judgement. What I do know is he has made clutch catches and can run after the catch. Maybe I'm not being fair to Gaffney, but I just don't see him as a #2. He doesn't have the after the catch ability that I'd like in a 2, he does catch most balls and I can't complain about that. Until our O-line is solved we won't know what Gaffney and Armstrong can fully do for this offense and what their roles will be. I like Gaffney and Armstrong for the long run we have 2 young solid WR.
Old 01-10-2005   #33
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Maybe I'm not being fair to Gaffney, but I just don't see him as a #2. He doesn't have the after the catch ability that I'd like in a 2, he does catch most balls and I can't complain about that.
Just an FYI--Gaffney actually had a higher yards after catch average than Armstrong this year, a higher percentage of his receptions were over 20 yards and his longest was 69 vs. 44. Now the playcalling certainly played a part in that. Armstrong seemed very underutilized in the 2nd half of the season.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read