Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-13-2009   #1
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8652 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Defensive players that fit the Frank Bush mold

Okay draft experts...put your heads together and find some potential Texans entering the draft who fit the Frank Bush mold of defense as per John McClain:

Per McClain on his chat today:

John McClain: I hope Frank Bush gets it. Frank will blitz like crazy and have the linemen shoot the gaps to get after the quarterback and give the defense an identity -- everybody to the ball and hit until the whistle. That's the system he was brought up under.

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2009/01/t...chat_0113.html

Who's coming out that we might be looking at for this type of defense?
Old 01-13-2009   #2
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72046 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Defensive players that fit the Frank Bush mold

Out of nowhere pick. Late rounds.

Victor Butler #90

Defensive End
Height: 6-foot-2
Weight: 235 pounds
Class Year: Sr
Experience: 3V
Hometown: Rialto, CA
High School: Eisenhower HS

Last edited by Blake; 01-13-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #3
Blake
MMQB

Rep Power: 72046 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Round1 Possibilities.

Michael Johnson, Georgia Tech

Height: 6-7. Weight: 257.

Everette Brown, Florida State
Height: 6-4. Weight: 250.
Old 01-13-2009   #4
Blake
MMQB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali4Real View Post
Michael Johnson is a good DE but I think he needs to bulk up more and get to at least 280-lbs. However, I feel that Johnson will be another Mario Williams and thats not the type of DE I would like on the Texans. I want a guy who can play the weakside DE spot because I'm assuming Williams will be playing across from the TE.

So, here's who I'm looking @ in no particular order:

A.) Brian Orakpo

B.) Everette Brown

C.) Larry English

D.) Matt Shaughnessy

E.) Brandon Graham

F.) Tim Jamison
A couple of things. Brandon Graham is staying for his senior year.

What makes you think that Michael Johnson wouldn't be a good rush DE on the weakside? He had 17.5 TFL & nine sacks this season.
Old 01-13-2009   #5
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74252 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Michael Johnson is a good DE but I think he needs to bulk up more and get to at least 280-lbs. However, I feel that Johnson will be another Mario Williams and thats not the type of DE I would like on the Texans. I want a guy who can play the weakside DE spot because I'm assuming Williams will be playing across from the TE.

A.) Brian Orakpo

B.) Everette Brown

C.) Larry English

D.) Matt Shaughnessy

E.) Brandon Graham

F.) Tim Jamison
You are probably the only person who wouldn't want another Mario on their DL

I'm sure the other 31 teams dont feel this way.

If a team knew Johnson would be another MW, he would most likely be the no.1 pick in the entire draft.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #6
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

What McClain said about Frank Bush's philosophy tells us nothin.

The same words were used to describe Richard Smith.
Old 01-13-2009   #7
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 154446 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
What McClain said about Frank Bush's philosophy tells us nothin.

The same words were used to describe Richard Smith.
Way to go , spoil the party .
Old 01-13-2009   #8
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
Way to go , spoil the party .
Hey man, I'm not the one doing the chicken dance. If you a chicken dancing, it aint a party.
Old 01-13-2009   #9
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hey man, I'm not the one doing the chicken dance. If you a chicken dancing, it aint a party.
Tc dances to her own beat

geeze season isn't over and I want the draft to be here already
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #10
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94174 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Round1 Possibilities.

Michael Johnson, Georgia Tech

Height: 6-7. Weight: 257.

Everette Brown, Florida State
Height: 6-4. Weight: 250.
Anywhere you read it talks about Johnson being lazy and taking a lot of plays off. No way do I want that guy.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

A.) Brian Orakpo

B.) Everette Brown

C.) Larry English

D.) Matt Shaughnessy

E.) Brandon Graham

F.) Tim Jamison
How about this?

Trade down and get Raji DT in first. With our 2nd we select SHonn Green power back to get us in red zone. 2nd round from trade down Brandon Graham DE /ILB 6'3" 270 4.72 3rd Rashad Johnson FS or Sherrod Martin FS both true FS with sub 4.50 4th Robert Ayers DE Tennessee 6'3" 270 4.73 all SEC 1st team with 3 sacks 15 TFL. 5th round Ian Johnson a Slaton clone.

IMO this takes care of most of our issues.
Old 01-13-2009   #12
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 154446 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
IDK ... I've chicken danced to an oompa band before and I'm here to tell ya it was quite the party .
Old 01-13-2009   #13
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

If Bush's scheme is going to involve alot of blitzing I know Everette Brown fits that very well. He was on a team in Florida State that blitzed very often, and led the nation in tackles for loss. He could also be an asset on zone blitzes as I have seen him drop back on a zone blitz before and break up a pass, and he certainly has the athletic ability to do it.

Other guys that I know are good at blitzing are Rey Maualuga and Clint Stinim. Even though Rey was a MLB in college, I could see him moving to the SAM position, but that obviously depends on what his speed is. He looks plenty fast to me, but I here that he may not be. Stinim is probably a 3-4 OLB, but I could also see him at the SAM position in a 4-3. Stinim is a very good blitzer and tackler in general.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #14
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If we can get another Mario Williams I am up for it, big time. The thing is guys like Mario don't grow on trees. Mario was 280 or close to 280 coming out of college, and had an excellent S&C coach at NC State. Remember 4 guys off that D-line went in the first round that year, and I think alot of it had to do with that S&C coach. He is now at FSU, and is credited with making Everette Brown much stronger going into this last season. I also think that had alot to do with Brown's year.

The thing about Michael Johnson is that he is only 260, or so. While he may have the height of a Mario Williams he does not have the bulk. I see this as kind of a big issue because, from what I understand, GTech has a pretty damn good S&C program. Every year I can remember hearing how this Michael Johnson guy was going to blow up and get to Mario size, but he never really put on much bulk. You look at the guy and he is 6-7 with a nice frame, so there is room there to get bigger.

You add that to the fact that alot of people don't think he works that hard, so work ethic may be a concern. Like nunusguy says, I wouldn't touch the guy with a 10 foot poll.

EDIT: Or perhaps it was threetoadpete who was saying that. I'm sorry if I quoted you and was wrong.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 01-13-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-13-2009   #15
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
How about this?

Trade down and get Raji DT in first. With our 2nd we select SHonn Green power back to get us in red zone. 2nd round from trade down Brandon Graham DE /ILB 6'3" 270 4.72 3rd Rashad Johnson FS or Sherrod Martin FS both true FS with sub 4.50 4th Robert Ayers DE Tennessee 6'3" 270 4.73 all SEC 1st team with 3 sacks 15 TFL. 5th round Ian Johnson a Slaton clone.

I doubt Raji will be available at 15 much less after a trade down. Ian Johnson will be lucky to get drafted. Just doesnt have the physical abilities to be a pro RB.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #16
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
How about this?

Brandon Graham is going back to Michigan for his senior year.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #17
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

My thoughts:

Quote:

A.) Brian Orakpo - YES (1st round)

B.) Everette Brown - YES (1st round)

C.) Larry English - YES (2nd round)

D.) Matt Shaughnessy - YES (2nd round)

E.) Brandon Graham - YES (but alas, he is going back for his senior year)

F.) Tim Jamison - NO (he is a good player, but I see him as a strong DE, not weak side)
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #18
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 115170 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Anywhere you read it talks about Johnson being lazy and taking a lot of plays off. No way do I want that guy.
Same thing was said about Mario and look at where he was drafted and where he's at now.

Never fully trust what you read, especially online.

Imjustsaying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #19
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Same thing was said about Mario and look at where he was drafted and where he's at now.

Never fully trust what you read, especially online.

Imjustsaying...
When I saw Mario in college, it wasn't that he took plays off, it was that he would be so dominant one play and the next he wasn't. Or he would dominate one game, and the next he wouldn't dominate. I think it was more of an issue with consistency, and he had problems with that here in Houston the first year. I do, however, remember someone posting draftnicks' take on Mario and one take was that he took plays off.

I get what your saying though.
Old 01-13-2009   #20
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ok, here's the thing with Michael Johnson, I know some ppl have mentioned this but i'll post my thoughts on this.

A.) At 260-lbs with a 6'7" frame, he reminds me of a small foward rather then a DE. If he has a good 40-yard time then i'll grab him but if not then his lack of bulk concerns me. Do understand that not everyone has the speed of Dwight Freeny and Johnson will have to block linemen/s that are 50-lbs or more then him.

B.) His stats don't prove much (I know, I know stats aren't everything but they do show whose productive and who isn't) senior year he only had 21 tackles, 4.0 sacks, and 6 TFLs which aren't good stats @ the college level.

C.) His ability to produce on every play and his motor concern me. I remember last year when most experts said he might go in the third round but thats the highest they had him rated because he only started one game. I have seen times during games when he sortof gives up and just doesn't give it his all.

So...

If I grab a DE and pay him big bucks I'm looking for bulk, speed, athletiism, and stats.

I would like to get Aaron Maybin but I want to see him bulk up like Brian Orakpo but maintain his speed. Also, I don't think he's worth it @ 15th overall. With Taylor Mays going back for his senior year, it's either Orakpo, Everetta Brown, or IDK...someone who can spark our D and blitx like crazy!
A) Freakish athlete. Does need to add weight to be an everydown DE in the pros. I'm not terribly worried about his 40-time, with a DE I'm more concerned with his burst... ability explode when the ball is snapped.

B) Not sure where you're getting your stats. Everyone has been so down on Michael Johnson this year, it's spread like wildfire across the net. He actually had a really good year. Some websites vary but he's more in the 17.5 TFL and 9.0 sacks for the 2008 season.

C) I remember last year he was pegged to be a Top 5 lock in this years draft. He's been beat down to death all season. His motor is in question and people keep talking about how he takes plays off. This concerns me as well, but we need to remember that a negative about MARIO WILLIAMS coming out was that he took plays off and was inconsistent.

I think everyone is in agreement that Michael Johnson is going to be selected due to his potential, major upside. He's a risky pick and very well could be a bust. I just think that if this current staff had Amobi Okoye rated as their #1 defensive player in the draft back in '07... I just have a sneaking suspicion that they might like Johnson some- we could see some very angry Texans fans come April if he's selected.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read