Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2009   #161
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94100 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Frank Bush named New Texans DC

Well, he's already said everything that i wanted to hear...he's gonna be more aggressive & get these guys "flying around making plays" which is the biggest change i wanted to see from our new D-coordinator- whomever that was gonna be. I think it's a plus that he's either played or coached under Buddy Ryan & Jerry Glanville & if either of those guys' philosophy has rubbed off on him, i think i can take him at his word about being more aggressive on defense.

he's gonna get a couple more toys to play with in the draft & with a little luck FA, so i'm expecting us to look completely different on defense next year...for the better.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009   #162
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 127050 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

The King is dead, long live the King!

We wanted change. Change is here.

Something changed the second half of the season. I believe it was Bush taking over and we were not informed.

If the defense can play an entire season like they did the second half of this season, we will be on the right track.

Have a system, find the players that fit the system. Be aggressive.
Old 01-14-2009   #163
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
I am pretty sure it was not for the full title of Defensive Coordinator
I'm pretty sure it was for the DC spot since when they were denied permission to talk to Frank Bush they went out and hired Smith as the DC.
Old 01-14-2009   #164
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I'm pretty sure it was for the DC spot since when they were denied permission to talk to Frank Bush they went out and hired Smith as the DC.
Like I had said, my initial reponse was within the context of the 2009 hiring process. But if you want to continue this debate I submit this

Quote:
The original plan when Kubiak was hired was to bring in Smith and Arizona Cardinals linebackers coach Frank Bush as co-defensive coordinators. But because Bush is under contract, the Cardinals denied permission for Houston officials to meet with him. Bush this week was promoted to assistant head coach.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2316802

Quote:
The Arizona Cardinals denied permission Thursday for the Texans to interview linebackers coach Frank Bush to become the team's co-defensive coordinator.
http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/ar...d=2006_4050833
Old 01-14-2009   #165
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81973 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope Kubes got it right.

One thing that's for sure Bush & D. Gibbs will work cheap.

This seems to be the common theme among Kubes asst. coach hires.

I'm certain this is a directive that comes from Mr.McNair.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009   #166
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
quoted deleted insults

SIGH! I kinda sorta agree with SecondH! I was really hoping to get a DC way outside from this organization, who is proven! I'm not all that thrilled with Bush & if next year our D is ranked in the mid to low 20s.....again, I would really be upset. I hope Kaptain Kubes is right & his ship won't sink with this hiring!

Last edited by infantrycak; 01-14-2009 at 11:10 AM.
phantom17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009   #167
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Like I had said, my initial reponse was within the context of the 2009 hiring process. But if you want to continue this debate I submit this

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2316802

And this the part where I say google : Frank Bush "Kubiak's first choice" and the point to Alan Burge's write up from yesterday or the chron entries a little lower on the first page. I would do all of this for you but I'm on a phone so I can't copy and paste articles as of this moment.

But yes, I'll say that the initial poster is right in saying that Bush was in fact Kubiak's first choice as a DC.
Sponsored links
Old 01-14-2009   #168
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Probably advising Kubiak on the ways he would improve the mess of a defense that Richard Smith was sending out on the field every week. Well, until about week 11 when he starting participating in the game planning (just a guess).
We'll never know, for sure, if Bush was calling the plays--All we have on record, for sure, is that Bush and Kubiak limited RS to things he could and couldn't do. That would be tough for a guy like Richard Smith to be around the players at practice, to be holding the clipboard at games, and basically be a Texans version of Milli Vanilli. How do you let a guy retain his dignity when he's told what he can or can't do? That's a statement all by itself. It seems RS was still calling the game, but with boundaries to what he could/couldn't do. Weird.

I mean, I would be a guy who would just say, "You know what? I can go now. If it's so bad that someone else is calling the plays and I'm a puppet, then I need to be on my way. No hard feelings. I knew what I signed on for."

Of course....it might be different if i was approached and told that I would be forfeiting salary if I left, that they wanted to pay me out and that I needed to finish out my term (for the sake of outward appearances and such).

Still, that was NOT RS's defense at around week 11. Then you have that pesky Oakland game where it definitely looked Smithish. LOL. Who knows...

I just know that I'm glad we have a new direction. I hope Richard Smith all the best, though. Can't be an easy job to coach in the NFL.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009   #169
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 109743 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grams View Post
Congratulations to Frank Bush. I wish him every success here.

I will not pass judgement till I see a few regular season games and see how the defense actually plays with him as the DC. Until we actually see them play we have no idea how good or bad Bush will be as DC.

We were probably going to have a positional coach as DC anyways as I do not see a DC coming to Houston for the same job he already had on another team. Think most good DC's are interviewing for HC postions and not a lateral move.

I am excited as now we actually have an opportunity to be a much better defense now that Smith is gone. But we have to just wait till next season to find out how good they will be.
Right on, Grams! QFT!

I reckon there's a lot of pulled muscles around here from all the knee-jerkin going on. LOL!

Here's to hoping the "aggressive" and "attacking" translates to the field this season rather than just on a piece of paper in SmithEX-DC's office. Cheers!
Old 01-14-2009   #170
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I can understand fans saying they are ok with the Bush promotion. Most saw the writing on the wall when nothing was happening to fill the position. But being excited and/or giddy is what I don't get. We didn't interview anyone else for the job.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009   #171
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2410 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Unfortunately, the media has not ripped this pick yet so it's not quite the Mario situation yet. Let's hope Richard Justice starts ripping this pick. He ripped on Alex Gibbs and look at what happened.
dtran04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009   #172
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
quoted deleted insults.
Such a glass half empty view! Look, it's not about being a homer. It's about giving the guy at least a chance. You, me, nobody here knows if it was the right choice. I'm at least willing to wait and see how he works out.

And you're wrong about the "every DC had to start somewhere argument" being lame. Where was Jim Schwartz coaching before he became DC of the Titans? What about Leslie Frazier? Or Spagnuolo? Frank Bush at least deserves a chance. And the decision was not about the Texans being cheap. They went after Marinelli as a DL coach. He has more of a personal relationship with Lovie Smith, so he chose the Bears. No biggie! The Texans went after Jerry Gray, but were refused the opportunity to talk to him by the Redskins. I didn't want Gregg Williams. Look at what a DC with experience did for the Jaguars defense last season.

Look, you don't have to be happy with the move. That's you opinion and your right. But the guy has 26 years of NFL experience. He's coached every position on the defensive side of the ball. He's saying all the right things right now about what his philosophy will be. Will it work out for the Texans defense? Nobody knows yet. But you can't sit back and call the rest of us homers just because we don't take the negative view of this hiring like you do. Most of us are just willing to give the guy a chance. You should too!

Texan JBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009   #173
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
quoted deleted insults
We did'nt even interview a guy more qualified. Its almost like we did'nt want to because he may be better than what we were hiring. I'm just not very excited to have an assistant from a bottom 3rd ranked defense. Does'nt make me jump for freakin joy.

BigBull17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009   #174
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
We did'nt even interview a guy more qualified. Its almost like we did'nt want to because he may be better than wh we were hiring. I'm just not very excited to have an assistant from a bottom 3rd ranked defense does'nt make me jump for freakin joy.
In my opinion, it's just like Carl Dukes stated yesterday on his show: "Senior Defensive Assistant was just another name for Defensive Coordinator in waiting." I think that it was between Gray and Bush all along. When the Texans were denied permission to speak with Gray, the most logical pick after that was Bush. Plan and simple.
Old 01-14-2009   #175
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post
Most of us are just willing to give the guy a chance. You should too!
Second Honeymoon doesn't give out chances. Second Honeymoon gives out sick burns on the Texans franchise cause they ain't no homer!
Old 01-14-2009   #176
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post
In my opinion, it's just like Carl Dukes stated yesterday on his show: "Senior Defensive Assistant was just another name for Defensive Coordinator in waiting." I think that it was between Gray and Bush all along. When the Texans were denied permission to speak with Gray, the most logical pick after that was Bush. Plan and simple.
I just don't like such a narrow pool to choose from. There was;nt a rush, take your time and do some homework. The defense was just so bad most of the 2 years Bush was on staff that this situation does'nt sit well with me.
Old 01-14-2009   #177
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I'm trying to stay optimistic but I'm getting a really weird feeling about this. I watched some of the interview clip on the main site and was less than impressed. We've been told a couple of times now that the Texans asked to interview Gray but were refused and that Marinelli interviewed for the DL position but Bush was in that interview talking like he'd been picked after a lengthy search and several interviews. Seriously, he said that they interviewed "some guys". Excuse me? You mean like Marinelli and "you" are basically "some guys"?

I think it's pretty clear he was the choice all the way and that Marinelli was being pursued to try and be Frank Bush's "elder mentor" ala Alex Gibbs to Kyle Shanahan. Marinelli was going to kind of hold the bike up while Frank got used to riding it without training wheels.

Clearly babysitting our new DC didn't appeal to Marinelli.

Here's the deal. Bush is the guy and he's telling us exactly what we heard from Richard Smith three years ago. It's almost word for word. To make matters worse he's been here for two of Smith's terrible seasons so he's got the stink of Richard Smith on or about his person. Topping it all off he's got an eerily similar resume to Smith with no participation in a truly excellent unit in there but lots of jobs working for lousy to mediocre defenses.

It doesn't look good to me. I'm going to shut up about it for a while because there's nothing we can do about it and there's no point in griping for 6-7 months. I'm going to think positive and hope for the best but man, Bush is going to have zero room for error. We've all already got our complaints memorized because we used them all on his predecessor. He'd better not roll out a lousy defense next year or he'll be torn to pieces by the fans. We're getting better every year but the patience here is long gone. Results are all any of us really care about at this point.
This pretty much sums up how I feel. I still can't understand why it took 2 weeks and 0 interviews for dc to make this decision.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009   #178
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329528 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
This pretty much sums up how I feel. I still can't understand why it took 2 weeks and 0 interviews for dc to make this decision.
Thing is we don't have any idea how much homework and reaching out they did. They may have called Williams and he rebuffed them thinking he is going back to TN. They attempted to talk to Gray and were refused. Marinelli picked the Bears. Who knows, maybe they even talked to McDermott and he doesn't want to leave Philly except for a head coaching gig. Sounds like they initially considered looking at the 3-4 guys and decided they did not want to switch schemes so that eliminated quite a few guys. If they really weren't going to consider anyone else I think they would have just announced Bush from the start.
Old 01-14-2009   #179
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Thing is we don't have any idea how much homework and reaching out they did. They may have called Williams and he rebuffed them thinking he is going back to TN. They attempted to talk to Gray and were refused. Marinelli picked the Bears. Who knows, maybe they even talked to McDermott and he doesn't want to leave Philly except for a head coaching gig. Sounds like they initially considered looking at the 3-4 guys and decided they did not want to switch schemes so that eliminated quite a few guys. If they really weren't going to consider anyone else I think they would have just announced Bush from the start.
excellent recap cak of "rest of story"

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009   #180
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
quoted deleted insults
Why do you hate so much? So of these coaches out there with experience who would you hire that run a 4-3 and not a 3-4, because Kubiak has stated he wants to continue that route. Ii memory serves you wanted Sean McDermott, who has no DC experience. As far as being happy, unless it is the guy you wanted you would never be happy.

Why is it if someone agrees with what has been done or does not share your opinion they are a homer? I am really interested in your answer for that. You throw that out so much, like it is an insult. I mean I thought that is what a fan of the Houston Texans living in Houston is, a homer, cause he likes the home team.

Last edited by infantrycak; 01-14-2009 at 11:57 AM.
Specnatz is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read