Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2009   #141
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Frank Bush named New Texans DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I'm trying to stay optimistic but I'm getting a really weird feeling about this. I watched some of the interview clip on the main site and was less than impressed. We've been told a couple of times now that the Texans asked to interview Gray but were refused and that Marinelli interviewed for the DL position but Bush was in that interview talking like he'd been picked after a lengthy search and several interviews. Seriously, he said that they interviewed "some guys". Excuse me? You mean like Marinelli and "you" are basically "some guys"?

I think it's pretty clear he was the choice all the way and that Marinelli was being pursued to try and be Frank Bush's "elder mentor" ala Alex Gibbs to Kyle Shanahan. Marinelli was going to kind of hold the bike up while Frank got used to riding it without training wheels.

Clearly babysitting our new DC didn't appeal to Marinelli.

Here's the deal. Bush is the guy and he's telling us exactly what we heard from Richard Smith three years ago. It's almost word for word. To make matters worse he's been here for two of Smith's terrible seasons so he's got the stink of Richard Smith on or about his person. Topping it all off he's got an eerily similar resume to Smith with no participation in a truly excellent unit in there but lots of jobs working for lousy to mediocre defenses.

It doesn't look good to me. I'm going to shut up about it for a while because there's nothing we can do about it and there's no point in griping for 6-7 months. I'm going to think positive and hope for the best but man, Bush is going to have zero room for error. We've all already got our complaints memorized because we used them all on his predecessor. He'd better not roll out a lousy defense next year or he'll be torn to pieces by the fans. We're getting better every year but the patience here is long gone. Results are all any of us really care about at this point.
I agree Herv, proof will be in the pudding ... and maybe you need to see if KT's quote that you have in your sig can be sent to the Texan's and have them put that over the locker room door
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #142
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I'm trying to stay optimistic but I'm getting a really weird feeling about this. I watched some of the interview clip on the main site and was less than impressed. We've been told a couple of times now that the Texans asked to interview Gray but were refused and that Marinelli interviewed for the DL position but Bush was in that interview talking like he'd been picked after a lengthy search and several interviews. Seriously, he said that they interviewed "some guys". Excuse me? You mean like Marinelli and "you" are basically "some guys"?

I think it's pretty clear he was the choice all the way and that Marinelli was being pursued to try and be Frank Bush's "elder mentor" ala Alex Gibbs to Kyle Shanahan. Marinelli was going to kind of hold the bike up while Frank got used to riding it without training wheels.

Clearly babysitting our new DC didn't appeal to Marinelli.

Here's the deal. Bush is the guy and he's telling us exactly what we heard from Richard Smith three years ago. It's almost word for word. To make matters worse he's been here for two of Smith's terrible seasons so he's got the stink of Richard Smith on or about his person. Topping it all off he's got an eerily similar resume to Smith with no participation in a truly excellent unit in there but lots of jobs working for lousy to mediocre defenses.

It doesn't look good to me. I'm going to shut up about it for a while because there's nothing we can do about it and there's no point in griping for 6-7 months. I'm going to think positive and hope for the best but man, Bush is going to have zero room for error. We've all already got our complaints memorized because we used them all on his predecessor. He'd better not roll out a lousy defense next year or he'll be torn to pieces by the fans. We're getting better every year but the patience here is long gone. Results are all any of us really care about at this point.

I certainly understand your trepidation. I have some of it too although I general feel optimistic about it- he can't do worse!

However, one thing to note. Not only did Bush not talk about all the holes that needed to be filled, he actually went out of his way to compliment all the talent on the defense. It was clear during the presser that he was trying to criticize Richard Smith without calling him out. However, the one compliment he did give him was the quality of talent that he brought in to the defense. I point this out only to illustrate that these aren't the words of a guy preparing the audience for mediocrity. I think he plans on the defense being good... quick. Perhaps he's naive but I prefer that to a bunch of political double talk.

Also, when asked about his influences, Buddy Ryan was at the top of the list. He repeatedly used words like agressive but also "violent". He said the players will be violent as a means of creating turnovers. Regardless of his scheming abilities, I think we can count on an attitude change on defense and it will be one that as fans we will appreciate and enjoy.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #143
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
Wow!! I didn't know you personally interviewed all the potential candidates to determine who the most qualified is. And you don't have an NFL job because why?

I'm ok with Bush because it's Kubiak's neck on the line. I'm ok with Bush not having DC experience because every DC that's ever been has called their first play at one time.

I sure as hell am not going to sit here at my computer in mid-January and act like I know who the better man for the job is or make statements that Bush is a horrible choice, BUT qualify it with the classic "I hope I'm proven wrong" tag. What the hell is that?

Kubiak isn't in the business to lose games. He's going to make choices that help him win, thus keeping him in the business. I'm glad there's been a change, which I think should have been made during the season, but oh well, and I don't care who they hire as long as the results on the field are positive.

It can't get much worse than what we had.

So instead of pretending that I know better than everyone and bashing this guy before a single snap has been taken, but making sure I get my "I'll gladly eat crow" qualifier in there to I don't know, make me feel better when/if I'm wrong?, I'll wait to see what happens on the football field.
Rep. I was going to give my take, but you expressed it better.

Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #144
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9693 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

So what exactly was Frank Bush doing here before being promoted to defensive coordinator? Getting paid to sit on his thumb?
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009   #145
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Rep Power: 9088 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly...I'm pretty underwhelmed by the hire as of now. Looks like it was Bush all along and they took a few stabs at hiring someone outside.

I am going to hope for the best at this point and go into wait and see mode. The other positional coaches will be interesting hires.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009   #146
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Honestly...I'm pretty underwhelmed by the hire as of now. Looks like it was Bush all along and they took a few stabs at hiring someone outside.

I am going to hope for the best at this point and go into wait and see mode. The other positional coaches will be interesting hires.

1. secondary coach will surely be Gibbs.
2. DL??? who knows

and that will be it I think.
Old 01-14-2009   #147
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS View Post
So what exactly was Frank Bush doing here before being promoted to defensive coordinator? Getting paid to sit on his thumb?
Probably advising Kubiak on the ways he would improve the mess of a defense that Richard Smith was sending out on the field every week. Well, until about week 11 when he starting participating in the game planning (just a guess).
Sponsored links
Old 01-14-2009   #148
sbalderrama

You arn't going to hire a currently successful defensive coordinator under contract away from another team. That most likely means you either are going to be promoting someone new to the position, or you will be bringing back someone as a DC who is somehow damaged goods... ie, probably been fired before from a DC or HC position because of bad performance. I suspect the track record of success is probably not that much different, but it would be interesting to research.

In any case, Frank Bush has obviously been around a long time and has apparently coached every position in the defense as well as special teams. Sounds like the kind of guy that deserves a shot.
Old 01-14-2009   #149
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

New story by John McClain on chron.com/sports :

Arizona defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast was working on his game plan for Sunday’s NFC Championship Game against Philadelphia when he found out Frank Bush had been named the Texans’ defensive coordinator.

Jacksonville defensive coordinator Gregg Williams was at home with his family in Virginia when he learned Bush had been promoted from senior defensive assistant.

Bush was linebackers coach and assistant head coach during his three seasons (2004-06) with the Cardinals. He worked closely with Pendergast, who has been their defensive coordinator the last five years.

“I think it’s a great hire, and I’m so happy for Frank,” said Pendergast, who has done an outstanding job with a Cardinals defense that has helped them come within one step of the Super Bowl for the first time. “I’m so happy he’s finally getting this well-deserved opportunity.

“I think Frank will be an excellent coordinator. He’s very organized. He has a great feel for the game. He knows what buttons to push to motivate his players.”

In developing a philosophy that has been influenced by a lot of great defensive coaches, Bush said one of the many things he learned from Pendergast was how to think outside the box.

In other words, don’t be afraid to experiment and take chances.

Playing safe can be dangerous.

Not afraid of new things
“When Frank was here, we weren’t afraid to try different things — different schemes and personnel groupings,” Pendergast said. “We didn’t want to play it safe.

“Frank helped me a lot. He’s creative. He’s got good ideas, and he knows how to implement them in a way the players understand.”

When Williams followed coach Jack Pardee from the University of Houston to the Oilers in 1990, Bush already had been a player and scout with the Oilers for five years. When Bush left the personnel department to coach linebackers, he worked with Williams under defensive coordinators Jim Eddy, Buddy Ryan and Jeff Fisher.

“Frank and I go way back,” said Williams, who has interviewed for defensive coordinator jobs with New Orleans and Green Bay since the season ended. “I watched him go from scouting to coaching, and I’ve seen him rise through the ranks.

“I’m fired up for him. I know he’s going to do a great job with that defense.”

Williams has been a defensive coordinator with the Titans, Redskins and Jaguars and a head coach with the Bills.

With Jacksonville last season, he saw the Texans twice and watched a lot of tape to prepare for them.

“They’ve got a good thing going there, and I think it was a good move for them to promote him,” Williams said. “Frank knows the players, and they know him. He knows their strengths and weaknesses.

“A new coach coming in would have to learn everything that Frank already knows. That’s definitely an advantage for them.”

Pressure in his blood
Williams is known as one of the most aggressive defensive coaches in the league.

Everything he does is built around pressuring the quarterback.

“I’m excited about the style Frank’s going to play because we both come from a pressure background,” Williams said. “Frank played that way as an outside linebacker (under Jerry Glanville). Then he coached that way as an assistant with the Oilers.”

After spending 10 years with the Oilers, Denver coach Mike Shanahan hired Bush to coach linebackers.

In his nine years with the Broncos, Bush won two Super Bowl rings.

“Frank understands every defensive position as well as special teams,” Williams said. “He’s played and coached in a variety of styles. He’s learned from a lot of outstanding defensive coaches.

“Now it’s Frank’s baby, and he’s going to do great. Let me tell you something: There are a lot of coaches around the NFL that are real happy that he’s getting this opportunity.”

john.mcclain@chron.com
Old 01-14-2009   #150
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Bush is an upgrade because he relates better with people. the Texans remain on course, more focused & accountable. I never really understood how Smith related to his players? did he send & receive messages, give motivational speeches, hammer out game plans on the practice field or film room? seemed aloof, distant, well intentioned but frustrated. I wish him the best.

from the above McClain article Clancy Pendergast said, "“I think Frank will be an excellent coordinator. He’s very organized. He has a great feel for the game. He knows what buttons to push to motivate his players.”

while Gregg Williams added, “They’ve got a good thing going there, and I think it was a good move for them to promote him,” Williams said. “Frank knows the players, and they know him. He knows their strengths and weaknesses. A new coach coming in would have to learn everything that Frank already knows. That’s definitely an advantage for them.”

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009   #151
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
face it, dude. the texans brass could crap in your hand and you would take it as a gesture of kindness and respect. the next time you are critical of the Texans will probably be the first time.

this was a cheapskate move, through and through. bush was not the best and most qualified man for the job. that is for sure. because of that fact, i don't like the move. it's really that simple. i hope he has great success and proves me wrong but it may be wishful thinking based on his experience as a playcaller much less also a DC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
I sure as hell am not going to sit here at my computer in mid-January and act like I know who the better man for the job is or make statements that Bush is a horrible choice, BUT qualify it with the classic "I hope I'm proven wrong" tag. What the hell is that?

Kubiak isn't in the business to lose games. He's going to make choices that help him win, thus keeping him in the business. I'm glad there's been a change, which I think should have been made during the season, but oh well, and I don't care who they hire as long as the results on the field are positive.

It can't get much worse than what we had.
Speedy that is what SH does. You will only see him here when the team loses or he has an axe to grind. He never talks about the positives on the negatives.

This hiring was not my first choice or even my second. As many have said, including you, it does put everything on Kubiak.
Old 01-14-2009   #152
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28579 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Most successful D-Coordinators, who coach the "attacking" style of
defense coach from THE SIDELINE. Those defenses are successful, because
the players are trying to KNOCK THE HEAD OFF the other team. Jim Johnson
(till he got ill), Jim Schwartz, Steve Spagnuolo, etc ALL coach from the
SIDELINE to MOTIVATE THEIR PLAYERS.

Where did we see Richard Smith? Looking like he had a stomach ache
from the booth. The players CLEARLY had NO RESPECT for him at all.
Just ask Demeco and Dunta about Frank Bush. THEIR answer will tell
you a lot about where this defense is headed. One thing Bush said in
his presser which needed to be address was "We will definitely communicate
better. Everybody will know what everybody else is doing." "We are going to
create turnovers by being VIOLENT." "We are going to ATTACK the other team."
"We will SIMPLIFY the schemes to get FASTER, then the BIG HITS will come
and create TURNOVERS that way." The defense was playing a lot like three
separate corps instead of a single unit.

Another thing he said about the D-Line was "We will be playing more upfield.
We won't be going sideways. (No more Mario dropping back into coverage
on 3rd downs?) A lot of people say, "Well, Bush was Senior Defensive Asst.
He bears a lot of the blame for our vanilla D." That's BULL CORN!! Smith
was the boss of the defense, and it was HIS show. The players and Bush
were on a different page than Smith, and I'm excited to see someone with
his vast SUCCESS in his career (unlike Smith) get a shot to prove his
mettle.

Last edited by DexmanC; 01-14-2009 at 07:25 AM.
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009   #153
Texan_Lee
Lost for now...

Rep Power: 17 Texan_Lee could be on the next Madden coverTexan_Lee could be on the next Madden coverTexan_Lee could be on the next Madden coverTexan_Lee could be on the next Madden coverTexan_Lee could be on the next Madden coverTexan_Lee could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to Texan_Lee Send a message via MSN to Texan_Lee

This is an interesting pick... I'm not disappointed or upset about it, but at the same time I am not excited about it either... I'm trying to figure out what that means...
Go Texans!!! Go Bull Pen!!!
Section 116 - Row D
Texan_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009   #154
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 18579 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Congratulations to Frank Bush. I wish him every success here.

I will not pass judgement till I see a few regular season games and see how the defense actually plays with him as the DC. Until we actually see them play we have no idea how good or bad Bush will be as DC.

We were probably going to have a positional coach as DC anyways as I do not see a DC coming to Houston for the same job he already had on another team. Think most good DC's are interviewing for HC postions and not a lateral move.

I am excited as now we actually have an opportunity to be a much better defense now that Smith is gone. But we have to just wait till next season to find out how good they will be.
Old 01-14-2009   #155
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28579 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

There are two thing about this that make me GIDDY about this selection.

#1. This was the choice Kubiak wanted to make ALL ALONG.

#2. EVERYBODY is bitching about #1.

EVERYTIME we've had this 1-2 punch, it has been HIGHLY successful.
Example?? Ray Rhodes. Alex Gibbs. Kyle Shanahan. Mario Williams.

Besides, Bush was just on 610, and one of the things he mentioned was
having Demeco play more downhill to make plays disrupting the backfield.
The guy knows like backers (He was a high draft pick at the position
HIMSELF.) Bush will be fine. Former players as coaches tend to command
players' respect better than non players (Richard Smith, Dom Capers.)
So, I've learned NOT to question Kubiak when he BELIEVES in the guys
he picks. I hope you like K.C. Masterpiece on your crow.
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009   #156
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
Most successful D-Coordinators, who coach the "attacking" style of
defense coach from THE SIDELINE.
Quote:

You do realize that Bush said yesterday he was going to coach from the booth? (Not sure which, but it was either on an interview with Pallilo, or with Rich Lord & Matt Jackson).
Old 01-14-2009   #157
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

EVERYTIME we've had this 1-2 punch, it has been HIGHLY successful.
Example?? Ray Rhodes. Alex Gibbs. Kyle Shanahan. Mario Williams.

Besides, Bush was just on 610, and one of the things he mentioned was
having Demeco play more downhill to make plays disrupting the backfield.
The guy knows like backers (He was a high draft pick at the position
HIMSELF.) Bush will be fine. Former players as coaches tend to command
players' respect better than non players (Richard Smith, Dom Capers.)
So, I've learned NOT to question Kubiak when he BELIEVES in the guys
he picks. I hope you like K.C. Masterpiece on your crow.
#1 is incorrect. #2 is incorrect by default and a bloviation.
Old 01-14-2009   #158
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
#1 is incorrect. #2 is incorrect by default and a bloviation.
No, I'm pretty sure Kubiak wanted Bush since he tried to get him away from Arizona 3 years ago.
Old 01-14-2009   #159
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Is it possible that Bush was already calling the defensive plays and taking a more hands-on role overall before Smith was canned? Is it possible he was already the DC for the second half of the season, with Smith having been reined in?
Thats one of the things I thought during the last 7 games. A change of mentality mid year is wierd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Who?
I dont have a list off the top pf my head, but to just ask for permission to talk to one guy and then promote an assistant from a bottom third ranked defense without interviewing a single person is lame. Then hire Gibbs son because its Gibbs son is another step in a slippery direction.
Old 01-14-2009   #160
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
No, I'm pretty sure Kubiak wanted Bush since he tried to get him away from Arizona 3 years ago.
I am pretty sure it was not for the full title of Defensive Coordinator IF the member's statement was within the context of Kubiak looking for a DC in 2006. If it was within the context of the hiring process of 2009 then it is incorrect as well.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read