Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2009   #101
Lucky

Rep Power: 213963 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Frank Bush named New Texans DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Maybe Coach Whisenhunt knows something GK refuses to acknowledge.
Bush never coached under Whisenhunt. So Whisenhunt can't know more about Bush than Kubiak, who has worked with Bush for 2 years in Houston and 9 seasons in Denver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan JBZ View Post
I'm willing to give Bush a chance to see what he can do. Kubes has had a good history with his hirings. Well..that is besides Smith.
Considering that Kubiak was running the offense and calling the plays, defensive coordinator was the hire he had to get right. But as you said, we have to give Bush a chance to see if he can turn the defense around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Also telling was a story in November about Eugene Wilson. Members of our secondary were astonished that he positioned his body in ways in order to decieve the QB and the offense. Wow! That pretty much says it all about Richard Smith's abilities as a DC. I gotta believe deception might begin to be taught and game planned now. REVOLUTIONARY!!
Why couldn't Jon Hoke have taught this positioning? Or Ray Rhodes? Or Bush? Or Kubiak? Why does the fault fall 100% on Smith?

Not trying to defend Smith. Just asking why no one else on the staff gets any blame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
He should've been named when hired, Smith never did anything to keep his job. He should've been promoted after the 0-4 start. He should've been promoted when the defense proved beyond a shadow of a shadow of a doubt that it was inept under Smith midseason.
I agree. If Kubiak was confident in Bush's capabilities, at that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
To me, this is like firing offensive coordinator, and replacing him with Joe Pendry.
Ouch! That's quite a name to live down to.
Old 01-13-2009   #102
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 160 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Im alright with this, Im pretty optomistic actually. At least, I dont see how it could get worse....

I think our D line coach might be just as important of a descision...

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #103
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Why couldn't Jon Hoke have taught this positioning? Or Ray Rhodes? Or Bush? Or Kubiak? Why does the fault fall 100% on Smith?
I would think the D-coordinator overrides position coaches when talking about positioning. I always thought that the position coaches taught things like how to play the game, how to play the position, and how to react to plays, and I always thought that the D-coordinator taught the positioning he wanted on defense. If each position coach taught positioning in their own way, wouldn't you have a bunch of guys that weren't exactly on the same page?
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #104
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10688 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I wish they would not have done this but lets hope he is better than Smith.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #105
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd love nothing more than to be excited by this hire, but after letting the news sink in for a bit, I'm left feeling underwhelmed, uninspired, and unimpressed. I feel as if Kubiak didn't perform his due dilligence with this hire, and that it may ultimately cost him his job. I'm not entirely positive of what the role of "Senior Defensive Assistant" entails, but there were no results seen on the field. In 2006 under Smith, we finished 25th in scoring defense. We then hired Bush and our defenses finished 22nd and 27th the following two seasons. In fact, it has been years since Bush was on a staff that produced a good defense. Here are the results of the defenses that have had Bush on their staff this millenium:

2000 Broncos – 23rd
2001 Broncos – 21st
2002 Broncos – 15th
2003 Broncos – 9th
2004 Cardinals – 12th
2005 Cardinals – 26th
2006 Cardinals – 29th
2007 Texans – 22nd
2008 Texans - 27th

It's great that Bush is talking about being aggressive and not playing read and react, but that's the same stuff we've been hearing for years. Capers and Casserly dropped Sharper and Glenn for Greenwood and Buchanon so that the defense would have more speed and be able to be more aggressive. That didn't work. In came Smith who likely would have said the same thing but he hardly ever talked to the press.

Long story short, Bush can claim to want to be aggressive all he wants, but if he doesn't produce results on the field, his buddy Kubiak is out of a job. We as a fan base are obviously going to have to wait and see on this one, but in the meantime, I am very disappointed.
Old 01-13-2009   #106
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

Well, since Bush was an assistant DL coach it might not have gone over to well. Things like disguise, I believe, are philosophical. I blame Richard Smith because his defensive philosophy seemed disinterested in disguise or camouflage. I think Hoke is being held accountable for the secondary's performance. After all, he was fired also.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #107
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How is it safe? Greg Williams or Mike Nolan would be safe. This is a risky choice. And, frankly, who cares if it is inspiring to fans as long as he inspires the players.
It's safe because Kubes refused to go outside his comfort zone and to bring in a proven guy.

Here is my quote 2 weeks ago when Smith was fired..in the thread below...what do I win!!!!

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...t=57378&page=6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I'd love to see some of these names come in but in the bland, doing things by the book world of the Texans they will stay the course and just hire Bush and go from there. The excuse not to change to a high end coordinator will be.."he knows our personnel and they respect him." Just mark my word now and you will hear this from Kubes.
If he succeeds, I'll happily eat crow but this move could be Kubes career too.
Old 01-13-2009   #108
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

I really wanted to see Sean Mcdermott get an interview but I guesss he is going to install the same type of defense. I don't like the hire.
PHAROAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #109
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
It's safe because Kubes refused to go outside his comfort zone and to bring in a proven guy.

Here is my quote 2 weeks ago when Smith was fired..in the thread below...what do I win!!!!

Originally Posted by HoustonFrog
I'd love to see some of these names come in but in the bland, doing things by the book world of the Texans they will stay the course and just hire Bush and go from there. The excuse not to change to a high end coordinator will be.."he knows our personnel and they respect him." Just mark my word now and you will hear this from Kubes.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...t=57378&page=6

If he succeeds, I'll happily eat crow but this move could be Kubes career too.

I don't think elevating Bush equates to "staying put". There will be a significant change in philosophy and probably a great many other things. Also, I don't think the respect of the players and his understand of the personnel are insignificant. If he has a good handle on those things that is a reason far more than it is an excuse. Regarding the Texans' being bland, that sounds like you're a fan wanting to be entertained in the off-season. And, while I can sympathize with that, I'm not going to criticize the selection just because I didn't get to be excited about the process or the parade of names... It's in Kubes best interest for the defense to be good, so I'm sure he has the guy he thinks will be most successful. That is all I need. Oh, I will need on the field results but we're 8 months away from that.
Old 01-13-2009   #110
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
I don't think elevating Bush equates to "staying put". There will be a significant change in philosophy and probably a great many other things. Also, I don't think the respect of the players and his understand of the personnel are insignificant. If he has a good handle on those things that is a reason far more than it is an excuse. Regarding the Texans' being bland, that sounds like you're a fan wanting to be entertained in the off-season. And, while I can sympathize with that, I'm not going to criticize the selection just because I didn't get to be excited about the process or the parade of names... It's in Kubes best interest for the defense to be good, so I'm sure he has the guy he thinks will be most successful. That is all I need. Oh, I will need on the field results but we're 8 months away from that.
face it, dude. the texans brass could crap in your hand and you would take it as a gesture of kindness and respect. the next time you are critical of the Texans will probably be the first time.

this was a cheapskate move, through and through. bush was not the best and most qualified man for the job. that is for sure. because of that fact, i don't like the move. it's really that simple. i hope he has great success and proves me wrong but it may be wishful thinking based on his experience as a playcaller much less also a DC.

Last edited by Second Honeymoon; 01-13-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Second Honeymoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #111
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

This is a huge hire for Kubiak, all accountability now rests on his shoulders. I like that in an organization.

In the end, I want results from this maligned unit which means better personnel (unfortunately Grier is still around), player and positional development (I am worried given the lack of development across the board, especially at DE, DT, CB and S) and leveraging our current assets (which we really do not know if we have round pegs that will fit in Bush's circles).

Is our defensive staff more experienced, smarter and better communicators with the recent hires and promotions? Who the heck knows, but one thing is for sure Kubiak owns the result of the defensive unit next year and 8-8 will not suffice as a security blanket even if the offense performs.

Heads must roll if mediocrity persists next year, starting with Kubiak.

Last edited by Kaiser Toro; 01-13-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Kaiser Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #112
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Rep Power: 128 Htownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I love this pick!!!! I know as Texans fans we have all have reasons to be skeptical but I think the doubters will be happy with the results. Bush has coached all aspects of defenses, secondary, LB's and D-line. He was a high draft pick at LB with the Texans and his career was ended early to to injury. I love LB's as coaches they tend to have that killer instinct thats a hold over from their playing days.

This should not have been a surprise, Bush was Kubiaks pick when he got the job here in Houston but AZ would not let him out of his contract. Seems like the previous staff in AZ wanted him pretty bad!

I keep hearing people complain about the new blood, hiring him to be a D-coordinator since he has not done the job before. Look at the 4 playoff teams leftm three have new first time coaches Tomlin, Harbaugh, Whisenhut and Miami had a first time guy and now Denver is going to hire a first time HC. It seems the same old retread candidates are not locks for open jobs anymore!

Kubiak has one year left to get the job done, if after interviewing Bush and seeing his coaching style he has decided to bet his coaching career with the Texans on Bush's success then I gotta believe he thinks he is the best man for the job.

Like I mentioned before I know its hard for us after 6 yhears not to have doubts but you gotta have faith sometimes.

Support our troops
Htownsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #113
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 119055 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK View Post
I'd love nothing more than to be excited by this hire, but after letting the news sink in for a bit, I'm left feeling underwhelmed, uninspired, and unimpressed. I feel as if Kubiak didn't perform his due dilligence with this hire, and that it may ultimately cost him his job. I'm not entirely positive of what the role of "Senior Defensive Assistant" entails, but there were no results seen on the field. In 2006 under Smith, we finished 25th in scoring defense. We then hired Bush and our defenses finished 22nd and 27th the following two seasons. In fact, it has been years since Bush was on a staff that produced a good defense. Here are the results of the defenses that have had Bush on their staff this millenium:

2000 Broncos – 23rd
2001 Broncos – 21st
2002 Broncos – 15th
2003 Broncos – 9th
2004 Cardinals – 12th
2005 Cardinals – 26th
2006 Cardinals – 29th
2007 Texans – 22nd
2008 Texans - 27th

It's great that Bush is talking about being aggressive and not playing read and react, but that's the same stuff we've been hearing for years. Capers and Casserly dropped Sharper and Glenn for Greenwood and Buchanon so that the defense would have more speed and be able to be more aggressive. That didn't work. In came Smith who likely would have said the same thing but he hardly ever talked to the press.

Long story short, Bush can claim to want to be aggressive all he wants, but if he doesn't produce results on the field, his buddy Kubiak is out of a job. We as a fan base are obviously going to have to wait and see on this one, but in the meantime, I am very disappointed.
I'm lukewarm on the hiring, and I was hoping for a fresh face from the outside, but as I said in another thread, I'm more concerned with how I feel about it midway through next season than how I feel now.

Be that as it may, I'm a little anal, and I can't let the information you posted go unchallenged. First, during the 2001 -2003 seasons, Bush was the Broncos special teams coach, so whether good or bad, the defensive performance in those years isn't really a reflection of Bush. Secondly, the Arizona Cardinal defense was ranked 8th in yards allowed in 2005 and while they were 26th in scoring, 37 turnovers by the offense (5 more than the Texans had in 2008) probably had something to do with that. Finally, in the five years he was a Denver Defensive assistant that you didn't list (1995 - 1999) the defense finished ranked in the top ten for yardage allowed on three occassions, 11th on another, and 15th as the lowest ranking during those years. In scoring Defense, they ranked 14th, 7th, 6th, 8th & 11th.

I don't plan on throwing a party in honor of our new coordinator, but I think there's definitely a few positive things in the guys background.

Last edited by ChampionTexan; 01-13-2009 at 08:41 PM.
ChampionTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #114
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
face it, dude. the texans brass could crap in your hand and you would take it as a gesture of kindness and respect. the next time you are critical of the Texans will be the first time.

this was a cheapskate move, through and through. bush was not the best and most qualified man for the job. that is for sure. because of that fact, i don't like the move.

You're ridiculous! You are actually arguing that they hired Bush to save money. Wow! Kubiak hired him because he thinks he's the best chance he has to win, improve the defense and keep his job. Perhaps he is wrong. But, we won't know that until at least September. Until then, I see no reason to be pessimistic about it. From early indications, I like where the guy is coming from. By the way, I was calling for Richard Smith's removal after the '07 season.

I am critical of the Texans' plenty. More predictable than my optimism, however, is your pessimism. The fact that you believe this move was about saving a few bucks, shows any reasonable person that you have very little credibility.
Old 01-13-2009   #115
GNTLEWOLF
All Pro

Rep Power: 3825 GNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respectedGNTLEWOLF is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Skype™ to GNTLEWOLF

I have to say that I am somewhat disappointed by this move. I know that If my job depended on how well I performed on defense next yera, I would hire a proven guy that would allow me to sleep at night without worrying about who I will have to send resumes to. Kubiak must have a death wish. I'm not saying Bush won't get it done... I'm saying he is an unknown. And almost getting a little better next season will not only get the Texans a new DC but a Whole new coaching staff as well, including a HC.
GNTLEWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #116
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I like what I hear, and have no particular problem with the move. Of course, we won't know how good a move this was until sometime during next season, perhaps not until the season is over.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #117
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully in the next few days we'll get to hear what the players think about this.
Old 01-13-2009   #118
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

It will be interesting to catch the player's quotes and see if they are excited about the hire, that is pretty important. Moreover, this is year two for Rhodes, it is time for him to get a voice in what goes on this organization, especially to apply a time sensitive fore arm shiver to the Bush doubters, I mean liberals.
Old 01-13-2009   #119
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
I'm lukewarm on the hiring, and I was hoping for a fresh face from the outside, but as I said in another thread, I'm more concerned with how I feel about it midway through next season than how I feel now.

Be that as it may, I'm a little anal, and I can't let the information you posted go unchallenged. First, during the 2001 -2003 seasons, Bush was the Broncos special teams coach, so whether good or bad, the defensive performance in those years isn't really a reflection of Bush. Secondly, from everything I can tell, the Arizona Cardinal defense was ranked 8th in 2005 - not 26th (big difference there). Finally, in the five years he was a Denver Defensive assistant that you didn't list (1995 - 1999) the defense finished ranked in the top ten on three occassions, 11th on another, and 15th as the lowest ranking during those years.

I don't plan on throwing a party in honor of our new coordinator, but I think there's definitely a few positive things in the guys background.
I overlooked that Bush was the ST coach from 2001-2003, so we can throw those numbers out. The 2005 Arizona Cardinals ranked 26th in the NFL in scoring defense, but ranked 8th in YPG. This means that the Arizona defense may not have given up many yards, but they did give up a bunch of points. That's probably due to their offense or special teams putting the defense on a short field on multiple occasions. I omitted anything Bush did prior to 2000 simply because that was 9 seasons ago, and I'm more of a believer in recent history. Let it be known, though, that Bush was the LB coach on some good defenses back in the mid to late 90's.
Old 01-13-2009   #120
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
You're ridiculous! You are actually arguing that they hired Bush to save money. Wow! Kubiak hired him because he thinks he's the best chance he has to win, improve the defense and keep his job. Perhaps he is wrong. But, we won't know that until at least September. Until then, I see no reason to be pessimistic about it. From early indications, I like where the guy is coming from. By the way, I was calling for Richard Smith's removal after the '07 season.

I am critical of the Texans' plenty. More predictable than my optimism, however, is your pessimism. The fact that you believe this move was about saving a few bucks, shows any reasonable person that you have very little credibility.
i dont think it was only about money, but I don't know if they were willing to spend the top $ it would take to lure the top talent as our DC. Bush could be a great DC and I like that they are giving an African-American coach a chance at the big time, but I just hoped they would have brought someone in from outside of the Denver Alliance.

good luck Frank. the defense needs a heart transplant. hope your the man for the job.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read