Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2009   #81
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx
Default Re: Frank Bush named New Texans DC

I wonder who's gonna have more of a say now that we have a DC. Does Kubes still dictate whos DL and DB coach or is that all Franks deal?
Old 01-13-2009   #82
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm excited about this Frank Bush. I hated Jerry Glanville, but his defenses were disruptive and created a lot of turnovers. They also inflicted a lot of pain in the House of Pain. This is Bush's pedigree. The Texans may be on their way to being a team other teams don't want to play.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #83
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 151691 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

MEH.

I saw this coming, but hoped it wouldn't happen.

I will continue to have hope for next season, but I remain a huge skeptic of the Texans coaching staff and their FO decisions in this regard.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #84
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 45929 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTexansFan View Post
Who knows? I do remember everyone drooling when he was going to be our selection before Richard Smith, up until we were denied the right to talk to him by Arizona. Makes me question why we're all so negative about it now.

Guilt by association I suppose.

Old 01-13-2009   #85
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Bush is a distinct improvement. I expect good things from his defense next year.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #86
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

The only thing that doesn't thrill me about this hiring is the timing.

If Kubiak was going to hire Bush, he could have done during last offseason, or if he wasn't certain then, then he could have done it half way through this season.

There was no reason to wait until this offseason to hire someone that was already on this staff.
Old 01-13-2009   #87
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm good with it.

Just picture this: Frank Bush and Gary Kubiak basically had an intervention with Richard Smith this year.

When you-know-who says that Smithiak was awful for letting Riley's contract go un-renewed, I stop and think "Yeah, well they also let those guys finish out the year and keep their jobs and their salaries and their respect, too. They could have canned them all and installed Frank on the spot."

Seems pretty generous and sincere, if you ask me.

All Bush had to say was that he counts Buddy Ryan as a major influence. That's a defense that looks like it still is in place in Philly: Blitzes, attacking, physical, and just consistent in their attitude.

I'm down with this move.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-13-2009   #88
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Frank Bush's hiring doesn't do anything for me. Coaching doesn't count against the salary cap, so why are we shopping on the bargain aisle? He may be great and no one knows how we will do but the fact is that he has no experience as DC and has never called the plays before.

That ain't exactly the most qualified candidate out there, is it? If the defense still continues to underperform and prohibit us from taking the next step as a team, Gary and Smith need to be held accountable for this hire and we can't wait 3 years to see if it works out. Based on this hiring, we definitely need to go out and get a leader for our defense. Ray Lewis makes sense and I would love to add him to our coaching staff when he retires.

I just don't see how this is going to change the culture of the defense. He was already on the staff and we saw a flatlining defense almost every week.

This guy better work out or shame on McNair, Kubiak, and Smith for not getting a more qualified and experienced candidate.
Old 01-13-2009   #89
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I'm very disappointed. Very, very disappointed.

To me, this is like firing offensive coordinator, and replacing him with Joe Pendry.

What has he done, to deserve a promotion??

What was the Senior Defensive Assistant doing, when we gave up 24 points to Chicago, 27 points to Oakland, 21 to Greenbay, 33 to Indy, 41 to Baltimore, and 28 to Minnesota??

Was he, or was he not assiting the Defensive Coordinator??
Old 01-13-2009   #90
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

To me, this is like firing offensive coordinator, and replacing him with Joe Pendry.

What was the Senior Defensive Assistant doing, when we gave up 24 points to Chicago, 27 points to Oakland, 21 to Greenbay, 33 to Indy, 41 to Baltimore, and 28 to Minnesota??

I'd like to think it was less of being an "assistant," and more of being someone who took notes, tried to give his input when he could, and then had to let the rest of it go.

He was waiting in the wings, and Richard's poor performance opened the doors of opportunity that Kubiak had probably told him would end up happening back when he lured Bush to Houston.

It's like crack: Richard was addicted to a bad philosophy. He tried to kick the habit, via Kubiak and Bush stepping in and handcuffing him...but he fell off that wagon in Oakland.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #91
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 223020 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Frank Bush is saying what I want to hear, which is both encouraging and suspicious at the same time. I don’t think we have a lot to go on with the knowledge we have right now. I think the hiring of the rest of the defensive staff, free agent moves and the draft behind us we’ll have a better feel for what all this means.

That's a lot of beer between now and then, and I can only hope I have enough brain cells left to comprehend it when we are there.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #92
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07 View Post
I am less than awed or inspired.
I'm with you...safe, plain, uninspiring and unimaginative...typical
Old 01-13-2009   #93
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

It's a boring selection, they didn't create any buzz by going out a plucking up a big name. However, as to whether or not it's a good selection (a completely different concept altogether), there's only one way to find out....
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #94
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 55500 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I'm with you...safe, plain, uninspiring and unimaginative...typical
How is it safe? Greg Williams or Mike Nolan would be safe. This is a risky choice. And, frankly, who cares if it is inspiring to fans as long as he inspires the players.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #95
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
How is it safe? Greg Williams or Mike Nolan would be safe. This is a risky choice. And, frankly, who cares if it is inspiring to fans as long as he inspires the players.
I think depending on perspective you could spin just about any candidate to be a risky selection. Hell, this is just a risky juncture in Kubiak's tenure as HC of the Texans. I think Bush is safe because he is familiar. It required very little leg work on the part of the Texans to promote from within.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #96
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I will wait and see the results before feeling anything about Bush as DC. I'll reserve my judgement until we have a body of work to judge. Until then, it's all speculation on our collective parts.

But I hope for the best! What else can I do?
Old 01-13-2009   #97
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

when's the draft? hopefully he's sick of the sit back and be picked apart defense we had
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #98
Sideline
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 118 Sideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respectedSideline is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Sideline

I like this hiring, the in the house hiring is something that Kubiak seems to like, along with young Shanahan. It was expected and it was vanilla, but I have been given no legitimate reason as yet not to trust the moves made by Smith and Kubiak.

Bush was here for last years Defensive debarcle, which is something that perhaps gives us reason to worry, however because he was here for that he already has the blueprint in front of him of what not to do with our defense, so I believe we can safely say that the product we see on the field next season will be completly different to that which we saw this season.

Just wish we didnt have to wait another 7 months now to see how it all pans out.
Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #99
indiantexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 36 indiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post

Perhaps all Bush did was take notes and provide some input whenever asked to. He may not have volunteered to do anything because he may have wanted Capt. Smith of the Fail Boat to fail spectacularly for Kubiak and the FO to see....and offer him the job for 2009.
indiantexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #100
indiantexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 36 indiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respectedindiantexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I'd like to think it was less of being an "assistant," and more of being someone who took notes, tried to give his input when he could, and then had to let the rest of it go.

He was waiting in the wings, and Richard's poor performance opened the doors of opportunity that Kubiak had probably told him would end up happening back when he lured Bush to Houston.

It's like crack: Richard was addicted to a bad philosophy. He tried to kick the habit, via Kubiak and Bush stepping in and handcuffing him...but he fell off that wagon in Oakland.
or what GP said
indiantexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read