Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2009   #41
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 12424 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Frank Bush named New Texans DC

I hate this move. If this was the direction they wanted to go, it should have happened no later than week 8 last year.

It shows a serious lack of foresight.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #42
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
In their defense we know that asked to interview Gray and were denied. There is nothing for sure stating that they didn't interview anybody else.
Yeah, but they could have interviewed a few guys first. There were more out there than Gray and Bush.
Old 01-13-2009   #43
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1185 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder if he's going to put pictures of rocks in the guys' lockers.
Old 01-13-2009   #44
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Yeah, but they could have interviewed a few guys first. There were more out there than Gray and Bush.
Who?
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #45
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
I wonder if he's going to put pictures of rocks in the guys' lockers.
He should put up a picture of Ed Reed breaking Chris Johnson in half, or a picture of Ray Lewis blowing up Ahmard Hall to let the players know what is expected of them.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #46
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1185 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
He should put up a picture of Ed Reed breaking Chris Johnson in half, or a picture of Ray Lewis blowing up Ahmard Hall to let the players know what is expected of them.
I prefer that to rocks.

Maybe a picture of Mario violating Bud Adams' mother while pouring sugar in Jeff Fisher's gas tank?

That might fire up the troops.
Old 01-13-2009   #47
da Bull
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
Hopefully The scheme will be molded around the talent, not the other way around.
That's the most salient point.

The one thing about this whole exercise is that Bush has probably demonstrated to Kubiak that he can handle the administrative side of being a coordinator. Which I would think is more encompassing than just being a position coach (i.e. Sean McDermott et. al.)
da Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-13-2009   #48
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Congrats to Frank Bush. I'll reserve judgement till we play 8 regular season games next season. I think Bush will do a better job than Richard Smith did. He knows the players, he's seen what works and what our players are capable of. Hopefully now, we can go get him some players who can wreak havok.
Old 01-13-2009   #49
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Is it possible that Bush was already calling the defensive plays and taking a more hands-on role overall before Smith was canned? Is it possible he was already the DC for the second half of the season, with Smith having been reined in?
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #50
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

It's an exciting day. We have a new defense now. We won't be complaining anymore about the defense playing too conservatively. Apparently, this is the guy the defensive players wanted and it's definitely the guy that Kubes wanted 3 years ago.

I agree with my buddy Barrett that the one concern I have is the lack of interviews. However, I think the Marinelli interview may have been more about DC than was let on. Also, it's possible that their search was a lot more than we know. Besides the reported denial by the Redskins, who knows what else happened behind the scenes the past 2 weeks.

I've been screaming for a year that simply being aggressive on defense and forcing tempo will have wonderful results for this team. Since we have one of the better and more explosive offenses in the NFL, an up tempo game with more posessions is a good thing, even if we do give up a couple more big plays.

In other words, I'd rather give up 24 points, create 3 turnovers, and have our offense get the ball 13 times....

versus,

Give up 20 points, create one turnover, and our offense only gets 10 posessions.

I hope that makes sense. I think teams with good offenses doing themselves a disservice when the defense basically encourages 12-14 play drives. They're shooting themselves in the foot!
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #51
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 314445 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

It is unfortunate that we will not see the results of this for quite some time. I already miss football season and it's technically not over with yet.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #52
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
Is it possible that Bush was already calling the defensive plays and taking a more hands-on role overall before Smith was canned? Is it possible he was already the DC for the second half of the season, with Smith having been reined in?
That's what a lot of us were theorizing.

We have a recent confirmation that Richard Smith was, at the very least, being told by Kubiak AND Bush that there were some things he could do...some things he could not do.

In essence, Richard Smith had been handcuffed at some point in the season. And it wasn't just Kubiak doing the lock down. Bush told a person that he was involved in the decision and its implementation, as well.

I think it's funny that we wanted Bush when he was with the Cards, but couldn't get him due to contract no-no's. And now we wanted to interview Gray, but couldn't due to contract no-no's. I guess we'll have to wait until Gray is let go in order to get him as our d-coord? LOL [/sarcasm]
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #53
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

4pm today on houstontexans.com will be a live interview with Kubes and Bush.

Please let McClain and company ask questions that shed some light on the direction and philosophy of our new defense.
Old 01-13-2009   #54
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
I thought that as well late in the season when our defense stepped up.

It may not be the sexiest hiring and it could have been done earlier, but let's reserve judgment until we actually see the product on the field. There are quite a few Head Coaching jobs available and a lot of DCs being interviewed for those positions. If you can't interview coordinators under contract unless its for a head coaching position or the team will let you then the pool is pretty small, I am not sure what DCs are under contract, but I am sure that the top tier DC are locked up for a good number of years. I am excited to see what Bush can do, he should have a great relationship with Mario both being from the Wolfpack and being drafted by Houston franchises. He should be able to help progress our young LBs Meco and Adibi and further them along with his LB experience. The Texans website has already updated his profile.

Whats done is done now lets support our new TEXANS DC!

Old 01-13-2009   #55
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
Per McClain on his chat today:

John McClain: I hope Frank Bush gets it. Frank will blitz like crazy and have the linemen shoot the gaps to get after the quarterback and give the defense an identity -- everybody to the ball and hit until the whistle. That's the system he was brought up under.

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2009/01/t...chat_0113.html

Sounds decidedly more aggressive than the vanilla wafer defense (plain, flat, and crumbles easily) that RS trotted out.
Yeah that sounds good but McClain also said all the time how Richard Smith would "blitz every play if he could" but they don't feel like the secondary can hold up blah blah blah. Until the season starts and we get a few games under our belt all we are going to see on the defense will be fluff pieces about how much has changed on defense for the better that will build up our expectations. I'm a sucker for the Texans so I know I will be reading every one of those and eventually they will turn me into a believer but right now I am not pleased with this move. Bring on the draft I guess.
Old 01-13-2009   #56
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
I think they wanted to give Gray a chance at the job in an interview. Once they were denied, they made the annoucement
OK, but how long did it take for them to know that they couldn't speak to Jerry Gray?

Isn't the general rule that you can't interview for a lateral move...only for a head coaching job? That's correct, is it not?

If so, then that doesn't wash.

I just think they drug their feet, knowing Bush was their guy, and they know they've drug this out long enough. They knew GP and his band of investigators were getting a little too close to the truth!
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #57
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 48384 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
If Bush was the one calling the plays towards the last part of the season that led to much better defensive performance than I am really happy about this hiring. If it wasn't him than I am "meh, let's see what happens" about it.

Obviousley pure speculation on my part, but my gut tells me Bush was calling the plays down the stretch. Hopefully not the Oakland game though!!!!!!!
Old 01-13-2009   #58
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
That's what a lot of us were theorizing.

We have a recent confirmation that Richard Smith was, at the very least, being told by Kubiak AND Bush that there were some things he could do...some things he could not do.

In essence, Richard Smith had been handcuffed at some point in the season. And it wasn't just Kubiak doing the lock down. Bush told a person that he was involved in the decision and its implementation, as well.

I think it's funny that we wanted Bush when he was with the Cards, but couldn't get him due to contract no-no's. And now we wanted to interview Gray, but couldn't due to contract no-no's. I guess we'll have to wait until Gray is let go in order to get him as our d-coord? LOL [/sarcasm]
That was my argument with Texanchick and others who were afraid that the defensive improvement towards the end of the season may save Richard Smith's job. I thought the change in style was immediate and significant enough that it indicated the involvement of someone else. I guess that someone was Bush.

By the way, the most exciting aspect of this change is represented in some quotes in a story in December by Dunta and some unnamed players. Basically, they said that they would leave defensive meetings knowing it just wouldn't work. And, they were itching to be allowed to start attacking more.

Also telling was a story in November about Eugene Wilson. Members of our secondary were astonished that he positioned his body in ways in order to decieve the QB and the offense. Wow! That pretty much says it all about Richard Smith's abilities as a DC. I gotta believe deception might begin to be taught and game planned now. REVOLUTIONARY!!
Old 01-13-2009   #59
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

TC weighs in on her blog

http://blogs.chron.com/texanschick/2...the_frank.html
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #60
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
OK, but how long did it take for them to know that they couldn't speak to Jerry Gray?

Isn't the general rule that you can't interview for a lateral move...only for a head coaching job? That's correct, is it not?

If so, then that doesn't wash.

I just think they drug their feet, knowing Bush was their guy, and they know they've drug this out long enough. They knew GP and his band of investigators were getting a little too close to the truth!
The rule is that you can't interview for a non-head coaching position without permission from your contractor. The Redskins pay Gray a lot of money, so they may have been considering a deal where they would let him interview here if he agreed to terminate his contract. I have no idea, but if the team with the employee agrees, they are allowed to interview

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read