Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2009   #221
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Frank Bush named New Texans DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
. Perhaps he's earned the benefit of the doubt?

you know, I'm sure you spoke out against all of these moves:
1. Mario over Reggie and Vince
2. trading for MSchaub
3. bringing Rick Smith in as GM
4. promoting Shanahan to OC
5. starting DBrown all season
6. Kevin Walter trade and insertion into the starting lineup
Except these "brilliant moves" have only added up to two 8-8 seasons. So maybe the moves aren't bad but they in no way make up for Ahman Green, Chris Brown and bad game decisions, challenges, and time management. I'm not anti-Kubes but there is another side to the track record and you can make good moves and still do nothing with it. Just saying. I really just wanted some new blood.
Old 01-17-2009   #222
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Except these "brilliant moves" have only added up to two 8-8 seasons. So maybe the moves aren't bad but they in no way make up for Ahman Green, Chris Brown and bad game decisions, challenges, and time management. I'm not anti-Kubes but there is another side to the track record and you can make good moves and still do nothing with it. Just saying. I really just wanted some new blood.
Those are decisions that took the worst NFL franchise in football and has turned them into a very young and promising team. I don't recall arguing that he hasn't made mistakes. My point was that he has proven to be a pretty good decision-maker and deserves the benefit of the doubt- Of course he's proven to be fallible. I'm not here to hero worship!

The AGreen and Chris Brown decisions are largely irrelevant and more the result of the previous' regime and the talent and salary cap predicament they put us in. I'd rather have $5 million of dead money from AGreen's contract and a dirt-cheap Chris Brown on the IR along with Mario, MSchaub, and an Alex Gibbs' coached Oline... rather than neither of those RBs and Reggie Bush without Mario or Vince Young without Matt Schuab or Mario. Hey, but that's just me.

I've been fairly outspoken about frustrations with Kubes' game management. However, that's not what I was talking about. And, I think that is just part of a new head coaches' growing pains. I've got a Steeler fan friend that can't stand Tomlin because of "all the bonehead calls".
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009   #223
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
lol chris brown please.... you forgot dexter wynn.. hes not around anymore- another crucisl error in judgement

hes hit on nearly every big decision hes had to make. weaver being the exception imo. green possibly too- played well when healthy but... (big enough but- not a huge contract though)
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009   #224
Lucky

Rep Power: 100513 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
hes hit on nearly every big decision hes had to make. weaver being the exception imo. green possibly too- played well when healthy but... (big enough but- not a huge contract though)
If Kubiak had "hit" on the defensive coordinator the first time, this thread wouldn't exist. 1st round picks qualify as "big decisions". And it's too early to suggest that Kubiak has gotten it right on the last two.

Here's an interesting quote from Lance Zierlein's Z Report, concerning the Bush hiring.

Quote:
While I'm okay with Kubiak hiring Frank Bush, I am curious as to how many friends around the league Kubiak has. He doesn't seem to reach out to very many coaches who he doesn't have a background with and I don't think he even interviewed any other defensive coordinator candidates other than Bush.

Most coaches network since they have to move from job to job, but Kubiak played and coached in Denver so I don't know about how many coaches around the league who he knows well or even trusts other than his Denver posse.
On the flip side, how many assistant coaches know Kubiak well enough to want to coach under him? Being able to pull together a coaching staff is a very important aspect of being a NFL head coach. Kubiak's decision making in this regard has been dubious, thus far.
Old 01-17-2009   #225
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
While we can squable about details, SecondH, you(& I ) were right about this one. It wasn't so much a Vince vs Mario, for people like us. It was a David Carr can't cut it in this league, and we need another QB.
This makes as much sense as saying you would be ok with Lorena Bobbit because it is anyone other than your current wife.

If vy had not attended UT most of the people would not have wanted him and would have looked closer at his mechanics and the fact Mack Brown had to dummy down his offense for him and also would have looked at his wonderlic score (or lack there of).

Oh and by the way, you can say you were right about Carr but you were dead wrong about vy. So three years later the Texans would again be in the same situation, a crappy QB who can't read defenses and looking for a new one and a new coach and gm as well.
Old 01-17-2009   #226
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
If Kubiak had "hit" on the defensive coordinator the first time, this thread wouldn't exist. 1st round picks qualify as "big decisions". And it's too early to suggest that Kubiak has gotten it right on the last two.
no coach is perfect and gets EVERY decision/hire right. your success depends on the frequency of those wrong decisions. i think kubiak (despite all the bad doing he gets on here sometimes) has a pretty good success rate

we're going to find out if his first-choice D co-ordinator is a hit over the next year or 2.. and its too early to say hes missed too. i think both will come good but thats jmo
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009   #227
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
This makes as much sense as saying you would be ok with Lorena Bobbit because it is anyone other than your current wife.
I'd have been fine with a "trade down and get Lienart" movement, or a "trade down and get Cutler" movement, but neither of those presented themselves.
Quote:
If vy had not attended UT most of the people would not have wanted him and would have looked closer at his mechanics and the fact Mack Brown had to dummy down his offense for him and also would have looked at his wonderlic score (or lack there of).
That may be, but he did win the Rose Bowl, and a National Championship
Quote:
Oh and by the way, you can say you were right about Carr but you were dead wrong about vy. So three years later the Texans would again be in the same situation, a crappy QB who can't read defenses and looking for a new one and a new coach and gm as well.
More than likely.

If this is a me or Kubiak poll, I'd vote for Kubiak myself.

What's your point.

My point is that SecondHoneymoon had/has cause to be critical of this regime, just like you've got cause to be critical of my opinion.
Old 01-17-2009   #228
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
lol chris brown please.... you forgot dexter wynn.. hes not around anymore- another crucisl error in judgement

Scoff if you will but you fail to explain the biggets moves of all...gametime ones. Again, I like the guy, good man and think he has done well with some personnel but that doesn't mean he can coach or can handle the pressure. You act like the Green move isn't a big deal but they kept sticking with him despite age, salary and the fact that he proved undependable. At times the excuses got deep. But what do I know I just watch people continuously make excuses for each regime despite nothing to show.
Old 01-18-2009   #229
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I just ate some leftover BBQ at 1:20 a.m.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009   #230
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Scoff if you will but you fail to explain the biggets moves of all...gametime ones. Again, I like the guy, good man and think he has done well with some personnel but that doesn't mean he can coach or can handle the pressure.
I think those bad game-time decisions really need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Even the 'great' coaches make decisions that make us arm-chair QB's scratch our heads but sometimes (not every time) they're doing it because of some strategy that they're aware of that we aren't.

Kubiak's approach to 2 minutes drives me crazy. He'll run conservative plays to see if he can get a first down and if he DOES get a first down, then he'll go into aggressive mode. If we're inside our own 30 or so, he doesn't try to get the ball down the field. And to me, that seems like a questionable strategy... but watching other games this year, I noticed a couple of other successful coaches taking the same strategy.

Kubiak has a bad record with challenges. But iirc, coaches as a whole run at less than 50% with their challenges. I think I heard in one of the games at the end of the season that Andy Reid's challenge percentage was similar to Kubiak's (like 1 successful challenge all season or something like that.) So, that doesn't seem like something to castigate a coach over.

The last game-time thing that Kubiak does that has irritated me is calling the time out before a half-ending field goal with too much time left on the clock. He habitually calls his time out at about 10-12 seconds when he should take it down to 3 or 4. At 10 seconds, that means we're going to have to kick off again and that's dangerous and unnecessary. I'm not sure why he does that but it drives me crazy.

BUT... I don't see any of those things as a sign of a "bad" coach... because you see good coaches like Reid and Fisher doing the same things.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009   #231
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I think those bad game-time decisions really need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Even the 'great' coaches make decisions that make us arm-chair QB's scratch our heads but sometimes (not every time) they're doing it because of some strategy that they're aware of that we aren't.

Kubiak's approach to 2 minutes drives me crazy. He'll run conservative plays to see if he can get a first down and if he DOES get a first down, then he'll go into aggressive mode. If we're inside our own 30 or so, he doesn't try to get the ball down the field. And to me, that seems like a questionable strategy... but watching other games this year, I noticed a couple of other successful coaches taking the same strategy.

Kubiak has a bad record with challenges. But iirc, coaches as a whole run at less than 50% with their challenges. I think I heard in one of the games at the end of the season that Andy Reid's challenge percentage was similar to Kubiak's (like 1 successful challenge all season or something like that.) So, that doesn't seem like something to castigate a coach over.

The last game-time thing that Kubiak does that has irritated me is calling the time out before a half-ending field goal with too much time left on the clock. He habitually calls his time out at about 10-12 seconds when he should take it down to 3 or 4. At 10 seconds, that means we're going to have to kick off again and that's dangerous and unnecessary. I'm not sure why he does that but it drives me crazy.

BUT... I don't see any of those things as a sign of a "bad" coach... because you see good coaches like Reid and Fisher doing the same things.
You guys are right to have some problems with his game management. That being said, complaining about the two minute offense at halftime or in a tie game at the end is nuts. It's a simple risk-reward issue. First, we've been pretty successful in those situations: Green Bay, Miami '08, Miami '07... You have to run clock in a tie game with 2:00 to go if you're inside your own 20. Otherwise, if you throw 3 incompletions and punt, you've positioned the opposing team for a game-winning field goal without even creating difficult decisions or circumstances for them. Look at it this way: "What Would Martz Do?" As a fan, if you find yourself thinking like Mike Martz realize that you have no business criticizing game management decisions.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009   #232
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Some funny stuff...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read