Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-13-2009   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Importance of a premier safety

I was replying to the Taylor Mays thread, when I came across something I find interesting:

The 4 remaining playoff teams have 4 of the top 5 safeties in the NFL roaming around back there. The remaining #5, probably Chris Hope, was on a team just knockced out.

1. Ed Reed
2. Troy Polamalu
3. Brian Dawkins
4. Adrian Wilson

A really talented safety allows a defense to do a lot of really, really good things in both the run game and passing game. And thats something we've been missing the last few years
Old 01-13-2009   #2
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Re: Importance of a premier safety

Bob Sanders isn't on your top 5 safety list?
Old 01-13-2009   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Not this year. He only played in 5 or 6 games?
Old 01-13-2009   #4
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Maybe next year when he's healthy again. Not this past year.
Old 01-13-2009   #5
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Not this year. He only played in 5 or 6 games?
That also helps the argument though. Sanders was out for awhile and the team slid substantially. Things might have been a little different for the Colts had Sanders been healthy all year.

Th only problem now is that Mays isn't coming out, so who will be the top safeties? I was saying William Moore would be a good selection, but will he get picked up before 15?
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #6
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
That also helps the argument though. Sanders was out for awhile and the team slid substantially. Things might have been a little different for the Colts had Sanders been healthy all year.

Th only problem now is that Mays isn't coming out, so who will be the top safeties? I was saying William Moore would be a good selection, but will he get picked up before 15?
No way Moore gets picked before 15. I'm not that high on Moore. He would be a good player to have and all, but I'm thinking that we go LB right now considering what I think will be available at 15 unless Maabin is there.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #7
Polo

I think in any given year you can point to the four teams playing for the conference championship and find a position that they are all strong at.

I don't think having a premiere safety is any more important than having a premiere (insert any position here)
Sponsored links
Old 01-13-2009   #8
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with that good safety play is very important, however we should not reach on players in the draft or FA.

There are some good safeties in this draft with 2nd or 3rd round grades.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #9
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
No way Moore gets picked before 15. I'm not that high on Moore. He would be a good player to have and all, but I'm thinking that we go LB right now considering what I think will be available at 15 unless Maabin is there.
There was only one LB drafted in the 1st round last year, Keith Rivers. But in previous years there have been some good ones like Willis, Beason, Hawk, Timmons and you can almost count Ryans. I wouldn't be against taking a good LB.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #10
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
There was only one LB drafted in the 1st round last year, Keith Rivers. But in previous years there have been some good ones like Willis, Beason, Hawk, Timmons and you can almost count Ryans. I wouldn't be against taking a good LB.
Check out Curry and Muleuga. Seminole posted a bunch of Curry's highlights in another thread. Curry looks spectacular.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #11
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't consider a safety a top priority here with the Texans - it's all about
developing a real pass rush once and for all for the Texans. Whatever that takes, get it done then the rest of the D will fall into place and perform better.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #12
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I don't consider a safety a top priority here with the Texans - it's all about
developing a real pass rush once and for all for the Texans. Whatever that takes, get it done then the rest of the D will fall into place and perform better.
Its hard to generate a pass rush when opposing defenses can dink and dunk there way around the field or throw quick hitters out to WRs on quick outs and slants. If we had good safeties who could actually be respnosible for picking up deep threats, we could afford to keep our CBs actually close to the LOS instead of requiring they give a 10 yard cushion
Old 01-13-2009   #13
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I think in any given year you can point to the four teams playing for the conference championship and find a position that they are all strong at.

I don't think having a premiere safety is any more important than having a premiere (insert any position here)
I agree with this. I'm incredulous of the strength of connection between safety and playoff success. As Polo pointed out, I think this is a procrustean fallacy - take the divisional playoff teams out of any year and you can find a common link that may or may not be the reason they made it that far. When evaluating the importance of a premier safety, I think the crucial indicator of success is the premier part. Safeties don't make defenses great, great players make defenses great (regardless of position).
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #14
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

both safeties need to be replaced, need help in run support and how often have we seen a safety help a CB on a deep ball
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #15
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

good safety play allow teams to get exotic with blitz packages and that is our problem we can't deploy that many packages.
PHAROAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #16
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
both safeties need to be replaced, need help in run support and how often have we seen a safety help a CB on a deep ball
Wilson played very well and has been the best safety we've ever had.
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #17
gtexan02
Working?

We get one good year out of our guys. Coleman had that one good year, then Demps, now Wilson
Old 01-13-2009   #18
wolf123
All Pro

Rep Power: 2801 wolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respectedwolf123 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
We get one good year out of our guys. Coleman had that one good year, then Demps, now Wilson
Coleman was old and demps was never any good.
wolf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #19
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
good safety play allow teams to get exotic with blitz packages and that is our problem we can't deploy that many packages.
Good cornerback play does more for a defense's ability to blitz than safety play does.

When you blitz, more times than not you have to go man on the outside. We have never had good enough CB play to do this consistently.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #20
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf123 View Post
Coleman was old and demps was never any good.
?? Not sure what you're remembering...

Coleman was 29 during the 2003 season when he had 70 tackles and 7 INTs. I'd call that a pretty good season

Demps last year was voted as a pro-bowl alternate

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read