Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-13-2009   #1
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Taylor Mays returning to USC

ESPN is reporting that Taylor Mays is returning to USC for another year. Scratch him off our want list this year.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #2
Polo

Default Re: Taylor Mays returning to USC

Trade down.
Old 01-13-2009   #3
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14

Saw that this morning as well. It should be interesting Thursday when we know who all is coming out. I love the draft, but Mays was one guy I would love for the Texans to get even though he probably would have been gone by the time we were on the clock.
Old 01-13-2009   #4
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Thank god.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

That really sucks.

It hurts us two ways:

1) We can't draft hm
2) Another team with a need at FS is likely going to look at Moore, making his draft price sky rocket

I don't get it. Why wouldn't he come out this year? If he ran a 4.3ish time at the combine, he'd practically be guaranteed top 15 money
Old 01-13-2009   #6
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it hurts us because that's one less elite player that will fall to us, but I like it because I did not want to draft Taylor Mays.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #7
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Linkage:
http://www.dailynews.com/ci_11439613
Errant Hothy is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-13-2009   #8
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Crap. One less player to maybe push a guy like BJ Raji to us... and Moores stock does go up simply because he is now the #1 Safety.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #9
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I think it hurts us because that's one less elite player that will fall to us, but I like it because I did not want to draft Taylor Mays.
It hurts us either way in my opinion. I don't want Moore. Sure, he would be an upgrade, but he doesn't look like near the elite safety that Mays will be. ANd like you said, that is just one more potential player that would have been off the board freeing up a different potential prospect for us.

I really am getting intrigued by Aaron Maabin more and more. I just don't like the liklihood that him or Orakpo would slip to us.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #10
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Dang. Even if we didn't pick him its one less player removed from the list.
Old 01-13-2009   #11
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Guaranteed workout warriors are the best thing that can happen to a team picking at 15.

Guys who should be picked somewhere between 15-30 in the first round suddenly become top if their 40 time is below a certain value or if they lift a specific amount of weight

That allows the real top 10 players to drop, and then allows teams like ours to pick them up later in the draft and for cheaper
Old 01-13-2009   #12
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Thank god.
I thought I was alone in not wanting him. Now, if I could only get Orakpo another year of eligability...
Old 01-13-2009   #13
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Bad move. Gotta strike when the iron's hot! Remember Ronney Daniels from Auburn? Ok, that's kind of extreme. But, look at Lauranitis from Ohio State. You give NFL scouts another year to critique you and they will find more and more flaws in your performance. Mays has nothing left to prove at USC. Plus, Eric Berry with the coaching that he will get from Monte Kiffin will be next year's #1 safety prospect. Hell, he'd be the #1 safety this year if he was eligible for the draft!

Last edited by Texan JBZ; 01-13-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Texan JBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #14
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like Mays isn't afraid of a little competition from Eric Berry to see who the top safety will be next year.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #15
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Looks like Mays isn't afraid of a little competition from Eric Berry to see who the top safety will be next year.
Well maybe it could turn out good where Berry and Mays come out next year and possibly another top Safety has a great season where it becomes a deep draft for safeties.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #16
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Well maybe it could turn out good where Berry and Mays come out next year and possibly another top Safety has a great season where it becomes a deep draft for safeties.
Major Wright could be that guy. Add to that group Rolle, who says he will enter the '10 draft after his year at Oxford; and that could be four really good safeties in 1 draft class.
Errant Hothy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #17
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94100 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

$%^$^&^%!
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #18
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Shiznit.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #19
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I dunno but I have a feeling a lot of the Mays fans on this Board were also big Reggie/USC fans back in 2006 who were disappointed because we didn't draft him and are still excited about the prospect of getting a big-name Trojan on the Texans roster ?
Now there's many, many on this Board who know far more about DBs than I do, but it's my understanding that as long as we go with a system that features and emphasises corners who are strong cover guys there tends to be less emphasises on prominent/high-draft-pick type safetys like Mays ? Anybody, help me out on this ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Screws up my trade down scenario but just means I still want my spots filled and have to figure out how to accomplish it. If a player is in top 15, he should have ample evidence, he will improve his next draft placement substantially not to go for current draft. We all know the variables that can screw up another year in college.

I see 3 basic areas I call 'DIRE NEED" for improvement on Texans. The first, turn overs should be corrected without draft, unless you replace the player such as J. Jones. The next two are A) scoring 6 in red zone and B) stopping the run. I had thought that a RB in 2nd such as Shonn Green would take care of B and a DT in later rounds could plug the holes. I was looking for a DT that would address the issue but not eat up a day one pick. Maybe Ron Brace a physical clone and team mate of B.J. Raji. I have minimal info on Brace but you get the idea. Recently, I have debated whether a 15 should be used on Raji. I think some are saying he will go 15-25 opening the door for a possible trade down and pick up a 2nd. Anyway with Mays out of the picture as trade bait, I am considering the following;

1st Raji DT with or without a trade down.
2nd Shonn Green Rb
3rd Rashad Johnson FS 6'0" 190 4.49 or Sherrod Martin FS 6'1" 193 4.46
4th Robert Ayers DE 6/3" 270 lbs All SEC 1st team 3 sacks 15 tackles for loss.
5th Ian Johnson RB (Slaton clone)

Trade down, same but select DE Matt Shaunessy if avail with later 2nd pick or if not Brandon Graham who can play DE or ILB

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read