Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-12-2009   #1
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default David Gibbs Interview/Gibbs Hired

Didn't see this posted anywhere else.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6207400.html

What do y'all think?
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #2
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: David Gibbs Interview

To me the Texans are doing everything backwards. They interview position coaches before hiring a dc. Of course if they plan on promoting Bush then I guess it makes sense except they should name him already if he is their man. I personally would like some new blood to come in with fresh ideas. You would think they would have interviewed Jerry Gray and/or Greg Williams already and have those interviews out of the way. It really looks like the Texans have their eye on one person in particular with Bush as their fall back guy. Hard to tell.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #3
Killer Bee
Rookie

Rep Power: 487 Killer Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respected

This is great news. From my knowledge, he has a very solid track record. More importantly, it would keep his father Alex Gibbs here for at least another year.
Old 01-12-2009   #4
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
To me the Texans are doing everything backwards. They interview position coaches before hiring a dc. Of course if they plan on promoting Bush then I guess it makes sense except they should name him already if he is their man. I personally would like some new blood to come in with fresh ideas. You would think they would have interviewed Jerry Gray and/or Greg Williams already and have those interviews out of the way. It really looks like the Texans have their eye on one person in particular with Bush as their fall back guy. Hard to tell.
To me, it DOES back up the idea that Bush is Plan B in case Plan A doesn't work out. So, Plan A must be someone on one of the remaining playoff teams.

Going to be a lot of pissed off people here if Frank Bush becomes the DC after all the movement in the offseason market. The early verdict will be that the Texans didn't get serious about bringing a fresh brain into the mix at DC. If so...you gotta' start asking yourself "WHY?"

I don't live in Houston, and don't get the local sports stuff every day. What's the mood like right now? Is there an eery silence out of Texans office(s) right now? Seems like they've kinda' gone underground with as little info that I've seen posted on this search for a DC.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #5
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Just more proof of what a lot of us have been saying for a while - it's Bush, and it was always going to be Bush.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #6
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
To me, it DOES back up the idea that Bush is Plan B in case Plan A doesn't work out. So, Plan A must be someone on one of the remaining playoff teams.

Going to be a lot of pissed off people here if Frank Bush becomes the DC after all the movement in the offseason market. The early verdict will be that the Texans didn't get serious about bringing a fresh brain into the mix at DC. If so...you gotta' start asking yourself "WHY?"

I don't live in Houston, and don't get the local sports stuff every day. What's the mood like right now? Is there an eery silence out of Texans office(s) right now? Seems like they've kinda' gone underground with as little info that I've seen posted on this search for a DC.
What movment in the offseason are you talking about?

Nolan has been the only hiring so far, at DC. Marinelli and Capers being the only position coaches I can recall being hired off hand; and while I would have like Marinelli to coach the line here I want nothing to do with Capers.

Everybody needs to calm down and see how this plays out, before we start to make assumptions as to how the search is handeled.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #7
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 294595 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Just more proof of what a lot of us have been saying for a while - it's Bush, and it was always going to be Bush.
meh....you're maybe right, who knows? At this point I don’t care if they prop George Gipp’s skeleton up in the locker room and call him the DC, and long as the defense improves and gets us into the playoffs.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-12-2009   #8
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Your asking for the mood of the local fans that a segment of still thinks trading for VY would be a good idea. I'll defer to this messageboard for what I think are the forward thinking and somewhat football savvy fans opinions.

Whether we get a fresh brain or not, I just really don't care who is put back there, as long as it's a change. Sure if the change appears to hinder the defense even more than it already is, then I'm sure there will be a lot of us calling for other coaching staff heads to roll, but until then I'm not going to make any judgement of great the defense will be when the hire is announced.

I have a strong feeling that it will be Bush, but whatever. He, along with all of the other coordinators mentioned have their pros and cons.
Old 01-12-2009   #9
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
What movment in the offseason are you talking about?

Nolan has been the only hiring so far, at DC. Marinelli and Capers being the only position coaches I can recall being hired off hand; and while I would have like Marinelli to coach the line here I want nothing to do with Capers.

Everybody needs to calm down and see how this plays out, before we start to make assumptions as to how the search is handeled.
What interviews have been announced or covered for the position of Defensive Coordinator thus far?

Crickets are chirping. It's gotta' be a guy on one of the remaining four teams, and if that guy won't come over...it's Plan B.

I won't care if it's Plan B. I'm in the mood for ABRS (Anybody But Richard Smith). And I think Bush was playing a part in those games when we are all on the gameday thread saying "What the hell is THAT? A blitz? Richard must have stepped out for a bathroom break."
Old 01-12-2009   #10
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What interviews have been announced or covered for the position of Defensive Coordinator thus far?

Crickets are chirping. It's gotta' be a guy on one of the remaining four teams, and if that guy won't come over...it's Plan B.

I won't care if it's Plan B. I'm in the mood for ABRS (Anybody But Richard Smith). And I think Bush was playing a part in those games when we are all on the gameday thread saying "What the hell is THAT? A blitz? Richard must have stepped out for a bathroom break."
It always sounds like crickets chripping at Reliant.

I agree that they likely have their eye on somebody still coaching, but even if they don't I'm not opposed to them taking their time with this. Nobody of much consequence is off the market yet anyways.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #11
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's more or less what I believe too now. Trying to get Marinelli on the DL was a decision that left some room for debate as to who their preferred DC was going to be. Marinelli is a DL coaching home run and there's not a candidate worth the time for the DC spot that would balk at working with him.

Now to try and fill the DB coaching spot with David Gibbs just really says that the Texans are going to give the job to Frank Bush. He's probably in there with Kubiak interviewing these guys.

I'm mostly ok with that (maybe a bit dissappointed) but it will all come down to what Bush does. Kubiak had best be confident in his choice if it's Bush because he's going to be fired because of him if he's wrong.
Old 01-12-2009   #12
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
That's more or less what I believe too now. Trying to get Marinelli on the DL was a decision that left some room for debate as to who their preferred DC was going to be. Marinelli is a DL coaching home run and there's not a candidate worth the time for the DC spot that would balk at working with him.

Now to try and fill the DB coaching spot with David Gibbs just really says that the Texans are going to give the job to Frank Bush. He's probably in there with Kubiak interviewing these guys.

I'm mostly ok with that (maybe a bit dissappointed) but it will all come down to what Bush does. Kubiak had best be confident in his choice if it's Bush because he's going to be fired because of him if he's wrong.

The whole process has been a head scratcher so far. I'm still holding out for Gray or McDermott but more and more I'm getting worried due to no interviews for the dc yet. But 2 for position coaches. I still can't understand why if Bush is their man that they just don't announce it. That is the part that gives me hope for a fresh face.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #13
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Perhaps they are interviewing Gibbs so if they choose Bush for DC, they have already interviewed a secondary coach. If they bring in someone different maybe they don't hire Gibbs, and go with whoever the new DC wants.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #14
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 108383 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

"We have bush!"

Yeah, I think it will be Bush too. Its OK I guess, I was hoping for a proven guy though. Maybe Frank will prove to be a hell of a coordinator, who knows? Maybe its someone on one of the playoff teams like someone here said, if not......... we'll have Bush!

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #15
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think you're dead on about Marinelli. I figured no matter WHO their preferred DC was, none of them would have a problem with Marinelli unless the systems were just waaay out of whack.... but when you're talking about David Gibbs - that's not a name that you can plug in and expect all the incoming DC interviews to be cool with that.

So - I still held a little bit of hope that even with the early interview of Marinelli, they could have an accomplished name DC... but Gibbs? Come on. They're not fooling anyone!

I'm not at all excited about Bush as the DC, but one positive I can pull from it is that he knows the personnel better than any newcomer would. That's a stretch, I realize - but I don't want to start off having a big problem with the new DC because at this point I'd be SHOCKED if Bush isn't the guy.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #16
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Unless I am mistaken Kubiak, said that the Texans won't start interviewing in earnest until this week. I am missing the connection that one interview with David Gibbs does or not indicate that the Texans have their DC.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #17
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:

Hmmm...I can buy that.

The question, posed by bckey, is: Why don't they just go ahead and announce it? What's the point of hiding it? What in the world do we gain by playing it in this manner?

Is Frank Bush going to be some sort of Defense Quality Control Director or something...the guy who sits with folded arms and keeps watch over the defense?

Can't wait for this to wrap up. This is like watching "24." LOL.
Old 01-12-2009   #18
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm gonna put my trust in McNair/Smith/Kubiak, and know they have a plan and game plan in mind. It's tough when we see these names being thrown around daily, but they might not have been a fit for what the Texans want...at least that's what I'm going to be thinking when I lay my head down tonight.

Old 01-12-2009   #19
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Unless I am mistaken Kubiak, said that the Texans won't start interviewing in earnest until this week. I am missing the connection that one interview with David Gibbs does or not indicate that the Texans have their DC.
But what in the world is Bush still doing here? He was wanted when he was in Arizona. When he became available, he was here. Three defensive coaches got canned, but Frank remains.

I suppose the alternative theory is that Bush is happy with whatever role he'll have with the Texans (be it DC or some other role).
Old 01-12-2009   #20
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I like this interview. He seems like a solid coach.

As far as Frank Bush being the defensive coordinator. I'd be a little disappointed but I wouldn't be upset with the decision. None of us know what he's capable of as far as running a defense.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read