Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-12-2009   #1
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default All eyes on Gregg Williams

"Jeff Duncan wrote in The Times-Picayune that "Houston and Green Bay are already courting [Williams] with equal ardor [as the Saints]. "

http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Housto...Gregg-Williams

With Mike Nolan being hired as the Denver DC, people like Gregg Williams and Sean McDermott are going to be hot names.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #2
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: All eyes on Gregg Williams

To not mention the Titans would be a huge omission when discussing his future. If Jim Schwartz leaves Tennessee, Williams would instantly be the #1 name to go back to the Titans.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #3
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Here is an extremely unflattering piece on Gregg Williams...long article but worth the read...also an ugly tidbit about Steve Jackson too.

Quote:
To simplify matters, and to understand this year's 3-7 record, you have to go back to Gibbs' first comeback year of 2004. On offense, he put his old band together, bringing back coaches Don Breaux, Joe Bugel and Rennie Simmons, all good, loyal, stand-up guys who played huge roles in the Super Bowl years. They were all affable workaholics, and humble, too, but when they returned for Gibbs' second stint, they appeared bumbling and overmatched, stuck in 1983. And from what I'm told, no one felt that more than the defensive coordinator, Gregg Williams.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...t&lid=tab3pos1

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #4
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I've read that article before and it kind of turned me off to the idea of Greg Williams. I would really like to see Jerry Gray get an interview here though. Williams would probaly be a good dc somewhere but I'm not sure he would fit in here. I say Gray or McDermott.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #5
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't want Gregg Williams.

Give me a young guy who's hungry for a shot, a jump up.

Anybody on that Eagles defense is alright to me.

Heck, I'd take the Eagles water boy if he was the only thing left. (that's what VY said...)
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #6
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't read the whole thing, but it is a little humbling. It sure sounds like he would basically jettison all our best players if the time came for it...

The one positive thing is that it seems like with the right personnel, he really gets the defense working. When players believe in him and he has the right guys, he's a top 5 coach. When left to manage the personnel or when he starts disrespecting people, the defense plummets
Old 01-12-2009   #7
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79638 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
To not mention the Titans would be a huge omission when discussing his future. If Jim Schwartz leaves Tennessee, Williams would instantly be the #1 name to go back to the Titans.
After watching the job he did in JAX, I'm not sure any Titan fan wants him back. They were a complete mess this year, and he has to bear responsibility for that, injuries or not.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-12-2009   #8
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto View Post
After watching the job he did in JAX, I'm not sure any Titan fan wants him back. They were a complete mess this year, and he has to bear responsibility for that, injuries or not.
Williams isn't going to suffer at all from his bad year in Jacksonville. His resume speaks for itself.

He was in Jax for one year - with a defensive-minded head coach that he often butted heads with and had big philosophical differences - and he only had one off-season worth of input into defensive personnel - if he even had ANY personnel input.

Also - Jeff Fisher's waaaay too good of a coach to give a rat's ass what the fans in Nashville think about anything. (I know you're not saying he would care, Toronto - just making a point. Fisher has worked with Williams before and they had some VERY successful defenses.)

Anyway - Williams was the first guy I thought of and wanted when Smith got fired - but from many things I've read since, he's fallen pretty far down my list.... just too much stuff about his ego, his attitude, and his system that kind of bug me now.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #9
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13708 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Tacks lose their DC I think Williams will head there unless we just break the bank. I am not sure McNair would do that for an Asst Coach.
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009   #10
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Vinny, I got through about half that link before I started questioning Williams' presence as a good one.

I'm all for anyone from the Eagles defense though....man those guys look good.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read