Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-11-2009   #1
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Broncos hire Josh McDaniels

As their HC... Offensive coordinator for the Pats. I think they are trying to hit a homerun with an unkown like the Ravens and dolphins did this year. And he's only 32 years old.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3826234
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009   #2
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Broncos hire Josh McDaniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
As their HC... Offensive coordinator for the Pats. I think they are trying to hit a homerun with an unkown like the Ravens and dolphins did this year. And he's only 32 years old.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3826234
OK, and here's the thing we should all be thinking of right now. Mike Shanahan being fired in Denver helps Houston. If Josh McDaniels wants to transition to an offense that's a bit more "New England-like" and a bit less like what Denver has been doing for the last decade then we're going to benefit from that because the Broncos are going to be making personnel changes and those players are going to potentially fit what we're doing very well.

We could definitely find some OL depth in this if he starts making big changes to the way they do things.
Old 01-11-2009   #3
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
OK, and here's the thing we should all be thinking of right now. Mike Shanahan being fired in Denver helps Houston. If Josh McDaniels wants to transition to an offense that's a bit more "New England-like" and a bit less like what Denver has been doing for the last decade then we're going to benefit from that because the Broncos are going to be making personnel changes and those players are going to potentially fit what we're doing very well.

We could definitely find some OL depth in this if he starts making big changes to the way they do things.
Exactly what I was thinking. The small, athletic lineman currently employed by the Denver Broncos don't really do all that well in a traditional NFL offense like the one run by NE.

We should have a leg up on whoever is released, because we've got both Kubes and Gibbs here now
Old 01-11-2009   #4
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 51315 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

None of the Patriots assistants have had success any where they have gone. Kinda surprised they still get employed.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009   #5
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

This could be good news for Herm Edwards. With Pioli being the frontrunner for the GM job in Kansas City he would likely look to McDaniels to be the Chiefs head coach. With him off the market that increases Herm's chances of returning as HC.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009   #6
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Interesting to note that the Denver Post is reporting that Dom Capers will be hired in some capacity for the Broncos. I'd imagine he'd be the defensive coordinator, but ESPN is reporting that McDermott is McDaniels' choice for that spot. We'll see.

link
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009   #7
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
None of the Patriots assistants have had success any where they have gone. Kinda surprised they still get employed.
No kidding, The Browns hired former Patriots assistant Mangini to replace former Patriots assistant Crennel. Seems like the Browns would have went another direction but I guess not.

That said, Josh McDaniels did a good job with the Patriots offense this year so I guess we will see how this one and the Mangini hire pans out.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-11-2009   #8
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 51315 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346 View Post
Interesting to note that the Denver Post is reporting that Dom Capers will be hired in some capacity for the Broncos. I'd imagine he'd be the defensive coordinator, but ESPN is reporting that McDermott is McDaniels' choice for that spot. We'll see.

link
Over my cold dead body.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009   #9
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346 View Post

link

Quote:
But Mort points out that McDermott remains under contract for another year, which means that the Eagles can block him from leaving for anything other than a head-coaching job.
pft

I guess we're going have to wait and see how this all unfolds. I would love to have McDermott as the DC here in Houston.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009   #10
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I think most of the problems have been by not having a very strong GM and personnel man. Denver is wanting to get away from one guy in-charge to having a more traditional front office/HC approach.
Old 01-11-2009   #11
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Denver hires a coach

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6205922.html
It looks like we survived another hiring. I still like Romeo Crenell. I think he can coach any system, depending on the players he has and he has an excellent background as a DC. Gray could be the Man also, and maybe that would be a good thing. I don't have my heart set on a DC, I'm just thankful it isn't Richard Smith. For thr moent that gives me high hopes for next season.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009   #12
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 152954 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Denver hires a coach

I cringe every time someone younger than me is hired as a head coach. A 32 year old? Sheesh.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009   #13
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 31526 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

Gives me a moneymaker idea for a new sitcom--think along the lines of Doogie Howser, HC.
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #14
dbspi
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 dbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdbspi is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Mike Nolan is hired to be Broncos DC.
dbspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #15
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Hmmm...this makes the Cassel situation more interesting. I expected him to follow McDaniels, but not with Jay Cutler already at the helm at QB. Maybe the Niners could sign him.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #16
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
Hmmm...this makes the Cassel situation more interesting. I expected him to follow McDaniels, but not with Jay Cutler already at the helm at QB. Maybe the Niners could sign him.
Cassel was franchised wasn't he?

Niners would have to trade for him.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #17
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando View Post
pft

I guess we're going have to wait and see how this all unfolds. I would love to have McDermott as the DC here in Houston.
I don't understand how they can keep a Defensive Backs coach from getting promoted to being a Defensive Coordinator.

If an orginization can do that then the owners need to consider changing that.

Sure, it helps limit the losses of succesful coaching staffs, but it also limits the advancement of deserving candidates.

I remember the Cardinals blocked the Texans from hiring Frank Bush as a Defensive Coordinator, but I thought it was because he was already serving as a Defensive Coordinator for the Cardinals, and therefore it would be a lateral move.

If he wasn't a DC then that stinks as much as the Eagles potentially blocking McDermott's advancement.
Old 01-12-2009   #18
dsorc
Veteran

Rep Power: 7032 dsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respecteddsorc is a quality contributor and well respected

So the Broncos have hired McDaniels, Capers and Nolan. It seems from the coaches chosen that they will be switching to a 3-4 soon. That defense needed to be overhauled anyways but this might be a drastic change in personnel.
dsorc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #19
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Cassel was franchised wasn't he?

Niners would have to trade for him.
I haven't heard anything about him being franchised yet.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #20
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 152954 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
I haven't heard anything about him being franchised yet.
Looks like they're going to have to, though. Brady's injury is just strange and he won't be ready to go next season.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read