Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-09-2009   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Final AP college Football rankings for the 2008 season

1. Florida 13-1 1,606
2. Utah 13-0 1,519
3. USC 12-1 1,481
4. Texas 12-1 1,478
5. Oklahoma 12-2 1,391
6. Alabama 12-2 1,264
7. TCU 11-2 1,193
8. Penn State 11-2 1,153
9. Ohio State 10-3 1,013
10. Oregon 10-3 997
11. Boise State 12-1 938
12. Texas Tech 11-2 916
13. Georgia 10-3 903
14. Mississippi 9-4 857
15. Virginia Tech 10-4 712
16. Oklahoma State 9-4 534
17. Cincinnati 11-3 506
18. Oregon State 9-4 467
19. Missouri 10-4 435
20. Iowa 9-4 317
21. Florida State 9-4 246
22. Georgia Tech 9-4 223
23. West Virginia 9-4 144
24. Michigan State 9-4 138
25. BYU 10-3 137
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3820715
If you saw the Cotton Bowl, you saw Ole Miss stomp the dog-dung out of Tech. Right ? So I dunno how Tech can be ranked ahead of Ole Miss just a few days after the football-world witnessed that azz-stompin ?
Frankely I can't stand USC and the special treatment they receive by everybody from the NCAA to ESPN, but they were the most impressive team I saw during the bowl season and I would rank them #1 but they got the top 3 right IMO whatever their order.
And the Big 12 really stunk it up. They are definitely not one of the top 2 conferences in the county. I dunno, are they even the third best ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009   #2
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 103337 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Final AP college Football rankings for the 2008 season

Should Ole Miss be #1 since they beat Florida?

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009   #3
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont think Oklahoma should fall so far. They were in a close game with a great freakin team in the 4th quarter. I just dont think they should fall to 5th.
Old 01-09-2009   #4
ESAD2-14
TexanAmerican

Rep Power: 19109 ESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
I dont think Oklahoma should fall so far. They were in a close game with a great freakin team in the 4th quarter. I just dont think they should fall to 5th.
There is no reason they should be ranked in front of any of the teams that are in front of them though. They lost to Fla and UT, Utah is undefeated, and USC only has one loss and a boatload of media favoritism support.
Old 01-09-2009   #5
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

They have more losses than the 4 teams in front of them. Seems fair to me
Old 01-09-2009   #6
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Frogs at 7...yes!
Old 01-09-2009   #7
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESAD2-14 View Post
There is no reason they should be ranked in front of any of the teams that are in front of them though. They lost to Fla and UT, Utah is undefeated, and USC only has one loss and a boatload of media favoritism support.
I agree on Utah, but they were number 2 in the nation, and traded blow for blow. Sorry, but they should have finished 3rd. USC is always gonna be ranked ahead of where it should, and UT really didnt impress me in there bowl game.
Old 01-09-2009   #8
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

The BCS system is complete garbage, for obvious reasons.
Old 01-09-2009   #9
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
The BCS system is complete garbage, for obvious reasons.
Amen. The only way it changes is if the Pete Carrols and MMack Browns of the world turn down BCS bids when they feel they have a gripe. When your money makers wont play in your game, then they will do something.
Old 01-09-2009   #10
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

BCS is garbage. but has the right acronym Bunch of Chicken Sh*T

It was a great season for UT when they weren't supposed to be there. so to finish within the top 5 is awesome

on a side note I should have guessed that no matter what UT did, they would drop based on their opponent at #10 and the other BCS games the we had #7 versus #4 and number #5 versus #6

Oh well, until the old blood leaves and new blood comes in, the system will not change
with that said
no matter what, the only thing that matters is who is the nat champ .. great season Florida, you beat some quality teams this year and deserve it!!
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009   #11
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87506 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Figures that the rankings would be correct when there aren't any more games to play...the BCS needs to go the way of the do-do bird.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009   #12
gwallaia

Rep Power: 68496 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Frogs at 7...yes!
Great season for TCU.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009   #13
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't really have too many problems with those rankings, I love seeing us up to #14!!

Then again I think if Ole Miss played Texas Tech's schedule, we'd be 11-2 as well.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009   #14
DiapHer
GO BIG RED!!!

Rep Power: 292 DiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respectedDiapHer is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
1. Florida 13-1 1,606
2. Utah 13-0 1,519
3. USC 12-1 1,481
4. Texas 12-1 1,478
5. Oklahoma 12-2 1,391
6. Alabama 12-2 1,264
7. TCU 11-2 1,193
8. Penn State 11-2 1,153
9. Ohio State 10-3 1,013
10. Oregon 10-3 997
11. Boise State 12-1 938
12. Texas Tech 11-2 916
13. Georgia 10-3 903
14. Mississippi 9-4 857
15. Virginia Tech 10-4 712
16. Oklahoma State 9-4 534
17. Cincinnati 11-3 506
18. Oregon State 9-4 467
19. Missouri 10-4 435
20. Iowa 9-4 317
21. Florida State 9-4 246
22. Georgia Tech 9-4 223
23. West Virginia 9-4 144
24. Michigan State 9-4 138
25. BYU 10-3 137
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3820715
If you saw the Cotton Bowl, you saw Ole Miss stomp the dog-dung out of Tech. Right ? So I dunno how Tech can be ranked ahead of Ole Miss just a few days after the football-world witnessed that azz-stompin ?
Frankely I can't stand USC and the special treatment they receive by everybody from the NCAA to ESPN, but they were the most impressive team I saw during the bowl season and I would rank them #1 but they got the top 3 right IMO whatever their order.
And the Big 12 really stunk it up. They are definitely not one of the top 2 conferences in the county. I dunno, are they even the third best ?

The BIG XII NORTH went 3-0 and scored more and allowed less than they did in conference play.
Old 01-09-2009   #15
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree on Utah, but they were number 2 in the nation, and traded blow for blow. Sorry, but they should have finished 3rd. USC is always gonna be ranked ahead of where it should, and UT really didnt impress me in there bowl game.
You don't seriously think that Oklahoma should be ranked higher than Texas do you? That would be outrageous.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009   #16
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapHer View Post
The BIG XII NORTH went 3-0 and scored more and allowed less than they did in conference play.
Big 12 North didn't really play anybody. I mean who are NW & Minn ?
I dunno for sure, but usually when people say Big 12 they really mean Big 12South and the core of the South is TX, T-T, OK, & OK-State of which all but Texas got beat pretty handily and TX was fortunate to win in the last few seconds against an OSU team that was manned by dubious talent.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009   #17
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
You don't seriously think that Oklahoma should be ranked higher than Texas do you? That would be outrageous.
Texas didnt really look all that impressive vs an average at best OSU. OU was in a dog fight with a really good Florida team. Sure, rank em higher. If it helps, I think USC should be 5th, behind Fla, Utah, OU,and UT.
Old 01-09-2009   #18
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Texas didnt really look all that impressive vs an average at best OSU. OU was in a dog fight with a really good Florida team. Sure, rank em higher. If it helps, I think USC should be 5th, behind Fla, Utah, OU,and UT.
So OU wins the Big XII tiebreaker because their entire body of work is better and that overrides UT's head-to-head win. So we concentrate on the whole body of work.

Now UT's body of work is better, plus the head-to-head win, but you only want to concentrate on the bowl games?

No sir. Texas beat OU and finished with less losses. They took care of business in their bowl game against the #10 team in the country. An ugly win is still a win. OU didn't take care of business.
Old 01-09-2009   #19
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
So OU wins the Big XII tiebreaker because their entire body of work is better and that overrides UT's head-to-head win. So we concentrate on the whole body of work.

Now UT's body of work is better, plus the head-to-head win, but you only want to concentrate on the bowl games?

No sir. Texas beat OU and finished with less losses. They took care of business in their bowl game against the #10 team in the country. An ugly win is still a win. OU didn't take care of business.
Fine, put them in any order you want. OSU should have been up 21-0 in the 1st quarter but thats cool. ANd ranmking OSU # 10 was a very kind ranking. That isnt a good team.
Old 01-09-2009   #20
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Fine, put them in any order you want. OSU should have been up 21-0 in the 1st quarter but thats cool. ANd ranmking OSU # 10 was a very kind ranking. That isnt a good team.
OU should have been up big on Florida at halftime too. I didn't know the rankings were done on the woulda, coulda, shouldas. I thought they were based on the results on the field.

OSU's only losses were to teams that played in BCS bowls. They are a top 10 defense. Their offense is run by an 18 year old and their future NFL RB that they based that offense around was injured for a big portion of the year.

You don't think they are the 10th best team in the country? That's fine. There is evidence you could probably find to support that.

But how are they not even a good team?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read