Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-09-2009   #1
dansby21

Default Who would you want?

If the Texans had a choice between: Brown DE, Orakpo DE, Mays S, Johnson DE, are Davis CB. Who would you want?

Personally I wouldnt mind Johnson at DE on a pass rush followed by Diles and Adibi. Would love to implement a "balls to the wall" gambling type of defense.

PS: Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No more prevent defense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2009   #2
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Who would you want?

Orakpo DE
Old 01-09-2009   #3
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Tough one.

Of all those, I think Orakpo has the most potential upside - but I think Mays is the closest thing to a sure thing... so I vote:

Taylor Mays.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009   #4
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 118532 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

My list out of those would be:

1. Orakpo
2. Johnson
3. Mays
4. Brown
5. Davis

I don't like Davis at all.
Brown is undersized, and would be a liability against the run.
Mays is more of an elite athlete than an elite playmaker.
Johnson is an interesiting prospect who can dominate against the run, and pass any time he wants to.
Orakpo is a solid all around player, and hard worker, who can be an elite pass rusher.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009   #5
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm starting to prefer Brown over Orakpo. People knock his size as a 4-3 DE, but he's about the same as Jason Taylor.

Still, Taylor Mays over both. Dude is a centerfielder and a headhunter. If we got Mays I'd trade up to get Greg Hardy.
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 291737 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Anyone who can help us get a coverage sack would be nice
Old 01-09-2009   #7
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 118532 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone18 View Post
I'm starting to prefer Brown over Orakpo. People knock his size as a 4-3 DE, but he's about the same as Jason Taylor.
Taylor played at 260+ before Miami switched to a 3-4, and moved him to OLB. He went to Washington and stunk as a DE at that weight.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-09-2009   #8
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 72911 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Anyone who can help us get a coverage sack would be nice
Thats the problem with Mays. He's not known for being great in coverage. He's more of a headhunter or enforcer than a cover guy.
Old 01-09-2009   #9
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Im gonna say Brown. Orkapoo scares me. UT guys dont have the best track record in recent years, Mays is another one that Im not fond of. Just a feeling.
Old 01-09-2009   #10
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Tough one. For me it depends on who the new DC is. I have heartburn with all these players. I really like Sean McDermott from the Eagles. Let's pretend he's the new DC... I could see him taking a S like Mays b/c he uses safety blitzes a decent amount and Mays would instantly be our best safety. But Brown could be a good possibility. If he's convinced Brown could play 4-3 OLB and then bring him up to the line on passing downs as a 5th linemen or something.

How is E. Brown in coverage as a part time LB?
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009   #11
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 200878 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Tough one. For me it depends on who the new DC is. I have heartburn with all these players. I really like Sean McDermott from the Eagles. Let's pretend he's the new DC... I could see him taking a S like Mays b/c he uses safety blitzes a decent amount and Mays would instantly be our best safety. But Brown could be a good possibility. If he's convinced Brown could play 4-3 OLB and then bring him up to the line on passing downs as a 5th linemen or something.

How is E. Brown in coverage as a part time LB?
I think it boils down to this .

1. Taylor Mays S
2. Matt Schaunessy DE

or

1. Everette Brown
2. Patrick Chung

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009   #12
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125033 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Michael JOhnson has a lot of motivational issues and lacks effort a lot.

That is what all the write ups say any way. He seems to have a strong reputation for taking plays off.

I don't want a guy like that.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009   #13
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107872 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I think it boils down to this .

1. Taylor Mays S
2. Matt Schaunessy DE

or

1. Everette Brown
2. Patrick Chung
Yup

Give me Brown & Chung

Orakpo is to injury prone for my taste.

I love Mays but the drop off between Brown & Shaunessy is far greater than the dropoff between Mays & Chung

If Raji is there & Marinelli is the DL coach I think Smithiak will strongly consider him also.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009   #14
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 200878 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Michael JOhnson has a lot of motivational issues and lacks effort a lot.

That is what all the write ups say any way. He seems to have a strong reputation for taking plays off.

I don't want a guy like that.
I've read where he can't keep his weight on either .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009   #15
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Everette Brown
Taylor Mays
Vontae Davis
Brian Orakpo
Michael Johnson
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009   #16
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104914 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Im gonna say Brown. Orkapoo scares me. UT guys dont have the best track record in recent years, Mays is another one that Im not fond of. Just a feeling.
Pretty much every guy that was on the 05 championship team besides VY and Huff has played well in the NFL. Orakpo was on that team.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009   #17
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Pretty much every guy that was on the 05 championship team besides VY and Huff has played well in the NFL. Orakpo was on that team.
Was'nt Okam? UT guys in the 1st round have been very iffy the last 5ish years. Im not just making this up. Roy Williams, Ced Bensen, VY, Huff, even Shaun Rodgers is inconsistant. Their guys who were taken later are the gems.
Old 01-09-2009   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Tough one.

Of all those, I think Orakpo has the most potential upside - but I think Mays is the closest thing to a sure thing... so I vote:

Taylor Mays.
I'd go Orakpo thinking that as a DE he could disrupt a pass or aid in stopping the run. I really like Mays and agree with your assessment as a "sure thing". As noted, If Mays is at 15 I think we can work a trade down and get a 3rd and a 6th or better. I would take trade over Mays but am unsure if trade is worth more to me than Orakpo.
Old 01-09-2009   #19
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104914 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Was'nt Okam? UT guys in the 1st round have been very iffy the last 5ish years. Im not just making this up. Roy Williams, Ced Bensen, VY, Huff, even Shaun Rodgers is inconsistant. Their guys who were taken later are the gems.
Okam hasn't been given a chance yet. It's too early to grade him.

Roy Williams was the best player on terrible teams for years with Detroit. Didn't get much help at QB.

I will give you Benson. Plus i already mentioned VY and Huff. Benson looked good for the Bengals late this year, but that isn't enough to override the beginning of his career.

Rodgers is inconsistent, but he is a good player. Nobody doubts that.

Aaron Ross is a good player for the Giants. Michael Griffin is one of the best players on an awesome Titans defense.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

if Marinelli is hired as D-Line coach precedent was made last year with Gibbs, that the Texans will address the line with bpa given the bpv (best possible value). meaning if their #1 linemen isn't still on the board @ #15 they trade down & draft a player with measureables, package of skills, mental make-up & athletic ability to fit the scheme he wants to implant here in Houston.

evaluations will commence of current roster, gaps to fill, whats missing in coaching or skill technique/scheme. TJ could become more disruptive, its not uncommon that DT's take time to develop not to mention this will be his third scheme change in four years. similar situation with Amobi going into year three in his second scheme adjustment. Players like Deljuan Robinson, Tim Bulman & Jesse Nading flashed upside.

last but not least Mario Williams, drafted to play RDE, versatile to play either side, requiring double teams. draft a freakish compliment with both size & speed who can flip as well would give the Texans excellent depth, flexability & talent across the DL. so I would suggest none of the above. instead trade down & draft Greg Hardy late 1st rd. & pick up another Steve Slaton in the 3rd. thereby addressing needs on both sides of the ball then everyone can be happy
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read