Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-08-2009   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Cold Hard Football Facts on the Houston Texans

Here's an interview you might want to check out:

The 'Cold, Hard Football Facts' on the Houston Texans

I did an interview with the founder of The Cold Hard Football Facts site and asked him about the team. Interesting stuff, at least to me.
Old 01-08-2009   #2
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Cold Hard Football Facts on the Houston Texans

Quote:
To bring it around to the example of the Texans, they learned full well the difficulty of scheduling this year: the Texans faced nine Quality Opponents this year, more than any other team in the AFC. Obviously, playing the Titans and Colts four times is quite a challenge. But Houston also faced Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Miami, Minnesota and Chicago. That's a tough, tough slate to overcome. The Texans were 3-6 in these nine games."
What I found most interesting, besides the part where we make everyone look like Joe Montana flinging the pigskin.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #3
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 152954 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Good interview. I found this bit to be interesting:

Quote:
The big team-wide issue, however, makes we wonder about Gary Kubiak himself. We measure the offensive and defensive efficiency of each team with our Scoreability and Bendability Indices. The key to these stats is that they don't measure individual units in a vacuum because, quite frankly, individual units (offense, defense, special teams) don't play in a vacuum. The success of one is impacted by the success of the other.

So our indices take all these team-wide factors into consideration, and the Texans here don't measure up particularly well. The Texans were 25th in our Scoreability Index and 27th in our Bendability Index in 2008.

Generally, what you find when teams fare poorly in this efficiency categories, is that they have some combination of the following: a lot of penalties, a bad turnover differential, poor red zone offense and/or defense and poor special teams. I bet if you look at Houston this past year, they struggled in most of these areas. In other words, one unit often made life difficult for the other this year.

[Steph note: The Texans have bad turnover differential, poor red zone offense and defense, average special teams and usually aren't overly penalized.]

And that spells trouble and that's often a reflection of poor fundamentals and/or poor coaching. The team needs to tighten up its act and play together better to become a contender
Of course, y'all know I'm the lone "fire Kubiak" campaigner, but that sums up a lot of what's at issue.

Interesting indexes/ways of measuring football success on Cold Hard Facts.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #4
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
What I found most interesting, besides the part where we make everyone look like Joe Montana flinging the pigskin.
Those two parts I thought were particularly interesting.
Old 01-08-2009   #5
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
Good interview. I found this bit to be interesting:

Of course, y'all know I'm the lone "fire Kubiak" campaigner, but that sums up a lot of what's at issue.

Interesting indexes/ways of measuring football success on Cold Hard Facts.
Have you ever seen Kubiak give a speech in person?

The reason I ask is that I found that people who have seen him speak in person tend to be bigger fans than those who watch a thump the podium presser.

His players from most reports really seem to like and respect him, and if you see him speak in person, you can see why. He isn't the most smooth or slick speaker in the world, but he comes across as a genuine guy who would like nothing more than bringing a Super Bowl trophy to his home town. His desire might not be enough, but you have to acknowledge some progress with this team.

People who hear him speak want to run through a brick wall for him. I saw his first public speech to a large group. It was the draft luncheon after the Texans picked Mario. The crowd was packed, most of those people thought when they bought the tickets that they were going to be hearing about Reggie Bush.

He was able to get that group of people, most of them shocked or mad about the Mario choice, on his side, not being able to wait for the season to begin.

It's something for someone in the coaching bidness to have never been fired. An accomplishment of a sort. Bronco fans still love Kubiak, which a lot of fans can't say about their offensive coordinators or ex-players.

For example, check out this fan article about Kubiak....who wore the number...8!!!!!
Old 01-08-2009   #6
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 152954 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

The reason I ask is that I found that people who have seen him speak in person tend to be bigger fans than those who watch a thump the podium presser.

His players from most reports really seem to like and respect him, and if you see him speak in person, you can see why. He isn't the most smooth or slick speaker in the world, but he comes across as a genuine guy who would like nothing more than bringing a Super Bowl trophy to his home town. His desire might not be enough, but you have to acknowledge some progress with this team.

People who hear him speak want to run through a brick wall for him. I saw his first public speech to a large group. It was the draft luncheon after the Texans picked Mario. The crowd was packed, most of those people thought when they bought the tickets that they were going to be hearing about Reggie Bush.

He was able to get that group of people, most of them shocked or mad about the Mario choice, on his side, not being able to wait for the season to begin.

It's something for someone in the coaching bidness to have never been fired. An accomplishment of a sort. Bronco fans still love Kubiak, which a lot of fans can't say about their offensive coordinators or ex-players.

For example, check out this fan article about Kubiak....who wore the number...8!!!!!
Kubiak might be a great GUY. But a great HEAD COACH? My jury is still out on that one. He's made plenty of bone-headed decisions during games that have nothing to do with how affable he is.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
Old 01-08-2009   #7
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Do not try to change Jen's mind about Kubiak!

She will stab you!

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-08-2009   #8
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Kubiak might be a great GUY. But a great HEAD COACH? My jury is still out on that one. He's made plenty of bone-headed decisions during games that have nothing to do with how affable he is.
I can say that the jury is still out on how Kubiak will be as a head coach. His team seems to rally behind him, which isn't a bad thing. Having the jury out on something is different than suggesting he needs to be canned.

For the work I do on FanHouse, we have a NFL googlegroup where we call stories. First one to call a story gets it. And we also joke and complain in the thread.

It is interesting to hear from fans of other NFL franchises. Everyone seems to beyotch about their coach's clock management and various boneheaded decisions.
Old 01-08-2009   #9
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Do not try to change Jen's mind about Kubiak!

She will stab you!
In the face. WITH FIRE.

Old 01-08-2009   #10
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
In the face. WITH FIRE.
Seems a little redundant.

Bring it.
Old 01-08-2009   #11
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 243703 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
I can say that the jury is still out on how Kubiak will be as a head coach. His team seems to rally behind him, which isn't a bad thing. Having the jury out on something is different than suggesting he needs to be canned.

For the work I do on FanHouse, we have a NFL googlegroup where we call stories. First one to call a story gets it. And we also joke and complain in the thread.

It is interesting to hear from fans of other NFL franchises. Everyone seems to beyotch about their coach's clock management and various boneheaded decisions.
Surely ours is the worst! /sarcasm
Old 01-08-2009   #12
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182216 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

QUOTE=Texans_Chick;1094171]Seems a little redundant.

Bring it. :texans chick

Cat Fight
Old 01-08-2009   #13
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Thing is - I don't even disagree with Jen - I just don't think he should be fired.

Quote:
In the face. WITH FIRE.
See... now that's just awesome. LOLOL

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #14
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Right. If you watch enough football you'll see boneheaded moves everywhere. Even the best teams make them.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #15
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I loved how Jeff Fisher was the devil after choosing not to kick 50 yards into the wind here in Houston.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #16
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Going to the "Have you ever..." card? Come on. A lot of us don't have the time to go to the luncheons or other Texans events where Kubiak speaks. It's tough enough to make time to watch the team play on Sunday, be it at Reliant or on the tube. And it's still the games that count.

Maybe the team would run through a wall for Kubiak. But if that wall happens to be in the red zone, my money is on the wall. And I've seen the podium thumping Kubiak too many times to completely dismiss the possibility of that side of Gary's persona never showing itself in front of the team.

Good guy? Yes. Loves our city? Absolutely. Has helped this franchise through a very difficult transition period? You betcha. Good head coach? Um...not yet. The cold, hard football fact that interests me is that Gary Kubiak must lead the 2009 Houston Texans into the NFL playoffs. I don't see him talking his way out of that.
Old 01-08-2009   #17
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78862 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Going to the "Have you ever..." card? Come on. A lot of us don't have the time to go to the luncheons or other Texans events where Kubiak speaks. It's tough enough to make time to watch the team play on Sunday, be it at Reliant or on the tube. And it's still the games that count.

Maybe the team would run through a wall for Kubiak. But if that wall happens to be in the red zone, my money is on the wall. And I've seen the podium thumping Kubiak too many times to completely dismiss the possibility of that side of Gary's persona never showing itself in front of the team.

Good guy? Yes. Loves our city? Absolutely. Has helped this franchise through a very difficult transition period? You betcha. Good head coach? Um...not yet. The cold, hard football fact that interests me is that Gary Kubiak must lead the 2009 Houston Texans into the NFL playoffs. I don't see him talking his way out of that.
If the team goes 10-6 or 11-5 next year, but still doesn't make the playoffs, like the Patriots did this year, he'll talk his way out of it just fine.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009   #18
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 108211 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

steph you are far and away the best sports writer in houston.

Last edited by Scooter; 01-09-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009   #19
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94431 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post
I loved how Jeff Fisher was the devil after choosing not to kick 50 yards into the wind here in Houston.
What are yo talking about???????? He was a saint for doint dat.......
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009   #20
superdave532
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 superdave532 was voted MVPsuperdave532 was voted MVPsuperdave532 was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
If the team goes 10-6 or 11-5 next year, but still doesn't make the playoffs, like the Patriots did this year, he'll talk his way out of it just fine.
Always a possibility in the AFC, especially in the AFC South..
superdave532 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read