Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-08-2009   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans offseason rumors thread

I did a search and didn't see anything pull up so,if I missed it. mods please merge

Fred Stamps-Edmonton receiver
Quote:
Edmonton still has receivers Fred Stamps and Maurice Mann, but both are also eligible to return to the NFL. Stamps may already have a tryout with the Houston Texans.
http://www.canada.com/topics/news/na...tml?id=1155675

http://www.cfl.ca/roster/show/id/981
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #2
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans offseason rumors thread

Here's you one:

The way we hear it, the feeling in Houston is that the Texans’ window to trade QB Sage Rosenfels likely has closed. The Vikings reportedly had interest in Rosenfels last offseason, but no deal came together. With Rosenfels entering the final year of his contract — and coming off a season in which he threw 10 interceptions in 174 attempts — there may not be a robust market for the streaky quarterback. A source close to the club notes the Texans might not have much interest in trading Rosenfels as it is, what with starter Matt Schaub failing to play all 16 games in each of his first two seasons in Houston.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...apup010409.htm
Old 01-12-2009   #3
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

just a collumn folks and rambling

and wont' EVER happen

but interesting
Quote:
When asked if, ideally, he'd like to be back in Carolina next season, Peppers replied, "Ideally I want to be in the best situation possible for myself and this organization.

"I'm thankful for everything they've done for me and I don't want to leave them crippled or in a bad situation and I don't want to do that to myself either. So whatever works our best for both sides is what I'm comfortable with."
Quote:
Attempts to reach Panthers general manager Marty Hurney to discuss the matter were unsuccessful, but he doesn't talk about contract negotiations as a form of policy.

Keep in mind the Panthers don't have a first-round pick entering this year's April's NFL draft. They gave that up to Philadelphia to get tackle Jeff Otah. You'd have to believe the Panthers would accept nothing less than a first-round draft pick in exchange for Peppers.

Of course, the Panthers would have the option to accept or decline any trade offer Carey brings to the table, and it's unlikely if this were to come to fruition that he'd go anywhere in the NFC South. Peppers seems to like the Houston area, so the Texans are certainly an option. Imagine Peppers playing opposite former North Carolina State star Mario Williams?
http://www.gastongazette.com/sports/...hers_want.html

I would give up anthony weaver and a 1st LOL

Last edited by Wolf; 01-12-2009 at 01:09 AM.
Old 01-12-2009   #4
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
Extra points

The Texans hope to re-sign cornerback Dunta Robinson, whose original five-year contract has expired. If they can't sign him before the start of free agency, there's a chance they'll slap the franchise tag on him, thereby guaranteeing that he's with the team for the 2009 season ... The Texans are expected to work out an extension for linebacker DeMeco Ryans, who still has one year remaining on his contract ...
http://www.newsday.com/sports/footba...,7613850.story
Old 01-12-2009   #5
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post

and wont' EVER happen

but interesting

Nice find, makes for some interesting (wet) dreams. A 1 and a 3 for Peppers similar to the Jared Allen deal last season would likely be appealing to quite a few teams. There is probably slim chance of that happening here but fun to think about. Hows the guy know he likes Houston?
Old 01-12-2009   #6
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94431 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post

and wont' EVER happen

but interesting

I say lets bring Peppers home. Well this should be his home anyway. We should of drafted him instead of Mittens. THe absolute worst decision this franchise has ever made.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #7
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4661 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected

how old is Peppers?
Sponsored links
Old 01-12-2009   #8
superdave532
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 superdave532 was voted MVPsuperdave532 was voted MVPsuperdave532 was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew6 View Post
how old is Peppers?
Turning 29 in a week or so.
superdave532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #9
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew6 View Post
how old is Peppers?
Born on 1/18/1980. No way I give up a high first round pick for a guy 1 step away from 30.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #10
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Please DO NOT franchise Robinson, no way that Dunta deserves anything like top 5 CB money. He wasn't even top 5 quality before the injury and we haven't seen him come all the way back yet.

I understand that Robinson is part of the soul of the team but you can't pay out the patootie for senitmental value!!
Old 01-12-2009   #11
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

no it's actually quite smart. it's a 1 year insurance policy to assess his value after a full training camp and season. you needn't worry about the "cost". we have the cap space for it and it would be the best way to handle it. it's not like after 2009 we'd be required to pay him that same anual salary for another 4 years. at that point we would negotiate a new contract based much more accurately on his value.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #12
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94431 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
Born on 1/18/1980. No way I give up a high first round pick for a guy 1 step away from 30.
Youre crazy!!!! I would give our 1st and 3rd for Peppers.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #13
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Please DO NOT franchise Robinson, no way that Dunta deserves anything like top 5 CB money. He wasn't even top 5 quality before the injury and we haven't seen him come all the way back yet.

I understand that Robinson is part of the soul of the team but you can't pay out the patootie for senitmental value!!

I regretfully agree. Based on the interview I saw after the Chicago game, Dunta seems to think he is worth more than the Texans are going to want to pay him.

If it's a split, I hope it's an amicable one.
Old 01-12-2009   #14
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post
I regretfully agree. Based on the interview I saw after the Chicago game, Dunta seems to think he is worth more than the Texans are going to want to pay him.

Guys, I understand what you're saying but barrett seems to have a much better grasp of the situation. It's one year and nobody says we're obligated to reach an extended contract with Dunta after that. You pay him the big salary for one season to see if he's all the way back and how he plays in whatever scheme our next DC uses and then look at it again next season. This situation with Dunta is a perfect example of how to use the franchise tag wisely. Everybody wins this way. The Texans get to put off any long-term decision for a year and don't get forced into paying for a replacement immediatly. Dunta gets to be paid like the corner he feels he is (at least this year). What's not to like?
Old 01-12-2009   #15
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Oak View Post

I listened to him and got exactly the opposite impression. To me he seemed like a guy who knew he wasn't at 100% and wasn't going to act like he was, much less act like he was a pro-bowler at 100% when he has never gone to the pro-bowl.
Old 01-12-2009   #16
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 127251 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Dunta is a difference maker. Extend him or franchise him. He's worth it.
Old 01-12-2009   #17
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 160 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
Dunta is a difference maker. Extend him or franchise him. He's worth it.
Agreed, easy...

People have to understand the leadership and motivational qualities of a player like Dunta. He is also my Favorite Texan and I selfishly want himn to stay.

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009   #18
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesmanTexanfan View Post
Agreed, easy...

People have to understand the leadership and motivational qualities of a player like Dunta. He is also my Favorite Texan and I selfishly want himn to stay.
IMO, Dunta will be here next season. I don't think it'll be for top 10 CB money either. He was an average CB after a horrific injury last season. What team would offer up that kind of jack for an unproven commodity (post-injury)?

Let him shop around to determine his worth. If it's reasonable, match it. If not, let him walk if he so chooses.

I like Dunta a lot, but I'm not willing to overpay for his services.
Old 01-12-2009   #19
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
Luckily, we have a Mid first round pick. And if we could get Weaver off our hands as a bonus, I'm all for it.
Old 01-12-2009   #20
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Guys, I understand what you're saying but barrett seems to have a much better grasp of the situation. It's one year and nobody says we're obligated to reach an extended contract with Dunta after that. You pay him the big salary for one season to see if he's all the way back and how he plays in whatever scheme our next DC uses and then look at it again next season. This situation with Dunta is a perfect example of how to use the franchise tag widely. Everybody wins this way. The Texans get to put off any long-term decision for a year and don't get forced into paying for a replacement immediatly. Dunta gets to be paid like the corner he feels he is (at least this year). What's not to like?
I get what your saying and I feel like NFL organizations view more similarly to this than how fans, like myself do. The thing that gets me is that the entire amount is guaranteed money (except if the player and team reach a long term deal, I think). Which the money would be prorated in some way? Anyways, in that case I think it may be worth it.

However, for simplicity purposes, let's pretend they go ahead and make him a 3 year offer worth $12 million ($9 million guranteed with $1 million salary each year). It's usually structured way different (in the teams favor anyway) so this is just to be simple. Randall Gay got a 4-year, $14mill deal with like $4 million guaranteed last year.

So, would a player in Dunta's situation pass up this deal? To me, the Franchise Tag seems really good from a players perspective but they always seem to dislike it. With a deal in place like this, the team has him locked down for 3 years, and if they end up cutting him... they're out less total and per year, than the whole franchise tag.

In Dunta's case, I think the use of the Franchise Tag would be similar to how you've suggested. Not because his PLAY is worth top 5 cb money, but b/c they want an extra year to evaluate him, be fair, and because Dunta may mean more to this team how he is... than a top CB like Clements. His overall value may be worth that money.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read