Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-08-2009   #1
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Marinelli Interviews w/Texans, Signs w/Bears

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6200476.html

I hope this goes nowhere. The last thing we need is ANOTHER 1st time DC, especially one coming off of an 0-16 HC effort.
Old 01-08-2009   #2
Polo

Default Re: Marinelli Interviewing with the Texans

Ummm....

I wouldn't be too pissed with him...
Old 01-08-2009   #3
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm sure he would work wonders with the Dline though...

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #4
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

I would like to have him as the DL coach.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #5
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

We're not necessarily looking at him for the DC postion, nor is he looking to be a DC this year. He was a very respected D Line Coach when he got the job at Detroit. I wouldn't be at all upset if we hired him as a DL coach.

Regardless, at least the Texans are starting to interview people, and he's just the first.

Last edited by 4Texans; 01-08-2009 at 12:31 PM.
4Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #6
Polo

Does this mean that he's one of our top prospects?
Old 01-08-2009   #7
pittbull3
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 pittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden cover

I think he would be a good addition. Some guys are meant to be coord, and I think he will realize that. I also think he is a class guy, with the way he handled the entire Detroit thing. Awesome they way he did that. Would love to just have a conversation with him about all of that mess.
Old 01-08-2009   #8
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

He's a great defensive minded coach and he's really got good connections with his players. I'd love this hiring for DL coach or maybe co-DC
Old 01-08-2009   #9
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittbull3 View Post
I think he would be a good addition. Some guys are meant to be coord, and I think he will realize that. I also think he is a class guy, with the way he handled the entire Detroit thing. Awesome they way he did that. Would love to just have a conversation with him about all of that mess.
I agree...
Old 01-08-2009   #10
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

If they're interviewing him as DL coach, that would be cool. If we were going to go with a 1st time DC, I'd just as soon it be Bush. He was the guy Kubes wanted in the 1st place, so maybe he has what it takes.
Old 01-08-2009   #11
pittbull3
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 pittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
He's a great defensive minded coach and he's really got good connections with his players. I'd love this hiring for DL coach or maybe co-DC
That's exactly what the Texans need. Someone to build a relationship with his defensive players and create accountability. Too much distance between millionaire coaches and players. We already have a laxed atmosphere in houston to begin with. I know players that left and went to other teams, and they said Houston is the best team in the league to chill at. No stress, big check, low accountability, and treated like kings by the organization. All that is good, but they have yet to create the family atmosphere, to want to succeed for their brothers on the field, and make it happen for their "papa", position coach.
Old 01-08-2009   #12
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
If they're interviewing him as DL coach, that would be cool. If we were going to go with a 1st time DC, I'd just as soon it be Bush. He was the guy Kubes wanted in the 1st place, so maybe he has what it takes.
Ive said it a few times, but it is worth repeating. No coach from on staff deserves the DC. That was a lack-luster game plan/scheme run for three years. Time for some new.
Old 01-08-2009   #13
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Texans View Post
We're not necessarily looking at him for the DC postion, nor is he looking to be a DC this year. He was a very respected D Line Coach when he got the job at Detroit. I wouldn't be at all upset if we hired him as a DL coach.

Regardless, at least the Texans are starting to interview people, and he's just the first.
Well, unless we've already settled on Bush as the DC, I sure hope we aren't interviewing this guy for our DL, when we don't even have a DC in place yet... I'd say it's pretty important to let the DC bring in his guys. The last thing we need is more competing philosophies on the defensive side of the ball.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #14
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Your statement might have alot more to it than you think. We have to ask why would we interview a guy to fill the DL coach need before we find out who our DC is? Unless of course you already feel you got your DC in place (Bush) and he said he wants Marinelli.

Otherwise wouldn't you want your DC to recommend who he wants for the DL?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #15
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Your statement might have alot more to it than you think. We have to ask why would we interview a guy to fill the DL coach need before we find out who our DC is? Unless of course you already feel you got your DC in place (Bush) and he said he wants Marinelli.

Otherwise wouldn't you want your DC to recommend who he wants for the DL?
Probably because they're interviewing him for the coord. position....
Old 01-08-2009   #16
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Ive said it a few times, but it is worth repeating. No coach from on staff deserves the DC. That was a lack-luster game plan/scheme run for three years. Time for some new.
Somebody on TT.com said that he waited on Bush at a restaurant and asked Bush if he did any play calling or anything and all Bush said was that he and Kubes restricted certain defensive plays from Richard Smith.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #17
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Does this mean that he's one of our top prospects?
I hope it's more the first guy there were able to get an interview scheduled with and that'll likely be around after the NFL head coach turnstile stops. While I like the fact that he's got a good history working with DLs and is very familiar with the Tampa 2 defense, I can't get over a guy that has 0-16 stink on him.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #18
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Well, unless we've already settled on Bush as the DC, I sure hope we aren't interviewing this guy for our DL, when we don't even have a DC in place yet... I'd say it's pretty important to let the DC bring in his guys. The last thing we need is more competing philosophies on the defensive side of the ball.

That is exactly what I was thinking. IMHO this means he IS here to interview for the job of dc. The only way he would be interviewed for dl coach is if Bush is their man for dc.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #19
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

He may not be a good candidate for DC, but he's a great candidate for D-Line. I got this from Wikipedia:

1973-1975 Rosemead High School (Defensive coordinator)
1976-1981 Utah State University (Defensive line coach)
1982 Utah State University (Offensive line and special teams coach)
1983-1989 University of California (defensive line coach)
1990-1991 University of California (defensive line and assistant head coach)
1992-1994 Arizona State University (defensive line and assistant head coach)
1995 University of Southern California (Defensive line coach)
1996-2001 Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Defensive line coach)
2002-2005 Tampa Bay Buccaneers (defensive line and assistant head coach)

2006-2008 Detroit Lions (Head coach)

Those were some good years for the Bucs defense.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #20
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Agree and disagree. It is ok to have different philosophy on the defensive side of the ball as long as there is one person in-charge and everyone is on the same page. Most DC would prefer to hire there own people but Mainelli is probably so highly thought of as a DL coach that any coordinator would be glad to have him.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read