Patrick Chung, Oregon

gtexan02

Working?
Any thoughts on this guy?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAgUERW4VEg

Safety, but ESPN lists him as a LB? Not really sure which is correct

6'0, 210
40 in at sub 4.6
I like what I've seen from the scout assessments of him.
He averaged 90+ tackles every season
He snagged 9 INTs over his 4 year career
He plays the run and the pass well
He has 4 sacks from the safety position, so he is pretty versatile

From ESPN:
Good height and bulk to along with above-average straight-line speed
Chung has not missed playing time due to an injury
An aggressive safety that shows above-average instincts for the position. Is quick to find the ball. Brings a physical presence to the field and look to deliver knock out blows at all times. Can be his own worst enemy, though, as most of his problems stem from over aggressiveness
Reads the quarterback's eyes and breaks on the ball well. Closes extremely fast after the catch and is quick to make the tackle. Possesses good overall range, as takes sound angles to the football when it's in the air and he shows above-average recovery speed when he does get caught out of position.
Show ability to rotate hips and change directions quickly. Can match up in some man coverage but lacks ideal height versus tight ends and has some limitations versus slot-WR's.
Hands are adequate-to-good. Aggressive and shows good body control when attacking the football
Down-hill and reliable in run support. Effective run stopper when lining up in box. Breaks down well and shows good technique when making the tackle. At times is too aggressive and can overrun the ball. Needs to work on shedding blocks when working against bigger blockers

Looks to be a 2nd-3rd round pick unless he has a crazy workout at the combine

Chung is a solid player.

With Chancellor going back to school for his senior year, Chung will probably be the third ranked safety by most people.

He should be a second round pick and a good one at that. He doesn't have the size others do, but he plays bigger than he is. He loves delivering the big hit and loves contact. I like his style of play as he flies to the ball and always is around it. He can play near the line of scrimmage too. The thing that worries me is that he doesn't play a traditional safety role at Oregon and from what I saw he breaks on the ball late occasionally. Still, I hope we draft him in the second. He fits what this defense is trying to become: fierce.

Considering Mays is probably out of reach, Moore looking not worth #15 and our team having needs elsewhere I say a 2nd for this guy sounds right. Never seen him play but the scouting report sounds complete for a safety. 6' 210 pretty medium sized but I guess they can't all be Mays-esque.

There are guys that are play makers, and he's one of them. For whatever reason, he's always around the ball. Speed at the combine is overrated. Jerry Rice & Franco Harris didn't have blazing speed, but for whatever reason, never got caught from behind. Some guys play pad strong & quick, and Chung looks to do that. If my man Mays is gone, and this guy is around 2nd round, or if we have to trade up into the late first to get him, do it. With him most likely being the 3rd best safety on the board, he'll go quick. With this starting to be a junior heavy draft, we'll see alot of screwy things done. This is a potential draft, not an experience and production draft for the most part!

Don't know the guy but seems like too slow for what I want in FS. I'm tired of "well he can play either position." We have strong safeties, why do we need him?

Don't know the guy but seems like too slow for what I want in FS. I'm tired of "well he can play either position." We have strong safeties, why do we need him?

Because he has more picks then any other safety (who didn't play at CB) in the draft? I'd take him in the second...

He's probably going to run a 4.4, maybe 4.5 at the worst. He knows how to play the position and can create turnovers, As long as his 40 isn't 4.6 range or lower it shouldn't matter.

When it comes to safeties for this team, we need a guy with good instincts, a guy that can close in on the play fast. Our safeties get to the WR far too often after he's caught and secured the ball.

Chung could be a solid selection in the 2nd round. He seems smaller to me than what his measurements say, he almost looks like Dunta Robinson at safety. His frame looks like its pretty maxed out to me. Not necessarily a good or bad thing, just an observation. If this guy can cause some incompletions, a few turnovers, and is able to play up in the box and go in on some blitzes- I'm all for it. Especially if we can do something on the DL in the first and then add some help over the top in coverage, it'd really change our defense.

He's probably going to run a 4.4, maybe 4.5 at the worst. He knows how to play the position and can create turnovers, As long as his 40 isn't 4.6 range or lower it shouldn't matter.

According to the original post in this thread by gtexan02:

6'0, 210
40 in at sub 4.6

Chung will be available in the 2nd round, but so will William Moore and Nic Harris and Rashad Johnson and Kevin Ellison and Micheal Hamlin. If Moore is gone and Chung and Ellison are there, I'd rather see the Texans select Ellison.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=SS&draftyear=2009&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASCDoes not have that burner speed I want at FS to run with WR. You've got Mays and William Moore sitting there with FS speed and we are good enough with SS bangers we have imo. I would not use a 2nd on Chung.

I have been screaming for us to take this guy all year long. The kid has all the talent and skill we need to play for us and we can get him the second and not spend the 1st pick on a safety, but take an a lineman of any form in the first.

Chung is an "in box" SS. He does not move great laterally. I don't think his hips are that great. He does has a strong closing step and does do a good job knowing where the ball is, even in the air. He is not the FS this board is screaming for though. I think he would be like a Glenn Earl.

I could see Moore going to a team in the 20's, maybe a Brian Dawkins replacement. I doubt he lasts until our pick in the 2nd.

Chung is an "in box" SS. He does not move great laterally. I don't think his hips are that great. He does has a strong closing step and does do a good job knowing where the ball is, even in the air. He is not the FS this board is screaming for though. I think he would be like a Glenn Earl.

That is how I see him.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=SS&draftyear=2009&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASCDoes not have that burner speed I want at FS to run with WR. You've got Mays and William Moore sitting there with FS speed and we are good enough with SS bangers we have imo. I would not use a 2nd on Chung.
You realize that's not official, it's only an educated guess. I can see Chung having a 40 time just as good as Moore. Mays is an athlete and apparently will run a 4.3, but his lack of instincts scares me.

Back