Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-08-2009   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Patrick Chung, Oregon

Any thoughts on this guy?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAgUERW4VEg

Safety, but ESPN lists him as a LB? Not really sure which is correct

6'0, 210
40 in at sub 4.6
I like what I've seen from the scout assessments of him.
He averaged 90+ tackles every season
He snagged 9 INTs over his 4 year career
He plays the run and the pass well
He has 4 sacks from the safety position, so he is pretty versatile

From ESPN:
Good height and bulk to along with above-average straight-line speed
Chung has not missed playing time due to an injury
An aggressive safety that shows above-average instincts for the position. Is quick to find the ball. Brings a physical presence to the field and look to deliver knock out blows at all times. Can be his own worst enemy, though, as most of his problems stem from over aggressiveness
Reads the quarterback's eyes and breaks on the ball well. Closes extremely fast after the catch and is quick to make the tackle. Possesses good overall range, as takes sound angles to the football when it's in the air and he shows above-average recovery speed when he does get caught out of position.
Show ability to rotate hips and change directions quickly. Can match up in some man coverage but lacks ideal height versus tight ends and has some limitations versus slot-WR's.
Hands are adequate-to-good. Aggressive and shows good body control when attacking the football
Down-hill and reliable in run support. Effective run stopper when lining up in box. Breaks down well and shows good technique when making the tackle. At times is too aggressive and can overrun the ball. Needs to work on shedding blocks when working against bigger blockers

Looks to be a 2nd-3rd round pick unless he has a crazy workout at the combine
Old 01-09-2009   #2
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72205 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Patrick Chung, Oregon

Chung is a solid player.

With Chancellor going back to school for his senior year, Chung will probably be the third ranked safety by most people.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009   #3
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

He should be a second round pick and a good one at that. He doesn't have the size others do, but he plays bigger than he is. He loves delivering the big hit and loves contact. I like his style of play as he flies to the ball and always is around it. He can play near the line of scrimmage too. The thing that worries me is that he doesn't play a traditional safety role at Oregon and from what I saw he breaks on the ball late occasionally. Still, I hope we draft him in the second. He fits what this defense is trying to become: fierce.
Old 01-09-2009   #4
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Considering Mays is probably out of reach, Moore looking not worth #15 and our team having needs elsewhere I say a 2nd for this guy sounds right. Never seen him play but the scouting report sounds complete for a safety. 6' 210 pretty medium sized but I guess they can't all be Mays-esque.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009   #5
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329529 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Brian Dawkins and Ed Reed are no bigger. Talent matters more than a few pounds.
Old 01-09-2009   #6
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Brian Dawkins and Ed Reed are no bigger. Talent matters more than a few pounds.
I'm now thinking Mays is more Brian Urlacher than Ed Reed .
Old 01-09-2009   #7
pittbull3
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 pittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden cover

There are guys that are play makers, and he's one of them. For whatever reason, he's always around the ball. Speed at the combine is overrated. Jerry Rice & Franco Harris didn't have blazing speed, but for whatever reason, never got caught from behind. Some guys play pad strong & quick, and Chung looks to do that. If my man Mays is gone, and this guy is around 2nd round, or if we have to trade up into the late first to get him, do it. With him most likely being the 3rd best safety on the board, he'll go quick. With this starting to be a junior heavy draft, we'll see alot of screwy things done. This is a potential draft, not an experience and production draft for the most part!
Old 01-09-2009   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't know the guy but seems like too slow for what I want in FS. I'm tired of "well he can play either position." We have strong safeties, why do we need him?
Old 01-09-2009   #9
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 13034 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Don't know the guy but seems like too slow for what I want in FS. I'm tired of "well he can play either position." We have strong safeties, why do we need him?
Because he has more picks then any other safety (who didn't play at CB) in the draft? I'd take him in the second...
Old 01-09-2009   #10
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
He's probably going to run a 4.4, maybe 4.5 at the worst. He knows how to play the position and can create turnovers, As long as his 40 isn't 4.6 range or lower it shouldn't matter.
Old 01-09-2009   #11
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

When it comes to safeties for this team, we need a guy with good instincts, a guy that can close in on the play fast. Our safeties get to the WR far too often after he's caught and secured the ball.

Chung could be a solid selection in the 2nd round. He seems smaller to me than what his measurements say, he almost looks like Dunta Robinson at safety. His frame looks like its pretty maxed out to me. Not necessarily a good or bad thing, just an observation. If this guy can cause some incompletions, a few turnovers, and is able to play up in the box and go in on some blitzes- I'm all for it. Especially if we can do something on the DL in the first and then add some help over the top in coverage, it'd really change our defense.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009   #12
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORK 88 View Post
He's probably going to run a 4.4, maybe 4.5 at the worst. He knows how to play the position and can create turnovers, As long as his 40 isn't 4.6 range or lower it shouldn't matter.
According to the original post in this thread by gtexan02:

6'0, 210
40 in at sub 4.6
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009   #13
Texan JBZ
Da Sip's Finest

Rep Power: 1065 Texan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan JBZ is a quality contributor and well respected

Chung will be available in the 2nd round, but so will William Moore and Nic Harris and Rashad Johnson and Kevin Ellison and Micheal Hamlin. If Moore is gone and Chung and Ellison are there, I'd rather see the Texans select Ellison.
Old 01-09-2009   #14
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
According to the original post in this thread by gtexan02:

6'0, 210
40 in at sub 4.6
Most scout websites have him listed at 4.54ish
Old 01-09-2009   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORK 88 View Post
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...xpos&order=ASCDoes not have that burner speed I want at FS to run with WR. You've got Mays and William Moore sitting there with FS speed and we are good enough with SS bangers we have imo. I would not use a 2nd on Chung.
Old 01-09-2009   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

I did find this interesting bit on Walters that he could run 4.4 @ combine. I will hold my opinion until then. My wish list remains Moore in a trade down getting at least another 3rd. http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2009S.php
Old 01-09-2009   #17
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

I have been screaming for us to take this guy all year long. The kid has all the talent and skill we need to play for us and we can get him the second and not spend the 1st pick on a safety, but take an a lineman of any form in the first.
Old 01-09-2009   #18
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Chung is an "in box" SS. He does not move great laterally. I don't think his hips are that great. He does has a strong closing step and does do a good job knowing where the ball is, even in the air. He is not the FS this board is screaming for though. I think he would be like a Glenn Earl.
Old 01-09-2009   #19
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I could see Moore going to a team in the 20's, maybe a Brian Dawkins replacement. I doubt he lasts until our pick in the 2nd.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009   #20
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Chung is an "in box" SS. He does not move great laterally. I don't think his hips are that great. He does has a strong closing step and does do a good job knowing where the ball is, even in the air. He is not the FS this board is screaming for though. I think he would be like a Glenn Earl.
That is how I see him.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read