Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-07-2009   #1
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30803 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Do The Texans Have What It Takes To Sign A FA?

It would be great if the Texans sign a FA. Who thinks that they are going to go out full force and try to sign one? There is a great list of them out there no doubt. Money wise who do they have a shot at? Signing a FA I think is important to this team this offseason since they have not really ever signed a big FA in their seven year being. Who do you think would be good for the team as far as having a good team atmosphere goes? Weather or not they even go after a FA during the offseason we do not know but it is very early on and I am sure that will or at least I sure hope that they do becasuse they need to.
Old 01-07-2009   #2
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156181 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Do The Texans Have What It Takes To Sign A FA?

If they can get an expensive AND GOOD free agent in the off season, Iíll be happy. I would assume it to be a defensive player, as we donít need desperate help on the offense. As long as it IS NOT fat Albert, Iíll be OK. Hainsworth is not worth the money he will demand. He just isnít. That and heís an *******. I donít want him on our team.

That CB from Oakland would be a great signing though.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009   #3
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Texans are going to focus on resigning their free agents first. Owen Daniels and David Anderson are restricted free agents who will probably be resigned. Same with Dunta Robinson. I'm not sure who else we have that deserves a new contract
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009   #4
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
If they can get an expensive AND GOOD free agent in the off season, Iíll be happy. I would assume it to be a defensive player, as we donít need desperate help on the offense. As long as it IS NOT fat Albert, Iíll be OK. Hainsworth is not worth the money he will demand. He just isnít. That and heís an *******. I donít want him on our team.

That CB from Oakland would be a great signing though.
Im praying that the Panthers dont franchise Peppers.....
Old 01-07-2009   #5
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156181 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post
Im praying that the Panthers dont franchise Peppers.....
Peppers and Mario on the same line approaches sexual fantasies. My God how good can that get?

It wonít happen though, but damn, itís nice to dream about.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009   #6
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30803 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Suggs anyone?
Old 01-07-2009   #7
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Suggs anyone?
As a LB or DE?
Old 01-07-2009   #8
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTraxx View Post
As a LB or DE?
DE maybe.
Old 01-07-2009   #9
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

There are many possible issues preventing the Texans from landing someone big:

1. A lot of times people who excel on one team wouldn't do well on others. They don't fit your system, so now matter how talented they are on that team, they might not translate well on another. We will avoid guys who don't fit our system

2. A lot of high priced vets are looking to win and win now. They don't want an up and coming team, they want a team thats already contending and needs that extra piece.

3. A lot of highly talented people drop like rocks after they get that huge payday. This scares me

4. Houston is not known for developing talent. In fact, I'd guess we have a pretty negative reputation around the league for free agents. We don't really sign guys that end up making careers. All our most talented players have come from drafts.

That being said, I really hope we can pull someone who might make a difference to this team. Whether they are OL or defense, I'd be pleased. Whats killing us is that we keep signing 3 or 4 mid range players who end up getting cut rather than 1 superstar who ends up getting paid and sticking around.
Old 01-07-2009   #10
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
4. Houston is not known for developing talent. In fact, I'd guess we have a pretty negative reputation around the league for free agents. We don't really sign guys that end up making careers. All our most talented players have come from drafts.
And drafting players and them doing well does not require player development?

Also, as far as free agents, Eugene Wilson, Kevin Walter, Earl Cochran, Andre Davis, and others would disagree with your statement that "we don't really sign guys that end up making careers." All those guys were essentially nobodies, other than Wilson to an extent, and they all ended up becoming serviceable starters for the Texans. Give me a break...
Old 01-07-2009   #11
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
There are many possible issues preventing the Texans from landing someone big:

1. A lot of times people who excel on one team wouldn't do well on others. They don't fit your system, so now matter how talented they are on that team, they might not translate well on another. We will avoid guys who don't fit our system

2. A lot of high priced vets are looking to win and win now. They don't want an up and coming team, they want a team thats already contending and needs that extra piece.

3. A lot of highly talented people drop like rocks after they get that huge payday. This scares me

That being said, I really hope we can pull someone who might make a difference to this team. Whether they are OL or defense, I'd be pleased. Whats killing us is that we keep signing 3 or 4 mid range players who end up getting cut rather than 1 superstar who ends up getting paid and sticking around.
Some good points here and kind of the reason why I started this thread really.
Old 01-07-2009   #12
Rozelle
Rookie

Rep Power: 599 Rozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respectedRozelle is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Houston has what it takes; I believe the players in the league recognize theyíre an up and coming team. As we know, signing high profile FAs hasnít been their style; Texans usually arenít active until the second wave, expect more of the same. Houston is doing a very good job building thru the draft. This team is very close.

I believe getting it right with the next DC will have much more of an impact than a high profile FA.
Rozelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009   #13
gary
Hall of Fame

I still think that they should sign a big FA just one time.
Old 01-07-2009   #14
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

If the Raiders somehow don't franchise Asomugha, I really hope the Texans go after him. He's young, he's one of the best CBs in the league, and we need a great CB. He would pretty well lock down one side of the field, and if you keep throwing at Dunta, he's going to win enough of those to make you lose. That is my dream signing. That level of lockdown will help the pass rush as well.
Old 01-07-2009   #15
Killer Bee
Rookie

Rep Power: 487 Killer Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respectedKiller Bee is a quality contributor and well respected

We definitely have the money to sign a big name, but the front office has made a clear stance on building through the draft. That doesn’t rule out a high $ free agent signing, but it isn’t exactly helping our chances. I’m all for a big signing every few years if there’s the cap space.

What we need to do first is resign Dunta, and extend Daniels and Ryans. After that we’ll probably sign some middle tier free agents with a slight chance at a big one. Keep an eye on FS Oshiomogho Atogwe from St. Louis. Check out his stats…

http://www.nfl.com/players/oshiomogh...s?id=ATO237308
Old 01-07-2009   #16
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
If the Raiders somehow don't franchise Asomugha, I really hope the Texans go after him. He's young, he's one of the best CBs in the league, and we need a great CB. He would pretty well lock down one side of the field, and if you keep throwing at Dunta, he's going to win enough of those to make you lose. That is my dream signing. That level of lockdown will help the pass rush as well.
He won't be too high cost wise?
Old 01-07-2009   #17
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165505 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that this year more than any other so far the Texans could use the services of one high priced, high quality free agent. Allow me to explain my position on this.

Our offense is I think very much set going into next year and there's no good reason to dip into free agency to bolster this group up. More than anything they need reps together and to focus on perfecting their play within our system. Cut down the mistakes and stop the ridiculous turnovers and we're set. The sole exception to this is a complimentary back to Steve Slaton which can be had in the draft in the middle rounds.

Our defense is in a heavy state of transition. We're on a coach hunt and trying to find the defensive coordinator who will put an end to our tissue paper run defense and fix our inept pass rush. Make no mistake we will find this guy and Houston is absolutely a sweet opportunity for the next DC. We have talent, they are young, and this is far from a bare cupboard. On top of that these players have played hard and been effective at times. In the second half of both of the last two seasons these players have shut down some very good offenses in games where the outcome had meaning to those teams.

Our defense has quite a few players to build with. Mario Williams and Amobi Okoye are both guys that any good DC in his right mind would want to try and develop and build around. Both have shown what they are capable of (Mario more so than Amobi) and both have been clearly misused by our former DC and staff. I'll even go so far as to say that Travis Johnson might also perform differently in a better scheme and I know that we've uncovered a gem in DeShaun Robinson. In the LB corps we have starters in Zach Diles, DeMeco Ryans, and Xavier Adibi. This is a young and promising group. Ryans has been to a Pro Bowl, Diles was a tackling machine and getting better by the week when he went down, and Adibi came in and completely changed the play of the group with his speed despite being way underweight. Our secondary needs help but we've got Dunta Robinson who is a difference maker and both Fred Bennett and Antwaun Molden are very promising prospects.

There's definitely something to work with here and I'm sure coaches can see this. We'll get our DC and staff and they'll make a real difference in how this unit plays.

On top of that we're probably going to add a young player in the first round who will be expected to start and he will almost certainly be on the defensive side of the ball. A new coach coming in will no doubt know that he's going to get to add a hih draft pick to his unit right off the bat. He might get both first day picks used on defense.

Now as for the FA signing (you thought I'd forgotten about that didn't you?). We need to re-sign our guys. Dunta has to come back because he's the heart of this group. He's the guts of this group. When he's on the field the play of the others elevates. That's apparent to anyone paying attention. He's a leader and we are short of those on defense in a big way. So what do we do? We bring in one more expensive but outstanding free agent defender.

Now I don't care if he's a DT like Haynesworth or a cornerback like Asomugha (perfect if he's not franchised for some reason). It just doesn't matter which group we add him to (DL, LB, DB) because each one of them could easily use a veteran leader who plays at a high level. Arguably we're looking at a DL that's a new scheme and one great player away from being an elite unit. Arguably we have a LB corps who you could add one exceptional free agent to and they'd do some serious damage. One guy like Asomugha added to our defensive backfield and they're shutting people down.

If we could get a rookie LB who can start right away and can add a top of the line FA DT to our front four then we'd be making some real noise. If we could get a rookie FS and give Mario an effective pass rushing DE then we're going to rack up some sacks and picks. If we could throw Asomugha back there with Dunta and draft a FS and a DE on day one then we are again going to look very good very fast.

My point is that right now is the time to commit to playing defense at a high level.
1)Bring in the coaches
2)Implement a scheme that is truly an NFL caliber defense and not some hodgepodge that C-USA offenses could pick apart
3)Go get a statement player and a first (plus maybe a second) round rookie

With our offense and a real defense we'll be there.
Old 01-07-2009   #18
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
In the (impossible) event that they don't tag Aso, the ONLY way we sign him is if we don't sign Dunta. Think about how much money that would mean we had poured into that position:

2008 - Jacques Reeves - large, but not gigantic contract
2009 - Dunta Robinson - probably will be a big contract with 22+ million guaranteed
2009 - Nnamdi Asomugha - likely the largest contract for a CB ever - if not, it will at least be close to Asante Samuel's deal.

No way they sink that much money into two positions - especially in ONE off-season with Dunta AND Nnamdi. Nnamdi alone? Still a huge longshot 1 - because of the money and 2 - because they're going to tag him.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009   #19
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165505 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
In the (impossible) event that they don't tag Aso, the ONLY way we sign him is if we don't sign Dunta. Think about how much money that would mean we had poured into that position:

2008 - Jacques Reeves - large, but not gigantic contract
2009 - Dunta Robinson - probably will be a big contract with 22+ million guaranteed
2009 - Nnamdi Asomugha - likely the largest contract for a CB ever - if not, it will at least be close to Asante Samuel's deal.

No way they sink that much money into two positions - especially in ONE off-season with Dunta AND Nnamdi. Nnamdi alone? Still a huge longshot 1 - because of the money and 2 - because they're going to tag him.
I don't know, it seems like teams make it happen if they're determined to do so. We have three first round draft picks taken in three straight drafts on the DL. I know draft pick money isn't the same thing as free agent money but I don't think that it's impossible to do. It would be a longshot I agree but it's not impossible. Creative cap management is possible and I can't believe that we have all that much cash tied up in the linebackers or in the rest of the secondary outside of those three players. Beyond Mario and Amobi we've got TJ in the latter part of his deal and a bunch of guys we developed from undrafted free agents. Plus our offense is mostly composed of homegrown talent and bargain free agents. I think if they want to they can make the two deals work (Dunta and Asomugha).

The biggest obstacle is the fact that he'll probably be franchised.
Old 01-07-2009   #20
gary
Hall of Fame

Amen.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read