Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans for Taylor Mays 09'

pittbull3

Waterboy
Too big, too fast, and to angry to pass up. This is just what the Texans need lurking the secondary. If Mr. Mays is available and the Texans pass, it could be monumental. Trade up into the draft if you have too! Would mean to the Texans D, as John Lynch meant to the Broncos for years! Since our coming into the league, we have only two players that other teams fear and scheme against. Johnson and Williams. This would give the Texans another player maker on the defensive side of the ball and prevent air-attack teams from challenging the secondary. :aggressive:

eriadoc

Texan-American
There are a few guys at 15 that I wouldn't complain about us getting. Mays is one of them.

Blake

MMQB
He will be this years Sean Taylor. Everyone will want him, but after the combine, he wont get past 10.

And with Denver at 12 I think they would be a prime candidate to draft him.

pittbull3

Waterboy
There are a few guys at 15 that I wouldn't complain about us getting. Mays is one of them.
I'm only going Safety or LB. Our track record with D-Line has not been that great. I believe with a creative D-Coor, we can right the ship on the D-Line. But without an adequate secondary, we're dead in the water!:bat:

gtexan02

Working?
I want to go Safety with our 1st pick more than most, but that said, I don't know why people are so high on Mays. Honestly, Im curious here.

I know almost nothing about him, other than what his stats indicate.
4 career interceptions over 3 years playing at USC?

USC plays a lot of bad teams and is usually ahead in games. That means a lot of pass opportunities. 4 INTs over 3 years doesn't sound like much of a ballhawk

pittbull3

Waterboy
He will be this years Sean Taylor. Everyone will want him, but after the combine, he wont get past 10.

And with Denver at 12 I think they would be a prime candidate to draft him.
I would trade the house! You can't pass on a guy like that. If we are willing to give away picks for Schaub, why would they not want to give up picks for a 6'3", 225lbs, 4.28- 40, heat seeking rocket!

P

Polo

I can't even wrap my head around the upcoming draft just yet...

Since Kubiak has gotten here he's taken guys that I didn't expect him to take....

Honestly I'm not as concerned with what we do with our first rd. pick as I am with what we do with our second and third....

Sitting at 15 I don't think we'll have a shot at Mays, Mauluga, or Orakpo...Just not seeing that come draft day...

pittbull3

Waterboy
I want to go Safety with our 1st pick more than most, but that said, I don't know why people are so high on Mays. Honestly, Im curious here.

I know almost nothing about him, other than what his stats indicate.
4 career interceptions over 3 years playing at USC?

USC plays a lot of bad teams and is usually ahead in games. That means a lot of pass opportunities. 4 INTs over 3 years doesn't sound like much of a ballhawk
I agree about his stats, but stats can lie. Why would you throw in the direction of a guy that talented? Sometimes your stats are horrible, due to no one challenging you. He does have some limitations in coverage, but he's there to challenge the WR's and TE's, not stay in their back pocket. He's no Ed Reid or Palamalu, but he's not Roy Williams Either! Can you imagine bringing him in the box on run situations also? My oh my....the packages that can be run!:foottap:

P

Polo

Mays is a good ball player...I wouldn't get too caught up in his stats because Kubes Mantra seems to be to take the best athletes and coach them up into good ball players...

At Mays' size with his athletic ability I can't see Kubiak passing on him....But like I said, I don't see us having a shot at him...If he's a workout warrior he'll probably go top ten...

pittbull3

Waterboy
I can't even wrap my head around the upcoming draft just yet...

Since Kubiak has gotten here he's taken guys that I didn't expect him to take....

Honestly I'm not as concerned with what we do with our first rd. pick as I am with what we do with our second and third....

Sitting at 15 I don't think we'll have a shot at Mays, Mauluga, or Orakpo...Just not seeing that come draft day...
This team is close. Those later round picks are going to be important though. Depth. Guys like Adibi and Diles are playing well over their expected contributions, but they are not legit starters! There will be value for OLB in the 2nd round!

pittbull3

Waterboy
Mays is a good ball player...I wouldn't get too caught up in his stats because Kubes Mantra seems to be to take the best athletes and coach them up into good ball players...

At Mays' size with his athletic ability I can't see Kubiak passing on him....But like I said, I don't see us having a shot at him...If he's a workout warrior he'll probably go top ten...
I hear ya! Let's just pray they open up the trade scenario!

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
I agree about his stats, but stats can lie. Why would you throw in the direction of a guy that talented? Sometimes your stats are horrible, due to no one challenging you. He does have some limitations in coverage, but he's there to challenge the WR's and TE's, not stay in their back pocket. He's no Ed Reid or Palamalu, but he's not Roy Williams Either! Can you imagine bringing him in the box on run situations also? My oh my....the packages that can be run!:foottap:
That being said, would you compare him to a guy like a Bob Sanders who isn't exactly a ball hawk safety, but a run stopping beast from hell? Because I would take a guy like Bob Sanders in a NY second.

I think Mays is intriguing as well. But I think that Polo is right and Denver seems like a prime candidate to get him. I'm with you though I don't think our track record is to good on picking D Lineman in the first round, but I would still go after a DE because we need one way to much. I just don't want to draft another DT.

pittbull3

Waterboy
That being said, would you compare him to a guy like a Bob Sanders who isn't exactly a ball hawk safety, but a run stopping beast from hell? Because I would take a guy like Bob Sanders in a NY second.

I think Mays is intriguing as well. But I think that Polo is right and Denver seems like a prime candidate to get him. I'm with you though I don't think our track record is to good on picking D Lineman in the first round, but I would still go after a DE because we need one way to much. I just don't want to draft another DT.
That's what I'm talking about. If you can get a Bob Sanders clone, with more size and speed. Put him in a Tampa-2 or blitzing 4-3......My Goodness. He is my dream safety. Actually I would think he is more of a Brian Dawkins!

DiehardChris

You betcha!
I want to be excited about Mays, but I keep hearing noise about him not being that good in pass coverage. We've already had a couple of safeties who were really good at stopping the run, and really bad at pass coverage.

Not that Mays would be really bad at coverage - I'm just kind of scared.

Plus - I'm a big subscriber to the thought that you build defense from the front back. It's not like we only have one hole on the d-line... we have at LEAST two, possibly three if Okoye doesn't get his butt in gear.

I dunno. I'm really torn. We could get a REALLY nice player at 15... but we may also trade down again.

Shaft75

All Pro
What's wrong with moving back and picking up William Moore? Look at the Texans recent draft history. We always make the best picks in the middle rounds. I say trade back if we can and pick up some OL help and a compliment to Slaton.

Mays may be a good player...
But I want MOORE in '09!
(as in William Moore and more draft picks if y'all didn't catch it)

Blake

MMQB
What's wrong with moving back and picking up William Moore? Look at the Texans recent draft history. We always make the best picks in the middle rounds. I say trade back if we can and pick up some OL help and a compliment to Slaton.

But I want MOORE in '09!
I have no problem with moving back for more picks and still getting a hammer safety. Better that than trade picks to move up.

Ole Miss Texan

Hall of Fame
I really dislike the fact that as a casual fan, you can't watch the secondary (college or pro). Once they show the secondary, it's pretty much too late to tell you much + you don't know what assignments were called. More often than not safeties are blamed for CB's mistakes and CB's are blamed for S mistakes.

I havn't gotten to see much of Mays and I think he's a big case of "he's been then #1 safety for a long time and everybody is trying to point out flaws". I think his measurables are off the charts... but that can often be a big distraction. If he is the real deal, I would love to have him on this team, especially if our new DC knows a lot about the secondary.

He's probably gone before hand though seeing how Malcolm Jenkins, Vontae Davis and he are the top secondary players in the draft. I can see Denver or even New Orleans taking him. If Oakland gets rid of Huff, they may even be in the running if they're dumb enough to pass on a LT.

TexanSam

Hall of Fame
I would trade the house! You can't pass on a guy like that. If we are willing to give away picks for Schaub, why would they not want to give up picks for a 6'3", 225lbs, 4.28- 40, heat seeking rocket!
Because we have other needs other than safety. We can't trade away picksto fill one need when those other picks could help us as well

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Not just no, but hell no. FYI--the 2 picks the Texans gave up to Schaub don't equal their 1st round pick much less their 1st round pick plus more picks to move up.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
I want to be excited about Mays, but I keep hearing noise about him not being that good in pass coverage. We've already had a couple of safeties who were really good at stopping the run, and really bad at pass coverage.

Not that Mays would be really bad at coverage - I'm just kind of scared.

Plus - I'm a big subscriber to the thought that you build defense from the front back. It's not like we only have one hole on the d-line... we have at LEAST two, possibly three if Okoye doesn't get his butt in gear.

I dunno. I'm really torn. We could get a REALLY nice player at 15... but we may also trade down again.
I'm right there with ya, Diehard. I've always felt that the game is won in the trenches. I also understand we've spent multiple 1st round picks along the Dline, but it ain't finished yet.

Personally, I'd go with the BPA at DE, OLB and DT in the 1st 3 rounds.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Some guys on the list of Taylor Mays' KO victims are fairly big.

Cameron Morrah TE, 6-4 245 lbs
Nyan Boatang WR, 6-2 210 lbs
Craig Stevens, TE, 6-4, 254 lbs (3rd pick Titans, #85 overall)

Second Honeymoon

Hall of Fame
I think Mays would be a great addition (see signature) but no way in hell would I give up picks to trade up to get him. If someone takes him before us, that just means someone else is going to drop in our laps. My perfect offseason (other than Asomoghu or Haynesworth signing *unrealistic*) would be to lure Ray Lewis to come in and play LB for us and bring a soul to our defense and then draft Mays to add another layer of pain.

Personally, I think Rey Maleauga(sic) would be a great addition and there is a better shot at Rey at #15 than Mays at #15. It all depends on the combine anyways. Our best bet is that as many QBs as possible come out in this draft and hopefully get drafted pre #15. I think there is already a decent shot that 3 QBs will be taken pre #15...Flacco and Ryan's quality play could help us have a QB happy 1st Round and that is a good thing.

as for Denver drafting Mays, I could see it happen but I would imagine they make be looking for a DL. Their recent experiments at DL have not worked out and the new regime is probably going to want to fix that situation immediately.

Last edited:

Second Honeymoon

Hall of Fame

But I want MOORE in '09!
I like your campaign's tagline 'I Want MOORE in '09'
thats pretty good

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
I think Mays would be a great addition (see signature) but no way in hell would I give up picks to trade up to get him. If someone takes him before us, that just means someone else is going to drop in our laps. My perfect offseason (other than Asomoghu or Haynesworth signing *unrealistic*) would be to lure Ray Lewis to come in and play LB for us and bring a soul to our defense and then draft Mays to add another layer of pain.

Personally, I think Rey Maleauga(sic) would be a great addition and there is a better shot at Rey at #15 than Mays at #15. It all depends on the combine anyways. Our best bet is that as many QBs as possible come out in this draft and hopefully get drafted pre #15. I think there is already a decent shot that 3 QBs will be taken pre #15...Flacco and Ryan's quality play could help us have a QB happy 1st Round and that is a good thing.

as for Denver drafting Mays, I could see it happen but I would imagine they make be looking for a DL. Their recent experiments at DL have not worked out and the new regime is probably going to want to fix that situation immediately.
Interesting scenarios that you just proposed.

I would love to have Maleauga but doesn't he play the same position that Demeco does? IF we did grab him would we move him or Demeco? Would that be probable? Curry would be a nice guy to have as well. I wouldn't mind if we spent that first pick on either one of those LB's.

Ray Lewis coming here? That is a dream and you know that won't happen. I think that we would have a better shot at Suggs.

You could be right about Denver going DL though. They were atrocious this year up front on D. I hadn't thought about that.

Goldensilence

hipster elite
Looked at a few highlight reels for Mays and I don't like to watch USC football really. What stands out is he kid can lay the wood but what concerns me is he big hit without wrapping up. Definitely has speed to burn but I only saw one pick and not enough in coverage. We could get Mays at 15 unless him combine numbers blow his status up like Landry's did. Moore might slip down into the second and I'd like to pick him up if he does. However, I think the value for this defense,barring a DC that great with secondary players(McDermot,Gray) is at OLB.

Duna's return made an impact in how much the staff probably trusted the secondary more but Adibi's speed at LB IMO made the bigger impact. Could use one more on the opposite side of Demeco.

gtexan02

Working?
Safeties play all over the field, so I dont really think offenses purposely avoid him. Again, 4 picks in 3 years. One year he had no interceptions all year long.

This team needs turnovers just as badly as it needs someone to play solid defense. This guy looks like a beast, but he's not a centerfielder. He's not a ballhawk. If we have to trade or find a FA so be it, if this guy can be coached up, so be it. But I'm ready for a true FS back there

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
You could say the same about Sean Taylor. He was obviously a huge ballhawk going into his junior (and final) year with the Hurricanes when he was in college. Why would you think about throwing at him? He still managed 10 interceptions that season, and made much, much more plays than Mays did this year, or in any year. Same goes for Ed Reed, he was a huge ballhawk throughout his college career, but still managed to get the picks year in and year out. And he does it in the NFL pretty much EVERY year.

I think INT stats lie, to an extent. You either get them or you don't. It's not like a touchdown where you have to have your whole offense on the same page. An INT is just a guy using instincts to be where the ball will be and having the ability to come down with it.

I just don't think Mays is a ballhawk. I see him being like John Lynch as you, pittbull3, said in the OP. John Lynch is probably the best comparison I have seen of him yet.

If you want a run stopping enforcer who closes on the ballcarrier extremely fast than Mays is what you want. I'm not sure he is the ballhawk we are all looking for.

JMO

Last edited:

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
I like the idea of Rey Maualuga(sp?) at SLB. He is a good blitzer, something we need from our LBs, and he is a big dude. Our LBers aren't all that big, and Rey would add some bulk to the 2nd line of our defense.

mussop

Hall of Fame
Duna's return made an impact in how much the staff probably trusted the secondary more but Adibi's speed at LB IMO made the bigger impact. Could use one more on the opposite side of Demeco.
This got me thinking :thinking: with Mays size and speed could he play some LB? I mean if the main negative on him is that hes not a ballhawk, why not move him down to LB. Seems like an easier transition than going from LB to safety (if you have the size). Could you imagine having a OLB with 4.3 speed.

To bad he probably wont be there when we pick.

pittbull3

Waterboy
Because we have other needs other than safety. We can't trade away picksto fill one need when those other picks could help us as well
No doubt about other needs, but this may be the year to use $$$ on secure free agents. I personally would take a strong look at Bart Scott. The Ravens can't pay Suggs, Scott, and Lewis in this year! He'll be available. Would be a great SLB pick-up. Trading picks for a bonified player is a wash! Money will be freed up with Salaam, Green, and Weaver being let go, along with the cap going up $7mil.! Add a new D-coordinator and scheme, and the Texans needs may not be as evident as most think.

pittbull3

Waterboy

But I want MOORE in '09!
Moore is no Taylor Mays. Size, strength, and speed. All the edges go to Mays. The Texans don't just need players, but they also need attitude changes and proven winners. Missouri? I don't think so. USC.....YEP!

Last edited:

pittbull3

Waterboy
Not just no, but hell no. FYI--the 2 picks the Texans gave up to Schaub don't equal their 1st round pick much less their 1st round pick plus more picks to move up.
They need winners, not picks. The Texans have a good nucleus, with talent. There are just a few holes that need to be plugged. Safety, OLB, and a D-Coordniator with some guts. Add Mays, Bart Scott in Free Agency, and a top flight veteran D-Coord, and we could be in much better shape!:fans:

pittbull3

Waterboy
Interesting scenarios that you just proposed.

I would love to have Maleauga but doesn't he play the same position that Demeco does? IF we did grab him would we move him or Demeco? Would that be probable? Curry would be a nice guy to have as well. I wouldn't mind if we spent that first pick on either one of those LB's.

Ray Lewis coming here? That is a dream and you know that won't happen. I think that we would have a better shot at Suggs.

You could be right about Denver going DL though. They were atrocious this year up front on D. I hadn't thought about that.
I would see Ray going to SLB. Has more coverage skills than DeMeco and Ryans is solidified as a NFL MLB. Why sscrew with it. Bart Scott is also a FA.

pittbull3

Waterboy
This got me thinking :thinking: with Mays size and speed could he play some LB? I mean if the main negative on him is that hes not a ballhawk, why not move him down to LB. Seems like an easier transition than going from LB to safety (if you have the size). Could you imagine having a OLB with 4.3 speed.

To bad he probably wont be there when we pick.
Many think other teams may try to move him. But why? Bring him in the box like Sanders or Dawkins in Philly. Let him lay the boom! Coverage becomes alot easy when guys get Alligator arms! Ask anyWR in the NFL!!!....LOL

Brandon420tx

Flounder
The LB I personally want is Karlos Dansby from the Cards. I really hope they can't work out a deal. Dansby was around when Frank Bush was in Arizona so who knows.

pittbull3

Waterboy
The LB I personally want is Karlos Dansby from the Cards. I really hope they can't work out a deal. Dansby was around when Frank Bush was in Arizona so who knows.
Dansby sounds good to me too. The Texans are going to exercise money or a FA LB. They can't wait for guys like Adibi and Diles to become elite LB's. Greenwood is gone! Bentley is depth. The the division will sway even faster when Dungy calls it quits, Vince goes back to QB in Tennessee, and the Jags continue to bounce up and down! This is the year to make our move.

Rey Mauluga would be cool, Mays is probably out of the question at #15, landing a big F/A wouldn't bother me either but what of James Laraunitis from OSU? I remember him being hailed as a top-10 pick last year but haven't heard much from him this year...what's the deal? Could we have a shot at him?

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Rey Mauluga would be cool, Mays is probably out of the question at #15, landing a big F/A wouldn't bother me either but what of James Laraunitis from OSU? I remember him being hailed as a top-10 pick last year but haven't heard much from him this year...what's the deal? Could we have a shot at him?
At this moment, I like Mauluga better than Laraunitis, but can either one of them play OLB?

I haven't watched enough of them, nor Mays.
But I really like to have an enforcer back there at safety. Heck, convert him to LB, I don't think I would mind.

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
Anyone who had a hard-on for La'Ron Landry should love Mays. Basically the same player but with better hands.
How do you conclude that? Landry had 12 career interceptions in college.

Mays has 4.

I can't think how you could come to the conclusion that Mays has better hands than LaRon Landry.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
At this moment, I like Mauluga better than Laraunitis, but can either one of them play OLB?

I haven't watched enough of them, nor Mays.
But I really like to have an enforcer back there at safety. Heck, convert him to LB, I don't think I would mind.
Mauluga > Lauranitus

At this point I look at our draft options being this way.

Mays at safety which is a long shot or possibly if Orakpo slips which is a really long shot because we need a DE more than anything.

If neither one is there. Here are 3 LB's that would be great and could really help the Texans and wouldn't mind having any of these three.

Mauluga, Aaron Curry, or Brandon Spikes.

I would take any of those 3. Any one of those guys could be franchise LB's to pair with Demeco for years to come. If we could get Mays, another franchise DE or any one of those LB's I'd be just fine. If Mays is gone though, I can guarantee one of those LB's will be sitting there.

Errant Hothy

Hypermediocrity
It's nice to see the annual, "We gotta draft (insert name of sefty here)! We should trade up to get him if we have too.", tradition is still going strong.

Not that I'd be opposed to Mays, just noting that every year the fans all wish for a sefty and every year they are disappionted.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
It's nice to see the annual, "We gotta draft (insert name of sefty here)! We should trade up to get him if we have too.", tradition is still going strong.

Not that I'd be opposed to Mays, just noting that every year the fans all wish for a sefty and every year they are disappionted.
What do you think about one of those 3 LB's I just mentioned then. I agree, for some reason I just don't see the Texans going Safety in the first. I want them to, but I have a feeling they won't do it.

Errant Hothy

Hypermediocrity
What do you think about one of those 3 LB's I just mentioned then. I agree, for some reason I just don't see the Texans going Safety in the first. I want them to, but I have a feeling they won't do it.
Of the three, I'd prefer Curry. Mauluga and Lauranitus seem more like MLBs to me, and while I wouldn't be opposed to moving DeMeco to the outside it ain't going to happen.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Of the three, I'd prefer Curry. Mauluga and Lauranitus seem more like MLBs to me, and while I wouldn't be opposed to moving DeMeco to the outside it ain't going to happen.
I like Curry a lot myself. He is already an Outside LB as well. I'm not sure about Spikes.

If we brought either Mauluga or Spikes in though we could move them to the outside. I think it would be better to move them, because they could learn early on in camp while Demeco has already been here leading the defense and calling plays. I would rather keep the main guy who already has the chemistry with other players in the middle and move the new guy. All 3 of those guys I mentioned could play as an Outside LB. All 3 of them are really good blitzing LB's as well which would be exactly what we need to help the pass rush especially if we don't get a better DE.

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
I don't want to trade up for Mays. I too agree with trading down for more picks. With our team on the brink of a possible play off season, having more picks will only help. I'm also cool with staying pat and picking up Mays if he falls to us or going with a DE. 1st round pick has to be D. You can pick up OL or a RB in the 2nd or 3rd.