Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-07-2009   #1
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117345 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What are the 2 most important things that need to be addressed this offseason?

If you had to break it down and say what are the 2 most important things that need to be taken care of this offseason for us to have a chance at becoming a playoff team. IMO the key to this franchise geting over the hump and becoming a regular playoff contendar is

#1) cutting down on turnovers and

#1a) being able to stop the run on a consistant basis.

Until we address those 2 major flaws we are doomed to hoping for 8 and 8 down the stretch every year. IMO strengthening the trenches fixes both of these problems.

Improving the offensive line gives Schaub more time and allow him to make better decisions. It also improves the running game wich takes pressure off Schaub. We now have our stud RB and with the life expectancy of RB's around 3 years IIRC it would be nice to get the best OL in front of him now!

I dont care how we do it ( FA or Draft) but we must improve our trenches. We must use what ever is needed of the draft and FA to insure this happening. I want at least one starting DL in this draft or FA. I dont want to wait on Okam, TJ and Okoye to reach their potential anymore. I dont want to go into next year without at least adding solid depth at OT & C.

My targets FA - I want at least one of these guys.
Haynesworth
T Suggs
Jordan Gross

My early Draft targets
Oher
Monroue
Raji
Orakpo
Mack 2nd
Unger2nd
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009   #2
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What are the 2 most important things that need to be addressed this offseason?

1 - cut down on turnovers.
2 - ONCE AND FOR ALL figure out what the HELL is going on with our defensive line.

Of course, #2 is not easy, for many reasons. I wish it was as simple as cutting Weaver and TJ, but for salary cap reasons, it's not. But those two guys have been bad-to-mediocre for so long now, and at this point I'd rather just cut ties and move on, cap hit be damned. Trouble is - that's crazy talk. I actually think they're both going to be back in 09, but my hope is they will both be at the back end of the depth chart.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009   #3
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What are the 2 most important things that need to be addressed this offseason?

Seems like too many needs to boil it down to just 2 things. So what would have the most impact imo?? Hmmm...

1) A premier rushing DE opposite Mario (we need to pressure and create more turnovers).
2) A perfect find for Def Coordinator that runs exotic blitzes(see above).

...... Just for fun :

3) A big double teaming required DT
4) A true playmaking safety.
5) A short yardage change of pace back to compliment Slaton.
6) Upgrade/depth along the interior of the O-line.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009   #4
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

1.) Find a way to take the ball away, whether it be through better scheming, or more likely by finding some ballhawks in free agency/draft.

2.) Get Schaub into the best shape of his life, get him fully healthy and get him the best line we can scrape together. I think with Schaub fully fit and available for a full year, the turnovers will come down.
Old 01-07-2009   #5
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10688 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Red zone!

Turnovers!
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009   #6
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117345 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatexan View Post
Red zone!

Turnovers!

Redzone was #3 for me.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009   #7
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

1) Install a philosophy on defense.

2) Win the turnover battle.
Old 01-07-2009   #8
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 311031 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

1. The defense
2. The defense

We have a offense that is better than some that made it to the playoffs this year. If we don't fix the defense in the offseason, forget about the playoffs. Now, as to what needs fixing on the defense, I'd say first and foremost is getting a good DC. After that, well, there are just to many things to list for second place on fixing the defense.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009   #9
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

1) running back

2) wide receiver

[/sarcasm]
Old 01-07-2009   #10
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135371 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

I can only pick 2?
Old 01-07-2009   #11
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 177962 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRedToro View Post
1) Install a philosophy on defense.

2) Win the turnover battle.
Put me down for these two as well. I think most everyone will agree that turnovers are a huge deal. And rather than get specific with the defense (so many issues), I like the overall approach here by BRT.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009   #12
Polo

1) D Coord.
2) DE
Old 01-07-2009   #13
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali4Real View Post

Target FAs...

1.) Albert Haynesworth - In a previous post I mentioned that almost every 4-3 defense has a player who is a big space eater who can play next to a quick DT. Adding a big guy like Haynesworth will allow Amobi Okoye to battle it out one-on-one instead of being responsible for taking on two or more linemen.

2.) Nnamdi Asomugha - Doesn't grab a bunch of INTs like I would want but he scares opposing QBs from throwing in his direction. Proven player who still has production left in him.

3.) Gabe Watson - A poor man's Haynesworth. @ 6'3" 330-Lbs he is a massive force that can take on two blockers and still stop the run as well as get up the field and sack the QB. Hasn't played much but with coaching can become a solid player. A diamond in the rust IMO.
Haynesworth is going to command the highest defensive contract in NFL history. No chance.

Nnamdi is going to be franchise tagged... plus, we're not going to sink all that money into Nnamdi, Dunta, and Reeves last year. Now - if we DON'T resign Dunta AND Nnamdi isn't franchise tagged - then all we have to do is give what might be the highest contract in the history of the NFL for a cornerback. Not going to happen.

Gabe Watson is a restricted FA. We'd have to give up a draft pick to get him - what round I don't know - but I imagine he'll have a mid-tier tender. I'll be interested to see what kind of pick it would take to land him... I imagine it will be too high a pick to get him, though.

We have to start thinking in more realistic terms for our FAs.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009   #14
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Long snapper

2. A new waterboy
Old 01-07-2009   #15
pittbull3
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 pittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden cover

1) Cutting down turnovers.
2) A creative defensive package. - Even the worst palyers on teams are better, when the scheme is extremely creative. Not many of the 3-4 scheme players go to other teams and have great careers. But the scheme is so good, it makes average player look even better! Bring the Heat!
pittbull3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009   #16
pittbull3
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 pittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden coverpittbull3 could be on the next Madden cover

Player-wise.....SAFETY and Outside LB!
pittbull3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009   #17
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Everybody already said what I think we need to work on. I DID notice, however, that this is the 1st time in 7 years that a thread like this has been started W/O mention of OL, specifically, LT, QB or a stud RB. That is pretty cool.

My
1. Get a REAL D philosophy- You said it great, BRT.
2. Get a handle on turnover: Need more on D and less on O.
Old 01-07-2009   #18
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

1) The economy

2) Childhood obesity
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009   #19
Texan in Japan
All Pro

Rep Power: 8212 Texan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan in Japan is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Hiring the "right" defensive coordinator.
2. Reducing turnovers and increasing take aways.

I think #1 will help us with #2 and #2 should help us in the red zone.

Texan, back in Texas!
Texan in Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009   #20
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 168146 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan in Japan View Post
1. Hiring the "right" defensive coordinator.
2. Reducing turnovers and increasing take aways.

I think #1 will help us with #2 and #2 should help us in the red zone.
Eins, Zwei, Drei...Yup even in German that's still 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read