Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 01-04-2009   #1
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default TexansSeminole's wish list mock

I'm only going to do rounds 1-4.

Round 1: DE, Everette Brown. Florida State. Junior

6-4 254. Can play weakside defensive end for us in the 4-3. Some people don't think he can play defensive end in the 4-3 in the NFL even though the guy has played nothing but defensive end in the 4-3 in college and has never played any form of linebacker. He is bigger than Mathis of the Colts with similar speed and quickness. Great moves as a pass rusher. Stats for career are 100 tackles, 46.5 TFL, 23 sacks.

Round 2: S, Michael Hamlin. Clemson. Senior

6-3 205. Haven't heard alot about this guy on this board and I really don't read alot of scouting articles, but I really, really like him. Had 102 tackles this year with 6 INTs. He has 308 tackles and 14 interceptions on his career. Everyone wants a ballhawk, and this guy is always around the ball.

Round 3: RB, James Davis, Clemson. Senior

5-11 210. Not exactly the goal line or short yardage back we need, but a good player to spell Slaton, because we also need another everydown type of back. Imagine if Slaton got hurt. His NFL stock really has been hurt by Clemson's lack of conventional offense, much like Slaton. He is also a good receiver out of the backfield, although his numbers don't show it too much because C.J. Spiller was Clemson's 3rd down back. 753 attempts 3,881 yards and 47 touchdowns on his career.

Round 4: OG, Sergio Render. Virginia Tech. Junior

6-3 307. I'm not sure if Render is more of a 3rd round guy. He may not even be a 4th round guy. As I said earlier I don't read alot of scouting stuff. I just really like the way he plays. Everytime I watch him he plays extremely well.

I realize that all these guys are from the ACC, and it is mostly because those are the games that I watch. I based this entire wish list off what I have seen this season, and in seasons prior. I based nothing from what I have read.

I'd like us to spend the rest of the draft on BPA on defense, preferably no corners.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 01-05-2009 at 12:24 PM.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47761 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: TexansSeminole's wish list mock

toss a coin Hardy or Everette
Hamlin could replace C.C. Brown coming off IR & FA
JD thunder to SS lightening
Render underclassman doubt he leaves early

beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009   #3
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I'm only going to do rounds 1-4.

Round 1: DE, Everette Brown. Florida State. Junior

6-4 254. Can play weakside defensive end for us in the 4-3. Some people don't think he can play defensive end in the 4-3 in the NFL even though the guy has played nothing but defensive end in the 4-3 in college and has never played any form of linebacker. He is bigger than Mathis of the Colts with similar speed and quickness. Great moves as a pass rusher. Stats for career are 100 tackles, 46.5 TFL, 23 sacks.

Orakpo won't be here, so I agree with this one. A worthy selection.

Round 2: S, Michael Hamlin. Clemson. Senior

6-3 205. Haven't heard alot about this guy on this board and I really don't read alot of scouting articles, but I really, really like him. Had 102 tackles this year with 6 INTs. He has 308 tackles and 14 interceptions on his career. Everyone wants a ballhawk, and this guy is always around the ball.

I've been on the Kam Chancellor (SS, Virginia Tech) bandwagon all year long. I ain't gettin off now. I absolutely want him as our second round choice. If he isn't there...Patrick Chung, SS, Oregon.

Round 3: RB, James Davis, Clemson. Senior

5-11 210. Not exactly the goal line or short yardage back we need, but a good player to spell Slaton, because we also need another everydown type of back. Imagine if Slaton got hurt. His NFL stock really has been hurt by Clemson's lack of conventional offense, much like Slaton. He is also a good receiver out of the backfield, although his numbers don't show it too much because C.J. Spiller was Clemson's 3rd down back. 753 attempts 3,881 yards and 47 touchdowns on his career.

Not a fan of either Clemson RB to be honest. Doesn't mean they aren't good, but there are other RB's I would take here instead.

Round 4: OG, Sergio Render. Virginia Tech. Junior

6-3 307. I'm not sure if Render is more of a 3rd round guy. He may not even be a 4th round guy. As I said earlier I don't read alot of scouting stuff. I just really like the way he plays. Everytime I watch him he plays extremely well.

Not a bad choice if he somehow falls here.

I realize that all these guys are from the ACC, and it is mostly because those are the games that I watch. I based this entire wish list off what I have seen this season, and in seasons prior. I based nothing from what I have read.

Stick to what you know. Nothin wrong with that. You know the ACC better than anyone else on this board.

I'd like us to spend the rest of the draft on BPA on defense, preferably no corners.

DL and LBs. Maybe some more OL depth.

Just my thoughts...
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009   #4
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Hamlin. As mentioned in a different thread, that might be a little high, but it is still very early. He could shoot up the boards. Who knows with fringe guys at this point. I'm not too keen on stocking up on Clemson guys. They always have top 25 teams and underachieve. They get great recruits but their teams never seem to play to their potential.
Old 01-06-2009   #5
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
I like Hamlin. As mentioned in a different thread, that might be a little high, but it is still very early. He could shoot up the boards. Who knows with fringe guys at this point. I'm not too keen on stocking up on Clemson guys. They always have top 25 teams and underachieve. They get great recruits but their teams never seem to play to their potential.
Yea, I know what you mean. Their defense was actually pretty decent this year. Early in the year the front 7 really got exposed against Alabama and looked really shaken for the next couple of games, but they picked it up toward the end of the season.

I just really like these two players, despite the fact that it seems like Clemson has suffered from poor coaching recently.

Where do you have Davis and Hamlin rated at this point YTF? Just in terms of round.

Bah, I really like Chancellor too, I wouldn't be upset at all if he was taken in the second by the Texans. Big dude at 6'4 221.
Old 01-06-2009   #6
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Yea, I know what you mean. Their defense was actually pretty decent this year. Early in the year the front 7 really got exposed against Alabama and looked really shaken for the next couple of games, but they picked it up toward the end of the season.

I just really like these two players, despite the fact that it seems like Clemson has suffered from poor coaching recently.

Where do you have Davis and Hamlin rated at this point YTF? Just in terms of round.

Bah, I really like Chancellor too, I wouldn't be upset at all if he was taken in the second by the Texans. Big dude at 6'4 221.
I've only got a top 100 board right now. It's up in Lawrence, and I'm hoping to get that up on here in the coming week. With that said, Hamlin was in the low 70's to mid 70's if I remember correctly. I don't have access to the file right now to check unfortunately. I am pretty sure that Davis was not one of my top 100 players to this point. I think Davis is more of a late 4th to 5th round guy.
Old 01-07-2009   #7
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1283 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Per gbn, Chancellor is returning to school.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-07-2009   #8
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston Texan View Post
Per gbn, Chancellor is returning to school.
That's good to an extent. He could probably wind up as a first rounder if he has a good year next year. I'd bet Bud Foster has something to do with that decision.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read