Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-10-2005   #1
hou059
Veteran

Default Anyone here feel the same?

My biggest concern this off-season is the coaching of the lines. At times the o-line looks like the worst team in the league and other times they give Carr time and open lanes for Davis but it's not consistant and that worries me. Blame the o-line for not blocking but blame the staff for not putting better lineman on the roster and on the field. The depth is poor to say the least on both lines and what really kills us is when a starter goes down and we have to put a in-experienced back up who lacks the skills like Milford Brown. This guy gave up more sacks and qb hurrys in one game against Cleveland game than i think anyone lineman has all season for the Texans. Yes the lines need help but we have to be realistic, the chances of drafting a lineman in the 2nd or third round and having them turn the o-line around are slim to none. But the least the Texans can do is draft quality lineman for depth, expecially at guard position!
hou059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005   #2
Txnpride
Veteran

I think the only"quick fix" will be thru free-agency.Mcnair is going to have to drop some coin to fix this problem.We have enough Offensive weapons to make a run at the playoffs this year,but if we dont have any protection,or Holes being opened for our running backs.....It will be another season of watching D.C and D.D not being used to thier potential.
Txnpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005   #3
shinerbock_girl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 shinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVP
Send a message via MSN to shinerbock_girl Send a message via Yahoo to shinerbock_girl

Does anyone know where they are going to play Tim Cheatwood, offensive or defense??? The more i read about this guy the more i like him....
shinerbock_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005   #4
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

What do you all think about Capers not allowing Pendry to interview with the Dolphins?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005   #5
hou059
Veteran

Can he play guard? Hell, if he can then lets give him a shot! lol I think McNair needs to go after another quality lineman and maybe create a pair of good bookend Tackles for Carr. Or go after a quality C who can make that o-line better up the middle. Our center needs to be a leader and a damn hoss! McKinney...just isn't cutting it right now.
Old 01-10-2005   #6
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Would people around here be happy if the Texans brass just went after Olinemen this off season?
Old 01-10-2005   #7
hou059
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano
What do you all think about Capers not allowing Pendry to interview with the Dolphins?

Oh really? Wow, that's news to me. Obviously Capers thinks he is worth keeping or that it would just be another hassle to find a line coach. Maybe no one wants his job!
Sponsored links
Old 01-10-2005   #8
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Yeah it was reported in The Chronicle last Friday 01-07-05. They pretty much said that Capers gave an impression that he wasn't too thrilled about losing two coaches to the same team or something to that effect.
Old 01-10-2005   #9
hou059
Veteran

Yeah...I don't blame him there. Bringing in a new coach is too much of a hassle ya know. Gotta teach the dude the offense or the defense, gotta develope chemistry with his fellow coaches and players. I would think it would slow things down...something the organization can't do right now.
Old 01-10-2005   #10
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Worst of all it would mean our offensive line would have to learn a whole new blocking scheme again.
Old 01-10-2005   #11
hou059
Veteran

Yeah...they haven't even grasped this one!
Old 01-10-2005   #12
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Would people around here be happy if the Texans brass just went after Olinemen this off season?
I might be, except that they do also need a better pass rush on D and I'm concerned about new players not making a big enough impact on a O-line where they have to learn the blocking scheme. We can't just stick with bad players forever, though. McKinney needs to be replaced for sure.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005   #13
BornOrange
All Pro

Rep Power: 15 BornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVPBornOrange was voted MVP

Quote:
As I said in an earlier post, Capers keeping Pendry around ought to make the "Fire Palmer" very happy. Pendry has had a lot more experience as an offensive coordinator than as a line coach, including being Capers' OC at Carolina. Maybe Capers is keeping Pendry around in case he needs a new offensive coordinator in a year or so.

However, anyone who thinks that Palmer is too conservative will probably be a little disappointed in Pendry as the new guy. Pendry was also Marty Schottenheimer's OC at Kansas City and Wade Phillips' OC at Buffalo.
BornOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005   #14
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

There are quality o linemen who are free agents and a few are centers, like the seahawks center who is a 10 year vet and I think he made a probowl
F-minus67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005   #15
mike moffat
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6673 mike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respected
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by hou059
Can he play guard? Hell, if he can then lets give him a shot! lol I think McNair needs to go after another quality lineman and maybe create a pair of good bookend Tackles for Carr. Or go after a quality C who can make that o-line better up the middle. Our center needs to be a leader and a damn hoss! McKinney...just isn't cutting it right now.
I guess Carl Mauck is too old! He was a team leader.
Old 01-11-2005   #16
Jester
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hou059
My biggest concern this off-season is the coaching of the lines. At times the o-line looks like the worst team in the league and other times they give Carr time and open lanes for Davis but it's not consistant and that worries me. Blame the o-line for not blocking but blame the staff for not putting better lineman on the roster and on the field. The depth is poor to say the least on both lines and what really kills us is when a starter goes down and we have to put a in-experienced back up who lacks the skills like Milford Brown. This guy gave up more sacks and qb hurrys in one game against Cleveland game than i think anyone lineman has all season for the Texans. Yes the lines need help but we have to be realistic, the chances of drafting a lineman in the 2nd or third round and having them turn the o-line around are slim to none. But the least the Texans can do is draft quality lineman for depth, expecially at guard position!
I totally agree. The offensive line needs to be rebuilt. Carr spent way to much time looking up at the roof of Reliant Stadium. I hope the Texans make some moves during the off season or draft a few o-lineman high in the draft.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read