Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-03-2009   #1
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10016 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Madden to Retire?

Great write up about Madden and I hope Collinsworth replaces him

MILLEN’S PRESENCE WILL FUEL MADDEN RUMORS
Posted by Mike Florio on January 3, 2009, 4:45 p.m. EST

We continue to be intrigued by the sudden appearance, after more than four months of exile, of former Lions CEO Matt Millen on NBC’s playoff edition of Football Night In America.

After watching his interview with Dan Patrick and then seeing him sitting at the grown-ups’ table with Bob Costas and the rest of the gang, here’s our working theory.

In our estimation, John Madden will retire from broadcasting after the season, Cris Collinsworth will take Madden’s place on NBC’s Sunday Night Football, and Millen will replace Collinsworth on FNIA.

We’ve already been hearing rumors from media sources in the Bay Area of a Madden retirement from television, followed by possible return to the Raiders in a front-office role.

We recently investigated those rumors, but couldn’t make the onion bloom.

What we did learn, however, is that Madden and NBC Sports guru Dick Ebersol agreed upon the execution of Madden’s six-year contract with the network that both sides would assess the situation after three years.

Upon completion of NBC’s coverage of Super Bowl XLIII, Madden will conclude his third year with the network.

Millen’s presence seemed too abrupt and nonchalant to have no deeper meaning. So, yeah, we’re convinced that something’s going on. And it very well could be that, in four weeks, we’ll be seeing the last of John Madden on network television.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/...madden-rumors/
Old 01-03-2009   #2
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Madden to Retire?

time for the unoriginal Favre jokes to commence
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009   #3
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15235 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

Millen was pretty good when he was on Fox. I guess he couldnt possibly be worse as a color guy than he was as a gm.
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009   #4
dickieb
Veteran

Rep Power: 148 dickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respecteddickieb is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope this is true - I can't stand John Madden! Sometimes I watch the game on mute so I don't have to listen to him. He's not a bad guy - I just can't stand to listen to him. Is it just me or does anyone else feel this way?
Old 01-03-2009   #5
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickieb View Post
I hope this is true - I can't stand John Madden! Sometimes I watch the game on mute so I don't have to listen to him. He's not a bad guy - I just can't stand to listen to him. Is it just me or does anyone else feel this way?
I love Madden. He is my favorite football commentator.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009   #6
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
I think it is just you.

I'll miss Madden if true. Love his commentary. Boom!
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009   #7
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10016 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I feel that same way about Kornheiser
Old 01-03-2009   #8
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

I've always liked Madden. If he retires from the booth, it would be great to see him do something with the Raiders. Anything to get Al Davis out of there.

I'm not sure I can stand to listen to Millen give commentary. How can you take the guy seriously after he failed so miserably as a NFL GM.
Old 01-03-2009   #9
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 81427 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I hope this is true - I can't stand John Madden!
I can't stand Collingsworth!! This will be a huge downgrade in the booth IMO.

Good thing I'm half asleep for half the Sunday night games from being at Reliant all day.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009   #10
Mailman
Pwned by Hakeem

Rep Power: 3020 Mailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respectedMailman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No, it's not just you. I've been sick of Mr. Maddenobvious for a very long time.

He's so overrated. I do not understand why people think he's a good color commentator.
Mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009   #11
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Madden was great when he was with Pat Summerall, but has appeared to be mailing it in his entire time with Michael's. He was at one time the best since Cossell but that time past a long time ago.

Keep Al Michael s and add someone that will compliment the game on the field, that is the entertainment, not the guy in the box.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009   #12
JayCee
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 JayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden cover

i love Madden and Michaels - i think they're great, especially when you compare them to the MNF commentary team.
JayCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009   #13
mancunian
Daleks Rule

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Rep Power: 833 mancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respectedmancunian is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
I think it is just you.

I'll miss Madden if true. Love his commentary. Boom!
Nope, I dont "hate" Madden I've just gone off his commentary recently.
mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009   #14
sixfour
Site Contributor

Section: 136/350/353
Rep Power: 40 sixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respectedsixfour is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I too am glad this buffoon is gone. Man he made games hard to listen to.
Old 01-05-2009   #15
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCee View Post
i love Madden and Michaels - i think they're great, especially when you compare them to the MNF commentary team.
oh god yes.
Tony ("those red Texans unis look stupid, they look like ketchup bottles") Kornheiser is worse than Dennis Miller was. All he does is ask idiotic Jerry Springer-type questions to stir the pot. Tirico can't hold a candle to Michaels as far as being a play-by-play guy goes. The only person that's proficient on MNF is Jaws.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009   #16
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

There's nothing wrong with pointing out that Madden "was" great and that now he seems a bit lost at times and can be hard to listen to. It happens to all of them eventually. I won't miss the John Madden we have today. I'll continue to miss the one from 10-12 years ago who was outstanding at what he did.
Old 01-05-2009   #17
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I dunno, but I would hardly say riding around the county in a private, personally-customized bus and then calling NFL gamess every week as "work". But Madden is probably stinkin rich by now, so he can "hang-it up" if he chooses.
I caught Millen with Costas and he was impressive IMO.
BTW, anybody else catch former Madden sidekick Summerall calling the Cotton Bowl game ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009   #18
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Madden. I like Collinsworth, although a bit goofy at times. The rest of the crew on FNIA are pathetic. They think they're being funny when they're actually being stupid. I'd lump them in with the Tony Kornflakes of the bidness.

Bob Costas, Keith Olberman, Dan Patrick and Tony Kornhole = Pathetic!
Old 01-05-2009   #19
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I still like Madden, but he does seem lost at times. In fact, I think Frank Caliendo is more in tune with the old Madden than Madden himself is at times.

His books were good too.
Old 01-05-2009   #20
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I read somewhere where John said it was getting too hard to travel (even though he has a palace on wheels) and it wasn't fun anymore.

I would think whatever type of contract he has he would run that out and be done with the whole thing.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read