Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-03-2009   #1
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 49705 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82
Post Texans could lose Shanny?

If Mike Shanahan chooses to coach next season, the Texans could lose their offensive coordinator for the third consecutive season. It's no secret that Mike Shanahan wants to coach with his son, Texans offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, at some point. He coached receivers and quarterbacks in his first two seasons under Gary Kubiak before he was elevated to offensive coordinator last season in place of Mike Sherman (Texas A&M), who had replaced Troy Calhoun (Air Force).

Houston Chronicle

brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009   #2
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans could lose Shanny?

It was my very first reaction when I heard Shanny Sr. was fired. I thought either Jr might go to Denver to join their offensive staff, or he'd follow his dad if he got a job.

This was always inevitable. I think the BEST we can hope for is that Shanny Sr takes a yeear off, because if he takes a job for 09, he'll definitely want Jr with him... but I think there's a fairly good chance that even if Sr coaches next year - Kyle will stick around w/ the Texans for one season, then join him in '10.

Sigh. I want Kyle to stay and learn a few years - but if he can do the same thing under his dad, and that's what they both want - why wouldn't he?

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009   #3
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

My guess is that he doesn't coach with his dad just yet. He hasn't even had the chance to be a full-time offensive coordinator so I think he'll stay here for at least a year until he leaves to go with his dad.
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009   #4
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Softball article to attract eyeballs. However, I wonder if Neoptism will be an issue with a Kyle Shanahan hiring, dependent upon the State and the entity's laws/policies.
Old 01-03-2009   #5
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1067 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Softball article to attract eyeballs. However, I wonder if Neoptism will be an issue with a Mike Shanahan hiring, dependent upon the State and the entity's laws/policies.
I disagree. It's a very legitimate topic. Sr and Jr have always said they wanted to work together, so with Sr moving on, it's a legit question to raise... one I raised myself on this board the second I heard the news about Sr's firing.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 01-03-2009   #6
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
My guess is that he doesn't coach with his dad just yet. He hasn't even had the chance to be a full-time offensive coordinator so I think he'll stay here for at least a year until he leaves to go with his dad.
That's my guess. A lot of times when fathers and sons are in the same bidness, the son wants to make his own way for a while. McNair is good to his coaching staff, and this is a good situation for him.

If he went with his dad, there would be a bright white spotlight on the nepotism issue when the inevitable bumps in the road happened with the transition. Alex Gibbs was some good cover for the inexperience issue in Houston.
Old 01-03-2009   #7
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
That's my guess. A lot of times when fathers and sons are in the same bidness, the son wants to make his own way for a while. McNair is good to his coaching staff, and this is a good situation for him.

If he went with his dad, there would be a bright white spotlight on the nepotism issue when the inevitable bumps in the road happened with the transition. Alex Gibbs was some good cover for the inexperience issue in Houston.
My gut is that he's here in 2009 even if Shanny Sr gets a job for 09. But he's gone in '10.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Sponsored links
Old 01-03-2009   #8
RipTraxx
Free Agent

Rep Power: 40 RipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respectedRipTraxx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to RipTraxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

Agreed the Gibbs hire helped a lot....

I dont think Jr is going anywhere. at 27/28 he's already an offensive coordinator. And plus i would think that a Kubiak is almost like Uncle Gary in a way being that he's been around him so long. He's gonna be around family regardless.
Old 01-03-2009   #9
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

How difficult would it be to replace a coordinator who has called all of 1 game? This is still Kubiak's offense, no matter who is the coordinator or play caller.

I found this section of McClain's blog more interesting:

Quote:
KUBIAK, SMITH BUSY: While Texans coach Gary Kubiak focuses on hiring a new defensive coordinator, defensive line coach and secondary coach, general manager Rick Smith has to concentrate on the draft, free agency and signing players like cornerback Dunta Robinson and middle linebacker DeMeco Ryans to long-term contracts.
Ryans has a year left on his contract but the Texans plan to sign him to a long-term extension.
Ryans is no surprise. But, I wonder how far along a re-up with Dunta is? I can't see Robinson getting the type of contract last year's free agent corners received. Also, wouldn't the new defensive coordinator want some input as to whether Robinson is the CB he wants?
Old 01-03-2009   #10
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Also, wouldn't the new defensive coordinator want some input as to whether Robinson is the CB he wants?
You're joking right? Why wouldn't the future defensive coordinator want the best corner the Texans have?
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009   #11
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

When we hired him, he mentioned he didn't want to work with his dad, he wanted to make a name for himself on his own. I don't think he wants to give up the chance to work with Andre Johnson and Steve Slaton to go work with Marc Bulger and Drew Bennett.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009   #12
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
When we hired him, he mentioned he didn't want to work with his dad, he wanted to make a name for himself on his own. I don't think he wants to give up the chance to work with Andre Johnson and Steve Slaton to go work with Marc Bulger and Drew Bennett.
Really, we have nothing to worry about in the short term unless Shanny changes his mind. He said he's not interested in a rebuilding situation, so St. Louis, Cleveland, Detroit, etc, are out. He's already rebuffed NYJ, which to me means the only chance he has to coach in '09 is in Dallas - and I can't IMAGINE that a control freak like Shanny Sr. would coach under that complete and total LUNATIC who runs the Cowboys. Then again - I thought the same thing about Mr. Sunshine (Parcells). Plus - even if Shanny did by some miracle end up in Dallas, I think it would be under the order that Garrett remain the OC.

So anyway - we're worried about nothing (in the short term).

MT - I've heard them both say they want to work together. I think Kyle doesn't want to NOW - but it's still worth discussing... it's probably more of a down-the-road thing.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 01-03-2009   #13
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 159 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Im not too worried about who is calling our plays, our offense is sick either way, it doesnt matter....

I would like to keep him though, just to avoid distraction...

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009   #14
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The only reason Kyle Shanahan might turn down his dad is because he's going to call the plays for Kubiak next season. He wants to follow in his father's footsteps and become a head coach. Calling the plays for the Texans for a couple of years might look better on his resume than working for his father right away.
If he really does want to be a HC, here is the place to do it. If I know Kubiak, he'll let Shanny take care of the offense on gamedays so Kubiak can focus on other things, including the QB play and clock management. If he goes with Daddy Shanny, I don't think he'd have too much control of the offense.
Old 01-03-2009   #15
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Oh, forgot to say - one other likely destination for Shanny Sr. IMO would be San Diego. I know the Chargers have said they won't can Norv Turner - but with their offensive weapons - and to have a guy who's a long-time division rival available? Man, I think that would be TOUGH for Shanny Sr. AND the Chargers to pass up.

I mean, I think SD would be well within their rights to can Turner with all the talent they have. They must know the only reason they're even in the playoffs is because of the crap division they're in.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 01-03-2009   #16
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Kyle will be here for as long as his contract states. Coaches aren't allowed to leave to a different team if it is a lateral move. The only way he gets out is if someone offers him a head coaching gig.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009   #17
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Oh, forgot to say - one other likely destination for Shanny Sr. IMO would be San Diego. I know the Chargers have said they won't can Norv Turner - but with their offensive weapons - and to have a guy who's a long-time division rival available? Man, I think that would be TOUGH for Shanny Sr. AND the Chargers to pass up.

I mean, I think SD would be well within their rights to can Turner with all the talent they have. They must know the only reason they're even in the playoffs is because of the crap division they're in.
I think Seattle's a place to keep an eye on. Mora's said that his dream job is coaching his alma matter, even though he's slated to take over for Holmgren.
Old 01-03-2009   #18
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS View Post
Kyle will be here for as long as his contract states. Coaches aren't allowed to leave to a different team if it is a lateral move. The only way he gets out is if someone offers him a head coaching gig.
It happens, though. It seems like all the teams have to do is slap the "assistant head coach" tag on the job description, and it gets around the rule (somehow).

Again, not that I think it's going to happen - but that rule has no teeth because of that workaround.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
Old 01-03-2009   #19
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Softball article to attract eyeballs.
Old 01-03-2009   #20
4Texans
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46 4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected4Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree that Lil' Shanny will eventually coach with his dad, but not yet. Kyle will no doubt call the plays next year for Kubes, and really get a feel for being THE OC. Coaching with Kubes, and having that kind of responsibility, is like being with family anyway. After a couple of more years of success on his own, Kyle will go coach with his dad.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read