Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-03-2009   #1
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149846 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What the Texans' Defense NEEDS...

Three words baby...Buddy... Freakin' Ryan. Bring him out of retirement and let him rule that defense like a despot. His record as a head coach is spotty, but as a defensive coordinator he is one of the absolute best. If he doesn't want it...let's hire Jeri Ryan but only if she agrees to wear the 7 of 9 catsuit on the sidelines.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009   #2
mike moffat
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6673 mike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What the Texans' Defense NEEDS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
Three words baby...Buddy... Freakin' Ryan. Bring him out of retirement and let him rule that defense like a despot. His record as a head coach is spotty, but as a defensive coordinator he is one of the absolute best. If he doesn't want it...let's hire Jeri Ryan but only if she agrees to wear the 7 of 9 catsuit on the sidelines.
How about Meg Ryan?
I'm with you Mr. Head (pun from another thread) let's get someone with some balls who will get the defense whipped into their full potential.
Old 01-03-2009   #3
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, him throwing rabbit punches at Shanahan jr on the sidelines would be awesome!
Old 01-03-2009   #4
Old School
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 876 Old School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Old School Send a message via Skype™ to Old School

And the good thing is that Shanni is young and quick enough that he could bob and weave to avoid any shots Ryan took at him.
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009   #5
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post

I get where you're going with this but Buddy Ryan is 74 years old or thereabouts and probably not up to the task of coaching a defense. It would be nice to find one of his disciples however.
Old 01-03-2009   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I get where you're going with this but Buddy Ryan is 74 years old or thereabouts and probably not up to the task of coaching a defense. It would be nice to find one of his disciples however.
Jeff Fisher is one...he's done pretty well.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009   #7
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12220 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Yeah, him throwing rabbit punches at Shanahan jr on the sidelines would be awesome!
Like watching Don Zimmer falling over himself.
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-03-2009   #8
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Mike and Leslie Frazier played on the '85 Bears 46 defense, and have had some coaching success in the NFL. We we talking about former Oiler Marcus Robertson yesterday, who played under Ryan for a season and now is an assistant with the Titans.

But how many of these guys, even his sons Rex and Rob, still deploy the 46 defense? I haven't seen it used in some time. I think these coaches realize that it takes an extraordinary collection of talent on the defensive front to make that defense work. The type of talent the Texans don't have just yet. Do the Texans need some of Buddy Ryan's attitude on the defense? Couldn't hurt. But, I don't think using Buddy Ryan's defensive schemes would be a great idea.
Old 01-03-2009   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Mike and Leslie Frazier played on the '85 Bears 46 defense, and have had some coaching success in the NFL. We we talking about former Oiler Marcus Robertson yesterday, who played under Ryan for a season and now is an assistant with the Titans.

But how many of these guys, even his sons Rex and Rob, still deploy the 46 defense? I haven't seen it used in some time. I think these coaches realize that it takes an extraordinary collection of talent on the defensive front to make that defense work. The type of talent the Texans don't have just yet. Do the Texans need some of Buddy Ryan's attitude on the defense? Couldn't hurt. But, I don't think using Buddy Ryan's defensive schemes would be a great idea.
Coach Fisher doesn't even use the 46 look anymore.....if he does it's rare. I know you know better since I've been reading you for years but Ryan didn't use the 46 all the time like many folks think. The 46 was a different front he used depending on down and distance...and talent available. His base defensive formation was an aggressive gap penetrating style 4-3.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009   #10
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

It needs to have a Jim Johnson defensive scheme. But for that scheme to work, you have to very strong against the run, and make tthe other team know that it can't run. The Eagles lead the league in defending the run.

So, you need the personnel to make that scheme work. Do we have enough talent to carry out that type of scheme? I think we're still a couple of defense-heavy drafts away from that.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009   #11
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109572 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Coach Fisher doesn't even use the 46 look anymore.....if he does it's rare. I know you know better since I've been reading you for years but Ryan didn't use the 46 all the time like many folks think. The 46 was a different front he used depending on down and distance...and talent available. His base defensive formation was an aggressive gap penetrating style 4-3.
I like watching this kind of defense.

It's night & day compared to the 3 years of watching Dick Smiths read & react defenses.

What was Smiths highest rated defense?

I hope the days of read & react are over.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009   #12
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I know you know better since I've been reading you for years but Ryan didn't use the 46 all the time like many folks think.
Right, but that's how he made his name. And I think that's the type of attacking defense most fans are thinking of when they speak of Ryan. If you look back at Ryan's career and the players he had on the defensive front (Page, Eller, Hampton, Dent, Singletary, Marshall, White, Jerome Brown, Joyner, Childress, Sean Jones, etc.), he wasn't working with mediocre talent. I'm not suggesting that Ryan didn't play a part in their development. Just that he had a lot of talent to develop. A defense can be aggressive with that type of ability up front.

The Texans have talent on defense. Mario has as much talent as any d-lineman currently in the NFL. DeMeco is as close to Mike Singletary as you can find in the league. But, I don't see the type of overwheming talent that can get to the QB consistantly, or corners that can play on an island. If the Texans were to look to model a successful NFL defense, Monte Kiffin's cover 2 would be the best way to go.

Okoye would be best served playing as a one gap under tackle, and not face NFL guards straight up. The Texans LBs (Ryans, Diles, Adibi) all fit the cover 2 LB mold with thir ability to chase and cover. And the Texans corners (Reeves, Bennett, and even Robinson) would be best utilizied facing the play, rather than having to turn and run. I still think the Texans would need an edge rusher to allow Mario to move to LDE. And a couple of safeties with range and some pop. But, they need that no matter what defensive scheme they go to. Right now, I would be looking for a coordinator with a Tampa 2 background.
Old 01-03-2009   #13
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The Texans have talent on defense. Mario has as much talent as any d-lineman currently in the NFL. DeMeco is as close to Mike Singletary as you can find in the league. But, I don't see the type of overwheming talent that can get to the QB consistantly, or corners that can play on an island. If the Texans were to look to model a successful NFL defense, Monte Kiffin's cover 2 would be the best way to go.

Okoye would be best served playing as a one gap under tackle, and not face NFL guards straight up. The Texans LBs (Ryans, Diles, Adibi) all fit the cover 2 LB mold with thir ability to chase and cover. And the Texans corners (Reeves, Bennett, and even Robinson) would be best utilizied facing the play, rather than having to turn and run. I still think the Texans would need an edge rusher to allow Mario to move to LDE. And a couple of safeties with range and some pop. But, they need that no matter what defensive scheme they go to. Right now, I would be looking for a coordinator with a Tampa 2 background.
We certainly seem to have some of the pieces for this type of defense, but I can't really think of another Tampa 2 team that has had nearly the success the Bucs have. The Bears have had a couple really good years but after that I can't think of another. Indy had a good year or two but they are built so uniquely because of their offense's potency. Even with that offense more times than not they are nothing special. Who am I missing? Don't get me wrong, I do find this idea appealing, mostly because of the fact that I believe Mario, Amobi, DeMeco and Xavier give us 4 almost perfect front 7 fits. (TJ would actually be another good fit) Another question, who are the potential coordinators we would be looking at?
Old 01-03-2009   #14
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
We certainly seem to have some of the pieces for this type of defense, but I can't really think of another Tampa 2 team that has had nearly the success the Bucs have. The Bears have had a couple really good years but after that I can't think of another. Indy had a good year or two but they are built so uniquely because of their offense's potency.
The Colts get more out of less from their defense than any team in the league, year in and year out. They start one 1st round draft pick (Freeney) and have zero high priced free agents on defense. They survive because they are committed to the system. The Colts defense has had a couple of poor years due to injuries, specifically Bob Sanders. But, they've been a top 10 defense in points allowed during 4 of Dungy's 7 seasons as head coach, including this season.

Many teams use elements of zone schemes for run blocking, few are totally committed to the concept as the Texans are and the Broncos were. Similarly, all teams utilize cover 2 schemes, but few are as committed as the Bucs and Colts. I would want to bring in a defensive coach that has worked under one of the masters, Kiffin or Dungy. Alan Williams has coached DBs for Dungy and the Colts for 7 seasons, and was in Tampa Bay for a year. If Herm Edwards is fired in KC, that would be a consideration as he was a long time Dungy assistant. There are probably others (including Rod Marinelli, whom I'm not crazy about). I just think that the Texans defense has lacked an identity (well, other than bad), and a committment to the Tampa 2 defense could give them that.
Old 01-03-2009   #15
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 87851 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Who?

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009   #16
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But, they've been a top 10 defense in points allowed during 4 of Dungy's 7 seasons as head coach, including this season.
That also has alot to do with their QB not making stupid decisions. I agree with your main point though.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009   #17
texanhead08
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15235 texanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanhead08 is a quality contributor and well respected

The 46 was invented not because of the great talent but because his Bears defense couldn't get much of a pass rush in those days. He said I'm gonna send everyone if I have too its called the 46 because that was the number of the strong safety Doug Plank who was a big hitter in his time.
texanhead08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009   #18
rarazz00
VOLUME 10

Rep Power: 114 rarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respectedrarazz00 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanhead08 View Post
The 46 was invented not because of the great talent but because his Bears defense couldn't get much of a pass rush in those days. He said I'm gonna send everyone if I have too its called the 46 because that was the number of the strong safety Doug Plank who was a big hitter in his time.
EXACTAMUNDO
Old 01-04-2009   #19
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
It needs to have a Jim Johnson defensive scheme. But for that scheme to work, you have to very strong against the run, and make tthe other team know that it can't run. The Eagles lead the league in defending the run.

So, you need the personnel to make that scheme work. Do we have enough talent to carry out that type of scheme? I think we're still a couple of defense-heavy drafts away from that.
Buddy Ryan and the Eagles.

Jim Johnson and the Eagles.

Someone said the 46 isn't used anymore, but that Jim Johnson defense looks awfully Buddy Ryan'ish to me. The attitude does, at least, above everything else.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009   #20
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1228 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

A GOOD DC THATS IT WELL AND A FEW GOOD SECONDARY GUYS.
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read