Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-02-2009   #1
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Manning wins 3rd MVP in landslide

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3805670

Quote:
NEW YORK -- Peyton Manning has joined Brett Favre as the only three-time winners of The Associated Press NFL Most Valuable Player Award.

The Indianapolis Colts quarterback was a landslide winner Friday in balloting by a nationwide panel of 50 sports writers and broadcasters who cover the NFL. Manning also was the league MVP in 2003, when he shared it with Tennessee quarterback Steve McNair, and in 2004.

Favre, then with Green Bay, took MVP honors in 1995 and '96 before sharing it with Detroit running back Barry Sanders in 1997.

Manning received 32 votes, far ahead of Miami quarterback Chad Pennington and Atlanta running back Michael Turner.
Old 01-02-2009   #2
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Manning wins 3rd MVP in landslide

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
He would have been my choice. There was a strong argument for Chad though.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009   #3
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
I don't know about 'strong' argument but the fact that you can even consider Pennington over Manning without being labeled criminally insane just shows you how far Pennington's play improved with the move to Miami...

...regarding Manning, you have to love a QB that finds a way to actually get HEALTHIER as a season progresses. And he did this without much of a running game to speak of. The guy was not right physically for half the season yet still shows himself to be the best player in the league (again) and arguably the greatest quarterback of ALL TIME (it hurts to say it, but its just true. he is roboQB). If he plays at this level another 2 years, he gets my vote. Move over Montana.

The Colts got a tough matchup by having to face a resurrected and rejuvenated Chargers squad on the road, but Manning will bring his A Game and the Chargers will be eliminated. You know Tennessee doesn't want any piece of Manning.
Old 01-02-2009   #4
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
I don't know about 'strong' argument but the fact that you can even consider Pennington over Manning without being labeled criminally insane just shows you how far Pennington's play improved with the move to Miami...

...regarding Manning, you have to love a QB that finds a way to actually get HEALTHIER as a season progresses. And he did this without much of a running game to speak of. The guy was not right physically for half the season yet still shows himself to be the best player in the league (again) and arguably the greatest quarterback of ALL TIME (it hurts to say it, but its just true. he is roboQB). If he plays at this level another 2 years, he gets my vote. Move over Montana.

The Colts got a tough matchup by having to face a resurrected and rejuvenated Chargers squad on the road, but Manning will bring his A Game and the Chargers will be eliminated. You know Tennessee doesn't want any piece of Manning.
And to think when he was drafted I actually thought Leaf would be the better pro. I found Manning to be kind of a wuss at Tenn and thought he and his happy feet would fail since he couldn't win big games. I watched Wash St and though Leaf had all the tools to stand in the pocket and play. Boy was I wrong on that one.
Old 01-02-2009   #5
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
And to think when he was drafted I actually thought Leaf would be the better pro. I found Manning to be kind of a wuss at Tenn and thought he and his happy feet would fail since he couldn't win big games. I watched Wash St and though Leaf had all the tools to stand in the pocket and play. Boy was I wrong on that one.
I didn't think either one of them were that special in college, but I think Manning really dedicated himself once he became a pro. 100% dedication and he learned every trick in the book to avoid sacks, draw penalties, etc. His mental game and his situation awareness is just so sharp.

I probably leaned a bit towards Leaf because of what school they went to. Bledsoe had come out of Wash. St. and Shuler came out of Tennessee...obviously Leaf was horrible and Manning is an all time great. Manning was better prepared and had the desire to be the greatest and win.
Old 01-02-2009   #6
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I used to hate him for running up the score on everyone, and I still dislike him for that, but you gotta respect the guy. I want to go see the Colts game next season just so I can say I've seen Peyton Manning play in person.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009   #7
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Rep Power: 258 Blazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Blazing Arrow

I am suprised that Young did not get the nod. I mean without him going down in game one I do not think we are the top seed in the playoffs.

RIP Steve ... you showed us what a warrior truly is.
Blazing Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-02-2009   #8
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I would now rate Peyton M. along with Elway as the greatest QBs of our time.
Oh what the hell, the 2 grestest QBs who ever played.
And just our luck, he's going stronger than ever and we gotta keep playing him & the Colts twice a year every year until he finally retires.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009   #9
hot pickle
Canada Eh

Rep Power: 2074 hot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respectedhot pickle is a quality contributor and well respected

what happened to drew brees... i hate the saints but i think he should have won....
hot pickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009   #10
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

On that note, I miss Steve McNair. Sure, he killed us with his runs up the middle, but you rarely see a QB play with that much balls anymore. He should have retired before he went to the Ravens.
Old 01-02-2009   #11
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunta23 View Post
what happened to drew brees... i hate the saints but i think he should have won....
Brees had the numbers, but the Saints didn't do as well in the 2nd half of the season and missed the playoffs. It's pretty convenient that details of Peyton Manning's knee surgeries came out right before AP writers voted on awards.

BTW, I applaud whoever voted for Michael Turner. Matt Ryan is getting a lot of credit for an offense Michael Turner has done a lot more for.
Old 01-02-2009   #12
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Rep Power: 258 Blazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
On that note, I miss Steve McNair. Sure, he killed us with his runs up the middle, but you rarely see a QB play with that much balls anymore. He should have retired before he went to the Ravens.
He did not even need to retire he could have re-neged his contract and the Titans would have kept him. It was the idea of the whole thing like the Titans bait and switched him on his contract. He was such and iron man for the Titans that he felt he deserve the contract money and IMO he did.

Old 01-02-2009   #13
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazing Arrow View Post
He did not even need to retire he could have re-neged his contract and the Titans would have kept him. It was the idea of the whole thing like the Titans bait and switched him on his contract. He was such and iron man for the Titans that he felt he deserve the contract money and IMO he did.
He never fully recovered from that bruised sternum. You can't tell me the Steve McNair in Baltimore was the same guy that tore our defense time and again with the Titans.
Old 01-02-2009   #14
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 33666 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazing Arrow View Post
He did not even need to retire he could have re-neged his contract and the Titans would have kept him.
Knowing Bud, if Steve would have reneged his contract, he'd get traded to Idaho for a sack of potatoes afterwards.
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009   #15
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan View Post
He never fully recovered from that bruised sternum. You can't tell me the Steve McNair in Baltimore was the same guy that tore our defense time and again with the Titans.
Not at all. Plus he was forced to learn a new system and that was not really McNairs style either. He missed a lot of practice time which probably bit him in Baltimore. Plus the rat-birds are a plague.

I would have like to see what Young could have learned under McNair more then what he has under Kerry.

Old 01-02-2009   #16
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg no re View Post
Knowing Bud, if Steve would have reneged his contract, he'd get traded to Idaho for a sack of potatoes afterwards.
Na it would have been exactly what Bud wanted. Keep Mac9 until he retires and let him teach Young a thing or two all on the cheap. With Young signing it would have been hard to bite that much salary cap in one position.

Old 01-02-2009   #17
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

i'd give it to Rivers
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009   #18
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWJD View Post
1-15 to division winners says it all.

Manning is a popular guy, though, so it's not much of a surprise. Not saying he doesn't deserve it, but I just think there is a more deserving player all things considered.

I'm actually hoping the Dolphins go deep in the playoffs. I doubt it will happen, but I'd still like to see it.
Old 01-02-2009   #19
mattieuk
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 33391 mattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respectedmattieuk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
1-15 to division winners says it all.

Manning is a popular guy, though, so it's not much of a surprise. Not saying he doesn't deserve it, but I just think there is a more deserving player all things considered.

I'm actually hoping the Dolphins go deep in the playoffs. I doubt it will happen, but I'd still like to see it.
I think its a tight call between the two really. The buck for me ensd with, who was absolutely essential to their team. I don't think anyone else could have produced the 2nd half of the season other than Peyton. On the other hand, whilst Pennington did brilliantly this year, real good, I don't think he was the only person who could have produced in that way this season (not taking anything away from him, him and the rest of the Dolphins deserve massive credit for this year).

That said, I'd be more than willing to be proved wrong in the playoffs at some point though.
mattieuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009   #20
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

this is why the award shouldn't go to player most valuable to their team. pure speculation, zero way to prove it at all
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read