Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-13-2004   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95473 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The turf . . . again

Article from the Chronicle:

Soggy conditions

A few Colts complained about the grass playing field at Reliant Stadium.

"The field was wet," quarterback Peyton Manning said. "That surprised me. Has it rained here lately?"

Asked whether he thought the Texans might purposely have wet the field to slow them down, Manning replied with a wink: "You said that, I didn't."

If they actually do wet the field down to slow the opposing teams down, (which I'm sure they don't) then they all need to be fired. Because all you need to do is rewatch the tape of that Wand/Freeney matchup to see how much Wand liked the footing out there.

So, for all you "in-the-knows" out there, what's the real reason why they wet the field down before the game?

Last edited by Marcus; 12-13-2004 at 10:25 AM.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004   #2
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't seem to bother Freeney very much. Didn't he have 2 or 3 sacks?
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004   #3
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75697 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
Article from the Chronicle:

Soggy conditions

So, for all you "in-the-knows" out there, what's the real reason why they wet the field down before the game?

Stupidity. I guess they're trying to minimize dust in the air from the dry dirt. It's a bad decision. Why play football in the mud when you don't have to?
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004   #4
wiley2002
Veteran

Angry

Didn't seem to keep the Colts from winning thanks to a couple of blown calls.
wiley2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004   #5
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

FIELD TURF!
FIELD TURF!
FIELD TURF!
FIELD TURF!

Come on guys, lets just go ahead and bring it in. I want to see a bright green field again with the blue end zones.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75697 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

That would look really nice.
Old 12-13-2004   #7
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

That green soggy mess looks so bad. The hunks of mud flying around ...ugh!
I got HDTV to look at that?
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-13-2004   #8
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
Real grass
Real grass
Real grass
Real grass
Real grass

yay!!!!

If it would grow in Reliant I'd be right there with you Bud. It's year three and it hasn't looked really good since Seth Payne planted Quincy Carter into it back in 2002. Maybe Carter's stash broke open and poisoned our field?

For whatever the reason (lack of sunlight's probably more likely than Cowboy candy) the grass don't grow right in Reliant. You'd think that if they were going to get it to grow they'd have been able to do that by now.

There are people who do nothing but work on stadium fields for a living with all kinds of degrees in, I dunno "Turf-ology" or "Advanced Grass Theory" (not the Ricky Williams kind) and they get paid lots of money to make football fields the best they can be. Those guys haven't been able to get Reliant going in the right direction though.

A tray system of Field Turf doesn't mean they can't ever go back to grass if they someday find some weird supergrass (again, not the Ricky Williams kind) that can grow in trays, in the shade, while 300 pound men stomp on it. It's not the end of the dream Bud, it's just a good short term solution until groundskeepers learn to work miracles.
Old 12-13-2004   #9
Harry Biped
Rookie

It is my understanding that you cannot use field turf in a "tray" system because of the base that has to be laid beneath the surface. I've heard that multiple times when talking to people about field turf. What the Texans should do is have at least 2 natural surfaces, one in the stadium and one offsite in a location where it gets plenty of exposure to sunlight and natural elements. Then they should switch them out before every game, or every other game, so the surfaces will always be in good condition. Another good idea would be to stop playing soccer at Relient. What a joke that is. They can play soccer at Roberston Stadium or one of the dozens of larger high school facilities.
Harry Biped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004   #10
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 95473 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, they need to do something.

Because right now, the field, as it is now, is generating negative publicity. Negative publicity is what it is. It doesn't matter who is generating it, or why. If the environmental condition exists to where it causes negative publicity, then something needs to be done about the environment.

Do whatever it takes. Just get that crappy field out of Reliant.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004   #11
HJam72
Hall of Fame

We all thought it was gonna be an open air field, but it's just a moon roof, lol. Still very nice, but the grass has got to be fixed somehow.
Old 12-13-2004   #12
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Biped
It is my understanding that you cannot use field turf in a "tray" system because of the base that has to be laid beneath the surface. I've heard that multiple times when talking to people about field turf.

That may very well be true. I have to admit that I don't know anything at all about that. It would not come as a shock though to see them figure out how to do this within 3 years. Working out how to make grass grow well in Reliant Stadium has had that much time invested and they appear no closer to a solution.
Old 12-13-2004   #13
Harry Biped
Rookie

Yeah, the field looks terrible when you get a close look at it. They have to do something about it no doubt. Especially if they want to get the Superbowl again in 2009.
Old 12-13-2004   #14
pek281
Rookie

Rep Power: 17 pek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden coverpek281 could be on the next Madden cover

I didn't realize they're no longer using the tray system. They used it all of the first year right? When did this change?
pek281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004   #15
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

well if they decided to make the change to field turf.. doesnt seem like it would be that difficult for them to take out the trays and replace it with a solid floor for the field turf to be put on.

If the players like it and it reduces maintenance costs and makes the field look better and easier to play on.. why the hell not?
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004   #16
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6845 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected

Grass or field truf, I don't care. Just please, please give me the blue endzones back!!!!
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004   #17
Harry Biped
Rookie

The reason that they use the tray system, and they still do, is because they have to remove the field for the rodeo and concerts and other events that don't use the grass. The reason that the field turf won't work on the tray system, as it has been explained to me, is that the base has to be in larger sections than the small trays allow for and they have no current solution for a facility like Reliant. I'm sure they will find a way to make it work eventually. Someone call Monsanto, they saved the Astrodome way back when. Maybe they could invent Texansturf.
Old 12-14-2004   #18
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTP2110
Grass or field truf, I don't care. Just please, please give me the blue endzones back!!!!

I agree...the blue endzones were the best.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004   #19
coltsfreeney93
Rookie

Your stadium kicks arse! However, the field was in horrible condition before the 1st quarter was even over. It really does put a damper on a awesome facility. I hope you guys get a change soon.
coltsfreeney93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004   #20
gcolby
Veteran

From what I recall seeing, there is just plain concrete under the trays. That's it.

Why can't they install a permanent fieldturf base, and when the rodeo comes, put a hard covering over it?

Aren't there dual use hockey/basketball arenas where the hardwood floor is essentially a tray system? I doubt there is much difference between a bull and Shaq, weightwise.
gcolby is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read