Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Monday Night Football in our near future?

block4carrmore

Practice Squad
Yes there are more improvements needed, but many improvements made. We were on Sunday Night Football on ESPN this past season. Could MONDAY Night Football be far behind? When were they in town last? Let's roll out the red carpet for Al & John.

i imagine that will be a while, dont only play-off teams from the previous year make it on Monday night football. Kind of like the Titans they sucked this year but made it because of last season !

I believe that ABC will have the power to change what games they will broadcast to avoid bad matchups. Thus, they are looking for meaningful games. The only hope the Texans have would be to land a game early in the year to avoid being eliminated once they move out of contention. But to the general populace, since the Texans haven't had a good season yet, any game involving the Texans now would be considered a must-miss.

I dont know about MNF, but i think the Texans are on Sunday Night again next year, i believe against the Titans, thats just what i have heard. MNF is a little ways away, soon but not next year, hope for 2006

i was talking with my brother and we counted that i think it was five teams didn't have a sunday night game while 14 didn't have a monday night game. so that means that you have to be in the playoffs or on the door step to play on monday. i say another sunday night this year and a monday night game in 2006 is possible.

MNF was in Houston last in 1994. Jeff Fisher's first game as a head coach after Pardee was fired late in the season.

Bengals were on Monday Night Football this year so you don't have to be a playoff team. Heck, you don't have to be playoff caliber it looks like. It's definitely a possibility this season. It's the premier stadium in the land and usually Texans home games are good affairs. I'd like to see the Steelers and Texans on MNF.

I have a gut feeling that the Texans will play at Dallas on Thanksgiving 2006.

ABC will still get stuck with some bad games. Remember, as the rule states now, they get to choose from the games shown by the network that has only 1 national game that week and the network gets to protect one game. The only way the Texans would be on Fox is when the Rams or Seahawks come to Reliant and neither of those teams would garner MNFs attention.

They should change the rules, but I don't know if CBS or FOX want to give up any control.

TexanBacker55 said:
Bengals were on Monday Night Football this year so you don't have to be a playoff team. Heck, you don't have to be playoff caliber it looks like. It's definitely a possibility this season. It's the premier stadium in the land and usually Texans home games are good affairs. I'd like to see the Steelers and Texans on MNF.

I have a gut feeling that the Texans will play at Dallas on Thanksgiving 2006.

ABC will still get stuck with some bad games. Remember, as the rule states now, they get to choose from the games shown by the network that has only 1 national game that week and the network gets to protect one game. The only way the Texans would be on Fox is when the Rams or Seahawks come to Reliant and neither of those teams would garner MNFs attention.

They should change the rules, but I don't know if CBS or FOX want to give up any control.

yeah but they were in play-off contention, and had vastly improved from the season before ! We have not even made a push for the play-offs, so its highly unlikly we'd get a MNF game. They want games that will attract viewers, and obviously the Texans dont get much recognition.

Playoff contention, or probably just a nationally known name...

ESPN.com 2004 MNF

Week 1
Indianapolis 24, New England 27
Green Bay 24, Carolina 14
Week 2 Minnesota 16, Philadelphia 27
Week 3 Dallas 21, Washington 18
Week 4 Kansas City 27, Baltimore 24
Week 5 Tennessee 48, Green Bay 27
Week 6 Tampa Bay 21, St. Louis 28
Week 7 Denver 10, Cincinnati 23
Week 8 Miami 14, New York Jets 41
Week 9 Minnesota 28, Indianapolis 31
Week 10 Philadelphia 49, Dallas 21
Week 11 New England 27, Kansas City 19
Week 12 St. Louis 17, Green Bay 45
Week 13 Dallas 43, Seattle 39
Week 14 Kansas City 49, Tennessee 38
Week 15 New England 28, Miami 29
Week 16 Philadelphia 7, St. Louis 20

I'd love to see the Cowboys be our 1st MNF game. It would be great to have it as the opener for the season too, as we have always played the boys as our 1st game every year.

I think there is a 50/50 chance we get a MNF game. I think if we don't get a MNF game we will get a SNF game though. So we should have at least one prime time game next season.

TxDavid said:
I'd love to see the Cowboys be our 1st MNF game. It would be great to have it as the opener for the season too, as we have always played the boys as our 1st game every year.

If you recall we played Miami in the season opener last year, and San Diego in the season opener this year ('04). We're not even scheduled to play the cowboys in '05. Get with it!! :thud:

yeah... but in years we dont play the cowboys during the regular season, they are our first pre-season game (correct me if im wrong)

If I remeber right, didn't I have to sit and watch the Redskins play on MNF & a couple SNF games this year. I hate how the league plays favorites to certain teams. Who cares if Gibbs came back....they still stunk If they can have MNF why can't we?

aj. said:
MNF was in Houston last in 1994. Jeff Fisher's first game as a head coach after Pardee was fired late in the season.

And do you remember the roar of approval when the team came out and lined up in the I formation? I do. It was sweet!

Yes I do. A fullback! What a freaking concept. I also remember all those years without a TE on the roster.

That just goes to show how things change. Back then people wanted to run the ball more and it was only a pipe dream to be able to line up and play smash mouth with anyone.

What's funny is I just pulled out a Gameday from a 1992 MNF win over the Bears at the Dome and there's Chris Palmer's mug as receivers coach and on the next page is an article on Charley Casserly - the upstart and highly successful Redskins GM - complete with a picture of him and Jack Kent Cooke holding the Lombardi from their Super Bowl XXVI win over Buffalo.

The chance of a Monday Night Football game for the Houston Texans in 2005 is absolutely ZERO, they won't be there. You have to be a playoff team the previous season or at least have a winning record. If you are Dallas, Oakland, or Miami, you get a MNF game always no matter the previous season outcome. In the past few years though, there is always one or two teams that pop up on MNF and you are left wondering why were they there?? Still, the Texans will not be there and they should not be there either.

H-TownRules said:
yeah... but in years we dont play the cowboys during the regular season, they are our first pre-season game (correct me if im wrong)
Our 1st pre-season game last year was Denver, here.

Not so fast that is all not true. Yeah Monday Night Football always makes the mistake that they load up the schudele of last years playoff teams, and with all the paraity in the league, a lot of those teams go to the top and then to the bottom.

I think Monday Night Football should be worked like this: There are 16 Monday Night Games a year, plus that season opener on the Thursday Night. Week 17 does not have a Monday Night Game. 16x2 is 32, so why not just give all of the 32 teams on slot on Monday Night? That way its not the same 12 teams on all the time, and each get their prime time shot. Its only fair.........

Plus remember this year MNF put on the Bengals because they thought they were an up and coming team and they haven't been on for like 10 years. Maybe they will see us as an up and coming team and put us on 1 time this year because we have never been on. You never know changes are coming I think to MNF..............their ratings were the lowest ever, but it seems like your saying that every year...............

I'd be willing ot bet that our first MNF game will be next year's contest with the Cowboys; althought I wouldn't be stunned if it happened in 2005.

Oilers/Texans said:
The chance of a Monday Night Football game for the Houston Texans in 2005 is absolutely ZERO, they won't be there. You have to be a playoff team the previous season or at least have a winning record. If you are Dallas, Oakland, or Miami, you get a MNF game always no matter the previous season outcome. In the past few years though, there is always one or two teams that pop up on MNF and you are left wondering why were they there?? Still, the Texans will not be there and they should not be there either.

Unfortunately the Jackals will get one before us.

FILO_girl said:
Unfortunately the Jackals will get one before us.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Do you think ABC wants a MNF game that's not a sell-out? Or with a tarp over 9000 or so seats? :heh:

THEFUTURE said:
I dont know about MNF, but i think the Texans are on Sunday Night again next year, i believe against the Titans, thats just what i have heard. MNF is a little ways away, soon but not next year, hope for 2006
The NFL doesn't announce the schedule until the spring, and the networks don't announce the prime time games until the same time or a little later.

Anyone saying anything about any prime time matchups is just speculating right now.

I almost hope we don't. I hate MNF. It's total ****. They deserve to get the **** games they are always choosing because they anticipate poorly. I hate that the NFL is going to help them out next year with flexibility in choosing games closer to the air date.

If we have to have a MNF game, I hope it's at home so that I can be at the game, not at home having to watch their lame broadcast.

Speedy said:
Our 1st pre-season game last year was Denver, here.

If you mean 'last year' as in 2003, you are correct.

In 2004 the Texans first preseason game was against Dallas at home.

In 2003 the Texans opened preseason at home against Denver and went to Dallas in the second week of preseason.

In 2002, I recall the scrimmage against Dallas at Robertson and at the Alamodome but I don't think we played them in the preseason. The home preseason games were against Miami and Tampa.

aj. said:
If you mean 'last year' as in 2003, you are correct.

In 2004 the Texans first preseason game was against Dallas at home.

In 2003 the Texans opened preseason at home against Denver and went to Dallas in the second week of preseason.

In 2002, I recall the scrimmage against Dallas at Robertson and at the Alamodome but I don't think we played them in the preseason. The home preseason games were against Miami and Tampa.
Yeah, 2003 is what I meant.

In 2002 we played 3 road games in a row, including the Hall of Fame game, (Giants, Saints, Chiefs) before coming home to play the Dolphins and Bucs.

Possibly, if they put it in Houston (so people show up). But both of these cities are considered media backwaters so it's unlikely. We'd have to play some "storied franchise" where all the announcers would do is babble on about the other team (like the Packers game).

aj. said:

When I was a ball boy for the Oilers I carried Jeff Fisher's cords to his head set for this game! My five minutes of fame being on tv behind the coach!

I think if we had gone 8-8 we would have had a decent chance on MNF...Since we failed to reach that mark I think we will have to wait another year. But hey, Texans vs Cowboys would be great.....

Forget about having Dallas on MNF. Hopefully, the Texans will be good enough to play at Dallas on Thanksgiving Day that year and then play sombody else on MNF. Just maybe the Texans will do well enough in '05 to get more than one MNF game that next year as well. Two or three MNF games, a Thanksgiving Day game, maybe a Sunday nighter, or maybe a late season Saturday game. Wow, that would be a lot of national televised games....sounds pretty good to me!

For the record:

Only 1 team this past season did not have a Nationally Televised game and that was the Arizona Cardinals.

Each year we have had a nationally televised game:

2002: Dallas @ Houston ESPN
2003: Indianapolis @ Houston CBS w/ Enberg/Dierdorf
2004: Green Bay @ Houston ESPN
Houston @ NY Jets CBS w/ Enberg/Dierdorf

odds are we'll get a national game and I bet it'll be the Steelers on Sunday Night or @ Seahawks on Sunday Night

This team is gonna have to atleast make the playoffs to get a shot on MNF . The Texans are'nt what you would call a national favorite and they don't have the exposure to be considered prime time yet .

How about Cardinals and Texans on MNF? That would be an attractive matchup don't you think? I mean some people might even pay to see that game.

Anyways, someone said were not even close to national favorites.......I remember one day on ESPN's Around the Horn they were talking about if the Cowboys were still "America's Team" and Woody Paige answered "They aren't even Texas' favorite.........the Texans are" I rolled out of my seat laughing, but hey, you gotta love Woody Paige.

I think we will get 3 Nationally Televised games this year. 1 being with CBS at the noon slot, one being in the later game when we go out west to play the Seahawks maybe, and then again on Sunday Night Football.

Texans Pride said:
When I was a ball boy for the Oilers I carried Jeff Fisher's cords to his head set for this game! My five minutes of fame being on tv behind the coach!
Nice job! By the way, did you ever know Jamie, the ball boy from the Bum Phillips era? He always got a lot of ribbing from everyone at work for having the best job in Houston.... and he did. :)

TexansFan#80 said:
If you recall we played Miami in the season opener last year, and San Diego in the season opener this year ('04). We're not even scheduled to play the cowboys in '05. Get with it!! :thud:

I never said season opener. But I was mistaken we played the Cowboys Week 2 of the 2003 preseason. We played them week 1 of 2002 & 2004. But nonetheless we will play the Cowboys in 2005. In the preseason. What I was trying to say is: The MNF game I want to see is our REGULAR SEASON game against the Cowboys in 2006. :monkey:

TxDavid said:
I never said season opener. But I was mistaken we played the Cowboys Week 2 of the 2003 preseason. We played them week 1 of 2002 & 2004. But nonetheless we will play the Cowboys in 2005. In the preseason. What I was trying to say is: The MNF game I want to see is our REGULAR SEASON game against the Cowboys in 2006. :monkey:

I would need 3 days to recover. But kick *ss if that happened.

The 2006 game will be in Dallas.

I have heard rumblings that both teams would like to have their next preseason game in Mexico where the NFL is very popular.

I highly doubt that the Jaguars and Texans will have a MNF game. I also doubt that the Texans will have a MNF game in 2005.

The ONLY game that I know for sure will be a MNF game is Jaguars @ Steelers. When the Steelers came to Jacksonville, it was the best game of the year and if I remember correctly, had the highest ratings.

And to whoever said there should be a Arizona vs Texans MNF game, thats just stupid. I would hate to watch that game.

Just a quick thought on the earlier post indicating that Miami gets a MNF game no matter what...true till now. It WAS a relatively safe call for ABC because it's been a VERY long time since Miami's had a truly down year. Plus, the weather's usually great in South Florida after mid-September.

BUT...I heard a radio interview of Chris Berman on Hank Goldberg's show here in Miami this morning in which they both said MNF wouldn't be back in Miami for a long time. (This was after Berman also piled onto the city of Jacksonville as a cruddy Super Bowl host...) Berman joked that he'd have to sneak to Florida with the Thursday night crew next fall for a 'Canes game just to have a shot at getting some sun.

That said, I don't think we'll be seeing Miami or Houston on Monday night in '05. Could've done it with a win in Cleveland, playing on the same sympathy card that got the Bengals back on this year, but not after finishing like that.

TexanExile said:
That said, I don't think we'll be seeing Miami or Houston on Monday night in '05. Could've done it with a win in Cleveland, playing on the same sympathy card that got the Bengals back on this year, but not after finishing like that.

So if we had lost at Jacksonville and beaten Cleveland handily instead, would we have gotten a MNF game in your opinion? I tend to disagree. I think there is a decent chance we get a MNF. If we do, it will probably be in Houston. We play competitively here. The last time we were blown out at home was our 2003 home opener (K.C.). It is a pretty safe bet you will get a good game in Reliant Stadium. Plus this team is slowly on the rise. I'm guessing we will be picked around 9-7 by many "experts."

Tulip said:
I almost hope we don't. I hate MNF. It's total ****. They deserve to get the **** games they are always choosing because they anticipate poorly. I hate that the NFL is going to help them out next year with flexibility in choosing games closer to the air date.

If we have to have a MNF game, I hope it's at home so that I can be at the game, not at home having to watch their lame broadcast.

ABC isn't fully to blame for their choices. Sure, they anticipate poorly, but they have to make their choices at the beginning of the season and they only get what's left after the other Networks protect their best matchup.

It would be a scheduling nightmare to get every team on MNF each year. Besides, do you really want to watch Miami at San Fran on MNF?

as I wrote a few weeks ago....

I think the Texans have a good shot of getting on MNF.

Here are my reasons.....

1. Because of the style of play the Texans rarely get blown out. So you can usually count on a good game.

2. Unlike Cinci, Cleveland, and Jax....Houston is not a small market team. Houston is a mid-big market team, with deep pockets and w/ Tons of Corporate sponsors.

:howdy: Where is football bigger than in Texas?:howdy:

3. Houston has some good "off the ball stories". I.E. The Golden boy David Carr, the humble superstar Andre Johnson, rising Rookie star Dunta Robertson.

4. Many expect the Texans to be a playoff caliber team next year. The Texans are on the rise, there is no reason they should not be better next year than they were this year.

5. Mark my words. The Texans will be on Monday Night football next year. The game will be in Houston. They will be requested by the Network to make it a BATTLE RED game, which the Texans will happily do.

I think we will have a MNF game next year. The Jags, Colts or Steelers are good possibilities.
Nice stadium + Team that plays close games at home + Loud Crowd = Great MNF game

Back