Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2008   #141
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Richard Smith/Hoke/Franklin - fired!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
I thought they cracked down on that a few years ago. I can't remember a situation where an established coordinator who was under contract made a move to become Asst. Head Coach somewhere - can you?
Can't think of any off the top of my head but I am pretty sure it has happened a couple times in the past couple off-seasons.
Old 12-30-2008   #142
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingBull View Post
I am guessing they kept Bush as plan B in case they can't get someone better.
Bingo.

That's the smart way to play it.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #143
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Yes and I'm of the opinion that he should know this by now. This is more of that learning curve thing we're all kind of "nervous" about with Kubiak. Yes he's getting better but damn, by the time he gets this all figured out it feels like we'll be dead of old age.

Go find a known quantity Gary. Please!
Sometimes I wonder if Gary means what he says, or if he says goofy stuff sometimes on the spur of the moment that doesn't mean much of anything.

This would fit under the "goofy stuff sometimes on the spur of the moment that doesn't mean much of anything" umbrella.

Surely he should know, by now, that he needs a guy with a recent track record of experience AND success?

I would say Bush has about a 75% chance of being the new DC, and that's why he's retained and not fired today. If the FO interviews and finds a guy who can deliver a defense style that suits the roster and jives with Kubiak's mentality of things...then we'll see an outside guy get the gig.

But it looks like Bush is in the lead today.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #144
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

About damn time!

I cant believe Mike Shanahan is fired tho.
Old 12-30-2008   #145
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9610 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I would say Bush has about a 75% chance of being the new DC, and that's why he's retained and not fired today. If the FO interviews and finds a guy who can deliver a defense style that suits the roster and jives with Kubiak's mentality of things...then we'll see an outside guy get the gig.

But it looks like Bush is in the lead today.
I don't see it. At best I would switch Bush to having the 25% vs 75% for the field. Kubiak made a few statements that lead me to this belief. He said he didn't see any improvement from the defense for the last three years and he implied that he wants to change the direction completely. He also talked about how he would be looking at a lot of candidates, some who have experience and some who don't but he thinks can be good DCs. He has a list and I'm pretty sure he has some early favorites.

Pretty much I think it is a good bet that Bush is a part of our defensive staff next season, but he will not be our DC.
Old 12-30-2008   #146
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Yes and I'm of the opinion that he should know this by now. This is more of that learning curve thing we're all kind of "nervous" about with Kubiak. Yes he's getting better but damn, by the time he gets this all figured out it feels like we'll be dead of old age.

Go find a known quantity Gary. Please!
I think he was being vague because you never know who you will be able to get. He knows you don't always have the opportunity to get your first choice.

Things for the Texans in hiring a DC:

-McNair has $$$
-McNair is considered a good owner. He is very good to his coaching staff. He doesn't meddle.
-No state income tax
-Nice facilities
-Offensive minded head coach won't get in your kitchen so much
-Some core good players
-You know the offense can get good time of possession.

Things against the Texans in hiring a DC:

-Lack of tradition and publicity for the Texans
-Do you really want to take over one of the worst defenses in the league? If you fix it you are a hero, but can you fix it?
-May have more quality 3-4 guys available
-Denver connection people. Head coaches like guys they have a relationship with. Many of the ex-Denver defensive guys are bleh.
Old 12-30-2008   #147
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I am hoping for the Texans to go for an known commodity when it comes to a DC.. We are basically in a "now" phase of this team to get to the playoffs. I would rather have someone that knows how to run this thing and get this defense top notch. Then if the time comes where our DC has to move on to a HC gig .. Then Bush or Holland or whoever is on the staff will gain some more knowledge and then if they have to step in, they can and hopefully we as fans can feel comfortable with that. Right now I don't feel Comfortable with the "experience" that Bush has.. He might have book smarts, but would he have "game day" smarts..

time will tell

and by the way, I changed my avatar to the "thumbs up smiley" ad few days ago to give Kubiak the green light to do the firing
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-30-2008   #148
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
-Denver connection people. Head coaches like guys they have a relationship with. Many of the ex-Denver defensive guys are bleh.
The results certainly have been bleh, but I wonder if there is a groceries argument. Look at how there defense has been built recently--cast offs, busts and 2nd day picks with a couple exceptions in Bailey and DJ Williams.

Shanahan was the grocery shopper. Interesting rumor is Denver told Shanahan to get rid of their DC and he refused so they canned the lot.
Old 12-30-2008   #149
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
The results certainly have been bleh, but I wonder if there is a groceries argument. Look at how there defense has been built recently--cast offs, busts and 2nd day picks with a couple exceptions in Bailey and DJ Williams.

Shanahan was the grocery shopper. Interesting rumor is Denver told Shanahan to get rid of their DC and he refused so they canned the lot.
Smith = Slowik
Old 12-30-2008   #150
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Congrats to Gary Kubiak for opening the 2nd envelope.

Quote:

Things against the Texans in hiring a DC:
How about coming on board with a head coach working on the 4th year of a 5 year contract. Not exactly job security. And having to take on assistants he may not know or may not be familiar with his coaching style or schemes.

Of course, Kubiak on the hot seat might be intriguing for a DC looking to vulture a head coaching job. Which is why Kubiak might want to stay away from a big name or young hot shot.
Old 12-30-2008   #151
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142254 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

How about coming on board with a head coach working on the 4th year of a 5 year contract. Not exactly job security. And having to take on assistants he may not know or may not be familiar with his coaching style or schemes.

Of course, Kubiak on the hot seat might be intriguing for a DC looking to vulture a head coaching job. Which is why Kubiak might want to stay away from a big name or young hot shot.
Kubiak being on the hot seat next year actually fueled my fear that they would hold onto Smith and fire the lot of them if they didn't improve next year. Silly reasoning, I know, considering the Texans have to improve the defense in order for us to really win, but that was my train of thought regardless.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #152
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Smith = Slowik
You mean without the 8 years of experience as a DC?

This is starting to get very Goldilocks:

I want someone with prior DC experience.
I want someone with no connection to Denver.
Has to be a 4-3 guy.
Has to come from a last job where the D was really good.

Not sure the porridge is ever going to be just right.

I'm not advocating Slowik, but this is why I am saying keep an open mind (on everything except the 4-3 guy) and consider folks like the DB & LB coach from Philly.
Old 12-30-2008   #153
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
You mean without the 8 years of experience as a DC?

This is starting to get very Goldilocks:

I want someone with prior DC experience.
I want someone with no connection to Denver.
Has to a 4-3 guy.
Has to come from a last job where the D was really good.

Not sure the porridge is ever going to be just right.
I was referring to the hard head, stubborn, point of procedure applying coach because he earned it (Shanahan) and young turk, whose king maker is without a job that was told (implied) to get rid of his DC, within the context that their respective DCs left them exposed during the season and this off season.
Old 12-30-2008   #154
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
I was referring to the hard head, stubborn, point of procedure applying coach because he earned it (Shanahan) and young turk, whose king maker is without a job that was told (implied) to get rid of his DC, within the context that their respective DCs left them exposed during the season and this off season.
OK--that went totally over my head the first time--I was being very literal.
Old 12-30-2008   #155
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 23884 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Quote:
...Things for the Texans in hiring a DC:

-McNair has $$$
-McNair is considered a good owner. He is very good to his coaching staff. He doesn't meddle.
-No state income tax
-Nice facilities
-Offensive minded head coach won't get in your kitchen so much
-Some core good players
-You know the offense can get good time of possession....
... and most likely, this draft and FA's will be focused more on the defensive side. (again)
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #156
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If Kubiak hires a DC out of fear then he deserves whatever he gets. Hire the guy you think will be the best for the job (veteran, hot-shot, no name) and you are most likely going to save it than if you try to avoid certain types.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #157
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

...24 hrs ago, gary pubicly stated he let his young, hot shot OC call the best offensive red zone game of the yr. you really think kubiak is that kind of insecure HC that worries about people showing him up after that?
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #158
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Of course injuries had nothing to do with the poor season, this year.
Old 12-30-2008   #159
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34588 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

Mr. Smith sparò ,Mr Hoke огонь , Mr. Franklin disparado !
Obrigado !Merci ! Danke !
Old 12-30-2008   #160
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
...you really think kubiak is that kind of insecure HC that worries about people showing him up after that?
"There's two kinds of coaches, them that's fired and them that's gonna be fired." - O.A. "Bum" Phillips

Don't think for a second that Kubiak isn't aware of that. He just saw his Super Bowl winning mentor canned. He realizes that 2009 is a make or break year. Kubiak will hire a DC he knows and trusts. Kubiak said after the road loss at Indy that he had the right people. Maybe he believes he has the right people, but they have the wrong job description.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read